hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Official Site: BETFRED CUP SECTION AND SEEDING CONFIRMED

2. Log in to remove the advert

Could be a couple of long trips in there!

First Team Regular Billy McKirdy's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: N?A Wii Code: N?A
    So Hibs and Hearts are in the North section but Edinburgh City are in the South?
    Who makes this up?

Shambles again......
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Remind me, if we draw Hearts away, where will it be played?

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Remind me, if we draw Hearts away, where will it be played?
    The PBS........

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorebridge Hibb View Post
    The PBS........

No it won't. The stand won't be ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    No it won't. The stand won't be ready.

yes it will. already been confirmed itll be played infront of 3 stands

Turned this cup into pre season friendlies group stages.

How do they organise who plays home or away?

Is it just the winner that goes through? Doesn't really give detail

@hibs.net private member PeeKay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IanM View Post
    Is it just the winner that goes through? Doesn't really give detail
    According to SPFL web site, eight group winners and four best runners-up go through. Joined by the four clubs involved in European competition in the second round to make up the last sixteen.

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    This is as good a motivation as anything to finish in a European place or win the cup next season to avoid being involved in this pointless ***** in 2018.

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Hearts
    Brechin
    Elgin
    Buckie

Please.
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

1 in 4 chance of a summer derby.

Just put it back to how it was before. If you want to freshen it up invite all the highland and lowland league teams in from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post
    This is as good a motivation as anything to finish in a European place or win the cup next season to avoid being involved in this pointless ***** in 2018.
    Lol. And a lot of folk have been crying out for the League Cup to be revamped for years. I'm glad we're involved. A bit of meaningful pre-season competition and a chance to maybe go to some grounds we haven't been to in years.

Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    yes it will. already been confirmed itll be played infront of 3 stands
    Is there no issue with their pitch being ready in time? Where has it been said they'll be playing League Cup ties there?

Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    Lol. And a lot of folk have been crying out for the League Cup to be revamped for years. I'm glad we're involved. A bit of meaningful pre-season competition and a chance to maybe go to some grounds we haven't been to in years.
    I look through that list of teams and see that celtc, st j, the dons and sevco aren't there are feel we've been chucked in with the dross tbh. I'd much rather give it a miss and while people may well have been crying out or otherwise longing for the return of regional group league cup matches I've never been one of that number.

I would have thought most hibbies will have seen enough of lower league grounds in the last 3 seasons to want to avoid being involved in this given the alternative is the prize of success and a chance to play in a decent stadium in Europe like we did last season.

I look through that list of teams and see that celtc, st j, the dons and sevco aren't there are feel we've been chucked in with the dross tbh. I'd much rather give it a miss and while people may well have been crying out or otherwise longing for the return of regional group league cup matches I've never been one of that number.

I would have thought most hibbies will have seen enough of lower league grounds in the last 3 seasons to want to avoid being involved in this given the alternative is the prize of success and a chance to play in a decent stadium in Europe like we did last season.
    The only way we could have done that would have been by retaining the cup. That was always going to be a big ask. Anyway, we'll agree to disagree. We missed out on the League Cup sections last season but I can't wait for the new season to start. If that means trips to some far flung outpost in high summer, bring it on.

Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    The only way we could have done that would have been by retaining the cup. That was always going to be a big ask. Anyway, we'll agree to disagree. We missed out on the League Cup sections last season but I can't wait for the new season to start. If that means trips to some far flung outpost in high summer, bring it on.
    So as I said initially (before your LOL moment) I'm hoping we won't be involved in 2018. Of course it's unavoidable this season but I'm hoping instead for European football next time around on the back of a successful 17/18 league and or cup campaign.
    Last edited by Mr White; 31-05-2017 at 08:53 PM.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    I don't really understand why people are moaning about this - other than just to moan at the sfa for whatever they do.

Looking forward to the draw! Hopefully we get Dundee, East Fife, and cowdenbeath. Should give us the best chance to progress without having to travel too far! Shame I'll miss most of the matches.
    Mon the Hibs.

I don't think the OP is saying he'd rather be in the league cup group stages than the europa league

First Team Regular Topographic Hibby's Avatar
    Don't see what all the fuss is about. It's seeded groups and that's all. The problem is calling them North, South or even East, West. There are always going to be teams that don't quite align to the descriptions or teams from the same city/area that are in different groups.

Should have been called Group A or B etc, made up up from "approximate regional groupings" or other fancy wording.

Still have the chance of an early Derby, so bring it on!!!

Buckie or Elgin away on a Saturday in July would be a nice wee trip up.

Quote Originally Posted by samcrowe View Post
    I don't think the OP is saying he'd rather be in the league cup group stages than the europa league
    I don't think he was either. I was just explaining why I'd rather we weren't involved in avoidable and in my view pointless games against lower league opposition. If we get a derby out of it I'll probably look at it a bit differently though tbh.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    I don't think he was either. I was just explaining why I'd rather we weren't involved in avoidable and in my view pointless games against lower league opposition. If we get a derby out of it I'll probably look at it a bit differently though tbh.
    Not really sure I want a Derby this early to be honest

Testimonial Due
    The aim should always be for Europe, so yes we should be looking to avoid these games.

But I don't agree they are pointless when it is one of two competitions we have realistic chance of winning. Last season 3 premiership teams didn't get out of this stage, and if we do that this year I know I won't be happy, and sure I won't be in the minority

Quote Originally Posted by ElginHibbie View Post
    The aim should always be for Europe, so yes we should be looking to avoid these games.

But I don't agree they are pointless when it is one of two competitions we have realistic chance of winning. Last season 3 premiership teams didn't get out of this stage, and if we do that this year I know I won't be happy, and sure I won't be in the minority
    Which is another reason I don't like the new format. In previous seasons as a top flight club we only needed to win one game against lower league opposition to reach the last 16 of a cup that I'd love to see us win again. Now we have to play 4 games and it's a lot harder to progress. Overall I'd be happier for a number of reasons if we weren't involved and as i said last night here's hoping we aren't in it next season.

Edit- I agree they're not pointless that was a poor choice of words. Unnecessary is a better description I think.
    Last edited by Mr White; 01-06-2017 at 08:56 AM.

Testimonial Due
    Which is another reason I don't like the new format. In previous seasons as a top flight club we only needed to win one game against lower league opposition to reach the last 16 of a cup that I'd love to see us win again. Now we have to play 4 games and it's a lot harder to progress. Overall I'd be happier for a number of reasons if we weren't involved and as i said last night here's hoping we aren't in it next season.

Edit- I agree they're not pointless that was a poor choice of words. Unnecessary is a better description I think.
    I am a fan of the format, but I am probably looking it more from an Elgin City point of view, guaranteed visit from a "big" club, replaces some of usually tedious friendlies and more chance of getting a shock victory at start of season, though season before last Elgin did beat a Hearts XI 5-1 so that was a fun day

Though I can see where you are coming from, bigger clubs are the ones losing out, more so Hibs and Hearts being "North" clubs. But alternative would be making the draw lopsided and lower league teams being top seeds in one section while premiership teams are second seeds in another, SPFL can't win.