hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member SouthMoroccoStu's Avatar

Lennon and Sutton

I wish Neil would stop speaking to Chris Sutton about hibs matters

Sutton seems unable to keep information discussed private

I can't imagine Neil would be too happy with this idiot revealing our transfer dealings on national tv

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member SRHibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Limit Break PSN ID: cyniUK
    He probably only tells him what he's comfortable being public. Lennon didn't seem to mind talking about Bob himself in the post-match interview.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    They're good mates, Lennon also named the guy himself.

We complain when we hear nothing so I'm pretty glad when we finally hear a decent rumour that isn't just a random punt from someone on here.

Keep it up Sutton

Unless the deal is already done

@hibs.net private member Libby Hibby's Avatar
    It does strike me as double standards. He has a pop at the club during the week for not being able to keep things quiet yet, on his terms, it's ok to openly discuss targets and names them live on telly.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    What happens if he doesn't sign now and it is because making this public has alerted other clubs?

First Team Regular ruthven_raiders's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NORTHERNHIBBY View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What happens if he doesn't sign now and it is because making this public has alerted other clubs?
    Can only assume Sutton asked Lennon if it was OK to mention new guy's name, assuming it must be a done deal and probably a loan for the season.

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    Was a bit annoyed about how the BT pundits were speaking to Neil as if he was their mate in the pub. That said if he wasn't comfortable I'm sure he wouldn't have answered. I do like how honest but realistic Neil is, such as when he was asked about McGinn, and said 4 or 5 million. If he'd said 15 million we all know that's not going to happen but 4 or 5, we couldn't turn that down but now clubs know unless they want to start talking those sorts of figures, not 5o waste our time. Means McGinn isn't getting told clubs are coming in and getting knocked back, potentially frustrating him. And turning his head.

@hibs.net private member Leith Green's Avatar
    I wondered wether it was a smoke screen for something else happening behind the scenes, possibly a diversion ..

@hibs.net private member
    Overall I'm delighted with Lennon as our manager but like anyone there are pluses and minuses.

His experience and contacts in the game have undoubtedly helped us recruit quality players like Marciano, Ambrose and (hopefully) Stokes. His close relationship to folk like Sutton and Hartson can be a bit grating but it's a very small price worth paying.

Similarly his confidence is great, it's nice having a proven winner who sets high standards but equally he made some pretty bold remarks about us last season being the second best in the country. If we end up mid table or worse, unlikely as that is, he and the club will look really daft.

I guess my point is Lennon is by no means perfect but I've really warmed to him since he joined us and have as much faith as you can that he's the right manager for us.

@hibs.net private member Libby Hibby's Avatar
    It does strike me as double standards. He has a pop at the club during the week for not being able to keep things quiet yet, on his terms, it's ok to openly discuss targets and names them live on telly.

Quote Originally Posted by Libby Hibby View Post
    Where did he have a pop at the club I must have missed that got any links?

Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    Overall I'm delighted with Lennon as our manager but like anyone there are pluses and minuses.

His experience and contacts in the game have undoubtedly helped us recruit quality players like Marciano, Ambrose and (hopefully) Stokes. His close relationship to folk like Sutton and Hartson can be a bit grating but it's a very small price worth paying.

Similarly his confidence is great, it's nice having a proven winner who sets high standards but equally he made some pretty bold remarks about us last season being the second best in the country. If we end up mid table or worse, unlikely as that is, he and the club will look really daft.

I guess my point is Lennon is by no means perfect but I've really warmed to him since he joined us and have as much faith as you can that he's the right manager for us.
    No necessarily it's a new team this season so maybe last seasons team was we will never know lol 😉

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SMAXXA View Post
    Was in his friday press conference he made a comment that "it was difficult to keep transfers quiet at this club"

Was on the stv news, felt the wording of it was a but strange.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Was in his friday press conference he made a comment that "it was difficult to keep transfers quiet at this club"

Was on the stv news, felt the wording of it was a but strange.
    He's obviously no happy at stories being leaked from somewhere within the club

Quote Originally Posted by BoomtownHibeys View Post
    He's obviously no happy at stories being leaked from somewhere within the club
    Unless it is him?

