hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar

Which Hibs players would have had a shout at getting into the Tornadoes team?

Inspired by our new poster, Ingsh, I thought it might be interesting to consider who has played for Hibs since the 70's that might have got a game for Turnbull's Tornadoes.

I'll use the 1972/73 squad for reference and in case you've lost your memory, the team was;

Jim Herriot
    John Brownlie
    Erich Schaedler
    Pat Stanton
    Jim Black
    John Blackley
    Alex Edwards
    Jimmy O’Rourke
    Alan Gordon
    Alex Cropley
    Arthur Duncan

The rest of the squad was made up of;

Jim McArthur
    Bobby Robertson

Derek Spalding

Des Bremner
    John Hamilton
    John Hazel Scotland
    Tony Higgins
    Billy McEwan
    Bobby Smith

(If I've got that wrong, please let me know and I'll correct it).

So who would think would improve that team and who would you remove to accommodate them?

Same goes for the squad.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Awww come on man, every Hibee alive now has the 2016 legends to salivate over, us oldies had the Tornadoes up until May 2016 and you want us to choose?

I was never a big fan of Jim Black so I would bump him for Paul Hanlon, the rest are my boyhood heroes and no way would I swap any of them ( I'm talking about the first team as listed )

Probably Hanlon or MacGregor and Marciano.

Left by mutual consent!
    Frank Sauzee?

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Probably better asking who from the current squad would have a sniff of getting in the team. Most of our mainstays, like Marciano, McGregor, Hanlon, McGinn would add to Turnbull's squad. Very good 1st 11, but not much strength in depth, hence part of the reason why the Tornadoes came second too often.

Black and Herriot would have done well keep their places.Not sure many others would have been challenged as strongly for their starting place though.

First Team Breakthrough Hibbycol's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MKHIBEE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Awww come on man, every Hibee alive now has the 2016 legends to salivate over, us oldies had the Tornadoes up until May 2016 and you want us to choose?

I was never a big fan of Jim Black so I would bump him for Paul Hanlon, the rest are my boyhood heroes and no way would I swap any of them ( I'm talking about the first team as listed )
    Agree ,come on !!! Let all hibs legends to different generations live in the memories past present and future be .

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

What's wrong with discussing a best ever Hibs team? It's not about legends.

In my view, I'd be trying to fit Goram, Sauzee, Latapy and Riordan into that team, but it wouldn't be easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    What's wrong with discussing a best ever Hibs team?

In my view, I'd be trying to fit Goram, Sauzee, Latapy and Riordan into that team, but it wouldn't be easy.
    Nothing wrong with it .just means I won't get any sleep turmoiling who to put in and who leave out lol

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    I'm going to say no one but would have Riordan Jones & Murphy on the bench.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Crikey id have to say not one of our cup winning side or the side we have at present would have gotten anywhere near the Tornadoes first team.

If i had to pick anyone from previous teams that would have added anything to them it would have to be Sauzee!

IMO he is the only player good enough to have worn Pat Stanton's No4 jersey.

Many may say that Herriot and Black were the least talented of that side but they were stalwarts in their own rights.

In Schaedler and Brownlie we had the best two attacking backs in Scotland, complimented by Blackley's no nonsense tackling and reading of the game.

Our midfield then was so talented that even SJM would struggle to oust Edwards or Cropley and no one could compete with Stanton in any way possible!

In Gordon, Duncan & ORourke we had free scoring players who terrorised every defence in the league.

As another poster said it really is down to the generation you were brought up in and the team as it was then.

Turnbull's Tornadoes were the team that i grew up with and always be thee best!

Quote Originally Posted by Stantons Angel View Post
    Crikey id have to say not one of our cup winning side or the side we have at present would have gotten anywhere near the Tornadoes first team.

If i had to pick anyone from previous teams that would have added anything to them it would have to be Sauzee!

IMO he is the only player good enough to have worn Pat Stanton's No4 jersey.

Many may say that Herriot and Black were the least talented of that side but they were stalwarts in their own rights.

In Schaedler and Brownlie we had the best two attacking backs in Scotland, complimented by Blackley's no nonsense tackling and reading of the game.

Our midfield then was so talented that even SJM would struggle to oust Edwards or Cropley and no one could compete with Stanton in any way possible!

In Gordon, Duncan & ORourke we had free scoring players who terrorised every defence in the league.

