hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hibs 6-1 Arbroath Highlights

2. Log in to remove the advert

While only Arbroath some excellent football and goals !

Our attacking is so much better with width and speed up front !

Coaching Staff
    Whittaker has not one but two t's in the middle of his name.

Sorry, but I prefer folk with speaking parts in media roles to be able to pronounce names and words!

Aye it's just Hibs TV but I pay more for that than I do for Netflix!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Sorry, but I prefer folk with speaking parts in media roles to be able to pronounce names and words!

😑

Eh? How are you supposed to pronounce it like?

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar

I'm sure the guy that was commentating has got some sort of speech impediment. He felt the need to come on here and explain himself after similarly petty comments on a previous thread.

United we stand here....

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: FleshCabbage

Hi Andy,

First of all, thanks for subscribing to Hibs TV and for tuning in to the game and/or highlights 👍

Secondly, thanks for your feedback, but I have to ask how you pronounce his name? I said it how plenty of others pronounce his name, including other members of the media. Sorry if it irked you, but, to me, it was said how I believe most say his name.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: FleshCabbage
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    I'm sure the guy that was commentating has got some sort of speech impediment. He felt the need to come on here and explain himself after similarly petty comments on a previous thread.
    It was a lisp I had when I was younger, but I wasn't able to get the 'th' sound at the start of words like 'three' said properly despite plenty of speech therapy (ferapy 😉). It's annoying for me as I'm aware of it, so I know it'll bug viewers and listeners.

Cliff's been out with a back injury and holiday, but should be back for Partick Thistle for anyone who is wondering 🇳🇬

@hibs.net private member FitbaFolkKen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnStephens91 View Post
    Hi Andy,

First of all, thanks for subscribing to Hibs TV and for tuning in to the game and/or highlights 👍

Secondly, thanks for your feedback, but I have to ask how you pronounce his name? I said it how plenty of others pronounce his name, including other members of the media. Sorry if it irked you, but, to me, it was said how I believe most say his name.
    I wouldn't worry yourself about it I never even noticed anything untoward. Not quite Henderson to deliver but good job all the same ;)

@hibs.net private member givescotlandfreedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1van Sprou7e View Post
    Eh? How are you supposed to pronounce it like?
    I have no idea either.

@hibs.net private member hibee1875's Avatar

😂 What?!?

Are you supposed to do a slight pause after the first t then pick up again at the second t?

4 or 5 goals from crossed. Not bad for a team who can't cross!

Testimonial Due
    It was a lisp I had when I was younger, but I wasn't able to get the 'th' sound at the start of words like 'three' said properly despite plenty of speech therapy (ferapy 😉). It's annoying for me as I'm aware of it, so I know it'll bug viewers and listeners.

Cliff's been out with a back injury and holiday, but should be back for Partick Thistle for anyone who is wondering 🇳🇬
    Nice clear and crisp commentary. Not sure what the other guys was posting about on the pronunciation.

Left by mutual consent!
    Hi Andy,

Count me in amongst 'the others' then as that's how I pronounce it - I'm stumped as to what other way 'Whittaker' could be pronounced ??

@hibs.net private member
    Hi Andy,

you are being very respectful here...i would have ignored it..your pronunciation is perfect...ps as I was overseas last night, I used Hibs TV, well done - was laughing out loud at the "Shightly Shanked" slip - very funny - keep up the good work though - thought the both of you did very well.

Get over yourself for goodness sake. Absolutely nothing wrong with the way John pronounces Whittaker or any other name. In fact its a great piece of commentary. Perhaps you should volunteer to help.....show us all how it's done.

@hibs.net private member I'm_cabbaged's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooster View Post
    Get over yourself for goodness sake. Absolutely nothing wrong with the way John pronounces Whittaker or any other name. In fact its a great piece of commentary. Perhaps you should volunteer to help.....show us all how it's done.
    Exactly. How the **** are you meant to pronounce it? He pronounced it correctly with a double t, like the double s in pisstaker 😀

You are actually commenting negatively on the way the commentator pronounces a name? Jesus wept........

Hi Andy,

John, you showed a greater sense of decorum and good grace than I would have been capable of had I been charged with such an absurd criticism. Keep up the good work mate........

@hibs.net private member & Biggest, Funniest Slaver on hibs.net 2012 Pedantic_Hibee's Avatar

Thought you articulated the game very well, John.
    "Play for the name on the front of the jersey and the supporters will remember the name on the back"

Some great goals and if we get the ball into the box it looks like Murray will be there on a hopefully pretty regular basis.

The goalie in me wants to rant about that "defending" at the short corner but I won't

Jesus wept.

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hi Andy,

Wouldn't let any criticism bother you John as like most others I think it is completely unwarranted, and that you are doing a great job.

I think you do many of the pre-match interviews also?

To be fair to Andy, the commentator doesn't pronounce his T's very well in the middle of names. Martin being pronounced Mar'in is another. There's nothing wrong with it and it's not an impediment that would be hurtful to comment on, it's just a more informal style than the BBC would allow and he shouldn't pretend to be Martin Tyler if he isn't.

I'm more worried about our defending for their goal.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    To be fair to Andy, the commentator doesn't pronounce his T's very well in the middle of names. Martin being pronounced Mar'in is another. There's nothing wrong with it and it's not an impediment that would be hurtful to comment on, it's just a more informal style than the BBC would allow and he shouldn't pretend to be Martin Tyler if he isn't.

I'm more worried about our defending for their goal.
    I think it's perfectly fair to say Andy is talking complete pish.

Left by mutual consent!

Good job mate.

Dont worry about hibs.net police....always complaining about something.

@hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar
    Excellent cross from Efe for SMs third, I was looking at ma phone when that happened 🙈. We totally switched off when they scored, that will need to be looked at in training but it's probably just a preseason lack of concentration. Overall a great performance, cannae wait til the league starts, with the way Thistle are banging then in Hibs Partick could be the game to watch on the first day!

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar

Fair play for coming on here to defend yourself in such a graceful manner. I for one had felt your interviews had been good this season and didn't see anything wrong with the commentary either. It's Hibs TV ffs, some folk take things way too seriously.

Yup, just like bellend has two L's

First Team Breakthrough
    It's pronounced Wit taker.