hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Going to Easter Rd with your Dad

Ayr game was the first time in about 30 years when it was just me & my dad.we are both ST holders ,but go with our own mates.I'm 44,but on Tuesday I felt like a kid again.looking up to my hero.the man who introduced me to Hibs.I know know how my son feels.Thanks dad GGTTH

2. Log in to remove the advert

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    I still go with my dad. And now my son comes with us as well.

I only went to a few games with my dad when I was younger, out was usually my Auntie that took me and I'd use my uncle's season ticket, or my cousins would take me.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member I'm_cabbaged's Avatar
    Can't remember what my first game was tbh, but my earliest memories were about SPS' testimonial. He took me here there every ****ing where 😀 Then continued with my boys when I was working weekends, thankfully I managed to change jobs and enjoyed life with Hibs with 3 generations!! Hopefully I continue his legacy!!

@hibs.net private member
    Tuesday was also my first game with my dad in probably 20 years.... he is a jambo but not a diehard eejit like most so open to watching a good game of football when invited. I told him there's still plenty time to change his colours... he was having none of it!

My dad preferred drink

Testimonial Due
    Blog Entries
    My dad took me to Hibs games when I was wee. Must have been loads but the games v Naples and Joe bakers return v Aberdeen plus a birthday treat to ibrox 3v1 with Marinello scoring twice stick vividly forever in my mind.

@hibs.net private member & Biggest, Funniest Slaver on hibs.net 2012 Pedantic_Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZYHIBBY View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My dad preferred drink
    My dad needs a drink before he watches Hibs 😂😂
    "Play for the name on the front of the jersey and the supporters will remember the name on the back"

Quote Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
    Ayr game was the first time in about 30 years when it was just me & my dad.we are both ST holders ,but go with our own mates.I'm 44,but on Tuesday I felt like a kid again.looking up to my hero.the man who introduced me to Hibs.I know know how my son feels.Thanks dad GGTTH
    Love reading these things.

My first game Feb 1988 against Dumbarton. We won 3-0 and my dad used to take me all the time. Now we both have season tickets as well. He never went for a couple of years as his health wasn't to good but having him sit with me each week still makes me feel like a little kid at times.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Been going with my dad and my brothers all my life and still do now. Don't think that will change until the inevitable happens.

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    My dad was a Jambo.

It was my maternal granda that took me to the games. He was born in the Cowgate near where Hibs were formed and he ran supporters buses in the 50's. Loved his encyclopedic knowledge of Hibs, and i fell in love with Easter Road at my first game in the mid 1970's Hibs v Celtic.

He used to go in the pub get me a packet of crisps I used to go and play with all the other 'abandoned' kids at the playpsrk near the Iona. Changed days lol.

My dad took me to the 1979 Scottish cup final though.

@hibs.net private member Dalianwanda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    My dad took me to home games from about the age of 4 or 5 (I'm now 47). He stopped going for a while where golf took over. Since he retired he's been back in the east with a season ticket and loving it. Goes on his own but seems to have a sound bunch around him, which is great. I love the days where we can make games together. That's probably only going to be hampden games with the great crowds these days.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    My Dads only interest in football was 8 score draws on a sat. My first trip to ER was with my mates dad who was a groundsman there. David Henderson I owe you a lot. My two boys only gave a passing interest in Fitba as both are avid golfers. My daughter is an ever present with me in the west lower. She missed her first game in about 13 years when she missed lewis' testimonial due to Holidays. To say she was gutted is not doing it justice. I kid you not she was gonna fly back for it till she eventually saw sense.
    Last edited by greenlex; 10-08-2017 at 10:19 PM.

My dad wasnt interested in football ....my grandad took me and.my brother ...we were inducted to Hibs with the ...heriot, brownlie, schaedler, stanton, black, blackley, edwards, o'rourke, gordon, cropley , duncan , ..era ...and it was fantastic .....forever gateful and thankful to him and remember enjoying many big games from midway up in the east terracing ..😁

My Dad took me to my first game in October 1962. 2-2 draw with Dundee. I didn't realise until recently, he probably took me to that game because the great Gordon Smith was playing - for Dundee of course by then. Dad might have mentioned it but I was only 4 at the time and too young for it to mean anything. GS was my Dad's hero and this was likely to be the last time he would see him "run down the slope".

Went to many 'big games' with him after that. Naples, Hamburg, Sporting Lisbon, Liverpool, Leeds, Hadjuk Split in European competition and countless semis and finals at Hampden.

Over the years we were both ST holders. My sons were as well until they grew up and found girls, then decided to go abroad after getting married. They still follow from afar.

Biggest favour my Dad did for me regarding a game was to sneak me in to Tynie on 1/1/73. He was on plain clothes duty that day and took me along with him. In through the polis gate and I watched in awe at the School End the biggest and best demolition derby of them all.

Dad's final game was the 2007 League Cup Final. Strangely in all his years of going to finals, he had never seen Hibs win a major final (he was working in 1972 and 1991 couldn't get off). So it was fitting he did finally see us win one. Sadly, he wasn't around for 21/5/16 but I'm sure he was looking down and waving his Hibs tartan scarf with pride.

GGTTH Dad.

Does anyone remember early 90's when they would let you in for free for last ten minutes or so?

Quote Originally Posted by Tambo View Post
    Does anyone remember early 90's when they would let you in for free for last ten minutes or so?
    They used to open the big gates just after the second half started back in the late 60s / early 70s iirc.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post
    My dad was a Jambo.