Quote Originally Posted by SMAXXA View Post
    He was speaking about Deivy signing and said "we've managed to keep this one quiet, which is a bit difficult at this club". Thought it was unnecessary and a bit snidey to be honest.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Libby Hibby View Post
    Some things need to be done discreetly. Others not so much.

Although I hoover up as much itk stuff and gossip as anyone else, I actually prefer when signings are announced out of the blue.

If Stokes signs, I'll be delighted, but imagine if it happened without the rumours.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_Franck View Post
    He was speaking about Deivy signing and said "we've managed to keep this one quiet, which is a bit difficult at this club". Thought it was unnecessary and a bit snidey to be honest.
    Not surprised he's unhappy about transfers leaking out if it has a detrimental effect on us getting the players in the door.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    I don't see it as double standards, there will be a point at which those involved in signings will be comfortable with it being common knowledge, but prior to that point confidentiality is required.

Knowing when it's OK to discuss signings is the difference between what Lennon said about signings, and what Lennon commented on about keeping things quiet.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by NORTHERNHIBBY View Post
    Unless it is him?
    Would seem a bit strange saying "we've managed to keep this one quiet, which is a bit difficult at this club" if it was him doing the leaking

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    If people who should know better are leaking confidential information to the detriment of the club, they deserve criticism, whether direct or indirect.

We reportedly lost a player because of leaks, so it's perfectly understandable that Lennon might refer to it, imo.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    I don't see it as double standards, there will be a point at which those involved in signings will be comfortable with it being common knowledge, but prior to that point confidentiality is required.

Knowing when it's OK to discuss signings is the difference between what Lennon said about signings, and what Lennon commented on about keeping things quiet.
    I'm sure a previous manager (maybe JC) mentioned the leaks as well. I wonder if there's a long term member of staff that can't keep his mouth shut?

I would be more than happy if Lennon's standard answer to any question about transfer targets or contracts was always that he leaves that to Leanne . End of. She has sorted everything else that has held us back on the pitch so if this is another one she is best placed to fix it.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by ian cruise View Post
    Was a bit annoyed about how the BT pundits were speaking to Neil as if he was their mate in the pub. That said if he wasn't comfortable I'm sure he wouldn't have answered. I do like how honest but realistic Neil is, such as when he was asked about McGinn, and said 4 or 5 million. If he'd said 15 million we all know that's not going to happen but 4 or 5, we couldn't turn that down but now clubs know unless they want to start talking those sorts of figures, not 5o waste our time. Means McGinn isn't getting told clubs are coming in and getting knocked back, potentially frustrating him. And turning his head.
    Yeah, the pundits seem to have a completely diferent attitude when interviewing Lennon now he's our manager - gone is the fawning, the 'tugging of the forelocks' etc, etc and in is a, at times, an interview-style that borders on complete disrespect !

Testimonial Due
    Just a guess - but our head of comms' brother does seem to get a lot of info about our tansfer dealings - i wonder if that is what he is alluding to?

[QUOTE=SRH;5110570]He probably only tells him what he's comfortable being public. Lennon didn't seem to mind talking about Bob himself in the post-match

Bob who ?

I think players' agents make it their business to alert all clubs of the availability of their guys who are seeking a move. That way they get leverage and try start a bidding war. I'm not sure how true the notion is that players talk to Hibs in strict secrecy and all of a sudden our manager and a tv commentator have blown our cover.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy View Post
    Just a guess - but our head of comms' brother does seem to get a lot of info about our tansfer dealings - i wonder if that is what he is alluding to?
    Kenny doesnt get his info from Colin.

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy View Post
    Doubt it. Colin wouldn't be in his job if he was guilty of feeding his journo brother info. Hibs will trust him. He will only give out information on the say so of the club.