hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dylan McGeouch

@hibs.net private member

Dylan McGeouch

What's the story re. his injuries? After being taken off in the semi-final - injuring himself while scoring - there was lots of talk of a long-term problem that needed to be sorted out (with surgery, I think). Yet he's back playing, and apparently in great form in the pre-season games (including yesterday, albeit that wasn't officially a pre-season game).

So is he now 100% fit? Or is the underlying problem still there and likely to affect this season, as it has the last two?

Anyone know?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Cat Stanton View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What's the story re. his injuries? After being taken off in the semi-final - injuring himself while scoring - there was lots of talk of a long-term problem that needed to be sorted out (with surgery, I think). Yet he's back playing, and apparently in great form in the pre-season games (including yesterday, albeit that wasn't officially a pre-season game).

So is he now 100% fit? Or is the underlying problem still there and likely to affect this season, as it has the last two?

Anyone know?
    Don't think we should get carried away with how he looks fitness wise. Worth remembering that he played most of pre season last year, including 120 minutss away to Brondby in the Europa League. But when the league kicked off the old problems reaurfaced.

Just need to hope we can look after him and keep him fit enough to contribute.

Working with a sports psychologist I think, low pain thresh hold means even minor knocks can put him out.

He needs to be managed well and hopefully can become that player for us that we all know he can. I ****ing love him, everything I want in a Hibs player.

Edit - psychologist not physiologist
    Last edited by MWHIBBIES; 16-07-2017 at 11:39 PM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Working with a sports physiologist I think, low pain thresh hold means even minor knocks can put him out.

He needs to be managed well and hopefully can become that player for us that we all know he can. I ****ing love him, everything I want in a Hibs player.
    The best player at the club imo. Hope he can get himself sorted, whatever it is

Testimonial Due Billychaotic182's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Billy Chaotic PSN ID: BillyChaotic
    Working with a sports physiologist I think, low pain thresh hold means even minor knocks can put him out.

I imagine a huge part is psychological. I tore my acl when I was in the army and was medically discharged as I was told I wouldn't be able to pass any fitness tests in the future. I have however recovered and I'm now fitter than I've ever been, but sadly my knee still gives me grief every now and then. But I know a lot of it is just in my head. If I feel a wee tinge it puts the fear up me and I find it hard to continue out of fear of doing my knee in again. I imagine it's the same for Dylan. After missing out on so much football due to injuries it's no surprise he wants off as soon as something tightens.

Quality player, be great if he got a good run without injury. I'd like to see him giving a role a bit further forward, I think he's got more to offer.. Maybe get some more goals like the one against the Dons.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quality player when available which is far less than we need. Not worth another contract if he can't prove his fitness consistently.

Quote Originally Posted by Billychaotic182 View Post
    I imagine a huge part is psychological. I tore my acl when I was in the army and was medically discharged as I was told I wouldn't be able to pass any fitness tests in the future. I have however recovered and I'm now fitter than I've ever been, but sadly my knee still gives me grief every now and then. But I know a lot of it is just in my head. If I feel a wee tinge it puts the fear up me and I find it hard to continue out of fear of doing my knee in again. I imagine it's the same for Dylan. After missing out on so much football due to injuries it's no surprise he wants off as soon as something tightens.
    "I imagine" just stop there eh. Dylan will continue to have the best healthcare we can give him to keep him at his best

Physiologist or psychologist?

Quote Originally Posted by kevinc View Post
    Physiologist or psychologist?
    Sorry, late night brainfart right there. Sports Psychologist.
    Last edited by MWHIBBIES; 16-07-2017 at 11:41 PM.

Testimonial Due Billychaotic182's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Billy Chaotic PSN ID: BillyChaotic
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    "I imagine" just stop there eh. Dylan will continue to have the best healthcare we can give him to keep him at his best
    I never said he wouldn't. Just using my own issues to perhaps understand Dylan's. Didn't mean to offend anyone.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    I worry about him all the time.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Really hoping McGeouch can maintain fitness and play more this season. He is a very goof footballer and makes us tick when he's on the field. As an aside, I assume the info on the PM board that he was told he can find another club ( this was about a week ago) is utter Tom Kite? It annoys me that people can just drop a wee bombshell like that and never get called out for it. Pleasures of a fans messageboard I suppose.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Fully expect another season where he misses lots of games, has some decent ones where his actual contribution is exaggerated and when he is out injured numerous threads on here stating he is our best player and how we miss him.

In reality he's a decent player who looked like a good attacking midfielder who scored goals when at Celtic. For us he rarely creates goal scoring chances and scores even less (one goal in two seasons) but instead prefers to get the ball far too deep, in positions where he doesn't hurt the opposition. Frustrating when you see in the semi what he is capable of when he plays much further forward.

But our best player ? Not for me, Marciano. McGinn, McGregor, Ambrose and Hanlon are all better than him IMO. I also expect Swanson to make a greater contribution this season than him.

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I take it your not really a fan of his :-)

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    Fully expect another season where he misses lots of games, has some decent ones where his actual contribution is exaggerated and when he is out injured numerous threads on here stating he is our best player and how we miss him.

In reality he's a decent player who looked like a good attacking midfielder who scored goals when at Celtic. For us he rarely creates goal scoring chances and scores even less (one goal in two seasons) but instead prefers to get the ball far too deep, in positions where he doesn't hurt the opposition. Frustrating when you see in the semi what he is capable of when he plays much further forward.

