hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member

Bored?? Watch Hibs beat Real Madrid, Puskas and all..

https://www.youtube.com/embed/meAVIQu51YM

If you have some time on this May Day holiday...check out this 1964 footage of Hibs turning over Real Madrid at Easter Road 2-0.

Including two goals from a 17 year old Peter Cormack.

Great footage...

Anyone at the game??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Log in to remove the advert

I was there as a 12 year old, right behind the goals at the bottom of the slope

Didn't see the 1st goal but remember the 2nd (actually an O.G.) and the place erupting, Willie Hamilton was absolutely magnificent in that game, my old man and uncles in the old Centre Stand told me it was the best they had seen since Gordon Smith, praise indeed.

Was also thrilled to see us wearing Green shorts as well, looked well smart.

I was there, from memory only Di Stefano was missing from the great side that won the European cup, that must have been filmed from the old East enclosure. We had some side then , Quinn, Hamilton, Parke, Cormack, Scott, lots of good football played as well.

Enjoyed that. What a great club this is

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Yes I was there.

There was always something magical about the gleaming all white Real Madrid strip (especially under the floodlights) but their stars were sure put to the sword on that famous night.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by greenpaper55 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was there, from memory only Di Stefano was missing from the great side that won the European cup, that must have been filmed from the old East enclosure. We had some side then , Quinn, Hamilton, Parke, Cormack, Scott, lots of good football played as well.
    I remember the TV cameras used to be right above the players tunnel.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

@hibs.net private member greenginger's Avatar
    Yeah, I was there too as a 14 year old ! Ticket only at 5 shillings , no boys gate prices.

I wish I had kept the ticket stub.

Did we not go to Ibrox the next Saturday and win 4 - 2 ?

I was there, away up on the terracing! Thanks to OP for bringing back memories of a great result in our history.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post

If you have some time on this May Day holiday...check out this 1964 footage of Hibs turning over Real Madrid at Easter Road 2-0.

Great footage...

Anyone at the game??

Really interesting to watch and compare with today's game. It's really noticeable that, back then, teams didn't press the ball and players had about half a year to make a pass. I guess this is a result of the much-improved fitness of today's players.

If they could go back in time, I would put my money on the current team hammering both of those teams purely down to improved fitness.

I was there, fourteen years old. I remember joining the queue for the terracing along Albion Road.
    Willie Hamilton would be a great player even today.

I was there too. 15 years old. Can still remember the atmosphere. Real Madrid were by a mile the top team in Europe at that time. Us old 'uns can also remember the 1960 final of the European Cup (precursor to the Champions League) held in Glasgow when Real beat Eintracht Frankfurt 7-3. Watched on grainy black and white tv but sensational. I remember everyone talking about it the following day.

@hibs.net private member ACLeith's Avatar
    At school all the Jambos in the class were saying we would get slaughtered, I think one even said 7-0! I tried to bet them that we would score, but no takers

The Thursday morning was brilliant.

@hibs.net private member alhibby's Avatar
    Many thanks for this, great stuff, I was 8 then and my Dad wouldnt take me that night, was so disappointed, he spoke about it for years after much to my annoyance so it is really good to see it at last, just a pity hes no longer with us as he would have enjoyed watching that immensely,

First Team Regular
    Was filmed from the west enclosure

First Team Breakthrough esjorto's Avatar
    I was there ( and at the 7-3 RM v Eintracht game) and I say Willie Hamilton gave one of the greatest performances I ever witnessed, of any team anywhere. It was the time when Jock Stein was at Hibs and fairly well straightened Willie out. Unfortunately he went back to his old ways ,was sold to Aston Villa but never regained any form. Willie moved to Calgary. I met him once, really nice guy, but tragically died here shortly afterwards.

@hibs.net private member
    Great to read those memories ...amazing . Before my time , but must have been a big thing . This was at a time when almost no games were televised and here we have a "TV" game of a friendly match ! Amazing.

Some of the football looked fantastic !

Quote Originally Posted by cmcd View Post
    Correct, getting my geography wrong as usual, think it was just above the players tunnel.

Correct, and so was the Napoli game but no one can seem to find a copy, pity..

Quote Originally Posted by hibs0666 View Post
    Really interesting to watch and compare with today's game. It's really noticeable that, back then, teams didn't press the ball and players had about half a year to make a pass. I guess this is a result of the much-improved fitness of today's players.

If they could go back in time, I would put my money on the current team hammering both of those teams purely down to improved fitness.
    Since you're playing a hypothetical game, if the 1964 players got up to the level of fitness of the present team what do you think the score would be?

It was a great display.Six bob for the ticket.Hibs had to wear green shorts as part of the deal.A forward line of inside forwards-Hamilton,Quinn,Cormack and Martin and Jim Scott wasn't exactly your traditional centre.Real were taken aback I think because everyone could play a bit and weren't afraid to take the ball.Cormack was excellent.Needless to say he soon became the target for some of the boo boys as his career developed.The tradition of some Hibs supporters not realising what they've got until it's gone has deep roots.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsk View Post
    Since you're playing a hypothetical game, if the 1964 players got up to the level of fitness of the present team what do you think the score would be?
    Double figures.

Great footage, crowd were excellent getting behind Hibs

Thanks for posting. Class viewing.

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by HIBERNIAN-0762 View Post
    Correct, and so was the Napoli game but no one can seem to find a copy, pity..
    I missed the Napoli game as I was living abroad for a while but the Sporting Lisbon game was brill

I missed the Napoli game as I was living abroad for a while but the Sporting Lisbon game was brill
    Don't think that was filmed by a TV company as Tom Hart had told them to GTF basically for not paying the going rate, as a result many great European games were missed.

First Team Breakthrough
    Wasn't there but I got my autograph book signed by all the Hibs players and six of the Real Madrid players thanks to Willie Wilson. Unfortunately it disappeared years ago

Quote Originally Posted by hibs0666 View Post

You'd lose your money !!!

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    It was a great display.Six bob for the ticket.Hibs had to wear green shorts as part of the deal.A forward line of inside forwards-Hamilton,Quinn,Cormack and Martin and Jim Scott wasn't exactly your traditional centre.Real were taken aback I think because everyone could play a bit and weren't afraid to take the ball.Cormack was excellent.Needless to say he soon became the target for some of the boo boys as his career developed.The tradition of some Hibs supporters not realising what they've got until it's gone has deep roots.
    I think PC was only 16 at the time.

@hibs.net private member greenginger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HIBERNIAN-0762 View Post
    Don't think that was filmed by a TV company as Tom Hart had told them to GTF basically for not paying the going rate, as a result many great European games were missed.

Bill Harrower was chairman when the Napoli game was played.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post

Great footage...

Anyone at the game??

Viewed this 5 times since you posted it! Many thanks. 👍