hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oli Shaw

Oli Shaw

Anyone see his goal?a screamer,what's people's take on him?I have never seen him play so I don't have an opinion.seems highly rated.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Did ok today. Started the game really well and looked impressive in the first 20/25 minutes. He also scored in the first half but it was chopped off for offside. Second part of the 1st half his touch seemed to abandon him though.

Second half he struggled to really get in to the game at times but still had two really good efforts that were tipped over for corners. Looks promising but maybe not ready for 1st team quite yet.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    I've seen very little of him but from what I have seen it looks to me like he'll probably need to bulk up a bit before making it at our level.

Before anyone says it, I'm not saying he needs to be 6ft 6 and able to run through walls, there is an element of power and strength you need to make the transition from development to first team football though. Many good players have struggled to make that transition, hopefully shaw does but I suspect he'll be on loan somewhere next season.

How many goals has he scored for stenhousemuir?

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've seen very little of him but from what I have seen it looks to me like he'll probably need to bulk up a bit before making it at our level.

Before anyone says it, I'm not saying he needs to be 6ft 6 and able to run through walls, there is an element of power and strength you need to make the transition from development to first team football though. Many good players have struggled to make that transition, hopefully shaw does but I suspect he'll be on loan somewhere next season.

How many goals has he scored for stenhousemuir?
    He's got 6 for stenhousemuir and he's the top scorer by a mile in the development league with 26.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    I saw him today in the development game and he wasn't great tbh. Nothing really stuck when he got the ball played up to him. It must be hard playing two games a week for 2 different teams. I would hope he would be in and around the first team squad next season so we can see what he's made off.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_Franck View Post
    He's got 6 for stenhousemuir and he's the top scorer by a mile in the development league with 26.
    TBH the number of goals scored in the development league means very little to me. Just now he's up against kids, playing against experienced pros is a different ball game altogether and many a good prospect couldn't make the transition.

Sounds like the guy has bags of potential though so fingers crossed.

First Team Regular
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: MC_Humo
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    TBH the number of goals scored in the development league means very little to me. Just now he's up against kids, playing against experienced pros is a different ball game altogether and many a good prospect couldn't make the transition.

Sounds like the guy has bags of potential though so fingers crossed.
    Cummings banged them in in the development league next season look what happened

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

He is very very thin, and there is no doubt he needs to build himself up. Natural goalscorer though.

Quote Originally Posted by Humo View Post
    Cummings banged them in in the development league next season look what happened

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Yip took him an age to score.

He might get some game time pre Season before going out on Loan again Don't think its realistic to expect him to do more than that This time any Loan deal will have a recall clause built in just in case

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would like to see him get a run out before the season ends.

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    I think Lennon rates him.
    He's mentioned him a few times in interviews.
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Haymaker View Post
    Aye he should start against St Mirren

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    :-)

He can't play for us this season.
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

@hibs.net private member
    Next season is too soon for him. Let's give him space to develop

I would absolutely love to be wrong but I don't think he has enough to make it, not in the top league anyway. Hope im wrong

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by IncredibleHibee View Post
    I would absolutely love to be wrong but I don't think he has enough to make it, not in the top league anyway. Hope im wrong
    I know what you mean. Seen him a few times now and he's a nice player and a good finisher but he is very, very lightweight and his control is the ball is hit and miss. Playing against other kids he struggles back to goal.

That said you never know. Scoring goals is the tricky bit and he might just be able to kick on a few levels on the physical side.

Get the kid in as soon as he's able to play and we'll see then whether he's ready or not. Until we see him in the first team we'll never know. If he's not ready then we can work on the parts that he's failing on or he might just be ready to step up. He can certainly knock in the goals so give him a chance as soon as for me.

glory glory

Quote Originally Posted by northstandhibby View Post
    Get the kid in as soon as he's able to play and we'll see then whether he's ready or not. Until we see him in the first team we'll never know. If he's not ready then we can work on the parts that he's failing on or he might just be ready to step up. He can certainly knock in the goals so give him a chance as soon as for me.

glory glory
    He is playing at Stenhousemuir so I am sure NL knows exactly what stage of development he is at without being in the first team

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    I know what you mean. Seen him a few times now and he's a nice player and a good finisher but he is very, very lightweight and his control is the ball is hit and miss. Playing against other kids he struggles back to goal.

That said you never know. Scoring goals is the tricky bit and he might just be able to kick on a few levels on the physical side.
    You mean like Deeks? That's who Oli reminds me of. Started as a main Striker, but ended up playing wide due to his physique
    Last edited by Billy Whizz; 01-05-2017 at 09:19 PM.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    You mean like Deeks? That's who Oli reminds me of. Started as a main Striker, but ended up playing wide due to his physique
    O connors first touch was also horrific.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    He is playing at Stenhousemuir so I am sure NL knows exactly what stage of development he is at without being in the first team
    Fair enough but we won't know how he'll react to playing at a higher level in our first team until he's chucked in. Give the lad a chance when we can is all I'm saying.

glory glory

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Aye he should start against St Mirren
    If he doesn't it will be a disgrace.

If he doesn't it will be a disgrace.
    He can't play.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar
    Oli Shaw was supposed to be the next Lewis Allan.

Is Allan still injured?

Why do players always have to bulk up?

Derek Riordan tried very hard to bulk up but he just couldn't physically do it. It didn't stop him being deadly at what he did.

I sometimes wish we would stop trying to turn players into something that they're not.

If he's a natural finisher, slim, agile and quick, why should we be trying to mess with that?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Why do players always have to bulk up?

Derek Riordan tried very hard to bulk up but he just couldn't physically do it. It didn't stop him being deadly at what he did.

I sometimes wish we would stop trying to turn players into something that they're not.

If he's a natural finisher, slim, agile and quick, why should we be trying to mess with that?
    Because if said player doesn't have the abilities u mention in ur last sentence, and it's quite possible Oli Shaw doesn't, then players need to have the physical attributes to give them more of a chance.

Shaw will not be going out on loan next season.

He will be in Cranes situation, in and around the first team with snippets of game time.

Yeah if only he was as big and bulky as the other youngsters that have impressed like Fraser Murray...

Lennon will see him train and play a lot for hibs plus Stenhousemuir, he will know exactly what he is capable of.

The fact Lennon has been saying if it wasn't for the loans he, along with Porteous would be in the team speaks volumes.

Hes still young, he will develop physically over time

everyone needs to to calm down and support the lad, it certainly seems like he has the ability.