hibs.net Messageboard

 

Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
Results 661 to 690 of 819
  1. #661
    @hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Musselburgh
    Age
    62
    Posts
    16,126
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibs1972 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Right lads, Cheltenham about 4 weeks away so had a wee look for a few tips to make us all a wee bit cash in time for pubs being opened again!
    5 horse acca to start:Shishkin(Arkle) Concertista(mares hurdle) Monkfish(brown advisory chase) Envoi Allen(Marsh chase) and Chacun Pour Soi(Champion chase) all look good individually I suppose but just canít see what(apart from the fences) can beat any of them. In the Supreme Iím going for Thedevilscoachman at 20-1 must be a cracking ew bet, admittedly well beaten by the fav before but has came on leaps n bounds since then and won easily last twice. Lastly Honeysuckle in the champion hurdle. Good luck!!!
    Cheers


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #662
    I liked the look of Monmiral at Haydock today. 4th race, 4th win and he does it with minimal fuss. I was intrigued to see if he was heading for the Triumph but he's not. He's joint owned by John Hales and Alex Ferguson and they, along with Paul Nicholls, have decided to head straight for Aintree then onto chasing next year. It's a similar path as the one he went with for Frodon and Clan Des Obeaux so will be interesting to watch over the next couple of years.

    Cyrname pulled up again. His form reads 2F1PP for his last 5 and I'll be looking straight past him for the Ryanair if he runs as they surely won't press ahead with his Gold Cup entry now.

  4. #663
    @hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ma bit
    Posts
    15,160
    Cyrname's form is very strange. He was jumping well today, only to suddenly seem to stop. Don't know if something is wrong physically, but it was alarming how quickly he ran out of petrol.

    I didn't see Goshen's race that he won by 22 lengths. He might be re-finding his form.
    Last edited by Hibernia&Alba; 20-02-2021 at 10:41 PM.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

  5. #664
    Goshen chucked a grenade in the champion hurdle market which looked to be between Epatante and Honeysuckle. Could be a belter of a race this year.

  6. #665
    I see Paul Nicholls has confirmed Black Corton is to retire after being pulled up today. He's going to live with Bryony Frost which is a good ending for him.

    He is one of those horses that is in a weird position though. Only 10 so realistically could have a couple of years left and would qualify for the veterans series. However he's not quite good enough for graded races anymore but almost too good for handicaps as he is landed with top weight regularly. You get the freaks like Denman or Many Clouds who can lump 11st 10 or 12lbs round and give weight to everyone but for many winning races is almost a curse.

    I'm not sure there is really a solution but it seems it's far easier to go up in the handicap than it is to come down gor some horses.

  7. #666
    Apologies for the Daily Mail link. However if there is anything in this then it really doesn't reflect well on Gordon Elliot....

    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sp...mpression=true
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

  8. #667
    @hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ma bit
    Posts
    15,160
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Apologies for the Daily Mail link. However if there is anything in this then it really doesn't reflect well on Gordon Elliot....

    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sp...mpression=true
    WTF? Is that genuine?
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

  9. #668
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    WTF? Is that genuine?
    I'm sceptical, something about the picture doesn't look right. However his response in Twitter doesn't read like much of a denial.

    I really hope it's not or it's a gift to the antis.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

  10. #669
    @hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Corstorphine
    Age
    54
    Posts
    2,350
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm sceptical, something about the picture doesn't look right. However his response in Twitter doesn't read like much of a denial.

    I really hope it's not or it's a gift to the antis.
    He has now admitted the photo is real.

  11. #670
    Quote Originally Posted by stantonhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He has now admitted the photo is real.
    The excuse is right out the Dominic Cummings play book.

    Horse died of a heart attack, I was standing over it to help remove it, my phone rang and I instinctively sat down to answer it then someone shouted on me so I gestured I would be 2 minutes.

    Sure thing Gordon.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

  12. #671
    @hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Musselburgh
    Age
    62
    Posts
    16,126
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The excuse is right out the Dominic Cummings play book.

    Horse died of a heart attack, I was standing over it to help remove it, my phone rang and I instinctively sat down to answer it then someone shouted on me so I gestured I would be 2 minutes.

    Sure thing Gordon.
    Funny that, Cummings was the first thing that came to my mind as well.

    I've never taken to Elliot, always thought there was something about him. Now we await what action will be taken against him....hmmmm.

