hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Scott Brown Testimonial

Rumours are it will be against a Hibs 11, should be good.

Scott Brown Testimonial Year
    CELTIC Football Club has announced today that it has been approached by a Testimonial Committee, for the Committee to arrange a match at Celtic Park to mark the contribution of Scott Brown, a man who has given such excellent service to the Club over the past 10 years. The Club is delighted to facilitate this request.

The Committee will begin planning around this match, as well as other events including a dinner and golf day. The Testimonial Committee will provide supporters with more detail on these events, which will feature a major charitable element, in due course.

Celtic Chief Executive Peter Lawwell said: “Scott has served Celtic brilliantly over the past decade. He has given everything to the Club and has played such an important role in bringing us success after success.

"Of course, he has also been a fantastic Celtic captain, doing so much for the club on and off the park in this role. Scott has always been a winner and it is fitting that he celebrates 10 great years at Celtic in such style as an Invincible and by lifting the Treble. We are delighted to grant this request from the Testimonial Committee.”

EDIT!

Partly the reason I posted this was to see who you's thought would be taking part for the Hibs 11 if true. Still just a rumour but Hibs makes sense. Sort of Hibs chat, made an error with the NHC prefix.

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Breakthrough Hibbycol's Avatar
    It will not be a hibs 11 it will be against Liverpool me thinks

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbycol View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It will not be a hibs 11 it will be against Liverpool me thinks

Why?

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

The so called "connection" between them , champions league, kenny dalglish, the song shmeltic stole and use , sky tv showing it . But just my opinion 👍

I can't see it being Hibs either.....

IF it was, I reckon it could be our 2007 cup winning side that he played in???

Whittys a shoe in for the game if it is 😁

No chance it'll be us, loved Brown when he was here and proud the club played a major role in his development, he's had a fantastic career but it's their club captain, it'll be a big name, just a guess but Id say Dortmund.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    A Celtic v Hibs testimonial for Scott Brown would attract even less Hibs fans than would normally go to away matches at Celtic as it is. Never going to happen.
    As an aside, on what occasion have Hibs provided the opposition for a testimonial match? Can't think of any Other than Pat Stanton's, but that was more a joint effort was it not?
    Last edited by Carheenlea; 02-07-2017 at 11:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    A Celtic v Hibs testimonial for Scott Brown would attract even less Hibs fans than would normally go to away matches at Celtic as it is. Never going to happen.
    As an aside, on what occasion have Hibs provided the opposition for a testimonial match? Can't think of any Other than Pat Stanton's, but that was more a joint effort was it not?
    Kevin McCallister IIRC for Falkirk.

Quote Originally Posted by Nutmegged View Post
    No chance it'll be us, loved Brown when he was here and proud the club played a major role in his development, he's had a fantastic career but it's their club captain, it'll be a big name, just a guess but Id say Dortmund.
    I will throw my thoughts in.
    I am fairly convinced it will be a Hibs 11, will be absolutely astonished if it isn't. My reasons for this are Brown has never struck me as someone who has bought into that 'glamour of the premier league' so for that reason I think that rules out any Premier League teams. Foreign teams? I doubt it, I think he is the kind of guy who doesn't forget where he's came from I think for him Hibs will always be a massive part in his career when he looks back on it. He might be our club captain but it's HIS testimonial. I think he'll want to have a day with players he has played past and present whilst paying tribute to the teams and players that have made him the player he is today and making it an event for both sets of supporters.

Quote Originally Posted by May2116 View Post
    Now that does ring a bell.

Now that does ring a bell.
    Also Jussi Jaskelainen vs Bolton.

That is a fair point. I do remember the Phil O'Donnell memorial game and there was a small number but a fair enough amount of Motherwell fans mixed in with us. I can only imagine the club decided not to allocate the tickets as home and away for fear of not many Well fans turning up, they might do the same if it is Hibernian who knows? Although the circumstances behind the Phil O'Donnell game were entirely different mind you.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelTheCelt View Post
    I am fairly convinced it will be a Hibs 11, will be absolutely astonished if it isn't. My reasons for this are Brown has never struck me as someone who has bought into that 'glamour of the premier league' so for that reason I think that rules out any Premier League teams. Foreign teams? I doubt it, I think he is the kind of guy who doesn't forget where he's came from I think for him Hibs will always be a massive part in his career when he looks back on it. He might be our club captain but it's HIS testimonial. I think he'll want to have a day with players he has played past and present whilst paying tribute to the teams and players that have made him the player he is today and making it an event for both sets of supporters.
    You present good reason to back up your thoughts, but I still can't see it myself. The Celtic fans would roll up whoever the opposition, but doubt Hibs fans would in the numbers you suggest. He was a popular player for us alright, but it was a long time ago now.