As another poster said it really is down to the generation you were brought up in and the team as it was then.

Turnbull's Tornadoes were the team that i grew up with and always be thee best!
    RIGHT you ootside ,stripped to the waist ,square go . Nobody could lace MR STANTONS slippers never mind his boots .

I'm sure Stanton said once that Sauzee and Latapy would get in the Turnbulls Tornados.

But surely Goram would get a game in goal, best Scottish goalkeeper probably.

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    As others have said Marciano would have a chance of ousting Heriott but Jim will be well into his 70's by now, presuming he is still alive.

I really like Paul Hanlon but football was a lot more rigorous then so only Darren might have had a shot at replacing Jim Black.

Having seen every Hibs team since then I can unequivocally say that no-one (and I mean absolutely no-one including Sauzee and Latapy) is worthy of consideration at replacing any of the others.

The only others I can think of over that entire period who are even worth debating would be David Murphy & Sparky but I would still keep Schaedler & O'Rourke.

Sauzee could never replace Pat Stanton and I would not swap Latapy for either Cropley or Edwards.

Testimonial Due
    Bobby Smith and European Cup winner Des Bremner on the bench doesn't suggest weakness to me. It's difficult to see almost anyone other than Best or Archibald getting a look in.

I completely forgot about Best and Archibald.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

to be honest, If we had some of the players we have this present day.............and even if they were back-ups, the Tornadoes WOULD have won the league, which they should have done! the main problem that cursed us was Brownlie's injury and Edwards' ridiculous 8 week ban. there were a couple of other things but these were the things that denied us winning the league then. we had to deal with an excellent Celtic team, but also when we were 3 goals up (or maybe 2 at Celtic park,) the match was abandoned due to fog. 10 mins later when I got outside, the fog had gone !!! Hibernian played some scintillating fitba' during that period, and no one can deny it.

I completely forgot about Best and Archibald.
    Best and Archibald were not around, when our best Turnbull team was

Quote Originally Posted by BSEJVT View Post
    As others have said Marciano would have a chance of ousting Heriott but Jim will be well into his 70's by now, presuming he is still alive.

I really like Paul Hanlon but football was a lot more rigorous then so only Darren might have had a shot at replacing Jim Black.

Having seen every Hibs team since then I can unequivocally say that no-one (and I mean absolutely no-one including Sauzee and Latapy) is worthy of consideration at replacing any of the others.

The only others I can think of over that entire period who are even worth debating would be David Murphy & Sparky but I would still keep Schaedler & O'Rourke.

Sauzee could never replace Pat Stanton and I would not swap Latapy for either Cropley or Edwards.

Quote Originally Posted by monktonharp View Post
    Best and Archibald were not around, when our best Turnbull team was
    Obviously, but that's the point of the question.

On your other point, Hibs were winning 2-0 when the fog came down at Parkhead. The replay ended 1-1.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Tornados were as close as we've come to having a perfect team, IMO.
    The only positions I would (hypothetically) change would be goalkeeper & CH.
    The rest of the players in that team could hold their own against any player since.

Replacements? I dunno. Goram in goals and possibly Franck or Darren at CH?

Quote Originally Posted by monktonharp View Post
    to be honest, If we had some of the players we have this present day.............and even if they were back-ups, the Tornadoes WOULD have won the league, which they should have done! the main problem that cursed us was Brownlie's injury and Edwards' ridiculous 8 week ban. there were a couple of other things but these were the things that denied us winning the league then. we had to deal with an excellent Celtic team, but also when we were 3 goals up (or maybe 2 at Celtic park,) the match was abandoned due to fog. 10 mins later when I got outside, the fog had gone !!! Hibernian played some scintillating fitba' during that period, and no one can deny it.
    9th of Dec 1972 -beat tic 2-1 to win the league cup, following game beat ayr Utd 8-1 ,then go to tiny wee castle and hump them 7-0 . That was the class of the TORNADOES. My favourites,my heroes, my era, EVERYBODY has theirs ,but that's the love of HIBS ,each generation of Hibbys following their particular heroes ,nae rights nae wrongs just GREEN AND WHITE CLASS.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbycol View Post
    9th of Dec 1972 -beat tic 2-1 to win the league cup, following game beat ayr Utd 8-1 ,then go to tiny wee castle and hump them 7-0 . That was the class of the TORNADOES. My favourites,my heroes, my era, EVERYBODY has theirs ,but that's the love of HIBS ,each generation of Hibbys following their particular heroes ,nae rights nae wrongs just GREEN AND WHITE CLASS.

