hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar

Football in school grounds - could be any school in Scotland...

And we ask why sports are declining...

Football in the School Grounds

Our school grounds are very busy thoroughfares in the mornings before school starts. We would like to ensure that everyone enjoys a safe and calm environment and therefore would kindly ask that football is not played in the grounds before the school bell in the morning or for a few minutes directly after the bell at the end of the day. The top grass is a great place to run about before school starts if you arrive early with your child. P3 to P7 pupils have had this discussion within assembly this week.

Not as bad as my sons previous school - no one was allowed to take a football in to school
    Last edited by Viva_Palmeiras; 17-11-2017 at 03:31 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    Nothing changes really..I went to Trinity Primary between about 1973 - 1980 and we weren't allowed footballs throughout Primary School. We had to make our own sock balls...that was a real dark art !

@hibs.net private member HiBremian's Avatar
    We had 4 "pitches" in our (primary) school grounds, permanently used before school, lunchtime and playtimes. That was the 60's, golden era.

Corstorphine primary don’t allow football at all in the playground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've known of schools banning tig so schools not allowing football doesn't surprise me

Sad and terrible decision. In this day in age when kids need every encouragement to step away from electronics etc, we have have schools blocking time that's perfectly suited to a kick about or tag or whatever else. Nanny state that's lost the plot. I agree there has always been silly no ball rules in certain places but kids should have areas that ball games can be played. It's a sad state

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    To be fair, they're asking football is not played AT ALL before morning bell and for the few minutes after afternoon bell until folk disperse,,,,that's better than a total ban.
    I wouldn't imagine many kids play football before morning bell as MOST kids get dropped off at the last minute by their parents, that's why they have to park on pavements and the zig-zags obviously (as witnessed most mornings at South Gyle PS).

First Team Breakthrough chasitup's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by worcesterhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nothing changes really..I went to Trinity Primary between about 1973 - 1980 and we weren't allowed footballs throughout Primary School. We had to make our own sock balls...that was a real dark art !
    That made me laugh. I was at Trinity Primary in 1882-1983 and it was a right downer when the socks all started to unravel.

@hibs.net private member FitbaFolkKen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chasitup View Post
    That made me laugh. I was at Trinity Primary in 1882-1983 and it was a right downer when the socks all started to unravel.
    That's a fair old stint in Primary!

@hibs.net private member Rattler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    Corstorphine primary don’t allow football at all in the playground.

Probably one of the worst playgrounds I can think of anyway. Around 600 kids and not a blade of grass in site, uneven tarmac and a parent funded playground that is still fenced off and can’t be used.

Wouldn’t surprise me if it’s waiting to be passed by the Council...but suppose the kids will have to wait their turn until the masses are finished at Tynecastle!

[QUOTE=VivaPalmeiras;5222062]And we ask why sports are declining...

Our school grounds are very busy thoroughfares in the mornings before school starts. We would like to ensure that everyone enjoys a safe and calm environment and therefore would kindly ask that football is not played in the grounds before the school bell in the morning or for a few minutes directly after the bell at the end of the day. The top grass is a great place to run about before school starts if you arrive early with your child. P3 to P7 pupils have had this discussion within assembly this week.

Not as bad as my sons previous school - no one was allowed to take a football in to school[/QUOTE
    It’s about safety for nursery and/or P1s, nothing to do with banning fitba. Most schools have a ‘no ball’ policy as it can cause real issues. The school should provide fitba’s If this policy is enforced.

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FitbaFolkKen View Post
    He kept being put back a year ! lol

Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    To be fair, they're asking football is not played AT ALL before morning bell and for the few minutes after afternoon bell until folk disperse,,,,that's better than a total ban.
    I wouldn't imagine many kids play football before morning bell as MOST kids get dropped off at the last minute by their parents, that's why they have to park on pavements and the zig-zags obviously (as witnessed most mornings at South Gyle PS).
    You’re right theyre effectively banning it in the morning - you’re welcome to run around on the grass - not play football.

