hibs.net Messageboard

Page 87 of 93 FirstFirst ... 37778586878889 ... LastLast
Results 2,581 to 2,610 of 2787

Thread: SNP nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by Fife-Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Because in your world, somebody only has to be accused of guilt in order to be guilty. Even if theyíre found innocent and relieved from all charges. Unless of course their politics chimes with your own.
    Must be hard when your hero has such a fall from grace.

I am saying even if he is innocent, we have seen with countless others that the stigma attached with being accused of serious sexual offences rarely just dissappears overnight.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by James310 View Post

I am saying even if he is innocent, we have seen with countless others that the stigma attached with being accused of serious sexual offences rarely just dissappears overnight.
    But doing a Carmichael, who's found to be guilty of lying in ministerial office is somehow ok with you. So much so, you're even going to vote for his party this time around. #shallowstandards

@hibs.net private member Fife-Hibee's Avatar

So if he's guilty. He's guilty (and rightfully so).

If he's not guilty, then it's job done as far as you're concerned as his reputation will be perminantly damaged in the eyes of the general public?

I would dispute that second one. I believe if he's found innocent in all of this, then his support base in Scotland would solidify around him. Sure, there will be those clowns who will desperately continue to convince themselves that he's guilty in some way. But those are the same clowns who were never going to be on his side anyway.

So if he's guilty. He's guilty (and rightfully so).

If he's not guilty, then it's job done as far as you're concerned as his reputation will be perminantly damaged in the eyes of the general public?

I would dispute that second one. I believe if he's found innocent in all of this, then his support base in Scotland would solidify around him. Sure, there will be those clowns who will desperately continue to convince themselves that he's guilty in some way. But those are the same clowns who were never going to be on his side anyway.
    Maybe if he is found innocent he will launch that leadership bid with Cherry. You might be right and he could get that support back and be a force to be reckoned with again.

Are you #teamsalmond or #teamsturgeon?

Maybe if he is found innocent he will launch that leadership bid with Cherry. You might be right and he could get that support back and be a force to be reckoned with again.

Are you #teamsalmond or #teamsturgeon?
    I'm #teamindependence and will support whoever is prepared to take us there.

https://twitter.com/glasgowcathcart/...078733824?s=19

Classy stuff from James Dornan.

Incase your not on Twitter. He has a go at Boris Johnston, which is fair enough. But then replies to someone who says Boris will dissolve Holyrood with 'he would be too busy quaffing champagne and telling his new fag, my money is on Ross Thomson for that position, to keep still as he uses his back as a table'

Ross Thomson is of course gay.

Of course he will argue he was meaning fagging which takes place at schools such as Eton but a foolish comment for an elected official to make.

I see Fiona Robertson has replied asking James to DM her. She is the SNP equality convener. I can't imagine it's to congratulate him on such a witty tweet.
    Last edited by James310; 26-05-2019 at 03:13 PM.

Incase your not on Twitter. He has a go at Boris Johnston, which is fair enough. But then replies to someone who says Boris will dissolve Holyrood with 'he would be too busy quaffing champagne and telling his new fag, my money is on Ross Thomson for that position, to keep still as he uses his back as a table'

Of course he will argue he was meaning fagging which takes place at schools such as Eton but a foolish comment for an elected official to make.

I see Fiona Robertson has replied asking James to DM her. She is the SNP equality convener. I can't imagine it's to congratulate him on such a witty tweet.
    Extremely stupid thing to say and hopefully he is properly reprimanded for saying it. However, there's a lot of irony from the keyboard justice warriors in that comment section from people who you don't need to look too far into their profiles to see some of the most vile crap ever spouted.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fagging

Ver clear apology from him on twitter.
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fagging

Ver clear apology from him on twitter.
    Again defending the SNP, are you really a Green supporter?

Again defending the SNP, are you really a Green supporter?
    He never said he was defending him. He was simply pointing out that certain words have more than one definition and the definition described in that link would make sense within the context of what was tweeted.

He never said he was defending him. He was simply pointing out that certain words have more than one definition and the definition described in that link would make sense within the context of what was tweeted.
    You mean the exact same thing I pointed out in the original post.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar

You say "Ross Thompson is of course gay" why is that not homophobic?