  13. #672
    @hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ma bit
    Posts
    15,160
    Quote Originally Posted by stantonhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He has now admitted the photo is real.
    Then he is a total prick. Why does he have a big grin on face after the horse has just dropped dead?

    Can he be sanctioned by the racing authorities in Ireland? Deserves to be.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

  14. #673
    @hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ma bit
    Posts
    15,160
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The excuse is right out the Dominic Cummings play book.

    Horse died of a heart attack, I was standing over it to help remove it, my phone rang and I instinctively sat down to answer it then someone shouted on me so I gestured I would be 2 minutes.

    Sure thing Gordon.
    Fat fool expects that to fly? GTF.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

  15. #674
    @hibs.net private member Magpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    2,707
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Apologies for the Daily Mail link. However if there is anything in this then it really doesn't reflect well on Gordon Elliot....

    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sp...mpression=true
    Disgusting. Lost all respect for the guy.

  16. #675
    @hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Musselburgh
    Age
    62
    Posts
    16,126
    Elliot dropped by Betfair from his ambassador role but unsurprisingly, not by Michael O'Leary.

  17. #676
    @hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Corstorphine
    Age
    54
    Posts
    2,350
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Elliot dropped by Betfair from his ambassador role but unsurprisingly, not by Michael O'Leary.
    He probably took the picture.

  18. #677
    @hibs.net private member The Captain....'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Close to The Holy Ground
    Age
    51
    Posts
    746
    Enjoy my racing but more of a flat fan, however still keep an eye on the jumps and got family who are close to a couple of racing yards.

    Cannot believe how stupid Elliott has been here. Imo he has effectively ended his training career. I feel sorry for the hard working staff at his training centre who are likely to bare the brunt of the fall out in terms of cut backs etc. I see the BHA (an institution I have little regard for) have released a statement saying Elliott's horses cannot run at Cheltenham until the IHRB investigation is concluded and a decision reached. The most sensible course of action now would be for GE to step down voluntarily until after Cheltenham and Aintree with a full apology (not the mealy mouthed attempt at mitigating his actions he released last night).

    There are rumours there are further revelations to come, makes you wonder who has been behind it, as stupid as it was the timing is deliberate to cause maximum damage. The collateral fall out to racing in general has been disastrous.

  19. #678
    A horrible affair to be involved with. I have heard from a couple of Irish mates that there was a massive bust up at Elliots yard involving a couple of female employees both apparently seeking Elliots affection. One was Kate Harrington, daughter of Jessica and not too sure who the second woman was. Harrington apparently left with quite bad facial injuries

    Purely speculation however one of said women may have leaked this photo to an anonymous twitter account. Donít hold me as gospel to this however have seen some WhatsApp messages relating to this with a detailed story. Elliot as apparently a pig of a man so it may not all be rubbish.

  20. #679
    In actual racing news. Tiger Roll out of the National. Giggingstown unhappy with the weight allocation.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

  21. #680
    Cheveley Park removing all their horses from Elliot. Envoi Allen going to Henry De Bromhead.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

  22. #681
    @hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    lincolnshire
    Age
    60
    Posts
    19,765
    WTF is wrong with these people?

    Disrespecting the dead animals that they derive a very good living from. I'm a racing fan who has slowly been drifting away from it but if the authorities do not absolutely ostracise them then that might be it for me.

    There are no excuses or exceptions and certainly not the pathetic ones they are hoping to get away with here.

    In Elliott's case I think the picture and the excuse probably tells us much about the true nature of the "man".

    Biggest regret is more likely to be that they were outed.

    Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

    "I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

    Sir Matt Busby

  23. #682
    Coaching Staff heretoday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    West Edinburgh
    Posts
    12,728
    It's a bit hypocritical for the likes of Scudamore and Walsh to come out in emotional defence of racehorses when we've all seen them and others laying into their mounts like lunatics in the run-in.

    Racing can be a cruel sport for a horse unless it's one of the pampered few. Otherwise it's off to the knacker's.

  24. #683
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's a bit hypocritical for the likes of Scudamore and Walsh to come out in emotional defence of racehorses when we've all seen them and others laying into their mounts like lunatics in the run-in.

