hibs.net Messageboard

Page 18 of 38 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ekhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Didn't look as if he stayed, Wichita certainly seemed to outstay him, and the winner came from behind both of them. Not writing off Pinatubo just yet but that was probably his best chance of winning one of the British classics, I'd be amazed if they run him in the Derby. Possibly the Eclipse, but there must be a doubt now about whether he'll stay a mile and a quarter. I don't know if Royal Ascot's taking place this year but that might be the kind of track that suits Pinatubo. Just my opinion though.
    Agree about The Classics, retirement may be looming.

2. Log in to remove the advert

How long has it been since a top class 2yo went on to great things. Air Force Blue and Too Darn Hot were both superb and were so flat as 3yo. Still time for Pinatubo but that’ll be the last time I take one of his ilk for the Guineas again.

Quote Originally Posted by HibernianJK View Post
    How long has it been since a top class 2yo went on to great things. Air Force Blue and Too Darn Hot were both superb and were so flat as 3yo. Still time for Pinatubo but that’ll be the last time I take one of his ilk for the Guineas again.
    Gleneagles is the only semi credible candidate I can think of off the top of my head in the last few years. Even then he tailed off in his 3 year old season. Frankel won the Royal Lodge and the Dewhurst at 2 and trained on well but he's unlikely to be remembered for his 2 year old campaign.

Good winner of the 1000 Guineas, Love is 7/4 for the Oaks. I thought the favourite, Quadrilateral, was too free but definitely looks like she would stay the mile and a half, so still worth keeping an eye on.

@hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar
    Even though there's no crowd, quite enjoying watching some live sport again.

O'Brien had one runner in the race, that should have been a tip in itself. No, I didn't back her.

Quadrilateral looks an Oaks horse, stayed on nicely. The one that caught my eye was Romsey in 5th. 200/1 but stayed nicely, been campaigned at 6f to a mile. I think she could be competitive over a bit further

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Guys, I know it's been said before, but NEVER, NEVER, cash out. If you lose, please take the hit and move on. Lesson well and truly learned today. £5 five race acca, returning £560. I cashed out for just £50 after three races. Fourth horse won, then Siskin went and won the Irish 2000 Guineas. Over £500 down the cludgie because I bottled it. Feels like I've been mugged on the street.
    Last edited by Hibernia&Alba; 12-06-2020 at 07:21 PM.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Siskin was a very good winner there. The Coolmore tactic was quite clearly to box him in and obstruct him the whole way. Keane stayed calm and the turn of foot inside the final furlong when the gap appeared was impressive.

Vatican City was an eye catcher in 2nd, I'll be taking another look at him for the derby.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Siskin was a very good winner there. The Coolmore tactic was quite clearly to box him in and obstruct him the whole way. Keane stayed calm and the turn of foot inside the final furlong when the gap appeared was impressive.

Vatican City was an eye catcher in 2nd, I'll be taking another look at him for the derby.
    Crossfirehurricane was very good in the previous race, a Group 3. Had £20 on him as single, as well as part of the acca, as 5/1 looked good. He was 7/1 by post. Good patient ride, holding him up at the back before letting him go in the last couple of furlongs. Comfortable in the end, he remains unbeaten and could be destined for better. Mythical, as favourite, ran a stinker.
    Last edited by Hibernia&Alba; 12-06-2020 at 07:27 PM.

Siskin's a great wee horse, was really chuffed to see him win. I've never thought he's got the credit he deserves even though he was fav for the race, so now more people will take him seriously.

Start of Royal Ascot today. Good race the first one, won by Circus Maximus.

Two days in a row there's been 1 person waiting on the 7th race to scoop the ITV7 pot. Rollover to £200k for tomorrow. Had the first 4 winners on day 1 but hopeless since then.

Quote Originally Posted by stantonhibby View Post
    Two days in a row there's been 1 person waiting on the 7th race to scoop the ITV7 pot. Rollover to £200k for tomorrow. Had the first 4 winners on day 1 but hopeless since then.
    Aye, I felt for them in the last today, their selection ran on well to finish 2nd. I'm sure whoever it was quite rightly didn't give a **** about Hayley Turner winning it for a 2nd time, unlike the ITV team lol

Aye, I felt for them in the last today, their selection ran on well to finish 2nd. I'm sure whoever it was quite rightly didn't give a **** about Hayley Turner winning it for a 2nd time, unlike the ITV team lol
    You would be completely devastated to lose £150,000 with a second place in the final race. The poor sod, whoever they are, will never get over it. Imagine trying to get any sleep last night after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    You would be completely devastated to lose £150,000 with a second place in the final race. The poor sod, whoever they are, will never get over it. Imagine trying to get any sleep last night after that.
    Not won today either.....£250k tomorrow!

