hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Man Utd agree £75 million deal for Lukaku

As it says on the tin. Good value for money? Could be the kind of signing that wins Utd the league imo

2. Log in to remove the advert

There's no doubt that on his day he is a superb player.

I've always viewed Lukaku as temperamental, inconsistent, huffy and blows hot and cold.

It's a risky one. He might relish the opportunity on a bigger stage, screw the nut and excel.

He might freeze and struggle to make the step up.

I do find it hard to see where the big English clubs can find players who will actually improve their teams though. At least Lukaku has a proven track record of scoring in the Premier League.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

I've always viewed Lukaku as temperamental, inconsistent, huffy and blows hot and cold.

It's a risky one. He might relish the opportunity on a bigger stage, screw the nut and excel.

I do find it hard to see where the big English clubs can find players who will actually improve their teams though. At least Lukaku has a proven track record of scoring in the Premier League.
    Think there are better options for the money being talked about and it's a lot of money for such an inconsistent player.

Meh... nuff said. £75 million. The world's gone mad. Well Sky Money has.

I'd definitely agree with the part in bold, when he wanted away from Everton last season it was clear for everyone to see by the way he was playing. Just didn't seem interested at times. Be interesting to see if can step it up a bit now he has the European football that he's been craving

Quote Originally Posted by Iain G View Post
    Think there are better options for the money being talked about and it's a lot of money for such an inconsistent player.
    Who though?

And where from?

Pogba looked superb for Juve and he has struggled to justify his transfer fee.

There aren't that many standout players at the moment who wouldn't represent some sort of risk.

Signing a player for that sum of money heaps a lot of pressure and expectation onto them and makes it harder still for them to meet expectations.

As soon as a big English club comes calling then the asking price rockets.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    I often balk at EPL prices these days, but I have no issue with this really - 24 years old and has 85 Premiership goals in 154 starts, the vast majority of them with mid-lower EPL teams. Overall scoring ratio across all comps and including full internationals is 127 goals in 242 starts.

Good business for both sides I would say. He'll have his off days as any player does, but he's definitely not inconsistent as others on here have said.

Joke league.

Who though?

And where from?

There aren't that many standout players at the moment who wouldn't represent some sort of risk.

Signing a player for that sum of money heaps a lot of pressure and expectation onto them and makes it harder still for them to meet expectations.

They could get Griffith's for £175k 😉

Seriously though what happened to their interest in Morata? Would be a much better option for them I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post
    I often balk at EPL prices these days, but I have no issue with this really - 24 years old and has 85 Premiership goals in 154 starts, the vast majority of them with mid-lower EPL teams. Overall scoring ratio across all comps and including full internationals is 127 goals in 242 starts.

Good business for both sides I would say. He'll have his off days as any player does, but he's definitely not inconsistent as others on here have said.
    Yep, my thoughts also

Who though?

And where from?

They wanted Griezmann from Athletico but couldn't agree a deal with club/player, Lukaku is a proven scorer with 71 in 133 since he signed and 88 in 166 games for a very average Everton team. If he gets the service, he'll score goals.

The thing about Lukaku is his strength. When he's going at a defence he's virtually unstoppable. And he's great at holding the ball up and laying it off. He's quite an old-fashioned centre forward really. A lot depends on United's style of play. He wouldn't suit Chelsea I'd imagine. He's not as mobile as Costa or Drogba.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Great signing. It's a lot of money, nae doubt about that, but he's a proven goalscorer in the EPL. He'll score a load of goals for Man Utd.

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    Out of all the folk they were linked with, always said Lukakau would be a better bet

Proven scorer u. EPL, great signing if they get it over the line

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    They wanted Griezmann from Athletico but couldn't agree a deal with club/player, Lukaku is a proven scorer with 71 in 133 since he signed and 88 in 166 games for a very average Everton team. If he gets the service, he'll score goals.
    Griezmann would be a utd player if the transfer ban was lifted. They were happy to pay the 80 odd million release clause and already agree a contract with the player, allegedly. When the ban wasn't lifted the player said he couldn't leave Atletico. I'm sure he signed an extension but the release clause remains the same (for anyone wanting to buy next season)

I think Kane is a better all round forward but Lukaku as you say is a proven EPL player which matters when recruiting

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Apparently Rooney is going back to Everton.

United we stand here....

Not even sure Harry Kane would leave Spurs to go to Man Utd. It would probably take about double what they are paying for Lukaku and a ridiculous wage.

Lukaku is still only 24 and could be a top top player for Man Utd over the next 6 or 7 years.

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    Not even sure Harry Kane would leave Spurs to go to Man Utd. It would probably take about double what they are paying for Lukaku and a ridicilous wage.

Lukaku is still only 24 and could be a top top player for Man Utd over the next 6 or 7 years.
    Sure Levy came out and said he would value him astound £200 million. No one is paying that for a after, even in this day and age.

Disgusting money.

People laughed at 30 mill for Rooney in 2004, he was worth every penny. Lukaku will do really well for United, sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenNWhiteArmy View Post
    Griezmann would be a utd player if the transfer ban was lifted. They were happy to pay the 80 odd million release clause and already agree a contract with the player, allegedly. When the ban wasn't lifted the player said he couldn't leave Atletico. I'm sure he signed an extension but the release clause remains the same (for anyone wanting to buy next season)

I think Kane is a better all round forward but Lukaku as you say is a proven EPL player which matters when recruiting

Thanks for clearing up the Griezmann facts, couldn't remember what happened, just that it fell through and he signed a new extension.

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post

Good move for him, only have a couple more years at that level and is still well respected at Everton, he'll give them much needed experience.

Quality player, but silly money. Tbf Everton will need the 75m if they are looking to pay Rooney's wages..I'd give Barkley a better contract imo.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Good move all round.

He's no the player he once was, but still good enough to play every week for most EPL teams, but not Man Utd.

Can see Rooney having a good season. I expect they'll still need to sign a good striker though, as Rooney won't score them the goals Lukaku did.

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    Good move all round.

He's no the player he once was, but still good enough to play every week for most EPL teams, but not Man Utd.

Can see Rooney having a good season. I expect they'll still need to sign a good striker though, as Rooney won't score them the goals Lukaku did.

There's talk of them going for Giroud from Arsenal. Could see him and Rooney forming a good partnership.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by FGR2016 View Post
    There's talk of them going for Giroud from Arsenal. Could see him and Rooney forming a good partnership.
    Would Giroud go? Can see him getting a better move than that.

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    Would Giroud go? Can see him getting a better move than that.
    Could definitely get a better move I think.

Money talks though and Everton seem to be throwing it about at the moment.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by FGR2016 View Post
    I think Giroud is Marseille bound.

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Couldn't give a *****, I honestly hate English football. Nothing worse than these fannies you see down the boozer in Spurs, Chelsea, Man City etc tops chugging over some foreign ponce in pink boots, while thinking they're too good to support a Scottish team.

Hand on heart id rather watch Alloa Brechin on Alba. At least you can semi relate to it.
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    As a United fan I'm flabbergasted. Aye he's a good player, but is he good enough to play for a club the size of United, let alone for £75 million?
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875