hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Scotland v Slovakia

Getting ready to head through to our 2nd home. Really looking forward to this game. C'mon Scotland! We can do it!

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    Quote Originally Posted by Albanian Hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Getting ready to head through to our 2nd home. Really looking forward to this game. C'mon Scotland! We can do it!
    Taking my son to his first ever Scotland game (and my first in a few years). Team selection will be interesting. Be disappointing if the likes of Bannan and Morrison start over other available players.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    I'm never optimistic before Scotland games and this is no different - they're going to sit in and play very conservatively, and we'll go hell for leather at them, leaving space behind us.

They're fast, and they'll pick us off on the counter.

Would love to be wrong, but another glorious failure awaits IMO.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

I think this will all end in our usual glorious failure but it would be nice if they could at least win tonight, for the 50k fans that are making the effort to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    I'm never optimistic before Scotland games and this is no different - they're going to sit in and play very conservatively, and we'll go hell for leather at them, leaving space behind us.

They're fast, and they'll pick us off on the counter.

Would love to be wrong, but another glorious failure awaits IMO.
    It's definitely odds on failure either tonight or Sunday. And then even bigger odds on in any play off. Be heartening for next Euro qualifiers (where we should have a chance!) to finish 2nd though.

@hibs.net private member Dalianwanda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    There’s no glorious failure this time, just failure if we don’t win. I’m kinda optimistic for some reason today though 😎

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    I’d love ya to at least be in the mix come Sunday.

Heading over to Slovenia tomorrow from Gatwick.

Can’t wait. Hopefully it won’t be for a friendly.

J

First Team Regular Billy McKirdy's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: N?A Wii Code: N?A
    Very confident of a great result tonight

Bit of a blow not having Brown, Armstrong and Ritchie especially as we were building a bit of momentum.

One of my mates is going to the game and said he'd read something about Bannen playing. Don't really rate him at all, and how he gets in instead of McGregor or McGinn is a bit of a mystery to me, except that Strachan does seem to have his favourites.

Gamer IDs

I'm hoping he starts with McGregor in the middle - in the absence of Brown, he provides some real composure, swift feet and a good ability to pick a pass. He's an exceptional young talent with Champions League experience, and would be well deserving of his opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by CallumLaidlaw View Post
    Taking my son to his first ever Scotland game (and my first in a few years). Team selection will be interesting. Be disappointing if the likes of Bannan and Morrison start over other available players.
    I dont get the dislike of Bannan...this was an article on the BBC yesterday

"Bannan has drawn much praise of late. Lee Johnson, the Bristol City manager, said that if he could sign one player from a Championship rival, he'd pick Bannan. Thomas Christiansen, manager of Leeds, said that his team had made plans for Bannan ahead of last weekend's meeting in Sheffield. "We spoke about Bannan being a key player we had to stop, but we were not able to do it," he revealed. Wednesday won 3-0. The Scot was outstanding."

Thats pretty high praise......not sure who else in the squad would get the same attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordy M View Post

"Bannan has drawn much praise of late. Lee Johnson, the Bristol City manager, said that if he could sign one player from a Championship rival, he'd pick Bannan. Thomas Christiansen, manager of Leeds, said that his team had made plans for Bannan ahead of last weekend's meeting in Sheffield. "We spoke about Bannan being a key player we had to stop, but we were not able to do it," he revealed. Wednesday won 3-0. The Scot was outstanding."

Thats pretty high praise......not sure who else in the squad would get the same attention.
    We've been hearing for years how good he is, how well he is playing down South.

Whenever he gets on for Scotland, he just doesn't show the same level of performance, a bit like Chris Martin.

You start to look at the likes of McGinn, who impressed when he played against Denmark, and McGregor, who has become a very accomplished player for Celtic.

Any time I've seen him play for club or country he's been very average. Think he's one of these Ross McCormacks and Jordan Rhodes who have done well at Championship level but then fail at the international stage

First Team Regular Salt N Sauzee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    We've been hearing for years how good he is, how well he is playing down South.

Whenever he gets on for Scotland, he just doesn't show the same level of performance, a bit like Chris Martin.

You start to look at the likes of McGinn, who impressed when he played against Denmark, and McGregor, who has become a very accomplished player for Celtic.
    Impressed? He got Man of The Match.

@hibs.net private member

Big difference between the English championship and a vital World Cup qualifier

Testimonial Due Billychaotic182's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Billy Chaotic PSN ID: BillyChaotic
    This might be a long shot but I’m with the family in Orlando Florida. Does anyone know a bar that might be showing the game? Every bar I’ve called doesn’t have espn3

Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    Well its probably a higher level...

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Billychaotic182 View Post
    This might be a long shot but I’m with the family in Orlando Florida. Does anyone know a bar that might be showing the game? Every bar I’ve called doesn’t have espn3
    I believe its on sky sports main event also....

Gamer IDs

Either the Irish Bar on international drive, or there used to be a small bar down on the 192 that showed the Scotland games.

Not believing that. English football is the pinicle of world football

And if we take the green specs off there is also a big difference with the Scottish Championship where McGinn has played most of his football. I think Bannan or McGinn will do just fine and both would get my full support whoever plays.
    Last edited by Sammy7nil; 05-10-2017 at 03:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Salt N Sauzee View Post
    Impressed? He got Man of The Match.
    That's kind of my point.

McGinn has played a handful of International matches and looked the part.

Bannan has played dozens and never really looked good enough to play at that level, even if he does look the part against Brentford or Rotherham.

Think Strachan will start Fletcher and Morrison to take the places of Armstrong and Brown but really hoping McGinn gets the nod!

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    And if we take the green specs off there is also a big difference with the Scottish Championship where McGinn has played most of his football. I think Bannan or McGinn will do just fine and both would get my full support whoever plays.
    McGinn had played a lot of matches in the Premier League for St Mirren before joining us.

He's experienced at U21 level.

He's played in derbies, cup semis and cup finals for us, as well as being involved in Championship campaigns with little margin for error when you're expected to win every week.

John McGinn isn't an inexperienced wee laddie. He's already packed a lot into a career.

Gordon
    Tierney
    Berra
    Mulgrew
    Robertson
    Fletcher
    Bannan
    Morrison
    Phillips
    Forrest
    Griffiths

Team tonight

Quote Originally Posted by stevie-bee View Post
    Gordon
    Tierney
    Berra
    Mulgrew
    Robertson
    Fletcher
    Bannan
    Morrison
    Phillips
    Forrest
    Griffiths

Team tonight
    Hopefully not. Morrison, Forrest and Phillips offer nothing. I havent been keeping up with it but if Snodgrass's form has picked up on loan at Villa i'd start him and I'd start McGregor.

Quote Originally Posted by stevie-bee View Post
    Gordon
    Tierney
    Berra
    Mulgrew
    Robertson
    Fletcher
    Bannan
    Morrison
    Phillips
    Forrest
    Griffiths

Team tonight
    Do you know this? Phillips and Forest are so worthless in Scotland jerseys. Is that boy who was with Leipzig but is now with WBA injured or what? He had at least a bit of strength and drive about him.

@hibs.net private member Mantis Toboggan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    Do you know this? Phillips and Forest are so worthless in Scotland jerseys. Is that boy who was with Leipzig but is now with WBA injured or what? He had at least a bit of strength and drive about him.
    Burke is back down with the U21 team. Tbh he did nowt when Strachan chucked him in last year.

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Wearing our pink strip tonight because it clashes with slovakia’s kit.
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16