hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Scotland vs Malta

Noticed no one has made a thread for this yet, and I know it's not that glamorous a fixture, but I'm strangely buzzing for this one. I don't really know the squad we have so any ideas on a potential lineup? I'll be watching it on the TV at work, but hoping for another professional win. I think Malta will be knackered after the England game, so could be a big scoreline. On that note, does the group stages go on goal difference or head to head?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member DarlingtonHibee's Avatar
    Just read on the BBC website we have 4 players on a yellow including Griffiths and Brown, hope the manager is careful with selection.

Left by mutual consent!
    Personally I'll just be happy when this international break is over and we can get back to the football that matters. International football does nothing for me.

Quote Originally Posted by DarlingtonHibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just read on the BBC website we have 4 players on a yellow including Griffiths and Brown, hope the manager is careful with selection.
    3 up on Friday they should have given away a daft foul to get the suspension out the way with 2 even bigger games to come in Oct. It's cynical but is done all over the world. Although I'm surprised brown wasn't booked. Gave away his usual 5-10 fouls in a match.

On to tonight I'm buzzing. Was hopeful we'd see SJM from the start but I reckon Strachan will pick the same line up from Friday for continuity.

The France result is probably what we needed to see from a focus and attitude perspective. We need to be on our game from the off and not have the attitude of "we're playing a minnow" mindset.

Still a tall ask to finish 2nd but even before a ball was kicked last sept, we all assumed we'd win this double header and would need to beat Slovakia at home and get something from Slovenia away. Had a couple of results gone our way (lith/england at home or Slovakia dropping points at the weekend) we may not have needed maximum points.

Results go our way tonight and that slovak game in Oct will be massive

@hibs.net private member DarlingtonHibee's Avatar
    Being scotland anything is possible...

@hibs.net private member MartinfaePorty's Avatar
    Looking forward to it. Will be in South Africa for the Slovakia game so this'll be my last game of the qualifiers, barring play-offs.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    Personally I'll just be happy when this international break is over and we can get back to the football that matters. International football does nothing for me.
    I have a few friends that feel the same as your good self in relation to international football.
    Whilst I do miss Saturdays at Easter Road, I still get a great buzz from watching Scotland. I can't wait for tonight's game, I'm finding the anticipation of will we / won't we make the playoffs really exciting.

Couldn't care less about the Scotland team same crap like mcarthur,martin,hanley gets picked each time and the tartan army are just strange.

Hibs to win a throw in over Scotland to win the world cup

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Silky slivka View Post
    Couldn't care less about the Scotland team same crap like mcarthur,martin,hanley gets picked each time and the tartan army are just strange.

Didnt you watch the last game then they were very good. Think Tartan Army get alot criticism for some strange reason, they are incredibly loyal and usually support with a bit of humour also. They gave a donation to a sports club in Lithuania at the weekend also which is a great gesture.

Huge game tonight and hope we win as will set up a massive match v Slovakia. Got the feeling the slovaks may get something from wembley hope not.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Didnt you watch the last game then they were very good. Think Tartan Army get alot criticism for some strange reason, they are incredibly loyal and usually support with a bit of humour also. They gave a donation to a sports club in Lithuania at the weekend also which is a great gesture.

Huge game tonight and hope we win as will set up a massive match v Slovakia. Got the feeling the slovaks may get something from wembley hope not.

No mate I don't watch the national at all. ive had some horrific run ins with the tartan army and they really dodgy yams or sheep sh****Rs

First Team Breakthrough
    Looking forward to the game to. Hopefully catch it as I am currently in Bremen. Anyone got any ideas as to where it might be on in Bremen?
    Cheers

No mate I don't watch the national at all. ive had some horrific run ins with the tartan army and they really dodgy yams or sheep sh****Rs
    I get the impression this says more about you than the tartan army...

Quote Originally Posted by NYHibby View Post
    I get the impression this says more about you than the tartan army...
    don't see what your problem is pal

What's wrong with mcarthur? He made 29 epl appearances last season so obviously he's not a bad player

Quote Originally Posted by samcrowe View Post
    What's wrong with mcarthur? He made 29 epl appearances last season so obviously he's not a bad player

good for him id rather see gauld, McGregor, Christie or mclean be called up more attack minded

I think too much emphasis is placed on this kind of thing.

You need a squad of sufficient and quality and depth to withstand suspension and injury - it's part of the game.

