hibs.net Messageboard

Page 12 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sad to read that Blue Point has been retired to stud, some horse.
    Yes, superb sprint double at Ascot then he's off. I guess that's just the way it goes with the best flat horses: you just don't get to see much of them as it's a brief career.
    Last edited by Hibernia&Alba; 27-06-2019 at 06:11 PM.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

2. Log in to remove the advert

Just watched the 1815 @ The Curragh, Odds on FAV won for O'Brien despite trouble in running, Armory, get your notebook out.

Irish Derby tomorrow, with only eight runners. Can Anthony Van Dyck complete the double? He's the current favourite in the betting. It's also the Northumberland Plate at Newcastle. Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    She's currently 11/4 with Betfair, which I think I will take, in the hope she is just as strong as last year. I'd like to take Anthony Van Dyke each way, given I backed him in the Derby and previously, but I think 1m 2f might be too short a trip for him at this level.
    I backed Crystal Ocean, now a non runner, ouch! 😡

I backed Crystal Ocean, now a non runner, ouch! ��
    Aye. Enable now at around evens; I'm glad I went on earlier.

RIP big John McCririck. Mad as a box of frogs, but a TV legend.

Aye. Enable now at around evens; I'm glad I went on earlier.
    There's every chance she'll win, 1992 was the last time a filly won the race though.

There's every chance she'll win, 1992 was the last time a filly won the race though.
    I got on at 7/2, thanks to your info at the time . The only question, I think, is the long lay off. Some of the others are more race fit. If she's as good as last year, she can win it.

Anyway, I have £50 on 7/2. Fingers crossed.

I got on at 7/2, thanks to your info at the time . The only question, I think, is the long lay off. Some of the others are more race fit. If she's as good as last year, she can win it.

Anyway, I have £50 on 7/2. Fingers crossed.
    Aye, it was a very decent bet at that price.

RIP big John McCririck. Mad as a box of frogs, but a TV legend.
    Thoroughly offensive person.

I never knew where John McCirick the character ended and the person began.

For years I despaired when he was wheeled out as the 'voice of racing' when the annual Grand National debate occured. He was usually a sole voice against 4 or 5 anti racing people and he never did his cause any favours. Of all the articulate and educated people in the industry I always thought it was very deliberate the media chose someone who was so easily objectionable to present the sports case. In recent years he even flip flopped and started arguing the National should be banned. I can't help but think that points to someone who just wanted to be heard and it didn't matter what he said as long as someone listened.

Whatever his 'failings' as a person he was iconic within racing and beyond. Everyone knew who he was and I'm sure he will be missed by many.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I never knew where John McCirick the character ended and the person began.

For years I despaired when he was wheeled out as the 'voice of racing' when the annual Grand National debate occured. He was usually a sole voice against 4 or 5 anti racing people and he never did his cause any favours. Of all the articulate and educated people in the industry I always thought it was very deliberate the media chose someone who was so easily objectionable to present the sports case. In recent years he even flip flopped and started arguing the National should be banned. I can't help but think that points to someone who just wanted to be heard and it didn't matter what he said as long as someone listened.

Whatever his 'failings' as a person he was iconic within racing and beyond.
    Everyone knew who he was and I'm sure he will be missed by many.
    I must agree, PB. When I was a kid, he was the face of racing, whilst Peter O'Sullivan was the voice. He was nuts, but, even from childhood, I understood he was someone not to take seriously beyond the racecourse. He had to be taken in context, and he knew racing inside out. Not someone I would want as a close friend, but he breathed the sport. I've have nothing in common with him off the racecourse, but I'm sure he isn't unique in that!
    Last edited by Hibernia&Alba; 05-07-2019 at 09:38 PM.

Great horse Enable, now has the Eclipse to add to her CV. I do think it was a sub-standard Eclipse, the only other good horse in the race was Magical who she'd already beaten a few times, but you can only beat the horses you're racing against.

