hibs.net Messageboard

Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 29373839
Results 1,141 to 1,157 of 1157
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wondering why the National is on at 4 tomorrow as sure i had seen it scheduled for 515 maybe was looking at last season resullt.

Quite like the look of Panda Boy and Kitty Light.
    They brought the time back forward as part of the safety review after last years race. Apparently an earlier start is more likely to give decent ground.

The traditional time was always 3.45 but it was moved a few years back so it started after the 3pm football finished.

I really like Mahler Mission. He was tanking along in the National Hunt Chase at Cheltenham last year and looked every inch the winner until he fell 2 out, a good 2nd at Newbury in December when he lost both his front shoes and he goes on soft. Also going to have an EW on Foxy Jack's for Mouse Morris who I reckon will give a run for my money. Finally Meetingofthewaters who I backed in the Ultima at Cheltenham were he ran a creditable 3rd and again likes heavy and looks to be crying out for a marathon trip. Only worry is he is a bit of a nervy sort so may not take to the crowd.
    Last edited by Pretty Boy; 12-04-2024 at 08:16 AM.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    They brought the time back forward as part of the safety review after last years race. Apparently an earlier start is more likely to give decent ground.

The traditional time was always 3.45 but it was moved a few years back so it started after the 3pm football finished.

I really like Mahler Mission. He was tanking along in the National Hunt Chase at Cheltenham last year and looked every inch the winner until he fell 2 out, a good 2nd at Newbury in December when he lost both his front shoes and he goes on soft. Also going to have an EW on Foxy Jack's for Mouse Morris who I reckon will give a run for my money. Finally Meetingofthewaters who I backed in the Ultima at Cheltenham were he ran a creditable 3rd and again likes heavy and looks to be crying out for a marathon trip. Only worry is he is a bit of a nervy sort so may not take to the crowd.
    Fair enough good summary tend to go for horses under 11 stone but so many chances and likely Mullins will end up favourite. Think Corach Rambler will run well though got to think weight and gold cup will affect though possible each way and did win at Cheltenham last year.

I backed I am Maximus for the race a couple of weeks ago, I backed Mr Incredible when he was going well until his saddle slipped and unseated the rider in last year's race, wouldn't be surprised to see him put in a decent run tomorrow following his 2nd in The Midlands National.
    Last edited by HUTCHYHIBBY; 13-04-2024 at 11:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    I backed I am Maximus for the race a couple of weeks ago.
    That'll do. 🍺

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Meetingofthewaters e/w - must have missed out on 6th by a whisker.

Ironically looking for the result and 6th pops up with "aint that a shame" ... yes it is actually.
    Mon the Hibs.

Thought that was a really good race today.

Upwards of 10 horses still in with a chance 3 out is almost unheard of. The standing start definitely made sure they used a wider range on the course which meant less horses being brought down by fallers or unseaters. The reduced field also created space as well.

The race has changed and it's not the challenge it was. A few of those horses piling through the top of the fences would have been found out by the old solid wood cores and stiff birch and Beechers and Valentines are a shadow of what they were. The world changes though and if we want the race to continue at all then there has to be compromise and adaptation.

That was good spectacle today and a good advert for steeplechasing imo.

Upwards of 10 horses still in with a chance 3 out is almost unheard of. The standing start definitely made sure they used a wider range on the course which meant less horses being brought down by fallers or unseaters. The reduced field also created space as well.

The race has changed and it's not the challenge it was. A few of those horses piling through the top of the fences would have been found out by the old solid wood cores and stiff birch and Beechers and Valentines are a shadow of what they were. The world changes though and if we want the race to continue at all then there has to be compromise and adaptation.

No fallers really sums up the way that the fences have changed, much better quality of horses obviously helps too.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Had Delta Work, pretty gutted about that mistake he made on the 1st circuit, went like a dream otherwise and it cost him the race.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    Had Delta Work, pretty gutted about that mistake he made on the 1st circuit, went like a dream otherwise and it cost him the race.
    I dunno about costing him the race on the first circuit. Delta Work ran an absolute cracker and was ultimately well beat by the best horse on the day. Very rare for any horse to go the whole way round the national without some sort of trouble to overcome. Hard to think that after recovering fine and running a stormer to finish where he did, that a different 1sr circuit would have seen him beat IAM.

But then what do I know.. my interest in the race was over after about 5 seconds 😂

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    I put £2.50 e/w on glengouly at 100/1. I knew he had no chance and I've fallen foul before of an outsider breaking away (even more so than on saturday) only to then show why they were priced so long when they tire... was still exciting at the time, probably the horse who led the race for the longest time.
    Mon the Hibs.

I backed I am Maximus for the race a couple of weeks ago, I backed Mr Incredible when he was going well until his saddle slipped and unseated the rider in last year's race, wouldn't be surprised to see him put in a decent run tomorrow following his 2nd in The Midlands National.
    Well done won impressively. Glad it won as wife had the second and due to her having it each way now thinks she is a professional tipster and unbearable. Can’t imagine what she would be like if she had won. 😂

Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    I put £2.50 e/w on glengouly at 100/1. I knew he had no chance and I've fallen foul before of an outsider breaking away (even more so than on saturday) only to then show why they were priced so long when they tire... was still exciting at the time, probably the horse who led the race for the longest time.
    Yeah ran well for a long way.

Yes was a good race and handicapper would have been smiling with so many having a chance at final bend. Bit of a shame Corach rambler unseated would have been interesting to see how it would have got on.

No fallers really sums up the way that the fences have changed, much better quality of horses obviously helps too.
    Was there not a couple of fallers at the chair?

Apparently they were all unseats. Though think I read one horse fell, after it was already unseated. So technically, in form terms, no fallers.

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    Apparently they were all unseats. Though think I read one horse fell, after it was already unseated. So technically, in form terms, no fallers.
    Corach Rambler took a really nasty tumble at the second fence after his unseating at the first. It looked bad on TV and he stayed down for a few seconds. Lucinda Russell reported he had been a wee bit winded but was checked over and cleared to return home.

Mac Tottie was also dismounted quickly after being pulled up and had to be loaded into the horse ambulance. Again trainer confirmed he was checked over and cleared to go home that night.
    Last edited by Pretty Boy; 15-04-2024 at 06:12 PM.

Mahler Mission, who I backed and thought was just starting to move quite nicely into the race after some poor jumping early on, made a really bad mistake and jerked badly right but kept his feet. He hampered Mr incredible, who my laddie backed, who also unseated.

A great fence for us.......