It was my maternal granda that took me to the games. He was born in the Cowgate near where Hibs were formed and he ran supporters buses in the 50's. Loved his encyclopedic knowledge of Hibs, and i fell in love with Easter Road at my first game in the mid 1970's Hibs v Celtic.

He used to go in the pub get me a packet of crisps I used to go and play with all the other 'abandoned' kids at the playpsrk near the Iona. Changed days lol.

My dad took me to the 1979 Scottish cup final though.
    My family were coogate boys as well in that era - probably went on your bus!

@hibs.net private member Ringothedog's Avatar
    My dad took me to loads of games, Leeds, Liverpool Hamburg, malmo amongst lots of others, I still remember my first away game which was a 1-4 defeat to Stirling Albiion. I would like to thank him for bringing me up to support th best football team in the world. Thanks dad and RIP

@hibs.net private member
    My dads a sevco fan.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: EdinburghHibee86
    I've always gone with my old man, my cousin and my uncle it was always the 4 of us until I started playing Saturdays myself. They three still have the season tickets and attend together and I tag along as often as I can these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love reading stories like these giving the love for Hibs passed from father to son etc.

Many people ask me how i got my passion for all things Hibs and did i get it from my dad etc....

My dad had no interest in football at all, my two uncles lived a stones throw away from Easter Road and supported them for many years too.

Although i was born in Leith, i moved to the dark side of the city when i was young, so being a Hibby was always queried too.

I used to go to watch games with my friends who have all fallen by the wayside but i was still attending with my son up to a few years ago.

He used to go to all the games with his dad and i and loved his Saturday afternoons watching the Hibs.

So you could say he got his love for Hibs from his dad and his mum. He lives down south now and gets up for as many games as he can.

You will all understand that the feeling and passion for this club stays with you no matter where you are in life.

Once a Hibby always a Hibby!

First Team Breakthrough
    my fondest memory of going to the games with my dad was the night we beat Liverpool and Harper scored. My dad was in the merchant navy, and had been away for almost a year. I was 7 years old and got home from school to find him waiting for me. That was good enough, but imagine how I felt when he said "get your scarf son, there's a game to get to tonight". My first ever European match. Now go to all of the games with my son, and I hope he gets the same feeling as I got that night. Forever Hibs.

Some great stories here went with my pals when younger then stopped due to weekend working that changed to week days same time Dad retired so season tickets purchased by us both great times until Dad passed last December so everyone saviour these times

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    My auntie took to me to my first game and I had season tickets with her for a long time, my grandad used to come along occasionally but he actually used to take me to more away games than home ones.

Now nearly 20 years on I still go with my Grandad, he has a season ticket now. It's my favourite part of the week 💚

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    My dad used to take me to some games when I was younger but would never take me away from home, I was always desperate to go away but my dad can't drive and after he got made redundant in 92 money was tight for us so games were very limited until I got my first season ticket back in 95 and have been there ever since. Dad has been has had a season ticket on and off but has had one for the last 4 seasons now. He doesn't enjoy it as much as he used to as he is from the generation of Turnbulls tornadoes. For him no player comes close to Alex Cropley.

I was very lucky that I grew up in a house where my Mother, Father and Sister all loved football so there was never any question of what was going to be on the telly when a match was on and a Saturday meant Easter Road for us.

Left by mutual consent!
    My first game was with my dad who took me to watch comical defending in the Scottish Cup 1983 as Aberdeen humped us 4-1 at ER. I sat in the old main stand, catching the football buzz celebrating Gordon Rae's superb free kick consolation.

He took us to the League Cup win v Dunfermline on the Hampden terraces, that in some ways was just a prologue given our near demise (I was too young to realise the year before) for the historic Scottish Cup Final game in 2016. I was by then a seasoned regular but my father was taken to gardening, my brother and I always keener. Nevertheless, at the final whistle, as celebrations went on for ages and we all sang our hearts out, along with his two grandsons (my two eldest), i have a wee video of us all in the centre of a sea of green and white, my dad has a smile like a little kid and catches my eye as I filmed him, raising his eyebrows as if to say, 'there you go, son, I did well by you.'

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Nick T Muir
    My old man took me to games when I was a nippper (from around 5), but he worked most Saturdays so when I started going regularly and got my first season ticket at 14, I went with my mate and we sat near some of my dad's mates in the east who kept an eye on us!

Then when my dad changed jobs we got season tickets in the West the season it was built, I was around 21 then, and we've sat in the same seats ever since.

Now my eldest daughter comes along now and then but we couldn't get her a ST next to us so might have to move next year.

First Team Breakthrough
    I miss dad to do this with.

OK a grown adult but with no kids of my own (yet) I miss this truly special bond. Here's to all the father's and sons and those that don't have that luxury.

My friends are my brothers and going with them is as good as it gets for me...

First time my dad took me to Easter Road was for the Hands Off Hibs rally in 1990. No match that day but I was hooked. Fond memories of those days with my old man.

my dad took me to the football each week back in the early 60s. he was a hearts supporter and would go to see hibs one week and hearts the next, lots did that back in the 50s and 60s... I liked the type of football hibs played and one of my first games was seeing hibs beat Real Madrid... the 17 year old Peter Cormack scoring... still remember that night... my dad was a hearts supporter all his day as I am a hibs supporter... always remember him getting so excited then Arthur Duncan scored two goals against celtic.so grateful he took me to games when I was a young 14 year old boy.