hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Who comes in now

Now that Cummings has left and we're left with two recognised strikers the squad is looking a bit thin, it looks like we need a keeper a couple of midfleders and two strikers. Hopefully Marciano and Whittaker sign which would be the back more than sorted but a huge window now to replace the goals of JC and the overall lack of them anyway. Moult and Stweart along with a another striker and attacking mid/wide player would see us right hopefully

2. Log in to remove the advert

Really hope we get Moult and Stewart now. Would be two great signing and maybe another midfielder too

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 18Hibee75 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Really hope we get Moult and Stewart now. Would be two great signing and maybe another midfielder too

Think Redknapp said Stewart's going nowhere just now

Reality is Jason provided lots of points from his goals in the last few seasons as we stand squad wise at the minute we are looking at a relegation battle.

Plenty of time though for Lennon to bring in replacements let's hope he's given some cash to bring in some quality replacements.

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Simon Murray and Brian Graham?

We should move quickly for Boyce. We can afford the fee, so let's get it done.
    For all the talk of Burton Albion they have not triggered the release clause yet. Let's get it done Hibs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    For all the talk of Burton Albion they have not triggered the release clause yet. Let's get it done Hibs.

Yip this for me also.

Lennon seems to have contacts with agents that seem to get hold of players from fairly obscure foreign clubs such as Ashdod.

I suspect we'll get people we've never heard of.

The final third is the hardest and most expensive place to get effective players.

Anyone that we would like to see join us, we won't be able to afford - that's the nature of the market. I think we can forget about the likes of Moult or Boyce. Yes, we've got money from Jason's transfer but it won't stretch to the transfer fees and wages that these players will command while their stock is so high.

We might get a decent player who played in Scotland before, went down to England and failed and needs to come back to rebuild their reputation.

I'm a wee bit nervous. I wasn't ever 100% convinced by Jason but he scored goals. I thought Holt put in a good shift for us last year in spite of not scoring many.

We don't tend to be good at replacing goalscorers when they leave.

This is a big, tough challenge for Lennon.

Fortunately the rest of our squad is looking pretty good, especially if we secure Marciano.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Lennon seems to have contacts with agents that seem to get hold of players from fairly obscure foreign clubs such as Ashdod.

I suspect we'll get people we've never heard of.

The final third is the hardest and most expensive place to get effective players.

Anyone that we would like to see join us, we won't be able to afford - that's the nature of the market. I think we can forget about the likes of Moult or Boyce. Yes, we've got money from Jason's transfer but it won't stretch to the transfer fees and wages that these players will command while their stock is so high.

We might get a decent player who played in Scotland before, went down to England and failed and needs to come back to rebuild their reputation.

I'm a wee bit nervous. I wasn't ever 100% convinced by Jason but he scored goals. I thought Holt put in a good shift for us last year in spite of not scoring many.

We don't tend to be good at replacing goalscorers when they leave.

This is a big, tough challenge for Lennon.

Fortunately the rest of our squad is looking pretty good, especially if we secure Marciano.
    Only Burton Albion appear interested in Boyce and they appear unwilling to pay the price. We are not competing with Barca here.

Coaching Staff
    The doom & glomers are out in force. Anyone who thinks the squad as it is today, will the same when the league kicks of is deluded.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    The doom & glomers are out in force. Anyone who thinks the squad as it is today, will the same when the league kicks of is deluded.
    Don't think there's much doom and gloom, just reality. Think we'll at least add a min of 4 players who will go straight into the team

Quote Originally Posted by York Hibees View Post
    Reality is Jason provided lots of points from his goals in the last few seasons as we stand squad wise at the minute we are looking at a relegation battle.

Plenty of time though for Lennon to bring in replacements let's hope he's given some cash to bring in some quality replacements.
    Let the bed wetting begin ...

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SloopJB View Post
    Yep, gone from challenging for 2nd to a relegation battle before the squad is known
    Unbelievable...much as I'm gutted to see JC leave we kind of knew it was coming and tbh he wasn't proven at Premiership level anyway....I'm excited to see the replacements and wish JC all the very best

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post

Have we shown interest in him?

St. Anthony Stokes.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Think Redknapp said Stewart's going nowhere just now
    Don't believe what every Tom, Dick or Harry says.

Quote Originally Posted by 18Hibee75 View Post
    Have we shown interest in him?

No idea but I think we should.

you have to feel sorry for whoever comes in, they will be judged against Jason while playing against a higher standard of opposition than Jason played against.
    I'm hoping there's no need for that due to them scoring enough goals

On that note - what is that number of goals?
    For me it's around the 15 mark - I'd have been happy with JC getting 15 at SPL level.

@hibs.net private member Hibby70's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibby70
    The positive thing here is that he's not gone just as the window closes. Plenty time to get a decent couple of players in.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibby70 View Post
    The positive thing here is that he's not gone just as the window closes. Plenty time to get a decent couple of players in.
    The positive thing will be if we sign someone decent in good time rather than wait and get a knockback just as the window closes.

