hibs.net Messageboard

Page 13 of 38 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Current Champion Hurdler Espoir D'Allen put down after suffering injuries when rearing over in the yard a couple of weeks ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Roaring Lion put down due to complications from colic yesterday as well.

2 good horses lost.
    No way, a few good horses have been lost recently, jumps and flat. I had a winner today in an Irish chase, but one of the field took a terrible fall at the last: one of those head over heels falls where you think "oh no" the moment it happens. I was hoping the stream would stay on long enough to give up an update, which, thankfully, it did: the dreaded screens were across the track, but, then, he got up and walked away. I got far more pleasure from that than my winnings
    Last edited by Hibernia&Alba; 25-08-2019 at 01:08 AM.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

2. Log in to remove the advert

Just watched the 1815 @ The Curragh, Odds on FAV won for O'Brien despite trouble in running, Armory, get your notebook out.
    http://www.racingpost.com/news/class...s-again/396611

Your thoughts for the St Leger, Hutchy?

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    Your thoughts for the St Leger, Hutchy?
    I backed Broome a while ago, it's a much bigger price now. If Logician turns up its hard to see it getting beat. Wouldnae be surprised if another of O'Briens dark horses was to win though.

Did anybody watch the BBC 2 documentary 'Searching For Shergar' last night? The tragic end of a great horse.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0b623r9

Did anybody watch the BBC 2 documentary 'Searching For Shergar' last night? The tragic end of a great horse.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0b623r9
    I watched that last year. It was a good watch.

More than a few people in Ballinamore know what happened and where the remains are.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

I backed Broome a while ago, it's a much bigger price now. If Logician turns up its hard to see it getting beat. Wouldnae be surprised if another of O'Briens dark horses was to win though.
    Broome - n/r

It never ceases to amaze me how you get really curious results at certain courses consistently. The first race at York today underlines that. It's as if the form book just doesn't exist sometimes. York is notorius for daft results as are some other courses such as Chepstow and Redcar.

I hate Chepstow! 😠

St Leger: 20 quid win on Logician at 6/4 and tenner each way on Sir Ron Priestley at 10/1.

St Leger: 20 quid win on Logician at 6/4 and tenner each way on Sir Ron Priestley at 10/1.

Just watched the 1815 @ The Curragh, Odds on FAV won for O'Brien despite trouble in running, Armory, get your notebook out.
    Just finished 2nd to Pinatubo over at Leopardstown, I would imagine the winners performance will send him to the head of the market for next year's Guineas.

Just finished 2nd to Pinatubo over at Leopardstown, I would imagine the winners performance will send him to the head of the market for next year's Guineas.
    Just posted the same in the Bookie Bashing thread, Hutchy. What a performance that was, to win by that margin over 7f against some good opposition. Pinatubo already as short at 6/4 for the Guineas! Appleby said he might go for the Dewhurst so watch this space.

The filly wins the Irish St Ledger. I was on Kew Gardens, who finished like a train, but Ryan Moore produced him too late. Pish ride

Can anyone see Enable being beaten in the Arc?

I'm thinking of an Enable (Arc), Pinatubo (Dewhurst) and Stradivarius (Long Distance Cup) treble next month. What do you all think?

Can anyone see Enable being beaten in the Arc?

I'm thinking of an Enable (Arc), Pinatubo (Dewhurst) and Stradivarius (Long Distance Cup) treble next month. What do you all think?
    For me Japan and Sottsass are the only realistic challengers to Enable. I don't know why the tv pundits keep going on about Magical, it's been beaten by Enable every time they've raced each other. I would have strongly fancied Sea of Class to beat Enable this year but sadly that's not to be.

I think you'll be safe with your treble, but you'll probably need to put big bucks on, they'll all be short.Interesting to hear what price you get for it.

Quote Originally Posted by ekhibee View Post
    I think you'll be safe with your treble, but you'll probably need to put big bucks on, they'll all be short.Interesting to hear what price you get for it.
    That's my thinking too.

For me Japan and Sottsass are the only realistic challengers to Enable. I don't know why the tv pundits keep going on about Magical, it's been beaten by Enable every time they've raced each other. I would have strongly fancied Sea of Class to beat Enable this year but sadly that's not to be.

That's my thinking too.
    You're both right. When I did the Enable/Stradivarius double a couple of months ago, I put on £200 at 2/1, which is a huge bet for me

For the treble mentioned above, 5/2ish. £200 returns £702. What do you think? You only live wance

You're both right. When I did the Enable/Stradivarius double a couple of months ago, I put on £200 at 2/1, which is a huge bet for me

For the treble mentioned above, 5/2ish. £200 returns £702. What do you think? You only live wance
    5/2, on the face of it would be excellent, people would be daft to back against any of those 3. The only slight concern I would have is the form of the Gosden horses at the moment, quite a few well fancied and turned over recently (I know cos I backed them!). That said, when it comes to the big races, IMO there's no better or more knowledgeable trainer than John Gosden. Best of luck, but I don't think you'll need it!

