hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Patrick Bamford

Left by mutual consent!

Patrick Bamford

Cannot believe he was signed for £5.5m with his record over last few seasons.

This pisses me right off when we get ripped right off up here. I would have JC everytime.

2. Log in to remove the advert

He's English though so automatically that adds to the price.and in the eyes of the English teams Cummings is Scottish so that takes away from the price.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Trips View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Cannot believe he was signed for £5.5m with his record over last few seasons.

This pisses me right off when we get ripped right off up here. I would have JC everytime.
    He's scored goals for them before. Maybe sometime Cummings can score goals for the likes of Middlesbrough. At that point maybe he'd be worth that cash to someone.

As well as record clubs pay for what they assess the quality and potential of the player might be. Bamford has been very highly rated for a wee while.

Who's Patrick Bamford?

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    He's scored goals for them before. Maybe sometime Cummings can score goals for the likes of Middlesbrough. At that point maybe he'd be worth that cash to someone.

As well as record clubs pay for what they assess the quality and potential of the player might be. Bamford has been very highly rated for a wee while.
    He has been on loan at 3 clubs since first spell at Boro and it appears he never scored once nor since his move on a permanent deal. Just think its a pile of pish.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by HIBERNIAN-0762 View Post
    Who's Patrick Bamford?
    Was thinking that myself!!

To be fair to him, less than 2 years ago he scored 19 goals and got player of the season in the English championship.

So 5.5 in England isn't too bad.

i would say he is quite a bit ahead of Cummings and would score a lot in Scotland.

Addmittedly he has been poor since then.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibs1972 View Post
    Was thinking that myself!!
    Me tae! If Wiki is to be believed he's an English striker at Middlesbrough who hasn't scored a goal in the last 2 years...

Left by mutual consent!
    Just a heads up incase the newly relegated Boro are planning on looking up here for anyone. I will totally disagree on better than Cummings from what I have seen of him in past.

Just a heads up incase the newly relegated Boro are planning on looking up here for anyone. I will totally disagree on better than Cummings from what I have seen of him in past.
    You genuinely think Cummings is better than Bamford?

Coaching Staff
    Bamford was Championship player of the year when he played for them. His loans since then have been short term. Chelsea also recalled him. His loans have been in the EPL.

Cummings might play in the Championship one day. He might not. If he ever wins Championship player of the year I'd be surprised. If and when he does and maybe gets some playing time in the EPL then comparisons can start to be made.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    You genuinely think Cummings is better than Bamford?
    I've seen both live. Trust me JC has at least as much potential as Bamford. A duck is not a swan just because it's in Engerlund!

Quote Originally Posted by brianmc View Post
    Me tae! If Wiki is to be believed he's an English striker at Middlesbrough who hasn't scored a goal in the last 2 years...
    That's funny, it's telling me that he has scored 123 goals in the last five years?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Bamford

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    I've seen both live. Trust me JC has at least as much potential as Bamford. A duck is not a swan just because it's in Engerlund!
    Perhaps they could have saved themselves £3 or £4 million pounds then? Doesn't sound from the chat below that they would quite agree with you.

Middlesbrough boss Steve Agnew has revealed Patrick Bamford has barely featured over the last month after picking up a niggling injury.

The former Chelsea forward, who arrived for £6m in January, has been training through the pain barrier as he battles with a hernia problem.

His last Boro outing came during an impressive seven-minute cameo against Burnley on April 8, but despite catching the eye, he has not made a single appearance since.

Agnew admits Bamford has endured a frustrating few years since his scintillating 2014/15 on loan at Boro, but says the 23-year-old is in contention to feature against former club Chelsea at Stamford Bridge on Monday.

"I think any young player who goes to a big, big club like Chelsea and never gets the opportunity to get a run of games, yes - he's a bit frustrated (with how it worked out),"

"I think probably Patrick's biggest frustrations are after leaving here, having scored all those goals in the Championship, he never got the opportunity to play regularly at the teams he went on loan to.

"That's the thing that we have to take into consideration and get him going again.

"I've had several chats with Patrick and he missed football for 18 months. It does take a long time to catch up but he did come on against Burnley and caused a problem.

"He has trained really well, he has had a bit of a niggle - it's his groin or a potential hernia problem, and that has been an issue.

