hibs.net Messageboard

Page 31 of 39 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Hibs1972 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I managed to get an exacta(forecast)up yesterday in the big race at Newcastle, Nicholas T 33-1 and Hochfeld 2nd at 28-1, 1 of those bets you dream about getting but realistically it very rarely does, including the 10% bonus it was £1,476.31, still can’t believe it.
    Great stuff mate, love to hear stories like that.

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by ekhibee View Post
    Great stuff mate, love to hear stories like that.
    Cheers mate, couldn’t hit a cows a**e with a banjo today but not to worry. Money was banked yesterday so very good weekend.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    I managed to get an exacta(forecast)up yesterday in the big race at Newcastle, Nicholas T 33-1 and Hochfeld 2nd at 28-1, 1 of those bets you dream about getting but realistically it very rarely does, including the 10% bonus it was £1,476.31, still can’t believe it.
    Wow, well done. I actually had Nicholas T ew in my betslip, thought of the last Goldie horse I backed in a big race which bombed then removed it.

I see Euchen Glen won another listed race at Sandown today.

What a horse he has been for Jim Goldie and that's a group 3 and a listed win for him this season.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

First Team Breakthrough
    The mighty Galileo passed away today at the age of 23, great horse on the track but as a stallion has produced some the best horses, ever!! Frankel obviously the top but sire to no fewer than 5 Derby winners, will never see his like again.

A huge loss to the thoroughbred breeding industry.

Not only a sire of great horses but also a sire of sires. There's only a handful of horses that leave a lasting legacy and really put their stamp on the breed but Galileo was one.

Looks like Hurricane Lane is turning into the latest wonder horse, what a performance on bottomless ground there.

Only defeat was in The Derby when he lost both front shoes, still got placed.
    Last edited by HUTCHYHIBBY; 14-07-2021 at 07:02 PM.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    I've only just seen your post, mate. Very well done, that's superb.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Anybody see the race at Doncaster this evening - Mark Crehan on Aerion Power in a Class 2? A real mess, as Crehan eased down in the last twenty yards, with the race in the bag? I can only think he misjudged the winning post, as the race was too close for Crehan to think he could ease down and still win. He has some explaining to do.

Crehan banned for 28 days for misjudging the winning post. It certainly doesn't look like cheating; just a very unfortunate error.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    Crehan banned for 28 days for misjudging the winning post. It certainly doesn't look like cheating; just a very unfortunate error.

He can blame the sun all he likes, no excuses!

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    He can blame the sun all he likes, no excuses!
    Yes, a terrible error, but he didn't throw the race. A real shame for him and all who backed the horse.

Left by mutual consent!
    Yes, a terrible error, but he didn't throw the race. A real shame for him and all who backed the horse.
    That looked bent as anything. If you want to comfort blanket yourself, no worries. The jockey threw that, no doubt in my mind looking at the video evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Block View Post
    That looked bent as anything. If you want to comfort blanket yourself, no worries. The jockey threw that, no doubt in my mind looking at the video evidence.
    What makes you think that? If a jockey wants to cheat, he makes it far less obvious. He had the race won, eased down, realised his error and then tried to go again. I think the evidence shows a clear case of a terrible but unintentional error. No jockey would risk 28 days of no income for a race like that.

@hibs.net private member
    What makes you think that? If a jockey wants to cheat, he makes it far less obvious. He had the race won, eased down, realised his error and then tried to go again. I think the evidence shows a clear case of a terrible but unintentional error. No jockey would risk 28 days of no income for a race like that.
    Exactly you could lose a lot easier than that and far less obvious

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba;662243[B
    9]What makes you think that[/B]? If a jockey wants to cheat, he makes it far less obvious. He had the race won, eased down, realised his error and then tried to go again. I think the evidence shows a clear case of a terrible but unintentional error. No jockey would risk 28 days of no income for a race like that.
    From watching the video. The video is clear that the jockey intentionally cheated. If it is now the norm to tell lies the so be it. I'm not one of those who fabricate lies against truth. Okay?

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    interesting first post

It happens. I've seen a jockey miscalculate the finishing post by an entire circuit before. I've seen jockeys take the wrong course and end up on a hurdles course rather than the chase.

Mistake or otherwise it deserves a hefty punishment and 28 days without a riding fee coupled with the reputation damage is a pretty severe punishment. Jockeys have a responsibility to know the course.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibs View Post
    From watching the video. The video is clear that the jockey intentionally cheated. If it is now the norm to tell lies the so be it. I'm not one of those who fabricate lies against truth. Okay?
    Very strange post....are you and Block the same person?? It's obvious he didn't cheat. That's not how bent jockeys throw races.

Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    interesting first post
    Interesting is one word. WTF?

Just finished watching Panorama - the dark side of horse racing, not a pleasant/comfortable watch whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    Just finished watching Panorama - the dark side of horse racing, not a pleasant/comfortable watch whatsoever.
    It definitely wasn't.

I was quite disconcerted to see so many both within racing and as fans refuse to condemn the actions at first. There was a lot of deflection that it was an issue with one specific abattoir and a lot of backslapping about how the majority take great care to rehome their horses well and it only becomes an issue further down the line long after they leave the yard. Thankfully Kim bailey has broken ranks today and said there needs to be a collective responsibility taken and the good guys shouldn't be used to try and exonerate the bad apples.