Liam Treadwell, of Mon Mome 100/1 fame, found dead this morning. It reads like he took his own life, 34 years old.

What a tragedy.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Liam Treadwell, of Mon Mome 100/1 fame, found dead this morning. It reads like he took his own life, 34 years old.

What a tragedy.
    Terrible news. Don't think he was ever the same after that bad fall he took. But who knows.

Obviously very tragic news regarding Liam Treadwell. The mental strain placed on jockeys is something that isn't discussed that regularly, probably partly due to the belief that they all make far more than we do. The truth is very different from that, and the pressure placed on them is phenomenal. Treadwell was a good jockey who had some terrible injuries in the course of his short career, but he always managed to come back somehow. R.I.P.

I feel sorry for Tom Marquand who rode the Derby fav English King to 2 victories including a really impressive win in the Lingfield Derby Trial. He's been jocked off and surprise surprise Dettori's been given it. Owner's prerogative I suppose but it still leaves a bit of a sour taste.

I feel sorry for Tom Marquand who rode the Derby fav English King to 2 victories including a really impressive win in the Lingfield Derby Trial. He's been jocked off and surprise surprise Dettori's been given it. Owner's prerogative I suppose but it still leaves a bit of a sour taste.
    Doesn’t sit too well with me especially with how well Marquand has been this year.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    Guys, I know it's been said before, but NEVER, NEVER, cash out. If you lose, please take the hit and move on. Lesson well and truly learned today. £5 five race acca, returning £560. I cashed out for just £50 after three races. Fourth horse won, then Siskin went and won the Irish 2000 Guineas. Over £500 down the cludgie because I bottled it. Feels like I've been mugged on the street.

NEVER NEVER is too sweeping a statement. Cash out is all about timing, change to going, new information learned after the bet is on...a whole list of possibles. It's a valuable tool which I'll admit the bookies love or they wouldn't offer it but used sensibly it's good for the punter too.

Left by mutual consent!
    Good winner of the 1000 Guineas, Love is 7/4 for the Oaks. I thought the favourite, Quadrilateral, was too free but definitely looks like she would stay the mile and a half, so still worth keeping an eye on.
    I'm against Love today on Frankly Darling 66/1 AP

Thoughts on the Derby? It looks a pretty poor running, Jamie Spencer described it as no better than a Group 2 or 3 race.

I'll have a couple of pound on Vatican City who looked quite eye catching in 2nd in the Irish Guineas. It didn't look like the often misleading passing a few tired horses who were going backwards scenario either. He's ran on a couple of times, my gut is he is going to be a 1m2f horse but I can easily see him running into a place today.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Left by mutual consent!
    I agree it doesn't look anything special this year. I'm on Mogul at 12's. Hopeful he will strip a bit fitter than Ascot, but if I wasn't already on I wouldn't have a bet on the Derby today.

Small bet on English King as he looks the most likely to stay. The 2nd in the Lingfield Derby Trial finished 2nd to The Irish Derby winner at Ascot so, the form looks solid enough. I'm trying hard not to get involved with the gee gees but, it's The Derby so, would be rude not to. ☺
    Last edited by HUTCHYHIBBY; 04-07-2020 at 10:21 AM.

Great ride by Emmet McNamara.

Carbon copy of the race before won by William Buick. Get a lead, break the field apart and trust the horse to stay. Huge miscalculation by the other jockeys, particularly those from about 2nd to 6th.

Love was extremely impressive in the Oaks. Just as impressive as she was in the 1000 Guineas. Very good horse. 11/10 was a really good price if you had a bet.

Great ride by Emmet McNamara.

Carbon copy of the race before won by William Buick. Get a lead, break the field apart and trust the horse to stay. Huge miscalculation by the other jockeys, particularly those from about 2nd to 6th.
    Absolutely......you could kind of tell he wasn't coming back to them

Love was extremely impressive in the Oaks. Just as impressive as she was in the 1000 Guineas. Very good horse. 11/10 was a really good price if you had a bet.
    Yeah very impressive.....i backed Frankly Darling but it was well beat

I was on Love, and she was superb. Glad I didn't get involved in The Derby; it was wide open and turned out very like last year's Irish Derby, in that a big priced horse was given a big lead and just kept going. Serpentine was a unique winner, doing it in such a facile way, devoid of any rival. Very strange race.

Whilst I'm unsure if Enable is a gimme tomorrow, I'm definitely going to back her.