hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Stokes Loan

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm afraid I don't have the same admiration for Mowbray (as a manager) that a lot of folk on Hibsnet have.
    I'm not alone then, thank goodness.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    I'm not alone then, thank goodness.
    Seconded

Quote Originally Posted by Jag7 View Post
    Seconded
    Thirded. Just the way that he left then came back with the Celtic huddle.

Quote Originally Posted by RoxburghHibs View Post
    I'm hoping Anthony Stokes 😁
    😂😂

@hibs.net private member AgentDaleCooper's Avatar
    I agree r.e. mowbray - a team that often cracked under pressure and gave us some great memories, but a few too many nightmares against hearts.

Elephant Stone
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentDaleCooper View Post
    I agree r.e. mowbray - a team that often cracked under pressure and gave us some great memories, but a few too many nightmares against hearts.
    A team of academy players and decent signings versus a team being financially doped to (literally) suicidal levels.

Quote Originally Posted by alihibs1 View Post
    Looks like he's on his way back to Easter Road!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    The boy's purple replica top with Stokes on the back is getting looked out of the back of the wardrobe.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iwasthere1972 View Post
    Thirded. Just the way that he left then came back with the Celtic huddle.
    My memory is failing me. Did he join in the huddle or invent it? What did he do that was so bad, apart from **** off to WBA at a poor time obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by Elephant Stone View Post
    A team of academy players and decent signings versus a team being financially doped to (literally) suicidal levels.
    Exactly, their wage bill was 6-7 times ours at the time and we really had no reason to expect to beat them at that time. The "Unbeatable" Derby was one of our best ever victories against them given the circumstances and a cracking match to boot.

We were still more than capable of matching them, and said team of academy players were the best generation to come through in decades. If we had turned up we would have won, and that failure is down to the manager. Not saying it legitimises their 'victories' though!

We were still more than capable of matching them, and said team of academy players were the best generation to come through in decades. If we had turned up we would have won, and that failure is down to the manager. Not saying it legitimises their 'victories' though!

Do you take into account their lack of experience or is that just to be ignored?

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    My memory is failing me. Did he join in the huddle or invent it? What did he do that was so bad, apart from **** off to WBA at a poor time obviously.
    Yes , he did invent it but he joined his Celtic players in a victory huddle at ER , when he was their manager. Poor show yes but he gave us some magic moments as our boss .
    SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016
    GGTTH

Quote Originally Posted by erin go bragh View Post
    Yes , he did invent it but he joined his Celtic players in a victory huddle at ER , when he was their manager. Poor show yes but he gave us some magic moments as our boss .
    Ta. The victory huddle **** is coming back to me now. Not that he had many opportunities to enact that in his time there. And he really created the huddle? I'd have put that as far back as Martin O'Neill.

Ta. The victory huddle **** is coming back to me now. Not that he had many opportunities to enact that in his time there. And he really created the huddle? I'd have put that as far back as Martin O'Neill.
    As a player.

Quote Originally Posted by erin go bragh View Post
    Mogga was a cracking manager if stubbsy hadn't won us the cup he's be my favourite. Right manager right time.

Tony Mowbray, mark Venus, Craig levein's a f****ng p***s.

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    As a player.
    Ah. Can't grumble about that then. He was a pretty well regarded club man and he's left a bit of a legacy at Parkhead in that respect. Think I can forgive him having a cuddle with his team after a win.

Do you take into account their lack of experience or is that just to be ignored?
    I'm speaking of 3 games in the season 05-06 where we conceeded 4 goals. Players like riordan, o'connor, whitty, brown, thomson had been in the first team for 2-3 full seasons by that point, so they were not all that inexperienced. The only mitigating factor from a hibs performance point of view is the injuries and suspensions we had for the semi final. My ultimate point is that loosing 3 times by 3/4 goals to your biggest rivals in one season when they aren't actually that much better than you is unacceptable, regardless of what that team cost to put together (because while it was expensive team, it wasn't exactly value for money they were getting). If we had lost 1/2 nil on 3 occassions i wouldn't be overly critical of mowbray but the fact is the team bottled it big time.

I'm speaking of 3 games in the season 05-06 where we conceeded 4 goals. Players like riordan, o'connor, whitty, brown, thomson had been in the first team for 2-3 full seasons by that point, so they were not all that inexperienced. The only mitigating factor from a hibs performance point of view is the injuries and suspensions we had for the semi final. My ultimate point is that loosing 3 times by 3/4 goals to your biggest rivals in one season when they aren't actually that much better than you is unacceptable, regardless of what that team cost to put together (because while it was expensive team, it wasn't exactly value for money they were getting). If we had lost 1/2 nil on 3 occassions i wouldn't be overly critical of mowbray but the fact is the team bottled it big time.
    Not facts, your opinion.

Not facts, your opinion.
    Gretna did give them a harder time in that final than we did in the semi though. And we had pumped the Huns away and Falkirk away to get there. It was pretty awful I'm sure you'll agree.

Graham Stack joined in as well. Now that was comedy gold. Stack in the middle with you

Gretna did give them a harder time in that final than we did in the semi though. And we had pumped the Huns away and Falkirk away to get there. It was pretty awful I'm sure you'll agree.

It was, our players barely turned up. Then again we were hardly at full strength, had lost O'Connor who won a Russian Cup Final for his new club at the end of that season, Riordan was unjured and the Hearts team with a 10M pound wage bill were in better form. Gretna (RIP) busted a gut (at full strength) in the final as they should have and were also another team being financially doped. That's not excuses, just the way things panned out.
    Last edited by Kato; 14-07-2017 at 08:50 PM.

Blog Entries
    We scored 14 goals in 3 cup ties, 2 away from home, then sold our striker, who had scored in every round, before the semi final. Even worse, it was long after our window had closed but unfortunately the Russian one was still open. Not sure I've yet forgiven RP for that decision.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Mowbray was one in a long list of managers who treated derbies like they were "just another game", and paid the price accordingly. However, I became a fan in his second season so didn't experience his team at their peak.

Blog Entries
    It was, our players barely turned up. Then again we were hardly at full strength, had lost O'Connor who won a Russian Cup Final for his new club at the end of that season, Riordan was unjured and the Hearts team with a 10M pound wage bill were in better form. Gretna (RIP) busted a gut (at full strength) in the final as they should have and were also another team being financially doped. That's not excuses, just the way things panned out.
    IIRC we were also missing Killen & Stewart. The talent we had up front that season was ridiculous. Derek, Gaz, Fletch, Benjy, Killen,not to mention Paul Dalglish & the Mali Magician!

Those academy players were top class players. Brown, Thomson, Whitty, O'Connor and Riordan were all top 5 at their roles in the league at the time. Add Murphy, Boozy, Caldwell etc and you should have more derby wins that he managed.

That being said, I very much look back on Mowbrays time well, were we ****ing great to watch after a few boring years. 3rd and 4th in his 2 seasons in a much better SPL.

Testimonial Due
    Riordan suspended. Brown injured.

Left by mutual consent!
    As a player.
    They stole the huddle idea from Athlelc Bilbiho.

Sunsport reporting that Hibs could be out priced:(:(

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by alihibs1 View Post
    Sunsport reporting that Hibs could be out priced:(:(

Just saw that on twitter but they didn't name another club. Could be his agent playing Hibs in the press to squeeze a wee bit more out of us

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    Just saw that on twitter but they didn't name another club. Could be his agent playing Hibs in the press to squeeze a wee bit more out of us
    I'd it's a loan why would his agent be trying to squeeze more money out of us? He'll get same wage regardless. More likely just paper talk because there's nothing else to write about.