hibs.net Messageboard

Page 15 of 38 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's in bold, Hutchy - Envoi Allen
    Not on the thread I'm looking at, time and date of post?

I backed that in the Cheltenham Bumper though.
    Last edited by HUTCHYHIBBY; 08-11-2019 at 07:58 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Nothing is certain, we've seen both Enable and Stradivarius beaten in recent weeks, which cost me a pretty penny. Hopefully the great chaser won't make it a hat-trick of upsets.
    Its got a decent chance and could harden slightly in price closer to the off and I think you were right to take 5/2 as even if it does go out it wouldn't be by much. Anything can happen in jump racing though as we've all seen before but you've taken a punt and here's hoping it wins for you.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankhfc View Post
    Its got a decent chance and could harden slightly in price closer to the off and I think you were right to take 5/2 as even if it does go out it wouldn't be by much. Anything can happen in jump racing though as we've all seen before but you've taken a punt and here's hoping it wins for you.
    Cheers, let's hope he runs his usual great race.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Not next year, but I put 100 on Altior for the Boxing Day King George at 5/2.
    Hope it wins for you but, 6f further than its ever raced over in its entire career.

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    Hope it wins for you but, 6f further than its ever raced over in its entire career.
    Cheers Hutchy. Yes, he's up in trip, but he really looked like he was ready to step up last season. I think he'll be fine; time will tell.

Douvan won nicely today after his long absence. Beat a couple of nice horses.

Be interesting to see what he has left up in trip.

Hibernian Warrior 12.25 @ Lingfield 13/8
    Not a tip just the name 😉

2nd
    Last edited by trev the hat; 16-11-2019 at 01:05 PM.

So Altior v Cyrname at Ascot on Saturday. Who wins?
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    So Altior v Cyrname at Ascot on Saturday. Who wins?
    Altior for me. He looked ripe for the step up in trip at the end of last season and should be fine. There's always that element of risk in these situations, but I doubt Henderson would have stepped him up unless he had full confidence in Altior's ability to make it. I say this with fingers crossed, as I've already put a hundred on Altior to win the king George .

A few recalculations going on in the Henderson camp I think. Altior didn't stand out as a stayer there.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Left by mutual consent!
    Good run race there taken by Lost in Translation beating the excellent Bristol De Mai into second. Great finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankhfc View Post
    Good run race there taken by Lost in Translation beating the excellent Bristol De Mai into second. Great finish.
    It will be interesting to see how he is campaigned now. He stayed on nicely there but both his wins at 3 miles or above have been on flat tracks (Aintree and Haydock). He didn't find a lot in the JLT at Cheltenham last season. That was a well run 2 and a half miles though and he plugged along at the end without quickening. Maybe a stiff 3+ round Cheltenham will suit.

You have to think they will be tempted to go for the bonus now.

A few recalculations going on in the Henderson camp I think. Altior didn't stand out as a stayer there.
    I watched it on my phone in the pub before the game. I'm gutted for Altior, losing his unbeaten record over jumps. It was a longer trip and very heavy ground, and perhaps those two factors together, plus a very good opponent, were too much for him on the day. As always he gave everything he had and was exhausted at the end, but Cyrname was a worthy winner and he looks to have an exciting future. Altior will bounce back, his talent will make sure of that. It will be interesting to see whether he is kept in the King George or if Henderson takes a different route.

I watched it on my phone in the pub before the game. I'm gutted for Altior, losing his unbeaten record over jumps. It was a longer trip and very heavy ground, and perhaps those two factors together, plus a very good opponent, were too much for him on the day. As always he gave everything he had and was exhausted at the end, but Cyrname was a worthy winner and he looks to have an exciting future. Altior will bounce back, his talent will make sure of that. It will be interesting to see whether he is kept in the King George or if Henderson takes a different route.
    I've watched it again and I'm not sure what to make of it. My first reaction was he was outstayed but watching again I'm not so sure. I think he just ran into a good horse running at his optimal distance. He was still plugging on, whilst definitely not quickening, at the end, so they may still fancy a go at the King George. If that doesn't go to plan then the Champion Chase isn't going anywhere.

