hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    My personal preference would be the guy I watched week-in-week-out - Pat Stanton - for his many years of club loyalty and outstanding performances - as posted elsewhere Mr Hibs - I never saw the young Joe Baker or any of the famous five but they and the entire TT team make my list too ...

2. Log in to remove the advert

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Martini View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Impossible to get agreement on this as it's down to perception and individual views. There is no "right or wrong" answer.

However, on pure footballing ability, skill and devotion to the cause, you will be hard pressed to find a better player than Gordon Smith. The best player I never seen play. I take advice under caution. The more I hear something, from a broad spectrum of people (some of whom, I trust and respect) the more likely I am to trust that viewpoint. I've heard enough and read enough from people with first hand experience including teammates and others of an older generation who witnessed the man to know that it takes a lot to get such praise. Smith. The best. Lawrie Reilly's hero. How much more praise do you need?

Any of the 5 though in reality would be good choices; to do as they done, with the resources back then wont be equalled. Yes, they failed to win the Scottish Cup...look what they DID achieve and back in a day when times were so different and rules (and application thereof) were different.

Stanton was and is a legend and is pretty much the most Mr Hibs you will find alive these days, of the former playing variety. Still remember him telling me to respect the shirt as I fumbled along Albion Road munching a Greggs pie early one Saturday morning and spilling a bit mince on the shirt (fair dues, slastering I was)

Modern era; you'll need to look hard to find a better goalscorer than Riordan, save for Griffiths maybe though I still remember Deek's goals with much joy. Much much joy. Sparky done a job too tho...and then some.

Yes, our cup winning team were legendary but legend status cannot and should not come as easily as a run of cup matches for every player or even a cup winning scorer in my view. Long term contribution to the cause does that. HOWEVER, Gray and Stokesy and the rest of the lads should be given the respect they deserve for being the first team in (a few) years to win that cup. Remember though; we were and are more than just the Scottish Cup. IT was great to win; ****ing braw as it goes and to beat the huns was exceptionally brilliantly braw to boot....BUT, we are far more than just a team that eventually won the Scottish Cup. And that's due to the aforementioned legends.

Make me pick, it must be Smith. Stanton close behind and level with the rest of the Famous Five. Beyond that, the term should be used a bit more sparingly I reckon.

Good to have such a choice though unlike some **** pub teams and newly formed co's (who have never won the Scottish Cup I add)

Its good to be green. God is a Hibby.

ENDOF

Anthony "the Hun slayer" Stokes!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Ferrigan View Post
    It depends on when your "era" is or was.
    Gordon Smith Eddie Turnbull Lawrie Reilly from that era. Alan Gordon Alex Cropley Pat Stanton from the Turnbull era. So it would be a difficult one for me to decide.
    Absolutely correct !!
    I saw my first Hibs match in 1940 and as you will reallise I have watched many " legends" as well as a good nuimber of " Dumplings"
    If I had to choose just one it would have to be GORDON SMITH , both as a player and as a person
    I got to know him quite well after he retired and he was a " gwnrtleman " in every way !
    There have been quite a few " close runners up" over the years but he " ticked all the boxes " .for me

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Martini View Post
    Impossible to get agreement on this as it's down to perception and individual views. There is no "right or wrong" answer.

However, on pure footballing ability, skill and devotion to the cause, you will be hard pressed to find a better player than Gordon Smith. The best player I never seen play. I take advice under caution. The more I hear something, from a broad spectrum of people (some of whom, I trust and respect) the more likely I am to trust that viewpoint. I've heard enough and read enough from people with first hand experience including teammates and others of an older generation who witnessed the man to know that it takes a lot to get such praise. Smith. The best. Lawrie Reilly's hero. How much more praise do you need?

Any of the 5 though in reality would be good choices; to do as they done, with the resources back then wont be equalled. Yes, they failed to win the Scottish Cup...look what they DID achieve and back in a day when times were so different and rules (and application thereof) were different.

Stanton was and is a legend and is pretty much the most Mr Hibs you will find alive these days, of the former playing variety. Still remember him telling me to respect the shirt as I fumbled along Albion Road munching a Greggs pie early one Saturday morning and spilling a bit mince on the shirt (fair dues, slastering I was)

Modern era; you'll need to look hard to find a better goalscorer than Riordan, save for Griffiths maybe though I still remember Deek's goals with much joy. Much much joy. Sparky done a job too tho...and then some.

Yes, our cup winning team were legendary but legend status cannot and should not come as easily as a run of cup matches for every player or even a cup winning scorer in my view. Long term contribution to the cause does that. HOWEVER, Gray and Stokesy and the rest of the lads should be given the respect they deserve for being the first team in (a few) years to win that cup. Remember though; we were and are more than just the Scottish Cup. IT was great to win; ****ing braw as it goes and to beat the huns was exceptionally brilliantly braw to boot....BUT, we are far more than just a team that eventually won the Scottish Cup. And that's due to the aforementioned legends.

Make me pick, it must be Smith. Stanton close behind and level with the rest of the Famous Five. Beyond that, the term should be used a bit more sparingly I reckon.

Good to have such a choice though unlike some **** pub teams and newly formed co's (who have never won the Scottish Cup I add)

Its good to be green. God is a Hibby.

ENDOF

Great post BM
    As you say those of us who " go back a bit" will always lean to the " Famous Five" - and why not ?
    We we just born at the right time

Pat Stanton lived our dream.

Ally MacLeod, my boyhood hero.

Slow, lazy ... ****ing brilliant!

First Team Breakthrough
    If you ever watched him ? It only be Pat Stanton , my all time hero , To me Pat is Hibs !

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesie View Post
    What I am about to say will be controversial in some quarters but while Franck Sauzee was a fantastic footballer and a nice guy to talk to, the passage of time erodes any legendary qualities for me. Sure, things didn't end well but time heals - however fifteen years on we haven't heard a peep from him and not for the want of trying on the part of fans who wanted to engage. I get the feeling ours is more of a one-way love affair with Franck than is the case with, say, Lewis Stevenson for example.
    Spot on, nowhere near a Hibs legend for me.