hibs.net Messageboard

Page 22 of 38 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Just watched the bumper at Leopardstown, where Reality Cheque was 4/7 and cruising when sent on to win it in the last couple of furlongs, only to seemingly shatter a leg and fall, in what was only his second race. Breaks my heart to see it; it looked fatal.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Altior isn't a 2 miler anymore.

It's happened before to horses, think Master Minded, and it will happen again. They just lose that turn off foot that is so vital over 2 miles. He's not got the same steady, high cruising Speed the likes of Sprinter Sacre had; he's always had a flat spot in him.

Time to try upping the distance again I think.
    Yes, he's nearly eleven now. Two milers at Grade 1 is a massive ask.

Cheltenham off on Friday, a tad disappointing.

Great front running performance from Frodon/Frost, but watching Nicholls' interview after the race he was surely taking the piss when he said Frodon was now a Gold Cup contender, he's been shown up before in that level of quality on numerous occasions, but that's just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by ekhibee View Post
    Great front running performance from Frodon/Frost, but watching Nicholls' interview after the race he was surely taking the piss when he said Frodon was now a Gold Cup contender, he's been shown up before in that level of quality on numerous occasions, but that's just my opinion.
    It's not like Nicholls to be obtuse during his interviews, perhaps the horse has improved, certainly deserved the win at Kempton. Highly unlikely to beat Al Boum Photo right enough.

I'd be very surprised if Frodon won a GC. It was hardly a vintage renewal at Kempton.

Equally though the Gold Cup field doesn't look particularly strong. We learned nothing about Al Boum Photo yesterday, he won a race by 19L that he should have been winning by about that margin. I'm not convinced he is unbeatable but picking a horse to do it from the current crop isn't easy. A Plus Tard was a good winner of the Savills Chase and has run well round Cheltenham before but he's essentially unproven as a true stayer, Kemboy was a good 2nd in that race but again I'm not sure he's a GC winner in waiting, he's had his chance and history is against him. Who makes up the field Santini, Champ, Delta Work, Benie Des Deaux, Lostintranslation, Presenting Percy, Bristol De Mai, Native River...... I'm not seeing many superstars in that list. Santini seems the most likely as his Kempton run can be all but forgotten about.

If he gets a lead and the race starts to fall apart then I suppose Frodon could nick it. I'd want more then 16s to bet on it though.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

In other news it was brilliant to see 13 year old Seeyouatmidnight win the veterans chase at Sandown today. What a horse he has been for Sandy Thomson.

There's a bit of what could have been with him as injuries blighted his career but coming back from nearly 2 years off with 2 wins from 4 races is good going. Won the Dipper at Cheltenham, 3rd in a Scottish National, turned over Bristol De Mai in a match race and completed a Grand National despite being out injured for a year in the lead up.

It's always good to see a horse from Scotland or the North make the trip south and pick up a big prize.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

In other news it was brilliant to see 13 year old Seeyouatmidnight win the veterans chase at Sandown today. What a horse he has been for Sandy Thomson.

There's a bit of what could have been with him as injuries blighted his career but coming back from nearly 2 years off with 2 wins from 4 races is good going. Won the Dipper at Cheltenham, 3rd in a Scottish National, turned over Bristol De Mai in a match race and completed a Grand National despite being out injured for a year in the lead up.

It's always good to see a horse from Scotland or the North make the trip south and pick up a big prize.
    I agree, my old man backed the 2nd EW and was slightly less complimentary.

I got a price boost double on Betfair on Ibleo and Metier that I managed to put on twice by mistake which was nice.

Won a right few quid on the Saturday night football games too although some mob from down the bottom of the street stopped it from being even better.

I backed Out on the tear at Catterick a couple of weeks ago. Runs again at Catterick tomorrow over 4f longer. If it stays it wins, 2s on Betfair just now.

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    I backed Out on the tear at Catterick a couple of weeks ago. Runs again at Catterick tomorrow over 4f longer. If it stays it wins, 2s on Betfair just now.
    2nd, Failed to stay as well as the winner.

Has anyone already put their early Cheltenham bets on?

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    Has anyone already put their early Cheltenham bets on?
    If you fancy a British horse back it now before The Irish are told their horses can't travel over.

Quite fancy Metier if it's soft ground.
    Last edited by HUTCHYHIBBY; 11-01-2021 at 10:04 PM.

Shishkin in the Arkle. Got a few bets on him at various prices and if the current 5/6 holds I might have a bit more yet.

Stuck a few quid on Melon for the Ryanair as well. Ran well in the Saville Chase and he goes fairly well at Cheltenham.