    Racing can be a cruel sport for a horse unless it's one of the pampered few. Otherwise it's off to the knacker's.
    I remember a few years ago Walsh caused a bit of a furore just before Cheltenham when he said horses were 'replaceable'. It was a bit unfair on him because it was reported without context, he had been speaking about the injury and subsequent death of JT McNamara a couple of minutes before and suggested the death of a horse had to be put into perspective.

    People can make their own judgement on that. However I think there has to be an acceptance that some people in racing will view horses as livestock. A farmer doesn't get emotionally attached to the sheep that make him his living; if one gets an infected tick bite he will dispatch it without a 2nd thought. Ultimately Thoroughbreds and Selle Francais horses are bred for a specific purpose and to all intents and purposes they are livestock. Gordon Elliot has hundred of horses in his yard, top jockeys ride hundreds of horses a year and it would be a fool that thinks they love every single one.

    That doesn't change the fact that they should be treated with the utmost respect in life and death though. Owners, breeders and trainers should be obliged to rehome horses whenever their careers end. That may stop the overbreeding of poor quality stock that is seen as dispensable. Further actions like that of Elliot or Rob James should be treated as the reprehensible acts they are and punished. Just because an animal is 'only' livestock doesn't mean it doesn't deserve due care and attention.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

  25. #684
    @hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ma bit
    Posts
    15,160
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In actual racing news. Tiger Roll out of the National. Giggingstown unhappy with the weight allocation.
    A real shame for the race, but they have to do what they think best for the horse.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Cheveley Park removing all their horses from Elliot. Envoi Allen going to Henry De Bromhead.
    Aye, ultimately the owners will decide Elliott's fate. If enough of them decide not to send their horses, he won't have a yard left. It will be interesting to see what happens.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

  26. #685
    Coaching Staff heretoday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    West Edinburgh
    Posts
    12,728
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A real shame for the race, but they have to do what they think best for the horse.



    Aye, ultimately the owners will decide Elliott's fate. If enough of them decide not to send their horses, he won't have a yard left. It will be interesting to see what happens.
    He'll get a knuckle rap. He probably knows too much about other bigwigs in the game.

  27. #686
    @hibs.net private member Magpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    2,707
    Gordon Elliott has been banned for a year - the last six months suspended - and has been fined Ä15,000 by the IHRB. The ban will begin on 9 March.

  28. #687
    That's far more than I expected. It won't go far enough for some of course but it's a pretty hefty ban.

    I assume it's him personally that has been banned rather than his yard? He employs 70+ people at Cullentra and it would be a shame if they lost their jobs because of his stupidity.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

  29. #688
    @hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ma bit
    Posts
    15,160
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's far more than I expected. It won't go far enough for some of course but it's a pretty hefty ban.

    I assume it's him personally that has been banned rather than his yard? He employs 70+ people at Cullentra and it would be a shame if they lost their jobs because of his stupidity.
    But how would that work? Wouldn't it be impossible to prevent his having input, if the yard stays open, even if he isn't there in person? It will be interesting to learn what the ban means in practice.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

  30. #689
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But how would that work? Wouldn't it be impossible to prevent his having input, if the yard stays open, even if he isn't there in person? It will be interesting to learn what the ban means in practice.
    I'd assume one of his assistants would just send horses to the races under their name. As you say it's unlikely Elliot wouldn't still have an input and I'm not sure how much desire there would be to scrutinise that too much from the IHRB.

    Tbh the vast majority of his ban will be served during the quiet summer months anyway. Missing Cheltenham, Aintree, Punchestown and Galway will hurt him but he'll be back and ready to go for the start of the new season proper. It wouldn't shock me to see a few owners, particularly the likes of Cheveley Park, move horses back to him once they have had their runs at those festivals.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

  31. #690
    @hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ma bit
    Posts
    15,160
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd assume one of his assistants would just send horses to the races under their name. As you say it's unlikely Elliot wouldn't still have an input and I'm not sure how much desire there would be to scrutinise that too much from the IHRB.

    Tbh the vast majority of his ban will be served during the quiet summer months anyway. Missing Cheltenham, Aintree, Punchestown and Galway will hurt him but he'll be back and ready to go for the start of the new season proper. It wouldn't shock me to see a few owners, particularly the likes of Cheveley Park, move horses back to him once they have had their runs at those festivals.
    Will his horses still be allowed to run at those meetings?
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2020 All Rights Reserved
- Mobile Leaderboard (320x50) - Leaderboard (728x90)