hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: aberhibsfc

Commons - Any News?

Anyone heard any news on Kris Commons recovery, potential signing for Hibs?

2. Log in to remove the advert

He is an old fragile man

I think the news is that nobody is giving much of an eff you see kay anymore, least not Commons and Lennon themselves.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Not required and as another month passes us by the thought of him signing is getting less and less welcome.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not required and as another month passes us by the thought of him signing is getting less and less welcome.
    Speak for yourself. If he gets fit enough to warrant a deal then he'd be an important addition to the squad.

I think his quality is being totally dismissed because of the time has been out - that's a fitness issue and if that can be overcome then brilliant - if not then we won't sign him.

Commons has quality - we saw that last year when that quality was able to make a significant impact for us in the short time he was here.

If he can get fit and NL thinks he is able to contribute I think it would be great to have someone who could give us just that extra bit in the final third - even if it's from the bench and for a short period.

He'd be more of a hindrance than a help coming in half way through the season having not kicked a ball since he was with us. He got away with it in the Championship but won't in the Premiership.

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    No lose gamble for me.

Good player and different to what we already have.

If he recaptures his form brilliant, if not then it wont have cost a lot.

He did ok in his wee cameo for us in the championship, scored a few important goals in fact which were very welcome, but it was pretty clear he wasn't fit. As the weeks go by I cant say the prospect of him signing fills me with excitement, at best for me he would be a back up and nothing more.

As a player he might struggle a bit and I would not be concerned if he missed the boat with us, but he might be a very good addition to our coaching staff in terms of letting some of the younger guys know what it takes to have a good career in football. I thought he was a very good player, but it is anyone's guess what he has left in his legs.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Speak for yourself. If he gets fit enough to warrant a deal then he'd be an important addition to the squad.

I think his quality is being totally dismissed because of the time has been out - that's a fitness issue and if that can be overcome then brilliant - if not then we won't sign him.
    Yes the longer he's out the further away we will be from signing him and rightly so. His quality really ain't that top notch. Decent player, no more than that. What he has to offer is diminishing every month.

Blog Entries
    I think the team as it stands will probably drift between fourth and seventh positions in the league. The addition of a touch of class might enhance our chances of better. Our present budget won’t stretch to bringing in the quality of player to do that but if the likes of a willing Commons is available, I reckon we have nothing to lose by giving him a chance. On the other hand, if it doesn’t happen, we won’t suffer.

At his age I wonder how long it would take him to shift the weight he's carrying? Ok he's never looked a total athlete but he looked pretty hefty on TV lately.

No doubt he's a quality player but I wonder if he can get fit enough to cope with the pace of the game.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    If he can get fit, he may well sign, if he can't then we wont.

Its no big deal.

Left by mutual consent! IlDiavola's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    No lose gamble for me.

Good player and different to what we already have.

If he recaptures his form brilliant, if not then it wont have cost a lot.
    Yep, totally agree with this post.

Is he still using Celtics facilities to get fit if there was to be any chance of us signing him i would of thought Lennon would want him training with us December and January to see how fit he is
    Lennon hasn't mentioned him for a while so assume he isn't yet ready to step up his Training with us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coaching Staff
    Yes the longer he's out the further away we will be from signing him and rightly so. His quality really ain't that top notch. Decent player, no more than that. What he has to offer is diminishing every month.
    Just decent?

Over six years or so in this league he’s scored at a rate of better than 1 in 3. More than decent for a midfielder.

His goals for us came at a crucial time and pulled us away from Dundee Utd at a point it could have gone the wrong way.

Just decent?

Over six years or so in this league he’s scored at a rate of better than 1 in 3. More than decent for a midfielder.

His goals for us came at a crucial time and pulled us away from Dundee Utd at a point it could have gone the wrong way.
    But now he's an ageing, unfit,injured player with his best years behind him and time against him. We had a glimpse and were fortunate he managed to contribute in a lower league. No real loss if he never plays for us again.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronniekirk View Post
    Is he still using Celtics facilities to get fit if there was to be any chance of us signing him i would of thought Lennon would want him training with us December and January to see how fit he is
    Lennon hasn't mentioned him for a while so assume he isn't yet ready to step up his Training with us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Commons is done. His future is in the media. I don't even think he will announce retirement it will just be mentioned one time.

Coaching Staff
    But now he's an ageing, unfit,injured player with his best years behind him and time against him. We had a glimpse and were fortunate he managed to contribute in a lower league. No real loss if he never plays for us again.
    Like Ibrahimovic for example?

You’ve no idea how fit he might be in the coming weeks and months.