I see Khalid Abdullah has died.

I know he was talking about winding down the Juddmonte operation a few years back, I wonder if this will see an acceleration of that happening. There would be some eye watering prices if some of that bloodstock came to auction.

Envoi Allen a good winner today at Punchestown albeit the main threat to him fell at the 1st.

He looks a seriously impressive horse though and could well be anything.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    I'm not a horse racing fan but I think a few posters might be interested in this. Blatant cheating, corruption?

https://twitter.com/jackwesthamutd/status/1350766004482281473?s=20
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

How good was Shishkin yesterday? Jogged around in a Grade 2. Only a small field but it was ridiculously easy. Currently around 8/11 for the Arkle, which looks like free money.

A guy lucky not to be killed in New Zealand:

How good was Shishkin yesterday? Jogged around in a Grade 2. Only a small field but it was ridiculously easy. Currently around 8/11 for the Arkle, which looks like free money.
    I thought they might have pushed him out a bit more, probably would have been worked harder schooling at home.

Still he got round safe and sound. I've got a few quid tied up in him so that was my main worry. Doubt I'll be investing much more at the price now but if anyone hasn't got a bet on yet he looks the banker of the week.

Tactics: just run two miles as if it's a sprint race

Tremendous performance from Native River at Sandown there. I thought those kind of days were in the past for him.

Great run by Native River. I'd love to see him go to Aintree in April but the owners won't run him in the National.

The Edinburgh National at Musselburgh on the other hand was a dismal spectacle. Tired horses slogging through heavy ground for 4 miles and a tired fall leading to a fatality at the 2nd last. A ridiculous addition to the fixture card at This time of year and footage like that does no one any favours.

Great run by Native River. I'd love to see him go to Aintree in April but the owners won't run him in the National.

The Edinburgh National at Musselburgh on the other hand was a dismal spectacle. Tired horses slogging through heavy ground for 4 miles and a tired fall leading to a fatality at the 2nd last. A ridiculous addition to the fixture card at This time of year and footage like that does no one any favours.
    I watched the race and feared as much. The horse was exhausted and didn't move after coming down. Was it Be Humble? RIP fella.

Honeysuckle outstanding in Grade 1 hurdle as Leopardstown. Her odds for the Cheltenham Mares Hurdle now slashed, assuming that's where she goes again. She routed a strong field.

I watched the race and feared as much. The horse was exhausted and didn't move after coming down. Was it Be Humble? RIP fella.

Honeysuckle outstanding in Grade 1 hurdle as Leopardstown. Her odds for the Cheltenham Mares Hurdle now slashed, assuming that's where she goes again. She routed a strong field.
    Stay Humble I think but yeah same horse.

Tbh I think he had a heart attack or similar in mid air. Was a strange fall and he never moved a muscle after landing. A grim spectacle. I understand why the jockey would have been reluctant to pull up whilst in contention but the horse was absolutely exhausted.

It's always tragic when a horse, RIP Be Humble.

Honeysuckle would IMO, if she's allowed to travel over, win the Champion Hurdle, she's a brilliant horse, but they'll probably go for the mares instead, and that'll be a much shorter price obviously.

It's always tragic when a horse, RIP Be Humble.

Honeysuckle would IMO, if she's allowed to travel over, win the Champion Hurdle, she's a brilliant horse, but they'll probably go for the mares instead, and that'll be a much shorter price obviously.
    It's looking like Honeysuckle will indeed go for the Champion Hurdle.

Presenting Percy and Bristol De Mai both scratched from the Gold Cup and both are heading for the National.

Another Gold Cup in the offing for Al Boum.

Whatever race Kemboy goes for is worth a bet too (probably won't be until Aintree though).
    Last edited by HUTCHYHIBBY; 09-02-2021 at 11:36 PM.

Presenting Percy and Bristol De Mai both scratched from the Gold Cup and both are heading for the National.
    PP a very interesting national horse

First Team Breakthrough
    Right lads, Cheltenham about 4 weeks away so had a wee look for a few tips to make us all a wee bit cash in time for pubs being opened again!
    5 horse acca to start:Shishkin(Arkle) Concertista(mares hurdle) Monkfish(brown advisory chase) Envoi Allen(Marsh chase) and Chacun Pour Soi(Champion chase) all look good individually I suppose but just can’t see what(apart from the fences) can beat any of them. In the Supreme I’m going for Thedevilscoachman at 20-1 must be a cracking ew bet, admittedly well beaten by the fav before but has came on leaps n bounds since then and won easily last twice. Lastly Honeysuckle in the champion hurdle. Good luck!!!