hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar

The Road Less Travelled - Recalling The Williamson Era...

Listening to KTs interview and recalling a preseason game against Craigroyston where he coached O'Connor well and Whitty scored a peach of a freekick - did we ever hear Bobbys view of his time at the club? Lest we forget he took them to a final - Livi doped up with players they couldn't afford...
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    I've never really heard him speak of his time at Hibs. He had a tough gig here but didn't really do himself any favours getting the support onside with him.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VivaPalmeiras View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Listening to KTs interview and recalling a preseason game against Craigroyston where he coached O'Connor well and Whitty scored a peach of a freekick - did we ever hear Bobbys view of his time at the club? Lest we forget he took them to a final - Livi doped up with players they couldn't afford...
    He wasn't brilliant, but he had to reduce the wage bill and had a much harder job than his predecessor.
    He's far from the worst manager we've ever had.

United we stand here....

I did an interview with Bobby, some years ago, for Hibs.net. Might not have survived the passage of time

He was actually very good in the interview, open and honest and clearly aware of how big a club he was in charge of. He also put the "entertainment" quote to bed when he told me what he'd actually said as opposed to what he was reported as having said
    This is how it feels

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    I've never really heard him speak of his time at Hibs. He had a tough gig here but didn't really do himself any favours getting the support onside with him.
    Wonder if he and the Tangoman ever formed a union - two peas in a pod ;)
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    In my all my years of watching Hibs and having a season ticket for 20 odd years the Williamson era is the one I remember least about, every now and then a player will get mentioned that I have absolutely no recollection of, same with certain goals or things that happened, not sure if I just wiped them from memory out of sheer boredom or not

I can remember every other managers tenure easy enough

Testimonial Due
    His time was dull and uninspiring, but we were massively reducing our spending at the time, so it could be argued that dull but safely midtable was what we needed at that time.

Still... he tried to swap riordan and Whittaker for bobby mann **shudders**

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    He wasn't brilliant, but he had to reduce the wage bill and had a much harder job than his predecessor.
    He's far from the worst manager we've ever had.
    It was hearing from KT and witnessing the 121 he was giving Garry through that game in particular with Whitty being urged to get forward maybe there was a story left untold... although he did have KT upfront that game going be the report (my memory faded that out)

We tend to go along with the golden generation falling into place through circumstances and talent brought to the fore by Mogga and with Collins reaping the rewards but what of Bobby's contribution?

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VivaPalmeiras View Post

He has talked about his time at Hibs. It's no big secret.

Not surprisingly he thinks he did a pretty good job. Saw it as a clear step up from Killie but came into a situation where urgent and pretty drastic cost cutting was required.

He did ok. Pretty dour stuff on the park but of course our money problems meant we relied on the kids. And those kids did very well.
    Last edited by jacomo; 28-07-2017 at 07:31 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    I did an interview with Bobby, some years ago, for Hibs.net. Might not have survived the passage of time

He was actually very good in the interview, open and honest and clearly aware of how big a club he was in charge of. He also put the "entertainment" quote to bed when he told me what he'd actually said as opposed to what he was reported as having said
    ........... which was?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    ........... which was?
    The reporter was telling Bobby that the Hibs fans were unhappy with the style of football they were watching. An irked Bobby replied "If they want guaranteed entertainment, they should go to the pictures" The reporter removed "guaranteed" from the story and the rest, as they say, is history.
    This is how it feels

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    The reporter was telling Bobby that the Hibs fans were unhappy with the style of football they were watching. An irked Bobby replied "If they want guaranteed entertainment, they should go to the pictures" The reporter removed "guaranteed" from the story and the rest, as they say, is history.

Fine.

But the reason it stuck is because we were pretty poor to watch.

Still, he did ok. And remember the League cup sf when Frank de Boer missed a penalty? Huns were seething!

Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar
    Bobby gave us a vital 'new manager bounce' at a time when we really needed it.

He demonstrated in 3 matches that Sauzee hadn't got a clue what he was doing.

However, matches lasted 180 minutes when he was in charge and I was delighted to see him 'invited' to join Argyle by Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    Fine.