"But over the last few days he's been terrific in training. I do think Patrick is definitely a big player for the future of this football club."

Bamford was Championship player of the year when he played for them. His loans since then have been short term. Chelsea also recalled him. His loans have been in the EPL.

Cummings might play in the Championship one day. He might not. If he ever wins Championship player of the year I'd be surprised. If and when he does and maybe gets some playing time in the EPL then comparisons can start to be made.
    Point is, JC is scoring goals, plenty, year on year and PB is not. So maybe comparisons don't mean a lot, but goals do?

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco G View Post
    Point is, JC is scoring goals, plenty, year on year and PB is not. So maybe comparisons don't mean a lot, but goals do?

Goals in our championship against goals scored in their championship? Playing time in EPL.

See above, he has been injured and in and out of things with pretty big teams.

I'm sorry, I'm not buying the comparisons in any way. Cummings is miles away from that sort of comparison being a serious one just now.

Quite a difference in quality between playing in the English Championship and the Scottish Championship.

Bamford certainly hasn't been living up to the media hype that has surrounded him, but I'd imagine he's better than Cummings though.

Bamford has scored a lot of goals at a much higher level, earned a lot of good moves and was highly regarded by England and Chelsea.

JC has a lot of potential, but he's not as good as Bamford.

Once JC tests himself in the English a championship we can compare them

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    Bamford has scored a lot of goals at a much higher level, earned a lot of good moves and was highly regarded by England and Chelsea.

JC has a lot of potential, but he's not as good as Bamford.

Once JC tests himself in the English a championship we can compare them
    Good grief, you are talking about a guy who has hardly played for 18 months, and whose manager thinks he might become a good player!

Goals in our championship against goals scored in their championship? Playing time in EPL.

See above, he has been injured and in and out of things with pretty big teams.

I'm sorry, I'm not buying the comparisons in any way. Cummings is miles away from that sort of comparison being a serious one just now.
    See my reply to the same sort of response.

Good grief, you are talking about a guy who has hardly played for 18 months, and whose manager thinks he might become a good player!

Because of injuries and playing in the premier league.

doesnt take away the fact what he has achieved compared to JC yet, good argument tho..

Quote Originally Posted by frazeHFC View Post
    Quite a difference in quality between playing in the English Championship and the Scottish Championship.

Bamford certainly hasn't been living up to the media hype that has surrounded him, but I'd imagine he's better than Cummings though.
    See my reply to the same sort of response. Anyway puzzled why you all underestimate how good JC can be.

Left by mutual consent!
    JC and SJM to name 2 do not need to have played at a higher level to be better than players already playing at a higher level.

JC and SJM are better than lots of players that have gone for high fees IMO anyway.

Coaching Staff

His manager thinks he can be a big player for them. He's already been a good player for them. More than that actually. At a higher level than we are.

Except that Bamford has scored 123 goals over a period when Cummings has scored 55.

This thread is very tedious.

Coaching Staff
    JC and SJM to name 2 do not need to have played at a higher level to be better than players already playing at a higher level.

JC and SJM are better than lots of players that have gone for high fees IMO anyway.
    Yes but they do actually need to be better players than the ones we are discussing. JC is not better than Bamford and taking all the hypothetical stuff out of it that's all there is to it just now.

Left by mutual consent!
    His manager thinks he can be a big player for them. He's already been a good player for them. More than that actually. At a higher level than we are.
    But for me that playing at a higher level should not be a default he is better. That argument therefore could suggest then for every player that plays at a higher level than ours none of our players can be better than any Championship player at any club?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by jgl07 View Post
    That's funny, it's telling me that he has scored 123 goals in the last five years?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Bamford
    It's telling me he's made 123 appearences in that time, not 123 goals

Left by mutual consent!
    Yes but they do actually need to be better players than the ones we are discussing. JC is not better than Bamford and taking all the hypothetical stuff out of it that's all there is to it just now.
    I think he is better than Bamford and quite a few others actually as of now without kicking a ball in EPL or Championship JC is better than a fair few.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl07 View Post
    Except that Bamford has scored 123 goals over a period when Cummings has scored 55.

This thread is very tedious.
    Guff. Bamford has scored 43 goals in his whole career. Where are you getting your info from, before it gets too tedious