hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Any One But England.!

If you were brought up like me to believe in ABE please listen to Jimmy Armfield's podcast on BBC.
    Despite my mum and cousins being English I could never stomach the thought of them winning anything. But listening to Jimmy and maybe mellowing with age I still struggle. Why should I want Germany or Argentina to beat them but when push comes to shove i stilll do. However guys like Jimmy and my cousins make me think I might just might be ready to accept them winning. What do you think

Not that they will soon
    Last edited by Sammy7nil; 30-08-2017 at 07:51 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! majorhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you were brought up like me to believe in ABE please listen to Jimmy Airfields podcast on BBC.
    Despite my mum and cousins being English I could never stomach the thought of them winning anything. But listening to Jimmy and mellowing age Jimmy I still strggle. Why shohld I want Germany or Argentina to beat them but when push comes to shove i stilll do. However guys like Jimmy and my cousins make me I might just might be ready to accept them winning. What do you think

Not that they will soon
    Bit mair than Jimmy for me!

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    I often start out watching a game, footy or otherwise with a wee feeling of support for our southern cousins.... I've got loads of relatives and friends who're English after all.... Then a minute or two into the commentary the guys speaking have done my head in (1966 etc) and I'm jumping up and down for the other team!

I'm really Sorry cousins etc.... I DO try!

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    i have a great likeness for the japanese prime minister

Shinzo Abe

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    I have ABS myself.

I'm English. I don't like them!
    Space to let

Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    i have a great likeness for the japanese prime minister

Shinzo Abe
    I myself, look nothing like the man!
    Last edited by andybev1; 30-08-2017 at 04:21 AM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Until their commentators/media do a complete turnaround in their approach, I can never see the day I'd want them to win at anything - yes, even Tiddlywinks !

@hibs.net private member
    Let me ponder that thought...hmmm...nope...****** them.

Our bigger nearest rival, of course we want them beaten. Icelands win was particularly satisfying.

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    It's a bit like saying "I'm coming round to Hearts winning the Cup double and progressing to the group stages of the Europa League, while having a good pop at Celtic".

Never going to happen. Worse living down here.

There are a couple of my mates who know the truth. That England are crap. But others jump on the "10 German bombers" bandwagon every two years.

J

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Too much is made of us wanting them to get beat, it's nothing nasty, racist, xenophobic or whatever it gets called. It's just a sporting rivalry that's more often than not friendly and a bit of fun.

I'm sure India enjoy it when Pakistan get beat at cricket, I'm sure Australia would be pleased when the all blacks get beat at rugby, sure the Dutch are happy when Germany get beat at football etc etc etc.....

I find it hilarious when they get out out competitions, especially from the likes of Iceland but if they were to win something one day I wouldn't really care that much I don't think.

I've friends and family who are hearts fans.. I never feel obliged to want them to do well.

Wanting your rivals to fail is all part of the enjoyment of football.

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    I've friends and family who are hearts fans.. I never feel obliged to want them to do well.

Wanting your rivals to fail is all part of the enjoyment of football.
    My dad was English and used to want them to win for his sake as he loved watching sport in his old age. Now I can't bear them winning at anything but it is more to do with their press than England fans. The fans are as much used to failure as Scots fans. Over the moon the west indies gubbed them at Headingley yesterday. Pure joy on the players faces. Brilliant.

While the SFA run the national team I really don't care what happens at international level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I want all the home nations to do well including England. International football is a bit of a circus anyway.

Hearts though. No way! That's serious business.

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    I want all the home nations to do well including England. International football is a bit of a circus anyway.

Hearts though. No way! That's serious business.
    You don't have to worry about Hearts in this respect.

Generally, I want all British teams to do well in Europe or Internationals except Rangers.

I don't much bother about England as they are generally pretty dreadful to watch but if they play well (like in the Euros semi) I'll back them. My son's a supporter so I want them to win for him. He's at an age when he still takes it very seriously.

Having been a Forces brat I spent my childhood and much of my young adult years growing up with English friends. Apart from wanting Scotland to beat England during the Home Internationals, I always rooted for England against Germany, Argentina and such-like and felt disappointed to see them lose so cruelly in World Cup and Euro Championship semi-finals on penalties. I see myself as British and support all the other British nations, and of course I love to see the Republic of Ireland do well too. My Scots/Irish blood might have something to do with this.
    Hatred for The English is all too rife up here in Scotland and it can be ugly and upsetting for those from south of the border who choose to live in our beautiful country.
    I notice also the tendency to cover up blatant racism with carefully chosen words such as " I don't hate the English, only the BBC and Westminster Government"
    I also recall the anti-English sentiment coming to the fore and erupting in violence against English-accented students when Braveheart came out.
    To accuse the Glasgow 2 of intolerance and bile and in the same breath attack anything English wreaks of hypocrisy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lennon's Lip View Post
    Having been a Forces brat I spent my childhood and much of my young adult years growing up with English friends. Apart from wanting Scotland to beat England during the Home Internationals, I always rooted for England against Germany, Argentina and such-like and felt disappointed to see them lose so cruelly in World Cup and Euro Championship semi-finals on penalties. I see myself as British and support all the other British nations, and of course I love to see the Republic of Ireland do well too. My Scots/Irish blood might have something to do with this.
    Hatred for The English is all too rife up here in Scotland and it can be ugly and upsetting for those from south of the border who choose to live in our beautiful country.
    I notice also the tendency to cover up blatant racism with carefully chosen words such as " I don't hate the English, only the BBC and Westminster Government"
    I also recall the anti-English sentiment coming to the fore and erupting in violence against English-accented students when Braveheart came out.
    To accuse the Glasgow 2 of intolerance and bile and in the same breath attack anything English wreaks of hypocrisy.
    There's a great deal of difference between wanting a team to get beat at football, and singing about killing Catholics.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    If you were brought up like me to believe in ABE please listen to Jimmy Airfields podcast on BBC.
    Despite my mum and cousins being English I could never stomach the thought of them winning anything. But listening to Jimmy and maybe mellowing with age I still struggle. Why should I want Germany or Argentina to beat them but when push comes to shove i stilll do. However guys like Jimmy and my cousins make me think I might just might be ready to accept them winning. What do you think