Still, he did ok. And remember the League cup sf when Frank de Boer missed a penalty? Huns were seething!
    We were. It was painful at times but oh how I enjoyed that win over Oldco at Hampden The penalty shootout is on YouTube and even the fact that TB is co-commentating doesn't spoil the enjoyment I get out of watching it
    This is how it feels

Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post

However, matches lasted 180 minutes when he was in charge and I was delighted to see him 'invited' to join Argyle by Rod.
    I think we all were
    This is how it feels

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar

Me too. If I recall his first game was a thumping of St Johnstone at ER. ESSENTIAL that we won the game. I knocked back hospitality at StJames Park same day to attend. Bergkamp scored the finest goal I've ever seen on the telly.

The Blobby era sucked the life from me like no other manager before or since.
    Despite having a season ticket it got so bad I'd end up looking for excuses to avoid going to games (not the cinema though!).
    Things were so grim at one point that on the odd occasion we ground out a win the football on show (entertainment factor?) was so bad that it still had me going home scunnered!
    Dark days indeed. And like a previous poster pointed out ones that have largely been deleted from my memory.

Quote Originally Posted by brianmc View Post
    The Blobby era sucked the life from me like no other manager before or since.
    Despite having a season ticket it got so bad I'd end up looking for excuses to avoid going to games (not the cinema though!).
    Things were so grim at one point that on the odd occasion we ground out a win the football on show (entertainment factor?) was so bad that it still had me going home scunnered!
    Dark days indeed. And like a previous poster pointed out ones that have largely been deleted from my memory.
    Were you around for the Lexo era?

Because if you want grim...

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    That Livingston cup final defeat is the only thing I remember during his reign 😔😒. Dull and uninspiring.

Was he not at one point trying to sign some random average player from Inverness and even offered Whittaker & Riordan as part of the deal? Thank f*** that never went through!

@hibs.net private member

Bertie Auld.........

@hibs.net private member Auckland Hibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    Fine.

I have a fantastic photograph on my wall with the team celebrating on the half way line when we win the game - one of my favourite memories, watched it in Ealing West London in a bar full of Celtic fans & I didn't have to buy a drink the whole night.

Williamson era was tough but he did sew the seeds for Mowbrays reign. The golden generation were forced on him.

There were plenty good times under Miller too. The McAllister, Wright, Jackson, O'Neill team were a joy to watch.

@hibs.net private member MartinfaePorty's Avatar

How many times did I go to Ibrox and we never had a shot never mind a decent chance? Brian Hamilton at left back and McGinlay at right back rather than bleed a youngster, even though he set the team up expecting to get beat.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    There were plenty good times under Miller too. The McAllister, Wright, Jackson, O'Neill team were a joy to watch.
    And they were condensed into a 6 and 12 month period amongst a decade of dirge.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    I wonder what period was tougher to watch, Williamson or Fenlon. Probably Fenlon for me as at least we had youngsters breaking through during Williamson.

Glad that the early signs are we will be a lot better to watch this season as last was tough to watch a lot of the time.

First Team Breakthrough DCI Gene Hunt's Avatar
    I didn't mind Williamson so much, he did a decent job. Not the most inspiring but we needed stability at the time and he gave us that. Still can't believe we lost to that pile of schyte Livi! I was there and remember it with disbelief and horror equally.

The Mixu/Yogi/Calderwood era was pretty poor, however nothing beats Duff Jimmy, dreadful football, dreadful sightings (Duffy's Duffers) and dreadful results, was only in primary school at the time but still remember how crap Hibs were during his disastrous reign that saw us drop to the 1st Div. The man to this day remains a total bellend!

Nameless
    Left by mutual consent!
    The reverse ball to Dobbie, who smashes home the equaliser, "bring on Capucho", DeBoer hitting the post, huns greetin, 500 miles on the tannoy. Bobby was a disaster, but that semi was phenomenal!

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Calderwood was worse than Blobby.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

2003 quarter v celtic. brebner scored a pen and thomo smashed home the winner after Baillie marshalled Larsson and sutton out the game. headline the next day was "king kevs a bobby dazzler"

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk