hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: White sleeves

Left by mutual consent!

White sleeves

Does anyone know why we adopted 'Arsenal' style white sleeves back in the 1930's ? Harry Swan had just become Chairman. Did he have a connection with Arsenal or was it just Harry making his mark ? One for the history guys.

2. Log in to remove the advert

I've read that it was a simple matter of brightening up the teams image, apparently Mr Swan thought we were a bit dull. One of the best decisions made by the great Harry Swan which created one of the best strips in world football ..... not that I'm biased of course

@hibs.net private member
    Read an article a few years back when I was living down south in Englandshire about how referees seem to think it's a lot easier to spot infringements caused by the arms ( pulling shirts pushing etc) when a player is wearing white sleeves. If I remember correctly article said its a lot harder to spot infringements with darker coloured sleeves.

Not sure how correct this is but did wonder at the time if Hibs should try a season with all green tops just to see if it made a difference to amount of fouls we gave away.
    GGTTH

Quote Originally Posted by southsider View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Does anyone know why we adopted 'Arsenal' style white sleeves back in the 1930's ? Harry Swan had just become Chairman. Did he have a connection with Arsenal or was it just Harry making his mark ? One for the history guys.
    Hibs and Arsenal adopted white sleeves at the same time. The style was copied from the Austrian national team who had toured the UK the season before.
    Last edited by Kato; 28-05-2017 at 11:41 AM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Job and Arsenal adopted white sleeves at the same time. The style was copied from the Austrian national team who had toured the UK the season before.
    Great stuff. Cheers for that

Best strip in the world. Pretty sure those brilliant white sleeves are a factor in why we perform better under floodlights. I'm always more confident heading to ER for a winter night game.

I'd like to see us wear the all green top once a decade to commemorate the Hibs team who where the first Edinburgh team to win the Scottish cup. Every year ending in 7 would do me as in 1887. This would annoy some other locals.

Hibs and Arsenal adopted white sleeves at the same time. The style was copied from the Austrian national team who had toured the UK the season before.
    Arsenal history books have it down as Herbert Chapman noticing that someone in the crowd? or on the golf course? wearing a tank top over a white shirt was easy to pick out

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by southern hibby View Post
    Read an article a few years back when I was living down south in Englandshire about how referees seem to think it's a lot easier to spot infringements caused by the arms ( pulling shirts pushing etc) when a player is wearing white sleeves. If I remember correctly article said its a lot harder to spot infringements with darker coloured sleeves.

Not sure how correct this is but did wonder at the time if Hibs should try a season with all green tops just to see if it made a difference to amount of fouls we gave away.
    GGTTH
    We did in 2014-15 - must be a way of checking our foul count.

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RagingReality View Post
    We did in 2014-15 - must be a way of checking our foul count.
    not sure about foul count but

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/scot...saison_id=2014
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

@hibs.net private member GreenLake's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
    I'd like to see us wear the all green top once a decade to commemorate the Hibs team who where the first Edinburgh team to win the Scottish cup. Every year ending in 7 would do me as in 1887. This would annoy some other locals.
    I would like to see us wear hoops at Parkhead.

Quote Originally Posted by Same Sleeves View Post
    Arsenal history books have it down as Herbert Chapman noticing that someone in the crowd? or on the golf course? wearing a tank top over a white shirt was easy to pick out
    Well they're not going to admit to copying Jonny Foreigner now are they.

That was the story I read mate, and Austria did tour around that time, with white sleeves and pretty soon after both Arsenal and Hibs had them too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by southern hibby View Post

GGTTH
    Interesting point about the lighter/whiter shirts being easier for refs to see infringements. I read a while ago that the wearing of brighter coloured boots made it easier for defenders to a detect and anticipate the intentions of attacking players. Don't know if that's tosh, however.

That was the story I read mate, and Austria did tour around that time, with white sleeves and pretty soon after both Arsenal and Hibs had them too.
    I always thought the black with white sleeves the Germans wore in 'escape to victory' was a quality strip

Quote Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
    Not sure why but in the season when we did the 7-0 at Tynecastle wearing our normal white sleeves, at the home game earlier in the season we wore an all green top, won 2-0

Quote Originally Posted by delbert View Post
    Not sure why but in the season when we did the 7-0 at Tynecastle wearing our normal white sleeves, at the home game earlier in the season we wore an all green top, won 2-0
    ...and Hearts wore their completely inappropriate Ajax type strip in the same match.

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by delbert View Post
    Why did they wear all green?
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

Arsenal adopted the white sleeves five years before Hibs made the change. IMO white sleeves look far better with the Green 🇳🇬🇳🇬

Hibs have always been innovative throughout our history, being first to introduce so many things into football. In terms of football strips we were the first to wear the Green and the first " senior" club to have a shirt sponsor but unfortunately can't lay claim to white sleeves ..... can't do everything ourselves

Hibernian .. "the team that leads where others like to follow" could be our motto.

Here's an interesting site about football strips for anyone who hasn't seen it before:

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Articles/History.htm
    "The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it" - George Bernard Shaw.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    Arsenal adopted the white sleeves five years before Hibs made the change. IMO white sleeves look far better with the Green 🇳🇬🇳🇬

Hibs have always been innovative throughout our history, being first to introduce so many things into football. In terms of football strips we were the first to wear the Green and the first " senior" club to have a shirt sponsor but unfortunately can't lay claim to white sleeves ..... can't do everything ourselves

Hibernian .. "the team that leads where others like to follow" could be our motto.

Here's an interesting site about football strips for anyone who hasn't seen it before:

Cheers,bud. It was a story I read, probably on here, which you've blown out the water by using facts. Very novel of you . So it looks like we did copy the Arse, there were a few friendlies between the clubs back then, maybe Swan picked up in I then.

Arsenal definitely had white sleeves first but, to be fair, Aston Villa started the idea of having lighter sleeves.

Villa's current strip, Claret with Sky Blue Sleeves, was first worn in 1890, after a rather strange and motley collection of colours and styles.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxyhibee View Post
    Best strip in the world. Pretty sure those brilliant white sleeves are a factor in why we perform better under floodlights. I'm always more confident heading to ER for a winter night game.
    Interesting point. I'm just happy when we're not playing in black. Can't stand that and it must be a bit harder to pick out teammates. I don't care what anyone says.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by Same Sleeves View Post

This is the story I heard, too. Austrian tour, golf course, white sleeves good, Arsenal and Hibs adopt new strips in imitation.

BTW - they weren't called 'tank tops' in those days. For most of my young life they were called 'sleeveless pullovers'; my mother knitted them for me, and I totally hated the things. Cricketers used to wear white ones with a border in the club colours on moderately chilly days until quite recently. If you got them long enough they kept your lower back and bum really warm. My mum didn't knit them long enough.

I'm fairly certain there was something in an old program in the 80s about the white sleeves being adopted due to some connection with Arsenal, but the only notable player I know of was Bill Harper, who left Hibs for the Arse in 1925, and rejoined them again in the 30s after a stint in the States.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aalborg Hibs View Post
    I'm fairly certain there was something in an old program in the 80s about the white sleeves being adopted due to some connection with Arsenal, but the only notable player I know of was Bill Harper, who left Hibs for the Arse in 1925, and rejoined them again in the 30s after a stint in the States.

It's in my mind that we played Arsenal in a friendly, possibly around the time of the 1938 Empire Exhibition, and Harry Swan was so impressed by their smart new shirts that he copied them for Hibs the following season?

That rings a bell, sounds like the story I half remembered.

The transfer fee from Harper - 4 grand - was allegedly used to build the old main stand.

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Interesting point. I'm just happy when we're not playing in black. Can't stand that and it must be a bit harder to pick out teammates. I don't care what anyone says.
    Yup. The New Zealand rugby squad really struggle with that.

Ask Man U about THAT grey top......

Don't know the story behind Arsenal adopting the white sleeves but the story I was led to believe regards ourselves goes as follows...
    Chapman had changed the strip and led Arsenal to 3 consecutive titles, first time in English football history.

Hibs had already decided to brighten our strip up by going from bottle green to emerald but chose to add the white sleeves in honor of Chapmans (a pround Scot and the Pride of the country at the time) achievement.
    Last edited by Renfrew_Hibby; 29-05-2017 at 07:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Renfrew_Hibby View Post
    Don't know the story behind Arsenal adopting the white sleeves but the story I was led to believe regards ourselves goes as follows...
    Chapman had changed the strip and led Arsenal to 3 consecutive titles, first time in English football history.

Hibs had already decided to brighten our strip up by going from bottle green to emerald but chose to add the white sleeves in honor of Chapmans (a pround Scot and the Pride of the country at the time) achievement.
    Herbert Chapman wasn't Scottish. Huddersfield won three consecutive championships in the 1920s, two of them under Herbert Chapman.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post

Apparently the first team to sing "Glory glory" as well (thanks Hector Nicol), although I can't find a proper source