5/2, on the face of it would be excellent, people would be daft to back against any of those 3. The only slight concern I would have is the form of the Gosden horses at the moment, quite a few well fancied and turned over recently (I know cos I backed them!). That said, when it comes to the big races, IMO there's no better or more knowledgeable trainer than John Gosden. Best of luck, but I don't think you'll need it!
    Wasn't to be for the great Enable, but what an effort. She has such courage, in addition to natural ability. One of the all time greats surely.

I think the very soft ground did for her in the final furlong, so I want to check the ground before going large on Pinatubo/Stradivarius double. Going to leave it until Friday night, even if that means the prices shorten.

Just wondered what folk thought of Pinatubo's run at Newmarket today. Eventually he won by approx. length and a half. The commentators were bumming up the winner, saying it was emphatic. It wasn't, but he still won and it's a good habit to have. Not convinced Arizona's anything special and he was 2nd. On that, and purely on that race, I'd want to take Pinatubo on pricewise when the 2000 Guineas comes along. On saying that, Pinatubo's won 6 races and it's hard to critisize any horse that's done that. He reminds me of Johannesberg who was the champion 2yr old and won at the Breeders Cup too. Never trained on though. It'll be interesting to see how Pinatubo gets on next season.

By the way that guy Steve Mellish on Attheraces doesnae half talk a lot of pish.

Just wondered what folk thought of Pinatubo's run at Newmarket today. Eventually he won by approx. length and a half. The commentators were bumming up the winner, saying it was emphatic. It wasn't, but he still won and it's a good habit to have. Not convinced Arizona's anything special and he was 2nd. On that, and purely on that race, I'd want to take Pinatubo on pricewise when the 2000 Guineas comes along. On saying that, Pinatubo's won 6 races and it's hard to critisize any horse that's done that. He reminds me of Johannesberg who was the champion 2yr old and won at the Breeders Cup too. Never trained on though. It'll be interesting to see how Pinatubo gets on next season.

By the way that guy Steve Mellish on Attheraces doesnae half talk a lot of pish.
    It's a tricky one, looked like he was hating the ground and did all his best work in the final half furlong. If it had been a mile race the victory would have been more emphatic.

After what happened with Too Darn Hot at the start of this season I wouldn't be desperate to back Pinatubo for The Guineas at the moment although if I was being forced to have a bet I wouldn't back anything else. I think there's more to come from Armory, whether he can bridge the gap or not is another matter though.
    Last edited by HUTCHYHIBBY; 12-10-2019 at 09:45 PM.

It's a tricky one, looked like he was hating the ground and did all his best work in the final half furlong. If it had been a mile race the victory would have been more emphatic.

After what happened with Too Darn Hot at the start of this season I wouldn't be desperate to back Pinatubo for The Guineas at the moment although if I was being forced to have a bet I wouldn't back anything else. I think there's more to come from Armory, whether he can bridge the gap or not is another matter though.
    Aye, it wasn't his ground at all, but he was pulling away at the finish. Like you say, sometimes a sensational two year old doesn't take the expected step up for whatever reason, as happened with Too Darn Hot. Other horses can develop better. Pinatubo might become a superstar, but only time will tell.

Aye, it wasn't his ground at all, but he was pulling away at the finish. Like you say, sometimes a sensational two year old doesn't take the expected step up for whatever reason, as happened with Too Darn Hot. Other horses can develop better. Pinatubo might become a superstar, but only time will tell.
    Yup, that's what I was meaning when I compared him with Johannesberg, the O'Brien colt from a few years back who was unbeaten as a 2 year old winning 7 races including 4 Group 1's. He won the Prix Morny and the Breeders Cup Juvenile amongst them, and got the Cartier Award for 2 year old champion colt. A brilliant 2 year old that never trained on. 3 runs as a 3 year old, all lack lustre and then he was retired. I hope Pinatubo doesn't end up that way, he's been so impressive this season.

Yup, that's what I was meaning when I compared him with Johannesberg, the O'Brien colt from a few years back who was unbeaten as a 2 year old winning 7 races including 4 Group 1's. He won the Prix Morny and the Breeders Cup Juvenile amongst them, and got the Cartier Award for 2 year old champion colt. A brilliant 2 year old that never trained on. 3 runs as a 3 year old, all lack lustre and then he was retired. I hope Pinatubo doesn't end up that way, he's been so impressive this season.
    Yes, Pinatubo looks the real deal. It would be great to see him improve again for the Classics next year.

Reminds me of air force blue. Won the dewhurst in superb style didn't train on. Witchita is the one I'd back for the guineas. A huge horse who will be much better as a three year old. Armory looks like anythony van dyck and lacks the pace to win the guineas but wouldn't surprise me if he turns out to be O'Brien's derby horse. Pinatubo looks like the finished article now and he may win the guineas but I think a couple will improve past him. Jason weaver seemed very doubtful hell train on and he's usually a good judge. Btw surely the dewhurst needs moving back a few weeks as that was jumping ground.

Enable to stay in training for next season.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Enable to stay in training for next season.
    I really thought we'd seen her for the last time. It will be interesting to see what's planned for her.

Armoury beaten 20 lengths at Longchamp in a match race, not sure they're doing it too many favours running on bottomless ground.

First ever British Group 1 race to be held on the all weather is at Newcastle tomorrow in the 18.00.