hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Uefa nations league

What the hell is this all about?

Seems to be an elaborate way to make sure the biggest nations get an extra attempt to qualify should they fail to normally

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Haymaker View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Seems to be an elaborate way to make sure the biggest nations get an extra attempt to qualify should they fail to normally
    just UEFA inventing new ways for scotland not toqualify?

or

finding new and interesting waysof ‘optimising’ their revenue stream

There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    As I read it, it actually gives the lesser teams a better chance of qualifying. If we were to win League C, I think we qualify directly?

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    As I read it, it actually gives the lesser teams a better chance of qualifying. If we were to win League C, I think we qualify directly?

It's only the top 4 teams in League A who qualify for the finals.

It sounds like a good idea. Games will be much more meaningful than friendlies, with promotion and relegation at stake.

Left by mutual consent!
    Why cant they just stick every teams name in a hat and draw it!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan69 View Post
    Why cant they just stick every teams name in a hat and draw it!
    It's not a full scale knock out tournament.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

So instead of losing to better teams in friendlies we now have to lose to teams at our level in a Qualifying-lite tournament?

Fantastic!

In all seriousness it will take a wee while to get our heads around but it means the Nations Leagues games are all in September-Nov 2018 and then proper qualifiers are all done in 8 months (March 2019-Nov 2019).

Left by mutual consent!
    Reading that fks my head up.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post

It sounds like a good idea. Games will be much more meaningful than friendlies, with promotion and relegation at stake.
    I don't think that's right.

I think one team from each of the Leagues will qualify (in theory).

The group winners from each league play off for a spot in the Euros, so there is a qualification place available from each league. 1 team from league D will qualify so it should give smaller teams a better chance of qualifying as they will face off against smaller teams for a place. One of Azerbaijan, FYR Macedonia, Belarus, Georgia, Armenia, Latvia, Faroe Islands, Luxembourg, Kazakhstan, Moldova, Liechtenstein, Malta, Andorra, Kosovo, San Marino and Gibraltar will qualify.

Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    I don't think that's right.

I think one team from each of the Leagues will qualify (in theory).
    I'm not sure either, but it looks like there are 2 elements to it.

"For the UEFA Nations League Finals, the group winners of UEFA Nations League A will play in a knockout format (semi-finals, third-place match and final) in June 2019 to become the UEFA Nations League winners."

Presumably those games will also be play offs for Euro qualification.

The other 3 leagues will only have play offs for Euro qualification.

I'm more discombobulated than ever 😁
    Last edited by Hibbyradge; 11-10-2017 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sergio sledge View Post
    The group winners from each league play off for a spot in the Euros, so there is a qualification place available from each league. 1 team from league D will qualify so it should give smaller teams a better chance of qualifying as they will face off against smaller teams for a place. One of Azerbaijan, FYR Macedonia, Belarus, Georgia, Armenia, Latvia, Faroe Islands, Luxembourg, Kazakhstan, Moldova, Liechtenstein, Malta, Andorra, Kosovo, San Marino and Gibraltar will qualify.
    That's my understanding. It means that there are 2 possible routes to qualification.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    That's my understanding. It means that there are 2 possible routes to qualification.
    So 2 possible ****-up routes for us?

Who else is in League C, who will beat us on goal difference?

(As an aside, are these continuing near-misses Karmic payback for Joe Jordan's handball....and when will it be paid off?)

I'm not sure either, but it looks like there are 2 elements to it.

"For the UEFA Nations League Finals, the group winners of UEFA Nations League A will play in a knockout format (semi-finals, third-place match and final) in June 2019 to become the UEFA Nations League winners."

Presumably those games will also be play offs for Euro qualification.

The other 3 leagues will only have play offs for Euro qualification.

I'm more discombobulated than ever 😁
    No, the final four playoff for League A to determine the overall winner is separate from the Euro qualification playoff. The final four playoff takes place in June 2019, and the Euro qualification playoffs are in March 2020.

Normal Euro qualification will happen once the initial phase of nations league is finished and the seedings for this draw will be based on the finishing positions in the nations league. There will be 10 groups in qualification and the top 2 will qualify. After qualification is finished the final four places in the euros will come from the nations league play-offs in March 2020. The four group winners in each league will play off for a place in the euros. Unless they have already qualified "If a UEFA Nations League group winner has already qualified via the European Qualifiers, then their spot will go to the next best-ranked team in their league. If a league does not have four teams to compete, the remaining slots are allocated to teams from another league, according to the overall UEFA Nations League rankings."

Simple.....

I'm all for it, it is pretty complicated but it means that pointless international friendlies are reduced and the majority of International games should now mean something.

No, the final four playoff for League A to determine the overall winner is separate from the Euro qualification playoff. The final four playoff takes place in June 2019, and the Euro qualification playoffs are in March 2020.

Normal Euro qualification will happen once the initial phase of nations league is finished and the seedings for this draw will be based on the finishing positions in the nations league. There will be 10 groups in qualification and the top 2 will qualify. After qualification is finished the final four places in the euros will come from the nations league play-offs in March 2020. The four group winners in each league will play off for a place in the euros. Unless they have already qualified "If a UEFA Nations League group winner has already qualified via the European Qualifiers, then their spot will go to the next best-ranked team in their league. If a league does not have four teams to compete, the remaining slots are allocated to teams from another league, according to the overall UEFA Nations League rankings."