Quote Originally Posted by ekhibee View Post
    Great horse Enable, now has the Eclipse to add to her CV. I do think it was a sub-standard Eclipse, the only other good horse in the race was Magical who she'd already beaten a few times, but you can only beat the horses you're racing against.
    And is only around 85 per cent race fit. Incredible really. She should be stronger in the King George.

And is only around 85 per cent race fit. Incredible really. She should be stronger in the King George.
    First race back over a shorter than ideal distance and Frankie didn't even go for the whip which would indicate she won with something in hand.

Fair point, but I suppose it comes down to how people rate Magical really, is she the 'best of the rest'? I see that Sea of Class has been immediately retired because of colic, that horse shouldv'e won the Arc last year IMO. Just hope that the horse survives, colic is serious.

Fair point, but I suppose it comes down to how people rate Magical really, is she the 'best of the rest'? I see that Sea of Class has been immediately retired because of colic, that horse shouldv'e won the Arc last year IMO. Just hope that the horse survives, colic is serious.
    Indeed, she is in intensive care. Fingers crossed she pulls through and becomes an excellent brood mare.

What's the oldest horse anyone has seen race? In the first race at Southwell tonight, sixteen year old See Double You came second in a chase. The winner won by twenty lengths, but that's still a fine effort for such an old boy, and I've never seen a sixteen year old before. Can anyone beat that?

What's the oldest horse anyone has seen race? In the first race at Southwell tonight, sixteen year old See Double You came second in a chase. The winner won by twenty lengths, but that's still a fine effort for such an old boy, and I've never seen a sixteen year old before. Can anyone beat that?
    I saw Megalala on the flat at Kempton when he was 15, he was retired the following year at 16.

I also saw The Tatling at Bath. He was 14 and retired later that year, bowing out with a win at Wolverhampton. His last trainer, Milton Bradley, said he tried to retire him several times but the horse was just having none of it and used to kick the door of his stable when the vans were being loaded to go racing or the lots went out to the gallops without him.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Sadly Sea of Class lost her battle with colic and died today. It's very sad, she was a brilliant racehorse in her day and I would have loved to see her taking on Enable again. RIP Sea of Class.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    On a separate note Matt Chapman is doing his best to outdo McCririck for being an attention-seeking clown and spoiling TV racing coverage. It's bad enough that this tw@t is on Sky but on ITV as well? I end up missing races because I have to switch over to avoid the eejit.

Sadly Sea of Class lost her battle with colic and died today. It's very sad, she was a brilliant racehorse in her day and I would have loved to see her taking on Enable again. RIP Sea of Class.
    That is sad news.

The old boy, See Double You, is running in a three mile chase at Roscommon tomorrow. Currently in great nick, he's 2/1F just now. I'm going to put a wee bet on him, just to give him moral support. Sixteen years old, he should be putting his hoofs up now.

Too Darn Hot the latest top horse to be retired due to injury, shame.

Too Darn Hot the latest top horse to be retired due to injury, shame.
    That is a shame; he looked to be back on an upward curve. At least he'll make a recovery and go to stud.

The old boy, See Double You, is running in a three mile chase at Roscommon tomorrow. Currently in great nick, he's 2/1F just now. I'm going to put a wee bet on him, just to give him moral support. Sixteen years old, he should be putting his hoofs up now.
    He only came fifth. He's given his all; time to let the old boy enjoy his well earned retirement.

In other news, I see Enable is already 1/5 for the Yorkshire Oaks later this month. I was hoping for a bit better value than that, though, without Crystal Ocean there to at least give her a race, it looks a formality.

Current Champion Hurdler Espoir D'Allen put down after suffering injuries when rearing over in the yard a couple of weeks ago.

Current Champion Hurdler Espoir D'Allen put down after suffering injuries when rearing over in the yard a couple of weeks ago.
    Roaring Lion put down due to complications from colic yesterday as well.

2 good horses lost.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Roaring Lion put down due to complications from colic yesterday as well.

2 good horses lost.
    Don't know how I missed that, one of my recent favourites. 😢