@hibs.net private member the_ginger_hibee's Avatar
    Craig Levein's testimonial also

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by May2116 View Post
    I remember a game at Innerleithen Vs Vale.

@hibs.net private member
    It's the Celtic fans that are choosing the opposition for Broony's game. The 3 leading contenders are Hibs, Real and Barca. With Hibs leading the way. Talk is for Hibs team to play their invincibles with SB playing 45 minutes for each team.

I always feel that a testimonial should be against a club the player has some connection to. if they started their career there or if they spent significant time on loan there or maybe even a team that were significant opposition such as a European cup final.

for brown that is clearly hibs. that said I'm not fussed either way but it would be good to see some hibs legends kicking around.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    If we were the opposition I'd go. Brown loved his time at Hibs, gave 100% and won a LC medal. He's turned up at a few Hibs games since as a fan. That said, I doubt it will be us.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Wish Scott Brown all the best. A cup winner at Hibs and a cracking player who we sold for a record fee, no reason not to like the guy. However the idea of going to his Celtic testimonial match is of absolutely no interest to me.

Wouldn'i waste my money , whoever it is

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Wish Scott Brown all the best. A cup winner at Hibs and a cracking player who we sold for a record fee, no reason not to like the guy. However the idea of going to his Celtic testimonial match is of absolutely no interest to me.
    Likewise

more like an 11 from Palestine so they can wave their flags again

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Totally agree.

Loved him at Hibs and wish him all the best but there is absolutely no chance of me going through to the weej for the testimonial of a Celtc player, even if it was free to get in.

If it was just the current Hibs team I'd not really be interested but I'd go if it included players that he'd played with at Hibs

@hibs.net private member Biggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chlub Hibernian View Post
    I remember a game at Innerleithen Vs Vale.
    Ha, well done mate !
    Hibs sent a team down to the vale for Colin Graham's testimonial (mid 80's I think). Colin is a big hibbie and was a great servant to the vale. (at least 10 years with them)
    "I don't have any regrets about not moving during my playing career. I was born a Hibee, my dad was a Hibee, I will stay a Hibee and I'll die a Hibee." -Lawrie Reilly

Scott Brown has always seemed to me someone who found his comfort zone at celtic and never was ambitious enough to try his hand down in England. Now maybe thats unfair, maybe he's decided not to venture outside of Scotland for family reasons but thats just my opinion. I think Scott Brown could have played down in England, perhaps at a championship club or a lower premier league club but as I say I think he lacked a bit of ambition.

Really like him though, he's exactly the sort of player you want in your team. Will run through brick walls for you. Sometimes a bit hot headed, his sending off at Ross County last season was a prime example, when he saw red after the penalty incident and ended up clattering someone but he's certainly calmed down a lot since he was a young lad at hibs.

Lost all interest in Brown when he handed in a transfer request.

Quote Originally Posted by 21.05.2016 View Post
    Scott Brown has always seemed to me someone who found his comfort zone at celtic and never was ambitious enough to try his hand down in England. Now maybe thats unfair, maybe he's decided not to venture outside of Scotland for family reasons but thats just my opinion. I think Scott Brown could have played down in England, perhaps at a championship club or a lower premier league club but as I say I think he lacked a bit of ambition.

Really like him though, he's exactly the sort of player you want in your team. Will run through brick walls for you. Sometimes a bit hot headed, his sending off at Ross County last season was a prime example, when he saw red after the penalty incident and ended up clattering someone but he's certainly calmed down a lot since he was a young lad at hibs.
    Bit in bold in not only unfair, it's just simply made up by you. He's been quoted in the past as saying he simply didn't want to leave Celtic and there is nothing wrong with that.......

I dont think you can blame Brown for staying at Celtic when you look at what he has achieved.

Captained Celtic for close to a decade , played dozens of games in the Champions League and Europa League, won multiple league and cup medals and captained his country.

When you look at other Scottish players who have gone down south who can you say has achieved more than Brown? Naismith? Maloney? Adam? Snodgrass? These guys might have more money than Brown but you could argue Brown's legacy will be remembered longer than these guys.