If anyone pussyfoots around trying not to get booked, that is when problems arise.

Full-blooded, get intae them, win tonight then the next game takes care of itself.

It is inevitable that we will miss players over the next 2 games, presumably our opponents will too.

good for him id rather see gauld, McGregor, Christie or mclean be called up more attack minded
    Assuming you watch these players regularly? Gauld lol barely kicks a ball. Is McLean any better than SJM?

McArthur scored on Friday btw. Not bad for a defensive mid. Also scored against Germany

not saying mclean is better than SJM but would like to see them given a chance

@hibs.net private member SRHibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Limit Break PSN ID: cyniUK
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I think too much emphasis is placed on this kind of thing.

You need a squad of sufficient and quality and depth to withstand suspension and injury - it's part of the game.

If anyone pussyfoots around trying not to get booked, that is when problems arise.

Full-blooded, get intae them, win tonight then the next game takes care of itself.

It is inevitable that we will miss players over the next 2 games, presumably our opponents will too.
    Don't think too much emphasis is made of it, especially when quality is so hard to come by in the Scotland squad. Would probably sit Griffiths out of this one as we are absolutely goosed if we don't have him against the better teams.

Really

Always find it bizarre behaviour for those that according to them have no interest in the national team (which is strange enough IMO) to open threads clearly labelled as Scotland threads, read through the posts and then also write a reply to the thread. That doesn't show a lack of interest at all.

I think tonight will be tight with us winnings 1 or 2 nil, with a goal from Griffiths.

Really

my opinion pal hail hail

Maybe another cap for SJM tonight then if Brown is on a booking? Can't see whitty featuring but Hibs could collect 6 caps in the space of a weekend. Changed days.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Franck View Post
    Always find it bizarre behaviour for those that according to them have no interest in the national team (which is strange enough IMO) to open threads clearly labelled as Scotland threads, read through the posts and then also write a reply to the thread. That doesn't show a lack of interest at all.

I think tonight will be tight with us winnings 1 or 2 nil, with a goal from Griffiths.
    I think we will struggle however hopefully get the win.

I think we will struggle however hopefully get the win.
    Yeah I think it'll be tight. Malta showed on Friday that they aren't terrible. They are fairly well organised and a lot of their players have half decent touch and technique. Right now I'd take a 1-0 win with an injury time goal that comes off someone's ar**.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Malta certainly made things very tough for the vast majority of the game against England and England struggled to break them down. Malta offered very little if anything going forward. They were well organised and were particularly strong defensively through the middle, the keeper was decent too. England found space wide but just didnt use it very well., someone like Matty Phillips could have an important role to play. For some bizzare reason England also went with two holding midfield players in Henderson and Livermore which against Malta, with the greatest respect was ill judged for me. Early goal will settle things down, but more importantly than anything its about getting the result if Scotland do make it to Russia no one will remember a scruffy 1 or 2 goal win against Malta. Patience often required in tese games.

Hopefully 2 - 0 at Ht and SJM gets 45 mins and scores a couple

We need to win our last 3 games to stand any chance of getting to the play offs.

Big match tonight that we can't afford any slip ups in.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Should add to my post above that Malta lets say like a tackle. They are currently top of the disciplinary league for all the uefa qualifing groups.

Had a quick read through this thread and here are my thoughts on the topics discussed:

IF we play with the same application and desire (with largely the same team) tonight as we did on Friday, it SHOULD be a mere formality.

I was in Lithuania, and the Tartan Army were absolutely brilliant. Left with a sense of having befriended the city, rather than simply turned up and made a mess of the place. Locals stopping to film and applaud the sing-songs/piping etc, commenting on how us coming and drinking their beer was good for their economy.. and the only trouble I seen the whole weekend was young Lithuanians fighting each other in a fast food shop in the early hours. It's an easy thing to criticise a loyal group of supporters (because they wear kilts and a lot come from up North?!) without ever actually being in their company or at the games. A group of people proud of their country and football team (albeit a poor one).. but they are also proud of their image and relationship with the places that they visit. Never seen any incidents as I say.. but there was a feeling that anyone who got more than a bit carried away, or stepped out of line, would have been told so by the masses.

If this makes the TA strange/sad or whatever else.. I'd rather be in the strange group than a number of cool/hard-man supporters you see following a number of other teams.

I love Hibs, and fully accept I am in the minority when it comes to putting my country first. It's the constant slagging and desire to show how little you care about the national team that always baffles me.