hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I thought she was great and the overall programme was one of my favourites of this year's Proms. Really good balance with the Part and the Sibelius.

Interestingly, Martin Kettle in The Guardian lambasted her for being too theatrical. I'm not familiar with his commentary on the arts, only on politics. Was never impressed with him then and not impressed with him now.
    That strikes me as a very strange criticism when it's such a dramatic piece of music anyway - must be hard to play without some theatrics. Eric Morecambe tried it and everybody laughed at him.

I missed the first Part of the concert (d'ye see what I did there?) but I did enjoy the Sibelius as well.

It's Brahms and Liszt Hungarian Dances next Friday - should be fun.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Just heard Ashokan Farewell on Classic FM. They used to play it a lot, but I hadn't heard for a while.

The first time I heard I thought it must be Scottish but it was written relatively recently by an American whose name escapes me. It does have a distinctly Scottish feel to it and according to Wiki it was written in the style of a Scottish lament.

Lovely tune anyway.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Caversham Green View Post
    That strikes me as a very strange criticism when it's such a dramatic piece of music anyway - must be hard to play without some theatrics. Eric Morecambe tried it and everybody laughed at him.

I missed the first Part of the concert (d'ye see what I did there?) but I did enjoy the Sibelius as well.

It's Brahms and Liszt Hungarian Dances next Friday - should be fun.
    The Brahms and Liszt was really good. Fine performance of Brahms First, notwithstanding the very heavy Beethowbven influence and that section where he practically replicates Ode to Joy.

The break in between when they talked about Roma culture was fascinating. Also enjoyed the way the conductor explained and highlighted the gypsy instruments and style of play in the first half.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

The Brahms and Liszt was really good. Fine performance of Brahms First, notwithstanding the very heavy Beethowbven influence and that section where he practically replicates Ode to Joy.

The break in between when they talked about Roma culture was fascinating. Also enjoyed the way the conductor explained and highlighted the gypsy instruments and style of play in the first half.
    I've recorded it but haven't watched it yet so don't tell me how it ends...

Posted a separate thread about transitions, bridges and resolutions in music, but thought this deserved a post in its own right on the classical thread.

I think my favourite is probably Sibelius and the way the third movement resolves into the refrain that permeates the fourth movement. It’s not complicated, it’s unashamedly populist but it is undoubtedly stirring.

Any others?
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

I've recorded it but haven't watched it yet so don't tell me how it ends...
    Miss Scarlet in the library with the dagger.

Sorry.

Miss Scarlet in the library with the dagger.

Sorry.
    Might as well delete it - no point in watching it now.

Left by mutual consent!
    Gorecki symphony number three (symphony of sorrowful songs)
    This has played worldwide to a film backdrop of scenes from concentration camps during the war. It's about parents being separated from children and separation due to war

It's a gut wrenchingly emotional and powerful piece

I've got a book of Beethoven's letters. Turns out he had an agent in Edinburgh and several of the letters are addressed to him in York Place.
    They mainly concern publication of some Scottish Songs - not his finest work it has to be said.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hibby View Post
    Gorecki symphony number three (symphony of sorrowful songs)
    This has played worldwide to a film backdrop of scenes from concentration camps during the war. It's about parents being separated from children and separation due to war

It's a gut wrenchingly emotional and powerful piece
    For reasons I don't understand now I didn't really like this when I first heard it but I well up every time I listen to it now. It's worth looking up on YouTube if you're in a reflective mood.

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    I've got a book of Beethoven's letters. Turns out he had an agent in Edinburgh and several of the letters are addressed to him in York Place.
    They mainly concern publication of some Scottish Songs - not his finest work it has to be said.
    Yes, as much as I like Beethoven his Scottish songs don't do much for me. Mendelssohn did a better job with his Symphony No.3 and Hebrides Overture. On the subject of Mendelssohn, for anyone just getting into classical music try his violin concerto, particularly the first movement - very catchy on the first hearing.

This one's had a few plays on Classic FM recently. It's a bit of a curate's egg for me, but since it includes a bit of Auld Lang Syne it seems appropriate for today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3BspjhWC_c

A peaceful and prosperous New Year to all.

Opera Piece to listen to.

Va Pensiero from Nabucco.

Was tipped to be the Italian National Anthem at one time.

This one's had a few plays on Classic FM recently. It's a bit of a curate's egg for me, but since it includes a bit of Auld Lang Syne it seems appropriate for today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3BspjhWC_c

A peaceful and prosperous New Year to all.
    And likewise to you CG.

Quote Originally Posted by HibbyDave View Post
    Va Pensiero from Nabucco.

Was tipped to be the Italian National Anthem at one time.
    I'm very fond of this chorus. If I recall correctly, British Airways used it in their advert years ago.

Verdi's operas are rightly revered, though I'm not ashamed to be more populist and admit my leanings to Puccini.

For me, Verdi's Macbeth and Otello are probably underlooked, Macbeth especially. Don Carlos is also a mighty, mighty opera but one that can be difficult to engage with. I've probably not explained that well. You know you are hearing a masterpiece but sometimes it doesn't necessarily feel like it, then you get reminded that you are.

Went to Puccini festival st Torre de Lago in the summer last year. Wonderful experience.