Simple.....

I'm all for it, it is pretty complicated but it means that pointless international friendlies are reduced and the majority of International games should now mean something.
    Does that mean that the to 4 teams play in the Nations League finals and again in the play offs?

Yeah, I like the idea generally. I'll like it more once I fully understand it.

Does that mean that the to 4 teams play in the Nations League finals and again in the play offs?
    Possible, but unlikely as the top four in the nations league will probably have already qualified for the Euros, so their places in the playoffs will go to the next best available teams who haven't already qualified.

SCOTLAND have been confirmed as top seeds in the third group in Uefa’s new Nations League tournament.

The draw for the new competition, which will replace international friendlies, takes place on January 24 in Switzerland.

And Scotland will be one of the four top seeds in League C, along with Hungary, Romania and Slovenia, who ended Gordon Strachan’s side’s Road to Russia hopes this week.

The Scots will face either Greece, Serbia, Albania or Norway in Pot Two; Montenegro, Bulgaria, Israel or Finland in Pot Three and either Cyprus, Estonia or Lithuania in the bottom Pot.

Teams will play each other home and away between September and November to determine the winners and losers of each mini-group.

Four places for Euro 2020 will be up for grabs, with each League having a pathway to the Finals, with the Nations League to run alongside the normal European qualifying sections.

Possible, but unlikely as the top four in the nations league will probably have already qualified for the Euros, so their places in the playoffs will go to the next best available teams who haven't already qualified.
    Yes, most likely. Cheers.

Does this not somewhat limit the opportunities to try out younger players in international games? For all international friendlies are crap they at least, in theory anyway, gave managers the chance to look at new players and try other options.

With the prospect of relegation, promotion and jockeying for position for Euro qualification thrown into the mix it's going to make it even harder for fresh faces to get their foot in the door at international level.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Does this not somewhat limit the opportunities to try out younger players in international games? For all international friendlies are crap they at least, in theory anyway, gave managers the chance to look at new players and try other options.

With the prospect of relegation, promotion and jockeying for position for Euro qualification thrown into the mix it's going to make it even harder for fresh faces to get their foot in the door at international level.
    From the UEFA web site.

Will there be no more friendly internationals?

There will certainly be fewer friendly internationals and undoubtedly fewer meaningless friendlies. However, there will still be space in the calendar for friendly internationals – particularly warm-up matches for final tournaments.

UEFA is also keen that European teams will still have the chance to play opponents from other confederations.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Haymaker View Post

A yes the League of Nations can only end well as history showed us
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: EdinburghHibee86
    I really like the idea of it. Let's give it a chance before kicking it into touch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    This actually explains it rather well:

http://www.uefa.com/uefanationsleagu...2507364.html#/

After reading the BBC article twice, this thread, and now the above I think I finally get it!

Instead of 4 of the extra Euro places being given out in regular qualification they are divided up between these 4 leagues and the 4 best teams in each league (who haven't already qualified) then play each other to decide who gets in.

Overall, I think it could be decent.
    Mon the Hibs.

Left by mutual consent!
    Or as this explanatory article puts it 'a revised format which offers the excruciating possibility of Scotland actually making a mess of it twice in their bid to end the cycle of despair by reaching Euro 2020.'

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/scotland/new-uefa-nations-league-could-offer-salvation-to-scotland-1-4582372

I say explanatory, but I don't really understand the format either.

I'm all for it. Brings a competitive edge to all international matches played.

Looking at the pots I'd like Norway, Finland and Cyprus (purely for the trip)

Interested to see what the SFA do for membership prices, ticket prices and venues

Left by mutual consent!
    From the UEFA web site.

Will there be no more friendly internationals?

There will certainly be fewer friendly internationals and undoubtedly fewer meaningless friendlies. However, there will still be space in the calendar for friendly internationals – particularly warm-up matches for final tournaments.

UEFA is also keen that European teams will still have the chance to play opponents from other confederations.
    I'm all for it if it means the end of friendly internationals which are the biggest waste of time on the football calendar.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    For once, I think this is a great new idea from UEFA. Some cracking potential trips and all but ends the need for boring friendlies. If Scotland don't qualify for 2020, where we host three games, we really should just pack it all in!

Left by mutual consent!
    Anyone got odds on Barry Bannan making the Scotland hall of fame at this rate?

One element of the new nations league format is all the teams at the bottom of the pyramid (your standard Andorra, Liechtenstein, Faroes etc) play a league format and the winner qualifies for a European championship spot. The intention is to give one of the minnows a decent shot at qualifying. But according to the podcast I was listening to this is open to abuse; if a mid ranked nation (group c) realises its losing its games in its tier and has no chance of promotion , it could potentially tank its games to gain access to the bottom tier (group d) and a fairly easy passage to a major tournament.

One option for Scotland anyway
    Last edited by hibsbollah; 11-10-2017 at 04:11 PM.