But our best player ? Not for me, Marciano. McGinn, McGregor, Ambrose and Hanlon are all better than him IMO. I also expect Swanson to make a greater contribution this season than him.
    He only scored a couple of goals for Celtc, so I dont know what you're on about there.

If every midfielder in the world was only judged on how many goals they scored or directly assisted, there would no doubt be a load of great players who you'd obviously no rate.

When fit Dylan would be a key player for any team in Scotland bar Celtc.

Anybody who has watched Hibs over the last 2 seasons can see the difference in the team with Dylan in it. His ability to keep possession and move the ball quickly is invaluable.

He is very much in the mould of Xavi in that his importance to the team is keeping the ball moving and always being available to take a pass at anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    He only scored a couple of goals for Celtc, so I dont know what you're on about there.

If every midfielder in the world was only judged on how many goals they scored or directly assisted, there would no doubt be a load of great players who you'd obviously no rate.

When fit Dylan would be a key player for any team in Scotland bar Celtc.
    He didn't play many games for Celtic but he played in a more advanced position from the few games I did see him, driving into the box looking to score. That's what I'm on about.

I rate McGinn who doesn't score enough goals, Bartley who never scores goals and before them Claros. So your point about how I judge players is wrong. I've never once said McGeouch isn't a decent player just don't happen to think he contributes enough to get him the adulation he receives on here.

If he is such a great player why were Celtic so willing to offload him ?

[QUOTE=Since90+2;5104352]Anybody who has watched Hibs over the last 2 seasons can see the difference in the team with Dylan in it. His ability to keep possession and move the ball quickly is invaluable.

He is very much in the mould of Xavi in that his importance to the team is keeping the ball moving and always being available to take a pass at anytime.

Correct about comparisons to Xavi contribution. Sadly Scottish fitba might not be the ideal for a player like Dylan as i think an injury free Dylan would have gone on to better things IMO.

This is all about squad management, having a decent sized squad with quality means we can rest players like Dylan when needed, keep them fresh and hopefully injury free, obviously this doesn't apply to in game injuries.

I would like to see Rocky or any of the others you mention playing in the creative midfield role They maybe as good as Dylan would be a keeper ? There is little or imho no doubt Dylan is easily one of our better players when fit we are a far better team with him in it, the only downside is he is rarely in it

He didn't play many games for Celtic but he played in a more advanced position from the few games I did see him, driving into the box looking to score. That's what I'm on about.

I rate McGinn who doesn't score enough goals, Bartley who never scores goals and before them Claros. So your point about how I judge players is wrong. I've never once said McGeouch isn't a decent player just don't happen to think he contributes enough to get him the adulation he receives on here.

If he is such a great player why were Celtic so willing to offload him ?
    Come on now Celtic have a wealth of talented players who can't get a game that does not make those who cant average players it just means there are currently better players at Celtic and there for your chances are very limited. There is no shame in that at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    I would like to see Rocky or any of the others you mention playing in the creative midfield role They maybe as good as Dylan would be a keeper ? There is little or imho no doubt Dylan is easily one of our better players when fit we are a far better team with him in it, the only downside is he is rarely in it
    Think you are under rating Rocky, think he could do a good job in the Holt role ! Maybe not so much in midfield though 😁

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    Come on now Celtic have a wealth of talented players who can't get a game that does not make those who cant average players it just means there are currently better players at Celtic and there for your chances are very limited. There is no shame in that at all.
    Absolutely agree. However if DM was as good as I read on here he would be playing for them. Like I say I think he's a decent player just not as good as many on here do. Fair enough it's all about opinions. The player in my avatar would probably get slaughtered if he was playing for us now.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar

The role I see Dylan playing is getting the ball slightly deeper and driving us forward into more dangerous positions.

Alright, he doesn't score much but I don't think anyone else does well at the job he does.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    The role I see Dylan playing is getting the ball slightly deeper and driving us forward into more dangerous positions.

Alright, he doesn't score much but I don't think anyone else does well at the job he does.
    That's not the player I thought he was going to be when we signed him, but that aside I still think he plays too deep. He undoubtedly has the ability to do so much more in terms of hurting teams, as evidenced in the semi. I just like to see him do much more of that.

Ah, another one who thinks midfielders have to get 10 goals 10 assists every season to be important. He looked like a good attacking midfielder, now he is a brilliant deep one.

Ah, another one who thinks midfielders have to get 10 goals 10 assists every season to be important. He looked like a good attacking midfielder, now he is a brilliant deep one.
    Yeah cos that's exactly what I said

Yeah cos that's exactly what I said
    That is pretty much what you said, yes. There has to be players between Marvin Bartley and Danny Swanson or it all falls to bits. We don't get better than Dylan for that job.

Left by mutual consent! majorhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    This is all about squad management, having a decent sized squad with quality means we can rest players like Dylan when needed, keep them fresh and hopefully injury free, obviously this doesn't apply to in game injuries.
    Is it just me who gets devastated when a quality as we all know player goes off for my team after between 30/70 mins extremely regularly breaking up & jeapordising all the good stuff that's gone on in minutes before? 90 minute game, disruption to team & tactics regularly like that I absolutely hate!

Pat Mcginlay! Oh how I miss a midfielders goals! We haven't actually had that for a good while. I think we need it. Just imagine a 10/15 goal contribution from a midfielder. How better is your season after that? A BIG bit better!