Just a heads up - Mozart's Requiem is on the BBC4 Proms programme tomorrow night, along with Brahms's Tragic Overture and the Prelude and Liebestod from Wagner's Tristan and Isolde.

Not the cheeriest of music, but all great pieces IMO.

Just a heads up - Mozart's Requiem is on the BBC4 Proms programme tomorrow night, along with Brahms's Tragic Overture and the Prelude and Liebestod from Wagner's Tristan and Isolde.

Not the cheeriest of music, but all great pieces IMO.
    Good shout. I had totally forgotten about the Proms until they actually started. Prelude and Liebestod is magnificent, and quite possibly one of the best ways to explain ‘Wagnerian’ to someone who isn’t familiar with Dicky.

In celebration of our latest signing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1wQ8ZMZq60&t=57s

Bonus points for anyone who can put words to it for a football song...

Good shout. I had totally forgotten about the Proms until they actually started. Prelude and Liebestod is magnificent, and quite possibly one of the best ways to explain ‘Wagnerian’ to someone who isn’t familiar with Dicky.
    Having the Proms the same time as Edinburgh Festivals is a problem! I always forget too.

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Having the Proms the same time as Edinburgh Festivals is a problem! I always forget too.
    It definitely is! I struggle to book for the EIF as it is also school holidays, and invariably never even think about the Proms until they have started.

Maybe next year. Could actually be a nice combo with the cricket at Lord's or The Oval.

Dug this thread up to let opera lovers know that Met Opera are streaming different performances every day through the lockdown - https://www.metopera.org/user-information/nightly-met-opera-streams/

It was Tosca last night and it was excellent. I would have posted this earlier, but I only found out about it myself recently.

Dug this thread up to let opera lovers know that Met Opera are streaming different performances every day through the lockdown - https://www.metopera.org/user-information/nightly-met-opera-streams/

It was Tosca last night and it was excellent. I would have posted this earlier, but I only found out about it myself recently.
    Nice one Cav

I had quite a lot of stuff saved on my Q Box, but it is starting to run dry, especially since Sky Arts cut one of their channels and prioritised ‘popular’ music. Before they did that I genuinely struggled to have enough space to record everything. Now it’s a case of there maybe being something once a fortnight.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar

My girlfriend’s last day at Scottish Opera is today. I’ll miss the staff tickets to the opera. I loved it. Tosca was my first live opera.

Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    My girlfriend’s last day at Scottish Opera is today. I’ll miss the staff tickets to the opera. I loved it. Tosca was my first live opera.
    Sorry for your news. I have seen productions by various opera companies and Scottish Opera have always stood up for me, in terms of the staging of their productions and the artists they use.

My first was La Traviata. I took my mother and sister as a joint birthday gift, not sure whether I was going to enjoy it. I came out totally converted and Mum and Sis were both in tears.

It's La Traviata tonight. Spoiler alert, not a happy ending.

My first was La Traviata. I took my mother and sister as a joint birthday gift, not sure whether I was going to enjoy it. I came out totally converted and Mum and Sis were both in tears.

It's La Traviata tonight. Spoiler alert, not a happy ending.
    Let’s face it, not that many do.

My first was Madama Butterfly. It was a minimalist staging, so it was really all about the singing. I was familiar with opera from studying music at school but being at a live performance blew me away.

Let’s face it, not that many do.

My first was Madama Butterfly. It was a minimalist staging, so it was really all about the singing. I was familiar with opera from studying music at school but being at a live performance blew me away.
    True, opera just doesn't work as well when they all live happily ever after.

The very start of La Traviata did it for me - the slightly melancholy overture followed by the curtain going up to a colourful party scene and Brindisi. A mate told me that last night's performance was a minimalist setting so I didn't tune in as I felt it wouldn't be the same - ok if it was live, but minimalist and onscreen just didn't really appeal. If anyone did watch it, was it any good?

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Sorry for your news. I have seen productions by various opera companies and Scottish Opera have always stood up for me, in terms of the staging of their productions and the artists they use.
    I didn't mean that she had lost her job. She had got a new job based in Edinburgh as she was sick of the commute to Glasgow and was working her 3 months notice when Coronavirus happened. They seem like they are treating their staff as best they can. Her new job is also in the arts sector so it is all a bit worrying at the moment but the signs are that her new job is as safe as it could be at the moment.

I didn't mean that she had lost her job. She had got a new job based in Edinburgh as she was sick of the commute to Glasgow and was working her 3 months notice when Coronavirus happened. They seem like they are treating their staff as best they can. Her new job is also in the arts sector so it is all a bit worrying at the moment but the signs are that her new job is as safe as it could be at the moment.
    Aah, picked you up wrong, sorry. That sounds good, the arts sector is obviously suffering but will pick up if and when we start getting back to some sort of normality.

Another heads up. A series about Beethoven to mark the 250th anniversary of his birth starts tomorrow at 9.00 pm on BBC4 - narrated by Peter Capaldi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsSI1V713jk

Excellent. I have seen Capaldi narrate documentaries before, one about the Glasgow School of Art and one in the Royal Scottish Academy or the National Gallery , and I was actually there when he was filming.

He is a tremendous presenter.