I've watched it again and I'm not sure what to make of it. My first reaction was he was outstayed but watching again I'm not so sure. I think he just ran into a good horse running at his optimal distance. He was still plugging on, whilst definitely not quickening, at the end, so they may still fancy a go at the King George. If that doesn't go to plan then the Champion Chase isn't going anywhere.
    Aye, I think it may have been the combination of ground, trip and opponent which overwhelmed him. Remove any one or two of those factors and he probably would have come through. He looked like a great champion finally vanquished afterwards: physically exhausted and morale broken, head down, knowing he'd finally been beaten. He'll be back in one way or another and I'm sure will put it right.

Aye, I think it may have been the combination of ground, trip and opponent which overwhelmed him. Remove any one or two of those factors and he probably would have come through. He looked like a great champion finally vanquished afterwards: physically exhausted and morale broken, head down, knowing he'd finally been beaten. He'll be back in one way or another and I'm sure will put it right.
    I often wonder how much of an impact confidence has on horses. They are naturally hierarchical animals and I think getting beat does impact them. I always think of Thistlecrack who was absolutely broken by Many Clouds when they eyeballed each other at Cheltenham. Of course Clouds paid the ultimate price that day but he just outbattled his opponent and Thistlecrack was never the same horse after that even allowing for the injury he suffered.

I often wonder how much of an impact confidence has on horses. They are naturally hierarchical animals and I think getting beat does impact them. I always think of Thistlecrack who was absolutely broken by Many Clouds when they eyeballed each other at Cheltenham. Of course Clouds paid the ultimate price that day but he just outbattled his opponent and Thistlecrack was never the same horse after that even allowing for the injury he suffered.
    It's an interesting phenomenon; they seem to know when they have won or lost a race, and I don't think that's just a sentimental human perspective. Altior seemed to know another horse had crossed the finish line before him as he trudged away with head scraping the turf. I watched a You Tube documentary about Arkle a few months back, and the trainer and jockey of the great Mill House were adamant he was never the same after Arkle had beaten him and was psychologically beaten when the two next met.
    Last edited by Hibernia&Alba; 23-11-2019 at 07:28 PM.

Although I can see where you're coming from, I'm sure you would agree that isn't always the case, just sometimes. If that were the case it would be pointless backing any horse that had been beaten by another horse if they raced again. Imperial Commander got beaten in a really close finish by Kauto Star at Haydock but still beat him in the Gold Cup, on the flat Giants Causeway was notorius for fighting to the very end of the race when ever a horse got close to him (eyeballed), so in the QE2 Gosden made sure the horse he fielded against him Observatory kept wide of Giants Causeway towards the end of the race and won it by half a length.

The race between Altior and Cyrname was great to watch, but it seemed to be more a case of Altior just not quite staying the distance. Saying that, Cyrname had put up an excellent performance previous to that when beating Waiting Patiently by 17 lengths at the same course. That was vastly immproved form on anything he'd done before that in terms of opposition, so we'll see how he performs in the King George.

Left by mutual consent!
    It will be interesting to see how he is campaigned now. He stayed on nicely there but both his wins at 3 miles or above have been on flat tracks (Aintree and Haydock). He didn't find a lot in the JLT at Cheltenham last season. That was a well run 2 and a half miles though and he plugged along at the end without quickening. Maybe a stiff 3+ round Cheltenham will suit.

You have to think they will be tempted to go for the bonus now.
    I only caught the final half of the race and it was a cracking finish but I got the impression that there was more to come from Bristol De Mai than Lostintranslation. I felt that Lostintranslation was just about all out at the finish whereas Bristol De Mai could have kept at if for a good deal longer. Interesting race.

Quote Originally Posted by ekhibee View Post
    Although I can see where you're coming from, I'm sure you would agree that isn't always the case, just sometimes. If that were the case it would be pointless backing any horse that had been beaten by another horse if they raced again. Imperial Commander got beaten in a really close finish by Kauto Star at Haydock but still beat him in the Gold Cup, on the flat Giants Causeway was notorius for fighting to the very end of the race when ever a horse got close to him (eyeballed), so in the QE2 Gosden made sure the horse he fielded against him Observatory kept wide of Giants Causeway towards the end of the race and won it by half a length.