First Team Breakthrough jingler1954's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The young one View Post
    Now that Cummings has left and we're left with two recognised strikers the squad is looking a bit thin, it looks like we need a keeper a couple of midfleders and two strikers. Hopefully Marciano and Whittaker sign which would be the back more than sorted but a huge window now to replace the goals of JC and the overall lack of them anyway. Moult and Stweart along with a another striker and attacking mid/wide player would see us right hopefully
    There is no way JC would be allowed to leave if a replacement was not already identified Hibs will be working away in the background and agreeing the final details with whoever it is.

Yep, gone from challenging for 2nd to a relegation battle before the squad is known
    Very good.

Not sure where I said we were challenging for second ....

Quote Originally Posted by Borderhibbie76 View Post
    Unbelievable...much as I'm gutted to see JC leave we kind of knew it was coming and tbh he wasn't proven at Premiership level anyway....I'm excited to see the replacements and wish JC all the very best

I think the bit about unproven at Premiership level is a good point.

Yes he did well against Premiership teams when we played them in the cups but that's a different matter to racking up a decent total in the league. You could argue that his league goalscoring stats are disappointing given his obvious ability.

For a great many reasons I hope his replacement does score goals but not the least of those reasons would be to avoid the classic .Net tradition of people we didn't sign, sold or who are not currently in the team being a stick on for Ronaldo level feats of goalscoring.

Realistically, I think JC would have been doing well to hit 12-15 goals in the SPL.
    Not saying he wouldn't have scored more but the pattern would point to those kind of numbers being a good return imo.

I just hope we don't finish 6th or 7th with his replacement getting slaughtered for "only" scoring 14 or 15 goals when if we'd kept JC he'd have scored 30+ to see us finish 2nd.

Absolute crap.

@hibs.net private member
    It will be hard to replace Jason's goals by signing a single player within budget. We have been very reliant on Jason and we need to make sure the goals are spread around more unless Lennon can unearth a 20 a goal striker, I think that is hugely unlikely. I think we should concentrate on two signings to form a partnership or one to play with Murray if Lennon sees him as a starter. That combined with another striker or two for the bench and another goal scoring midfielder could give us goals from different players which could prove just as effective as our departed talisman.

I'd like to see us in for Lewis Morgan and Jordan Jones. Both good, young wide players with pace and an eye for goal.
    Then we need a couple of new strikers.
    I think Lennon will fancy another experienced target man like Holt.

Left by mutual consent!
    Wouldnt be surprised to see his replacement being someone who hasnt been linked with us yet..

That's a weird thing to say.

First off, three of our strikers have moved on including the usual 1st choice pairing of Cummings and Holt with only one in you'd assume we're bringing in 2 more one of whom would be earmarked for starting every week.

But then the second thing - looking at our midfield and particularly our defence I'd say that going in with Murray, Boyle and Graham with Shaw as a backup you'd still be nowhere near a relegation battle.

If we steer clear of injuries to Gray and Stevenson I'd expect us to be right up there with anyone other than Celtic in terms of goals conceded and that alone would keep us well clear of the relegation teams conceding 60 - 70 goals.

Quote Originally Posted by The Leith Dutch View Post
    That's a weird thing to say.

First off, three of our strikers have moved on including the usual 1st choice pairing of Cummings and Holt with only one in you'd assume we're bringing in 2 more one of whom would be earmarked for starting every week.

But then the second thing - looking at our midfield and particularly our defence I'd say that going in with Murray, Boyle and Graham with Shaw as a backup you'd still be nowhere near a relegation battle.

If we steer clear of injuries to Gray and Stevenson I'd expect us to be right up there with anyone other than Celtic in terms of goals conceded and that alone would keep us well clear of the relegation teams conceding 60 - 70 goals.
    I think we are strong at the back. Need more goals from midfield as last season proved. Swanson should help. Hopefully mcginn will stay but I think we may cash in while he has two years or so left.

We struggled last year to kill teams off even with Jason's goals. This year the competition will be harder.

As I said we have plenty of time to find replacements but as we stand imo we will struggle.

I can't see how Lennon won't get the money to bring in replacements given season ticket revenue etc.

I think we are strong at the back. Need more goals from midfield as last season proved. Swanson should help. Hopefully mcginn will stay but I think we may cash in while he has two years or so left.

We struggled last year to kill teams off even with Jason's goals. This year the competition will be harder.

As I said we have plenty of time to find replacements but as we stand imo we will struggle.

I can't see how Lennon won't get the money to bring in replacements given season ticket revenue etc.
    I think with McGinn it will depend on if someone comes in for him. It's clear that Celtic are not interested as they would have moved by now. They were sharp enough going for Hayes.