hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Winter break

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar

Winter break

In my opinion it’s a good thing. Just think we should have played on 2nd January, rather than have a midweek progranme on Wednesday 24th January
    Any thoughts ?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In my opinion it’s a good thing. Just think we should have played on 2nd January, rather than have a midweek progranme on Wednesday 24th January
    Any thoughts ?
    Totally agree

It’s ludicrous.We’ve just had an international break ,will play seven games in Decemberincluding three in a week and then close down.

@hibs.net private member
    Any thoughts ?
    Not a fan to be honest, only three Saturday home games between the end of the winter shutdown and the split, there are also three midweek games between 24th of Jan and 28th of Feb, seems self defeating to have the break then have three Saturday\Wednesday games in a month, surely better to spread them out instead of the winter shutdown.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    It's a total and utter farce. The only reason players need a break in January is because they are ****ed after playing very couple of days in December!! Having the most games in a short period during the most expensive time of the year shows a complete disregard for the fans

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Serves no purpose whatsoever.
    A glut of games over festive period, then have a break before restarting with 5 games in 15 days and asking teams to travel midweek in middle of winter.
    Don't get it at all.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    It’s ludicrous.We’ve just had an international break ,will play seven games in Decemberincluding three in a week and then close down.
    Then return to 4 games in 11 days to close out January.

I'll also add my name to the "not a fan" list.
    Mon the Hibs.

A winter break would be alright if we didn’t ram as many games as possible before and after. Kind of defeats the purpose for me!

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    The Winter break would work if weather in this country was predictable. It isn't.

Watch us have a mild January followed by a freezing/wet February and March. In fact, I hope we do - sooner we'll do away with it.

Time will tell but personally I don't agree with it.

Coaching Staff
    To be honest I think it will be of great benefit to both Darren and Danny for non-footballing reasons - mentally and emotionally. Really looking forward to seeing them both back in the squad and playing important roles in the first team, especially Danny

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    To be honest I think it will be of great benefit to both Darren and Danny for non-footballing reasons - mentally and emotionally. Really looking forward to seeing them both back in the squad and playing important roles in the first team, especially Danny
    Agree, re Danny. He looked like he was going to turn game against Aberdeen when he came on, and I once he’s back I’m confident he’ll be the missing link we need to get those extra goals or unlock defences.

Coaching Staff
    Any thoughts ?
    Can't say I like it, I think the playing season as a whole needs revamped.

@hibs.net private member Kojock's Avatar
    Great idea, means I won't miss any games whilst I'm in Mexico.

Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    It's a total and utter farce. The only reason players need a break in January is because they are ****ed after playing very couple of days in December!! Having the most games in a short period during the most expensive time of the year shows a complete disregard for the fans
    Hear hear.

Daft idea. It was only proposed so that Sevcotic could play money spinning friendlies in exotic locations.

Blog Entries
    Couldn't have put it any better. In addition it's impossible to predict just when winter will truly strike. There's been previous when we've had balmy weather during the break & blizzards on the intended return. A farce indeed!

As I've said a few times on here recently. What is astonishing is that the clubs themselves must have been in favour of this spread of fixtures, or at least the majority of premiership clubs were. IMO its absolutely indicative of the poor governance of the game and the astonishing lack of commercial awareness of the folk running it that they bombard the fans they rely on for their major source of revenue with the most fixtures in the most expensive month of the season.

If I didn't have a season ticket there is no way I could afford to attend all of Hibs fixtures in December:

Celtic £28 .... Sevco £28 .... Ross County £22 .... Killie £22 ....... That's a total of £100 without even taking into account travel costs etc which more than doubles that figure.

If you are a walk up fan with kids or an away supporter the total cost of following Hibs in December will be prohibitive ... I wouldn't be in the least surprised if December turns out to be the month with the lowest overall league attendance figures when the season is over. As for the winter break itself ... In Scotland the weather is so unpredictable between December and March that there's every chance all a winter break will do is lead to a massive fixture backlog later in the year, all it will take is two weeks of terrible weather in January or February.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jgl07 View Post
    Daft idea. It was only proposed so that Sevcotic could play money spinning friendlies in exotic locations.
    Sevcotic

Never seen that before, I hope it catches on.
    Mon the Hibs.

Any thoughts ?
    Totally agree.

Summer football for me we would soon get used to it, league deciders in December cup final on new years day and then shut down till mid march as more years than not you will miss the worst of the weather.
    Been waiting ten years since it was proposed though, so don't hold out much hope for change.

Aye a brilliant idea. Miss six weeks in the middle of the season every second year or risk going head to head with wall to wall televised matches in the World Cup and the European Championships.

Plus the added bonus of thousands of season ticket cancellations from those who go on holiday in the Summer.

Heard we are back out in Spain this year. Anyone she'd light on this.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Theinsider View Post
    Haven’t heard anything, but will be good temp in early Jan. Hope they get back well before the Hearts, unlike the situation just before the league cup final against Ross County

Any thoughts ?
    tend to agree, as well as Franks. lots of people have said we should shut down for a couple of winter weeks. getting the right weeks is the trick mind you, our chums may be in a winter Meltdown, with all these games coming after the break

Quote Originally Posted by Theinsider View Post
    I've heard it's the Algarve