hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: White sleeves

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Was Harry Swan not the owner when we won 3 leagues in about ten years?

Yeah, this thread's taken a really weird turn.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    From memory, it was presented to Swan’s widow after the great man died. You would hope it’s a family heirloom.

I remember interviewing Jim Gray years ago and asking him about archived stuff. He said that sadly people hadn’t really had the foresight to appreciate the value in old stuff, like contracts and the like. Very little had been saved for posterity. Imagine a Gordon Smith or Eddie Turnbull contract in the club’s museum.
    On a similar subject I recall many years ago meeting the guy who was (I think) the head librarian at the Scotsman/Evening News photo library. Bill Brady might have been his name. When I asked if it might be possible to order some old pics of the Famous Five era for my dad he said that countless glass negatives from that era had been destroyed, partly to make space in the library and also because (as you say) folk didn't really see the long-term value in such things. As a result they possessed far fewer pics of Edinburgh football in that era than they should have. I had wondered before that why you so often saw the same pic of Gordon Smith etc reprinted and why there don't appear to be many pics around of Hibs and Hearts lifting the league trophy etc.
    Last edited by G B Young; 23-10-2020 at 01:47 PM.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Was Harry Swan not the owner when we won 3 leagues in about ten years?
    3 in 5 seasons

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pagan Hibernia View Post
    3 in 5 seasons
    Lost out on goal average in one of them .Still the first team from the East to win back to back league titles .
    SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016
    GGTTH

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by erin go bragh View Post
    Lost out on goal average in one of them .Still the first team from the East to win back to back league titles .
    yep. Champions in 48, 51 and 52.

missed out by 2 points in 47, a single point in 50, and goal average when going for the hat trick in 53.

a truly beautiful period that will never be seen again.

I have to get dressed up today and I'm considering wearing a white shirt but, after reading this thread, I'm now worried that I might somehow be subconsciously trying to downplay Hibs' Irish Catholic heritage, what with it having white sleeves....

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    I have to get dressed up today and I'm considering wearing a white shirt but, after reading this thread, I'm now worried that I might somehow be subconsciously trying to downplay Hibs' Irish Catholic heritage, what with it having white sleeves....
    Nibbling away at the green bit by bit on the off chance some bigots might think they'll now pop along and support the Hibs.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mick O'Rourke View Post
    You mention Alan Lugton
    As a wee schoolboy, late 50s early 60s, i travelled to away games on the St Giles bus
    As did Alan Lugton
    I recall many Irish Songs being sung on the bus though sometimes bus convener would call a halt to some of the songs
    One chant, though that i did not realise the significance till i was older, was against Harry Swan
    "we'll hang Harry Swan wae a rope aroond his neck" was the chant

The removal of The Harp being responsible for this chant?

Older fans may recall that Hibs"iost"a number of supporters who objected to the removal of the.Harp
    Interestingly a Celtic SC was started in Edinburgh's Southside during this period.
    My late father in law told me a few tales about following Hibs in the 50s and 60s. He was from East Lothian and knew Jimmy Kerr the keeper from the 48 league championship side (and later a director and friend of Tom Hart) who used to had him comp tickets for ER on occasion.
    He said that the fans he palled about with were often critical of Mr Swan but mainly for being a tightwad and that they blamed Swan for nearly losing Lawrie Reilly over money and then losing Joe Baker over something like a fiver a week or something. There were often heated disagreements over where the money at Hibs were going when the club was doing well, playing regularly in front of huge crowds and then getting into stand offs with players over smallish sums of money.

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    Most club owners in Scotland were tight fisted. It took the Bosman ruling to change that.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire