hibs.net Messageboard

Page 86 of 92 FirstFirst ... 36768485868788 ... LastLast
Results 2,551 to 2,580 of 2759

Thread: SNP nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by Fife-Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It was a pretty big commitment. Seeing as it was one of their flagship policies.
    Well as I say it happens to all parties.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Fife-Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by James310 View Post
    Well as I say it happens to all parties.
    Will be interesting to see if it happens again anytime soon.

@hibs.net private member
    Did you vote for them when they campaigned to keep tuition fees free?
    Did you vote for the SNP when they vowed to ‘dump the debt’?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.f...1-1f0bd7b6fbca

Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    Did you vote for the SNP when they vowed to ‘dump the debt’?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.f...1-1f0bd7b6fbca
    Can't see the article. I don't subscribe to the "liberal conservative" Financial Times.

3pts away from home - i'm a happy glory hunter. jonty's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: jonty Wii Code: 7580 5998 4272 1376
    It may be easy to disable. But that's completely meaningless if very few people even know about it. It's activated by default and is just one of the many "security features" that the user has to manually opt out of. Which most won't, because they're not even aware of it.

I never claimed it was the only surveillance methods used either. Cortana plays a big hand in the gathering of data as well and you can only disable it if you know how to tweak the system registry.
    Very few people? who exactly? feedback and statistics/usage data has been in OSs for as long as OSes have been able to feedback information online.
    Inking has been available since the tablet pc (2000). Its not new.

Its not a "security feature". its usage information. Its part of the installation and setup. you have to acknowledge it when you set it up.
    Cortana is the same. it has to be acknowledged during installation/setup.

I'm not sure which other sites you're reading or getting information from, but they're not accurate at all.
    In fact, its all been about accurate as Farage and Brexit.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    No. Lots of parties break manifesto commitments, we see that all the time.
    That must explain the tories European manifesto then 😉
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Joanna Cherry and the journalist met up at the recent SNP conference (again proof on Twitter where they say how nice it was to meet up). She attacked the SNP 'hierarchy' at the weekend and Nicola Sturgeon quickly released a statement saying everything was fine.

Said journalist then writes article a few weeks later after meeting her about how Nicola Sturgeons days are numbered and how Joanne Cherry is best placed to take over from her. Joanne Cherry then 'likes' said article from the journalist.

Yes, nothing to see here.

Those on twitter know you don't 'like' an article if you think it is a load of nonsense. It's an approval of something.
    So its all guesswork from you then.
    And speculation from the author.

Social media shock and awe - subject of speculative articles likes article.

You don't write for the scotsman do you?

@hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    No

I am going to vote Liberal Democrats in the Euro elections.
    Ah that makes sense. Carmichael and Steel will welcome you to their club.

SCOTLAND CAN.

Quote Originally Posted by jonty View Post
    Very few people? who exactly? feedback and statistics/usage data has been in OSs for as long as OSes have been able to feedback information online.
    Inking has been available since the tablet pc (2000). Its not new.

Its not a "security feature". its usage information. Its part of the installation and setup. you have to acknowledge it when you set it up.
    Cortana is the same. it has to be acknowledged during installation/setup.

I'm not sure which other sites you're reading or getting information from, but they're not accurate at all.
    In fact, its all been about accurate as Farage and Brexit.
    It doesn't matter if you decide not to use them during installation. They become active after an update. Try telling the OS you don't want to use Cortana, then see how quickly it reactivates after an update. Then try looking for a setting to disable it. You won't find one. You need to go into the system registry and tweak a value in order to disable it. The same applies to many other "security features". All of your installation security option decisions are replaced when windows pushes an update.

I'm not asking you to simply take my word for it. Try it for yourself.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

It doesn't matter if you decide not to use them during installation. They become active after an update. Try telling the OS you don't want to use Cortana, then see how quickly it reactivates after an update. Then try looking for a setting to disable it. You won't find one. You need to go into the system registry and tweak a value in order to disable it. The same applies to many other "security features". All of your installation security option decisions are replaced when windows pushes an update.

I'm not asking you to simply take my word for it. Try it for yourself.
    I have. I've done literally thousands of installations over the years. from floppy drives, to zero touch network installs.

suspicion, conspiracy theories and make believe used to be confined to the main and cheese boards. clearly its spreading.

You still think that all the emails in the world as being stored on some future technology in massive datacentre hidden from prying eyes?

Complete bonkers.

I have. I've done literally thousands of installations over the years. from floppy drives, to zero touch network installs.

suspicion, conspiracy theories and make believe used to be confined to the main and cheese boards. clearly its spreading.

You still think that all the emails in the world as being stored on some future technology in massive datacentre hidden from prying eyes?

Complete bonkers.
    Then tell me. Where are all the non backup emails stored? According to you, there isn't enough data space in the world to store all of these emails. Yet the trillions of emails in the world that haven't been deleted are still somehow stored for everybody to access in their own personal inboxes. Why is it so far fetched to suggest that emails are copied to backup systems? What if the main servers fail? What if they get hacked into? How do you think they're able to recover peoples emails if there isn't some backup system to store them on?

Perhaps you have done thousands of installations. Have you done thousands of Operating System installations? The world of the internet has moved forward a long way since the days of the floppy drive.

I'm beginning to believe that anyone left of Farage is off putting for you.
    I used to vote Labour pre-Corbyn believe it or not...

However, it's not their left-leaning credentials I was referring to. Put any of that bunch in charge and watch the SNP's ability to reach out to anyone but the already converted nosedive. Sturgeon may be endlessly irritating but I respect her as a talented politician with rare core of relative normality in an arena which attracts much more than its fair share of oddballs and attention seekers. 'Showbiz for ugly people' as I once heard politics described...

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Then tell me. Where are all the non backup emails stored? According to you, there isn't enough data space in the world to store all of these emails. Yet the trillions of emails in the world that haven't been deleted are still somehow stored for everybody to access in their own personal inboxes. Why is it so far fetched to suggest that emails are copied to backup systems? What if the main servers fail? What if they get hacked into? How do you think they're able to recover peoples emails if there isn't some backup system to store them on?

Perhaps you have done thousands of installations. Have you done thousands of Operating System installations? The world of the internet has moved forward a long way since the days of the floppy drive.
    There's a difference between backups and redundancy (for disaster recovery).
    You're not talking about storing all the existing emails. your trying to tell us that all emails are stored indefinitely, regardless of if they're deleted by the recipient.
    And the thousands of installations are OS installations.
    The world of the internet didn't exist when I did my first floppy drive installation.

Have a read of this forbes article https://www.forbes.com/sites/bernard.../#67b575d660ba

Assuming the average email is 100KB, and the article is correct on 156 million emails per minute.
    That's 14.5 terabytes per minute of data that you think is being stored.
    in a day, that's 20 petabytes, or two of these racks. http://coraid.com/b180122-ten-petabytes.html
    Per day.
    so a years worth would be over 7000 petabytes at a cost of around 218million for storage. factor in compute power and your closer to billions.
    then no doubt you'll want to factor in texts messages. images. audio calls. CCTV. facebook. twitter. Instagram. snapchat. youtube.

And then theres the people who have access to this data. how are they going to sift through it all?

And out of curiosity, what makes you think that you're so important that the government needs to spend all this money checking your emails?

(apologies - this is way off thread topic but it was too far out there to go unchallenged)

That's me done before i write an essay.
    Last edited by jonty; 16-05-2019 at 06:46 PM.

Ok. So for starters. The average size of an email is 75kbs - https://www.google.com/search?client...age+email+size

It's estimated that around 205 billion emails are sent per day - https://www.google.com/search?client...63.Htoq0vUgrT0
    However, the issue with this statistic is that it includes ALL emails, including the countless number of duplicate spam emails. Which is estimated to make up around 55% of all emails - https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ail-spam-rate/

Now I think that it could reasonably be expected that if there are backup systems in place, they would have a filtering system for removing spam mail and their millions of duplicates.

So lets say 100 billion emails are actually stored per day. That rounds up to approximately 70 terabytes of data per day.

70 terabytes of data per day split up over multiple servers around the world is hardly unmanagable. An annual world wide cost of 218 million (or closer to 100 million) is absolutely nothing at all.

As for "sifting through it all". They don't need to. All emails are still linked to the individual accounts and even if that one individual has tens of thousands of emails. They can quickly identify the suspected emails by searching for very particular key words.

If you were a suspected terrorist, they would have no problem building up a profile of you. Even using emails that you thought were deleted years ago.

Ok. So for starters. The average size of an email is 75kbs - https://www.google.com/search?client...age+email+size

It's estimated that around 205 billion emails are sent per day - https://www.google.com/search?client...63.Htoq0vUgrT0
    However, the issue with this statistic is that it includes ALL emails, including the countless number of duplicate spam emails. Which is estimated to make up around 55% of all emails - https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ail-spam-rate/

Now I think that it could reasonably be expected that if there are backup systems in place, they would have a filtering system for removing spam mail and their millions of duplicates.

So lets say 100 billion emails are actually stored per day. That rounds up to approximately 70 terabytes of data per day.

70 terabytes of data per day split up over multiple servers around the world is hardly unmanagable. An annual world wide cost of 218 million (or closer to 100 million) is absolutely nothing at all.

As for "sifting through it all". They don't need to. All emails are still linked to the individual accounts and even if that one individual has tens of thousands of emails. They can quickly identify the suspected emails by searching for very particular key words.

If you were a suspected terrorist, they would have no problem building up a profile of you. Even using emails that you thought were deleted years ago.

Lolz. Terrorists don't use email anyway, they use whatsapp - end to end encryption.

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    Lolz. Terrorists don't use email anyway, they use whatsapp - end to end encryption.
    The same whatsapp that just recently pushed a new update due to a major security hack?

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...at-should-i-do

They use email. But generally email providers through the dark web.
    Last edited by Fife-Hibee; 17-05-2019 at 11:05 AM.

The same whatsapp that just recently pushed a new update due to a major security hack?

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...at-should-i-do

They use email. But generally email providers through the dark web.
    Yeah, I was a bit out of date, since facebook have ****ed up the security on whatsapp like they do with everything else. Signal is apparently the app of choice now.

Thread hijack to say the least!

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

I swore i wouldn't.. but...
    Are you doing this deliberately?
    kbs is a transmission speed. its not a measurement of size.
    and its KB not kb. theres a difference.

At 70KB and 205billion emails per day, that's 14 petabtes. remove half and its 7 petabytes. not 70 terabytes.

Storage is cheap. You've ignored (again) compute power, energy, and building costs.
    Not to mention other data. and its growing exponentially.

(backup systems don't remove email. the back email up. Filtering and protection systems block (some) email.)

Your terminology (and maths) is all wrong so you clearly don't understand what you're discussing. You're either a brilliant wind up merchant or you haven't got a clue what you're on about. I can't quite decide.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Can we ask the admins to move all the rubbish about emails and storage capacity to the technical help forum and allow us to get back to the day job? 😉
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

I swore i wouldn't.. but...
    Thank you for fighting the good fight of sanity and accuracy!

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    Can we ask the admins to move all the rubbish about emails and storage capacity to the technical help forum and allow us to get back to the day job? 😉
    my apologies. conclusion is that its a tin foil hat. case closed.

Now, what have those pesky SNP been up to now..... I see that Nicola Sturgeon has 'liked' a post from Channel 4. Must mean that she wants to get rid of the BBC.

my apologies. conclusion is that its a tin foil hat. case closed.

Now, what have those pesky SNP been up to now..... I see that Nicola Sturgeon has 'liked' a post from Channel 4. Must mean that she wants to get rid of the BBC.
    Joanna cherry' s team are already on the case. Peter murrell is in hiding following an attempted coup.

SCOTLAND CAN.

https://www.holyrood.com/articles/co...s-independence

Interesting piece covering some of the issues we have been discussing the last few weeks.

The new one to me was Salmond and Cherry starting a new Indy party, surely that would just split the Indy vote and makes no sense.

The author is pro Indy by the way before she is accused of something.

https://www.holyrood.com/articles/co...s-independence

Interesting piece covering some of the issues we have been discussing the last few weeks.

The new one to me was Salmond and Cherry starting a new Indy party, surely that would just split the Indy vote and makes no sense.

The author is pro Indy by the way before she is accused of something.
    I'm glad you think it makes no sense. The unionists are allowed 3 main parties, with the SNP and greens in support of independence.

A new independence party would allow more independence supporting list MPs at Holyrood.

Win win.

Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    I'm glad you think it makes no sense. The unionists are allowed 3 main parties, with the SNP and greens in support of independence.

A new independence party would allow more independence supporting list MPs at Holyrood.

Win win.
    Do you think it's a serious possibility? I can't see how Salmond could be taken seriously again, even if he is found not guilty.

Do you think it's a serious possibility? I can't see how Salmond could be taken seriously again, even if he is found not guilty.
    No, I was just responding to your post. It also gives you a chance to vent about, salmond. ✌

SCOTLAND CAN.

Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    No, I was just responding to your post. It also gives you a chance to vent about, salmond. ✌
    Well he is not exactly backwards in coming forward. His next move to keep himself in the limelight and relevant is a series of interviews with the likes of Craig Murray who is a bonkers conspiracy theorist, he was also in Bath recently so must be interviewing your favourite blogger as well.

Well he is not exactly backwards in coming forward. His next move to keep himself in the limelight and relevant is a series of interviews with the likes of Craig Murray who is a bonkers conspiracy theorist, he was also in Bath recently so must be interviewing your favourite blogger as well.
    Might as week cover all bases eh. Bath blogger, bonkers Murray, and snidey salmond. Who writes your material?

SCOTLAND CAN.

Because in your world, somebody only has to be accused of guilt in order to be guilty. Even if they’re found innocent and relieved from all charges. Unless of course their politics chimes with your own.