The race between Altior and Cyrname was great to watch, but it seemed to be more a case of Altior just not quite staying the distance. Saying that, Cyrname had put up an excellent performance previous to that when beating Waiting Patiently by 17 lengths at the same course. That was vastly immproved form on anything he'd done before that in terms of opposition, so we'll see how he performs in the King George.
    Yeah of course it's only one factor and probably down the list when compared to ground, luck in running, distance and a range of other things. I do think it plays a part in a horses character though. The good ones tend to know they are good.

On a totally different topic I see Donnacha O'brien has announced his retirement from riding at 21 to begin a training career. Like his brother he's very tall for a flat jockey and I can only assume the battle with the weight has got too much for him.

Yeah of course it's only one factor and probably down the list when compared to ground, luck in running, distance and a range of other things. I do think it plays a part in a horses character though. The good ones tend to know they are good.

On a totally different topic I see Donnacha O'brien has announced his retirement from riding at 21 to begin a training career. Like his brother he's very tall for a flat jockey and I can only assume the battle with the weight has got too much for him.
    Wow, I guess that must be the reason, he's not been riding that many years (good jockey though). Joseph's already made a good start to his training career, no doubt Donnacha will do the same. But I totally understand why you prefer NH, nowadays on the flat pretty well all you can bet on is handicaps, most of the group races are monopolized by Coolmore and Godolphin. Obviously that's not the only reason, but the NH is a hell of a lot more competitive, the prices are better most of the time, and it's a better atmosphere. That's my take on it anyway.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibs1972 View Post
    I have to say after watching it’s 1st run over hurdles last weekend I’m feeling quite happy that after last seasons festival I’ve had 27 £5 free bets on at at Skybet on him to win “any race” at next years big meeting.10-1 8-1 and mostly at 6’s,in my opinion it would be a shoe in for the Ballymore but at this stage seems happy to stick to 2m,anyone got any fancy ante post slips on for next year yet?
    Long way to go until Cheltenham yet but my boy is looking good at the moment,fingers crossed he stays in one piece! Whatever race they opt for in the end I can see him scaring a lot of good horses away on the day. Bring it on!!

Couple of very early Grand National pointers today.

Walk In The Mill winning the Becher Chase well whilst Native River looked very good in the Many Clouds Chase. Jumped like a stag from the front and was relentless. Not sure what the official distance was but 'half the track' should cover it.

Sad news for me, an old favourite of mine, Houblon Des Obeaux suffered a heart attack in the veterans race at Sandown which lead to the race being declared void. RIP old boy.

Can’t explain how much I’ve been waiting for Native River to run in the national, since he ran a blinder in the NH chase at Cheltenham at 5 or 6. I’m praying this is the year.

Also big shout out to Top Notch, a great horse and won on Sunday a fair bit more comfy than the end result states.

King George in a fortnight, what are we thinking?

I'm going to be a Lostintraslation man, jumps well, stamina guaranteed, can see him passing Cyrname on the run in. The softer the ground the more confident I'll become, although that could bring Native River into it.

I'm going to be a Lostintraslation man, jumps well, stamina guaranteed, can see him passing Cyrname on the run in. The softer the ground the more confident I'll become, although that could bring Native River into it.
    I'm sticking with Altior. He's out to 7/1 now, but with that first run over the longer distance under his belt, I'm taking him to improve, particularly if it's better ground than when Cyrname beat him. A great champion responds to defeat.

I'm sticking with Altior. He's out to 7/1 now, but with that first run over the longer distance under his belt, I'm taking him to improve, particularly if it's better ground than when Cyrname beat him. A great champion responds to defeat.
    I'm not convinced we'll see Altior on Boxing Day. Since 2002 14/17 winners had won a chase over 3m before.

Just noticed Native River isn't amongst the Decs so, that won't be happening!