If he can prove he is then he’s obviously a quality player who is also fit enough to contribute. If he’s not then we won’t sign him.

I’m not sure why there’s a need to write the guy off. He done a very decent turn for us and some of the comments about him seem to be a bit spiteful. No idea why.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter View Post
    Commons is done. His future is in the media. I don't even think he will announce retirement it will just be mentioned one time.
    Totally agree.

I'd far rather see the likes of Ollie Shaw, Jamie Gullan, Fraser Murray, Porteous etc given a chance than sign a veteran. Commons is now being apprenticed into the arts of a pundit and good luck to him.

GGTTH

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by lgnsh_070362 View Post
    Totally agree.

I'd far rather see the likes of Ollie Shaw, Jamie Gullan, Fraser Murray, Porteous etc given a chance than sign a veteran. Commons is now being apprenticed into the arts of a pundit and good luck to him.

GGTTH
    Totally.

Some right **** on this thread. IF he comes he will train and wont get close to the first team until we think he is ready. People asking for players like Gullan to be put forward never watch a real game of football. The boy would struggle to get in the 1st division. Let the management team do their job and stop slavering pish.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    Some right **** on this thread. IF he comes he will train and wont get close to the first team until we think he is ready. People asking for players like Gullan to be put forward never watch a real game of football. The boy would struggle to get in the 1st division. Let the management team do their job and stop slavering pish.
    I take it I'm one of these real **** on this thread. No offense taken.

I'd always rather give promising youngsters a chance to get close to the first team rather than sign players like Kris Commons who is on the road to being a pundit.

GGTTH

I take it I'm one of these real **** on this thread. No offense taken.

I'd always rather give promising youngsters a chance to get close to the first team rather than sign players like Kris Commons who is on the road to being a pundit.

GGTTH
    You miss the point. Commons will only come will only train and will only play of Lennon things he is ready. I don't think it will happen based on chats with Kris. But if he was fit he is a bonus. The boy you mentioned is never close to being a first team player at Hibs.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    You miss the point. Commons will only come will only train and will only play of Lennon things he is ready. I don't think it will happen based on chats with Kris. But if he was fit he is a bonus. The boy you mentioned is never close to being a first team player at Hibs.
    I've seen many promising young players never given a chance to prove they were worthy. What do these very promising young players have to do nowadays to prove they're worth a shot. I'm of the opinion, lets give them a chance when they're young. No offense to you bud, its just a difference of opinion. Lets get them in the team and see what they can do. I'm sticking with my opinion that I'd far rather see the young guns get a chance than sign Kris Commons who's now a paper and radio pundit.

GGTTH

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    I've seen many promising young players never given a chance to prove they were worthy. What do these very promising young players have to do nowadays to prove they're worth a shot. I'm of the opinion, lets give them a chance when they're young. No offense to you bud, its just a difference of opinion. Lets get them in the team and see what they can do. I'm sticking with my opinion that I'd far rather see the young guns get a chance than sign Kris Commons who's now a paper and radio pundit.

GGTTH
    I’ve seen many a promising young player too. Been frequently and infrequently to watch our various dev teams over the years.

I’ve liked the look of many of those players but very few have made it with Hibs and very few, if any, have gone onto equal or better things.

The margins for young players are extremely tight, ruthless even, but they are fair. In football you get to the level you deserve unless you compromise your talent with your lifestyle choices.

Young players will get the chance if they’re good enough, but managers everywhere will be cautious. They will think about the percentages and that makes them more cautious. I genuinely believe that all of us on here, given the chance to manage, would automatically become more cautious and conservative in our tactics and team selection, and posters who want sweeping changes and lots of youth introduction would change their tune.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

If he can prove he is then he’s obviously a quality player who is also fit enough to contribute. If he’s not then we won’t sign him.

I’m not sure why there’s a need to write the guy off. He done a very decent turn for us and some of the comments about him seem to be a bit spiteful. No idea why.
    I see no spiteful comments just people describing an ageing, unfit, injured player and giving an honest opinion about his worth to Hibs. Comparing him to a player who was performing at the highest level in the EPL before his injury and has been an ultimate professional and supreme atblete as opposed to the guy who ended up in tbe Scottish championship isn't comparable at all.
    Ibrahimovic and Commons have never been on the same spectrum as players.
    As ever just an opinion and it's Lennon's that really counts not mine so we wait and see.
    Last edited by Scouse Hibee; 14-10-2017 at 07:44 AM.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar

Agree he would only be considered if he can contribute so no real loss to see if an option. Last season showed the difference he can make.