For me the biggest issue is overbreeding. There are thousands of low pedigree horses bred to run in low quality races for minuscule purses. Everyone hopes to live the fairytale but few do. There are 2 trainers in Ireland who I am aware have been tracked for some time. Every week the IHRB release the names of horses reported as died by their trainers in the preceding week. One of these trainers had 20 horses, all aged 3 or 4 and all with a handful of races under their belt, reported as died within a 2 month period. The other had 7, all with similar backgrounds, in a single week. If a couple of racing fans on the internet noticed that then the IHRB certainly did, yet both still hold licenses.

Ultimately racing is a livetstock industry in which animals are bred for profit. In any livestock industry there will be 'wastage'. However racing is judged to a different standard, largely because people like horses more than cows or sheep but it goes deeper than that. As such racing has a responsibility to ensure the highest welfare for the horse from birth to death. If a horse is euthanised at 3 solely because they aren't winning low grade races then racing has failed the animal, if a healthy horse suitable for retaining or rehoming ends up being shot at distance in an abattoir then racing has also failed.

I understand why some racing fans would have an aversion to anything produced with the input of Animal Aid. Nothing will satisfy them short of as complete ban on all equine sports and they can't be reasoned or negotiated with. In this instance though they have shown something wholly unsavoury and racing as an industry and we as fans have to condemn it.

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    I didn't see it, but assume it's on i-player? Sounds interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    It definitely wasn't.

I was quite disconcerted to see so many both within racing and as fans refuse to condemn the actions at first. There was a lot of deflection that it was an issue with one specific abattoir and a lot of backslapping about how the majority take great care to rehome their horses well and it only becomes an issue further down the line long after they leave the yard. Thankfully Kim bailey has broken ranks today and said there needs to be a collective responsibility taken and the good guys shouldn't be used to try and exonerate the bad apples.

For me the biggest issue is overbreeding. There are thousands of low pedigree horses bred to run in low quality races for minuscule purses. Everyone hopes to live the fairytale but few do. There are 2 trainers in Ireland who I am aware have been tracked for some time. Every week the IHRB release the names of horses reported as died by their trainers in the preceding week. One of these trainers had 20 horses, all aged 3 or 4 and all with a handful of races under their belt, reported as died within a 2 month period. The other had 7, all with similar backgrounds, in a single week. If a couple of racing fans on the internet noticed that then the IHRB certainly did, yet both still hold licenses.

Ultimately racing is a livetstock industry in which animals are bred for profit. In any livestock industry there will be 'wastage'. However racing is judged to a different standard, largely because people like horses more than cows or sheep but it goes deeper than that. As such racing has a responsibility to ensure the highest welfare for the horse from birth to death. If a horse is euthanised at 3 solely because they aren't winning low grade races then racing has failed the animal, if a healthy horse suitable for retaining or rehoming ends up being shot at distance in an abattoir then racing has also failed.

I understand why some racing fans would have an aversion to anything produced with the input of Animal Aid. Nothing will satisfy them short of as complete ban on all equine sports and they can't be reasoned or negotiated with. In this instance though they have shown something wholly unsavoury and racing as an industry and we as fans have to condemn it.
    Yes, I'm not an expert, but I do know there is far more racing now than in the past. Is it really necessary to have seven races at Bath of an evening, with almost all horses rated below 55? What purpose does this serve?

Yes, I'm not an expert, but I do know there is far more racing now than in the past. Is it really necessary to have seven races at Bath of an evening, with almost all horses rated below 55? What purpose does this serve?
    Betting turnover will be the answer to that one.I try to limit myself to punting on the top level races these days but, and I used to do it myself, some folk will bet on anything.

Left by mutual consent!
    It doesn't serve anybody bar the very few heavily addicted who will bet theirs and their families assets until said assets are gone and the family doesn't realise until its way too late. The betting industry is too large and too devastating to those at the sharp end. Its time to reign it in before its too late to save it and those who suffer from it. Itv racing coverage is a step too far also that seeks to seem glamorous and harmless while all the time trying to suck the weak and gormless into the betting cesspit.

@hibs.net private member I'm_cabbaged's Avatar
    Going to mussy tonight, anyone got some info ?

@hibs.net private member McSwanky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by I'm_cabbaged View Post
    Going to mussy tonight, anyone got some info ?
    Yep, if you're coming from Edinburgh, go straight along the High Street, past Lucas on your right and it's about 500 yards on from there on your left. You can't miss it.

@hibs.net private member I'm_cabbaged's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by McSwanky View Post
    Yep, if you're coming from Edinburgh, go straight along the High Street, past Lucas on your right and it's about 500 yards on from there on your left. You can't miss it.

Knew that was coming!!

@hibs.net private member McSwanky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by I'm_cabbaged View Post
    Knew that was coming!!
    What, that's not what you meant?

OK, so my advice is to keep your well earned in your pocket... but if you must have a flutter, here's what I'm reliably (or otherwise) informed is least likely to see you go home empty handed:

Out of Breath 5:40
    Mokaman 7:52
    Clarendon House 8:22

Don't shoot the messenger!