Lack of quality in the depth of the squad was definitely a big factor. Mickey had a temper and, because of that, was niggled nearly every game. Despite what a Hun ref once said, Edwards was given very little protection or slack by the men in aprons. As was said before, Onion's broken leg was a big setback at the time.
    Last edited by snooky; 09-08-2017 at 11:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    Lack of quality in the depth of the squad was definitely a big factor. Mickey had a temper and, because of that, was niggled nearly every game. Despite what one Hun ref said once, Edwards was given very little protection or slack by the men in aprons. As was said too, Onion's broken leg was a big setback at the time.
    Didn't we have first team ,second ,all the way down to fifth teams to pick and choose from ,conveyor belt,mind you the players where on about a hundred quid a week ,squad photos were like 3-4 rows deep,even going back to the 50's the squads where huge ,changed days lol

Left by mutual consent!
    David Gray as right back and captain. Thee man.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Griffiths. The most naturally talented striker I've seen at ER. If he'd have had the same support that the Tornadoes had he'd have had a field day.

Inspired by our new poster, Ingsh, I thought it might be interesting to consider who has played for Hibs since the 70's that might have got a game for Turnbull's Tornadoes.

I'll use the 1972/73 squad for reference and in case you've lost your memory, the team was;

Jim Herriot
    John Brownlie
    Erich Schaedler
    Pat Stanton
    Jim Black
    John Blackley
    Alex Edwards
    Jimmy O’Rourke
    Alan Gordon
    Alex Cropley
    Arthur Duncan

The rest of the squad was made up of;

Jim McArthur
    Bobby Robertson

Derek Spalding

Des Bremner
    John Hamilton
    John Hazel Scotland
    Tony Higgins
    Billy McEwan
    Bobby Smith

(If I've got that wrong, please let me know and I'll correct it).

So who would think would improve that team and who would you remove to accommodate them?

Same goes for the squad.

Herriot or Marciano?

Brownlie or Whittaker/ Gray?

Schaedler or Stevenson

Black or Hanlon/ McGregor

Blackley or Ambrose

Edwards or Swanson

Stanton or McGeough/ Slivka

Cropley or McGinn

Duncan or Boyle

O'Rourke or Stokes

Gordon or Murray

This team are not too shabby.........
    Wednesdays performance reminded me of the league cup demolition of Livi under Mowbray. 7-0 i think it was.

Left by mutual consent!
    Goram would be in there well before Marciano imo.

Griffiths would have to be in that squad, easily ahead of Riordan.

Then there's McGinn, or possibly Brown. Hard to say as McGinn is yet to reach his peek.

Loved the story in Pats book about the ref telling him to have a word with Mickey Edwards or he would have to send him off. Pat asked what for and the ref replied 'singing'
    The wee man kept singing Jingle Bells to Jim Jeffries whose face was purple with rage 😡

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Liberal Hibby View Post
    Bobby Smith and European Cup winner Des Bremner on the bench doesn't suggest weakness to me. It's difficult to see almost anyone other than Best or Archibald getting a look in.
    Bremner and Smith were mere striplings at the time. Bremner had only played Highland League football before he entered the scene and Smith was a young boy who took a few years to become a regular in the first team.

If we are going all out then John Collins, Andy Goram, Scott Brown and David Murphy would have added to that team. They might not have been guaranteed a place (Goram being the most likely), but they would have ensured that the Tornadoes won more than a League Cup. A young O'Connor and Mc Ginn would be my choices to add to the depth of squad too.

Quote Originally Posted by Superfuddyhibby View Post
    Bremner and Smith were mere striplings at the time. Bremner had only played Highland League football before he entered the scene and Smith was a young boy who took a few years to become a regular in the first team.

If we are going all out then John Collins, Andy Goram, Scott Brown and David Murphy would have added to that team. They might not have been guaranteed a place (Goram being the most likely), but they would have ensured that the Tornadoes won more than a League Cup. A young O'Connor and Mc Ginn would be my choices to add to the depth of squad too.
    Roughie or Leighton would have a good shout. Murph too however, Shades had the long throw and that bit of steel that every team needs.
    Sparky certainly, Collins maybe.
    It shows how good a team TT was when here we are with 45 years of players to choose from and we find it hard to replace most of them with better players.