At Stockbridge (albeit the 70s before it became the postcode hotspot) we played before, during breaks / lunch and after school on concrete.

We were still crap and never won a game in 2 years but competitiveness in Stocky during the 70s wasn’t what it was all about :)

More importantly what was it like to see the cup brought back on an open carriage and horse?
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibeeg

Football in school grounds - could be any school in Scotland...

At least they’re allowed on the grass, my kids headteacher used to ban them from going on the grass if it was wet which was most days.

She hated Football until she realised they had loads of good players that could actually win the league and cups so started turning up when cups were being given out.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar

When I was at college in the weege, St Al... (no idea how to spell it) boys played every day on a very small patch of ground in the city centre around twelve games of football at the same time. Was quite uncanny how they never overlapped.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattler View Post
    Probably one of the worst playgrounds I can think of anyway. Around 600 kids and not a blade of grass in site, uneven tarmac and a parent funded playground that is still fenced off and can’t be used.

Wouldn’t surprise me if it’s waiting to be passed by the Council...but suppose the kids will have to wait their turn until the masses are finished at Tynecastle!
    It is indeed waiting on the council passing it off. Completed in August but sitting there all fenced off just torturing the kids.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    I went to Longstone primary and there was (IIRC) 3 acres of well cut grass we could play on - there was often 4-5 matches at any given time.

Left by mutual consent!
    3 pitches for me in the 90s all on gravel no complaints the p7 had top pitch. They now have a AstroTurf pitch where we used to play so not all bad.

No football pitches, but my wife tells me that Jim McArthur was her PE teacher at her Primary.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Wallyford primary had a small concrete football pitch. There used to be about 3 or 4 games going on at any one time.

74-81 here, and my memory of the sock balls was how quickly they looked more like a rugby ball once the game started.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

First Team Breakthrough chasitup's Avatar
    I look good for my age though.

@hibs.net private member Bookkeeper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    74-81 here, and my memory of the sock balls was how quickly they looked more like a rugby ball once the game started.
    1968-75 for me. Haven't thought about playing with sock balls in the playground for a long time... bringing back a lot of good memories

Quote Originally Posted by VivaPalmeiras View Post
    And we ask why sports are declining...

Not as bad as my sons previous school - no one was allowed to take a football in to school
    Ha, that's my daughter's primary school, Parsons Green.

Don't think it's too unreasonable as there are a lot of little P1's , not to mention their younger siblings who often tag along on the drop off, who could get knocked flying by a random ball if they're not paying attention as little ones do.

Plenty of time at break and lunchtime to hone the skills, i know there's plenty games going on as my daughter often joins in.

Just recently they had a coach from the Hibs taking them for PE for a few weeks (P2), not football, just general gym class, she enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    No football pitches, but my wife tells me that Jim McArthur was her PE teacher at her Primary.
    Mine too, at the Royal High, around 1979/1980 period. It was pretty exciting for a very keen 10 year old Hibs fan.

From memory he was back up to Mike McDonald when he started the role at Royal High, but he took over as number 1 keeper during his spell at the school, so that was exciting for us.

Very nice bloke and good teacher, took us for rugby, football, whatever was needed.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    He was my teacher at Royal High Primary and we still were only allowed to play with a tennis ball on the tarmac playground. Huge area of grass at the side which is now Morrisons reserved for official sports. Jim did start the football team at Royal High. He crashed the mini bus on the way back from one of our earlier games. Nice guy and a very good PE teacher. My last year was 1980 I think and he was playing in goals for Hibs around that time.

@hibs.net private member Newcastlehibby's Avatar
    I was at Trinity Primary from 1959. We played football in the tennis courts using sock balls. Great way of developing skills.

@hibs.net private member Newcastlehibby's Avatar
    If Mrs Oliver had been your teacher, it would have felt like 101 years, believe me.