Asking for a friend
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

Asking for a friend
    ?

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar

Asking for a friend
    Behave.

Though I appreciate you have a particular agenda against the poster you quoted.

Of all the Tory MPs, and in fairness there are a few, the SNP MSP chose to pick a Scottish Tory who is openly gay and made a comment that was wrong and clearly linked to his sexuality.

Poor stuff but equally as poor as your repeated goes at our Conservative-minded friend. Give it a rest please.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

@hibs.net private member allmodcons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    Behave.

Though I appreciate you have a particular agenda against the poster you quoted.

Of all the Tory MPs, and in fairness there are a few, the SNP MSP chose to pick a Scottish Tory who is openly gay and made a comment that was wrong and clearly linked to his sexuality.

Poor stuff but equally as poor as your repeated goes at our Conservative-minded friend. Give it a rest please.
    Honest mistake?

https://twitter.com/glasgowcathcart

Quote Originally Posted by allmodcons View Post
    You can't apologise to people while at the same time accuse them of misunderstanding you. You either apologise for what you did because you made a mistake and realise this, or you don't.

Nobody writes the word 'fag' these days in reference to a gay man and does not understand what will be inferred. An elected official should know better.

Imagine if Murdo Fraser had said that Stewart McDonald was Ian Blackfords 'fag'. We would have a 10 page thread already.

You can't apologise to people while at the same time accuse them of misunderstanding you. You either apologise for what you did because you made a mistake and realise this, or you don't.

Nobody writes the word 'fag' these days in reference to a gay man and does not understand what will be inferred. An elected official should know better.

Imagine if Murdo Fraser had said that Stewart McDonald was Ian Blackfords 'fag'. We would have a 10 page thread already.
    How do you know he hasn't heard the term 'fag' used in the context of a gay man before?

How do you know he hasn't heard the term 'fag' used in the context of a gay man before?
    Are you being serious?

Are you being serious?
    That's what he's saying. To be honest it's not a term I hear used that often if at all.
    Do you really think he'd be stupid enough to tweet something as crass as that if he knew that the term 'fag' was a derogatory term for a gay man?

That's what he's saying. To be honest it's not a term I hear used that often if at all.
    Do you really think he'd be stupid enough to tweet something as crass as that if he knew that the term 'fag' was a derogatory term for a gay man?
    I don't believe for one minute he never knew the word 'fag' was a derogatory term for a gay man. He is a man that has lived in Glasgow all his life and is a massive Celtic fan so will have heard colourful language throughout his life.

He is not the brightest MSP so it would not surprise me.

Would you be defending a tory if they had said it about a SNP MP? No chance.

I don't believe for one minute he never knew the word 'fag' was a derogatory term for a gay man. He is a man that has lived in Glasgow all his life and is a massive Celtic fan so will have heard colourful language throughout his life.

He is not the brightest MSP so it would not surprise me.

Would you be defending a tory if they had said it about a SNP MP? No chance.
    I'm not defending him and, for the record, would never defend a Tory.

I just can't believe someone in his position would tweet that knowing the term was offensive. Even if he's "not the brightest" which I suspect is your opinion of most SNP politicians it beggars belief that he'd be that stupid.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304

You take a lot of abuse on here (wrongly as far as I'm concerned), and once again I find myself agreeing with one of your posts.

It's a complete apology-non-apology. Nobody can be so ignorant to not understand the power that word has in LGBTQ+ circles. It utterly beggars belief that someone who's grown up in place as viscous and unwelcoming at times could possibly not understand the gravity of the word - ESPECIALLY if he has as many gay family/friends as he claims.

If he's that stupid, he should be removed from office (as that level of ignorance is dangerous). If he's ****ed up and been rightly called out for it, he should be removed from office for being a bigot. It wouldn't matter what party he represented, he's wrong and his 'apology' doesn't cut it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    You take a lot of abuse on here (wrongly as far as I'm concerned), and once again I find myself agreeing with one of your posts.