Not that they will soon
    Back in 66 - as a kid - I wanted the English football team to win the cup, as it was the only home nation competing - I always wanted British teams to do well (not when playing against Scotland obviously) - I wish British athletes and so on well when playing against other countries - I've never understood the ABE attitude ...

... btw - Jimmy Armfield methinks ???

I would suggest you are seeing something which does not really exist. I don't see very much anti English sentiment in Scotland at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Hearts v Hibs, Rangers v Celtc, Scotland v England, etc.
    It's only natural that most fans enjoy seeing, who they conceive to be their biggest rivals, beaten.
    I would suggest most England supporters prefer to see Germany beaten than us as they are their big rivals. The ironic thing is Germany don't feel that way about England apparently.
    Last edited by snooky; 30-08-2017 at 11:14 AM.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    I'm in London now for a funeral. I was sat in a bar last night listening to a group of friends (3 English guys and an expat Scot) having a bit of "banter". It was a cringe fest of 3 against one where the "sweaty sock", "Jock Twat", "Haggis Basher", "Porridge Wog" was the subject of hilarious jokes about him being a heathen, skirt wearer, tight *******, see you Jimmy. Every time he tried to counter attack he was told to "**** off back to Jockland" if he didn't like it. Truth be told I was more angry with the subservient little tit for taking that **** with a smile than I was with the other twats for making his nationality the subject of their hilarious banter. I'll be supporting ABE.

Don't really care tbh. International football is a boring sideshow to me, if England do well then so be it. I won't be supporting them but I can't get into the ABE stuff.

So they go on about 1966 a lot, quite right to, it was a hell of an acheivement. It's not like Scotland are shy and retiring when it comes to talking about the following year (which is incomparable to actually winning the World Cup).

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    I'm in London now for a funeral. I was sat in a bar last night listening to a group of friends (3 English guys and an expat Scot) having a bit of "banter". It was a cringe fest of 3 against one where the "sweaty sock", "Jock Twat", "Haggis Basher", "Porridge Wog" was the subject of hilarious jokes about him being a heathen, skirt wearer, tight *******, see you Jimmy. Every time he tried to counter attack he was told to "**** off back to Jockland" if he didn't like it. Truth be told I was more angry with the subservient little tit for taking that **** with a smile than I was with the other twats for making his nationality the subject of their hilarious banter. I'll be supporting ABE.
    There's erses everywhere.

A few years ago my girlfriend (English) got a mouthful of anti English abuse from a couple of Hibs fans away at Cowdenbeath. I don't judge all Hibs fans, or base my football support, on that.

Fwiw I generally love going to functions in England and getting a kilt on. A lot of guests love it and want pictures with me and to buy me drinks. It also makes me wish I had been wiser to the effect it has when I was single.

Quote Originally Posted by itslegaltender View Post
    Our bigger nearest rival, of course we want them beaten.
    Exactly.

They talk themselves up just like the Jambos too.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KWJ View Post
    Exactly.

They talk themselves up just like the Jambos too.
    Aye like Scotland did when they won the World Cup in 1978. Oh.

For most related to sport its just a bit of banter as a few on this thread have already expressed, nothing wrong with that IMO but there are people on both sides who take things a little further and beyond banter and have a bit of an irrational "hatred" which probably say more about them than the object of their "hatred".

Never had a problem being a Hibs fan and being English personally, infact in early days of coming up to Edinburgh was treated as a bit of a novelty.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    I've never experienced that. Having said, I wouldn't put up with it either.

@hibs.net private member
    I have 3 lads who follow England all over Europe, they all think the team are poor. I always tell them to enjoy the trip, except for the actual match, and be safe. I wouldn't want England to win anything at any sport.

I hate England. I hope they get pumped every time they take to the field. They're up their with hearts and the Huns in the deluded stakes.

"WE'RE GOING TO WIN THE WORLD CUP"

papped out by some fishing country

"English football needs a revamp. Next tournament is a write off"

2 years later

"WE'RE GOING TO WINNRHE EUROS"

repeat over and over