It's a complete apology-non-apology. Nobody can be so ignorant to not understand the power that word has in LGBTQ+ circles. It utterly beggars belief that someone who's grown up in place as viscous and unwelcoming at times could possibly not understand the gravity of the word - ESPECIALLY if he has as many gay family/friends as he claims.

If he's that stupid, he should be removed from office (as that level of ignorance is dangerous). If he's ****ed up and been rightly called out for it, he should be removed from office for being a bigot. It wouldn't matter what party he represented, he's wrong and his 'apology' doesn't cut it.
    Precisely my point, he surely can't be that stupid?

Precisely my point, he surely can't be that stupid?
    I am sure over the years he has been on many equality training courses and done his annual online diversity training like a lot of us will do.

If I called a gay man at my work a 'fag' and then inferred in the same conversation they were on their hands and knees I would be sacked.

I do take a lot of abuse, from a few in particular, but I guess they find it difficult when I prove that they are wrong.

Agreed, you either apologise for a mistake and accept it, you don't apologise and then immediately blame everyone else for misunderstanding you.

Hey never made a mistake though, did he?

Those who misunderstood his post did. So they should all be apologizing to him. (Including yourself).

I am sure over the years he has been on many equality training courses and done his annual online diversity training like a lot of us will do.

If I called a gay man at my work a 'fag' and then inferred in the same conversation they were on their hands and knees I would be sacked.
    Look, I'm not defending him, I just think he may not have heard the term before. He's 66, not much younger than my old man, and I'm fairly sure my father would never have heard that term before (I'll ask him next time I see him). Does JD have any previous for this? Has he made ANY homophobic comments before? If not, and he's aware of the term 'fag' in the context of gay men, he hasn't half steamed right in!

Regarding the workplace argument, if you were defending yourself on the same basis as JD is, believe me, your Employer would not find it that easy to sack you.

Anyway, can we close this one off now? If he's a homophobe he's an arse and should resign or be sacked. If he's genuinely not heard the term 'fag' before in the context of gay men then I don't see any reason why he should resign.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Look, I'm not defending him, I just think he may not have heard the term before. He's 66, not much younger than my old man, and I'm fairly sure my father would never have heard that term before (I'll ask him next time I see him). Does JD have any previous for this? Has he made ANY homophobic comments before? If not, and he's aware of the term 'fag' in the context of gay men, he hasn't half steamed right in!

Regarding the workplace argument, if you were defending yourself on the same basis as JD is, believe me, your Employer would not find it that easy to sack you.

Anyway, can we close this one off now? If he's a homophobe he's an arse and should resign or be sacked. If he's genuinely not heard the term 'fag' before in the context of gay men then I don't see any reason why he should resign.
    He champions his "ally" credentials by citing a number of gay friends and family members. If he moves in such circles, it's absolutely beyond doubt he knows of (and the potency behind) 'fag' in this sense. Anyone who has friends from the LGBTQ+ community have heard the countless stories of abuse, vitriol and prejudice they face, particularly through less progressive times than just now. Plus, any diversity training programmes cover these types of issues/topics. If he is genuinely so ignorant to the word (which is pretty commonplace sadly as a homophobic slur), he shouldn't be a politician in 2019...and again, that's irrespective of which party colours he's wearing.

He champions his "ally" credentials by citing a number of gay friends and family members. If he moves in such circles, it's absolutely beyond doubt he knows of (and the potency behind) 'fag' in this sense. Anyone who has friends from the LGBTQ+ community have heard the countless stories of abuse, vitriol and prejudice they face, particularly through less progressive times than just now. Plus, any diversity training programmes cover these types of issues/topics. If he is genuinely so ignorant to the word (which is pretty commonplace sadly as a homophobic slur), he shouldn't be a politician in 2019...and again, that's irrespective of which party colours he's wearing.
    Look, we'll have to agree to disagree here. I do not think anybody, irrespective of party colours, should be sacked, or is unfit for public office, simply because they have not heard the term 'fag' before.

@hibs.net private member Peevemor's Avatar
    So now you can't use the word fag in the public/boarding school sense? I haven't seen the original tweet, but I doubt he was suggesting that somebody is gay. Things have to be taken in context.