hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar

Are you glad we went down?

I've been thinking about this a lot lately and I've decided that I am. I'm not convinced we would've got rid of Butcher had we stayed up. The club has been completely rebuilt to an extent that it's hardly recognisable from the club that went down. I've never felt such a close connection to hibs that I do now.
    Oh aye and there's the cup win

United we stand here....

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've been thinking about this a lot lately and I've decided that I am. I'm not convinced we would've got rid of Butcher had we stayed up. The club has been completely rebuilt to an extent that it's hardly recognisable from the club that went down. I've never felt such a close connection to hibs that I do now.
    With hindsight if relegation was the price of getting rid of butcher and the inevitable end product of the 4 or 5 years before that then I'm delighted as it brought about the root and branch review that reconnected our club to the fans and it's been going in the right direction ever since. We're on the up.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

YES - DELIGHTED!!!

Wouldn't recommend it again, and it hurt at the time, but it gave the club a massive reboot. I doubt we'd have had Stubbs, and as Pat Stanton said, 'Hibs will win the cup when you least expect it.' Our jinx was so all consuming, it had to be special circumstances for us to break it.

We would never have done that had we stayed in the Premiership.

We come back up a stronger club than ever before, with a larger, more upbeat, united support, and with bad mother****er of a manager who has helped us shed our lovable losers tag.

Also, we'll actually enjoy playing against St Johnstone and Killie and Patrick after the three season hiatus.

And, let's face it, when was the last time we looked forward to derbies so much?

Nope absolutely not.

I can't believe this is even being asked to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    Nope absolutely not.

I can't believe this is even being asked to be honest.
    I would say it's pretty obvious why it's being asked. I set out the reasons in the op. Where do you think we'd be right now if we'd stayed up?

United we stand here....

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    I could never bring myself to say I'm glad we got relegated. Has it worked out for the best? Hard to say. If Leeann hadn't came to Hibs then we'd still be a mess. She may well have managed to fix us without us being relegated, who knows.

It's not so much the relegation that has gave us the kick up the arse we needed, Leeann and Stubbsy arriving were the catalyst for it.

I would say it's pretty obvious why it's being asked. I set out the reasons in the op. Where do you think we'd be right now if we'd stayed up?
    If we had stayed up we wouldn't of been in the Championship and without knowing the players Butcher and his team had lined up to come on board its difficult to know how we would have done
    If going down was the only catalyst for brining in L D and our Scottish Cup Win then it has now been worth it
    But i never want to spend another prolonged period in the Championship

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Mantis Toboggan's Avatar
    These have been the best 3 years I have had supporting hibs.
    If you had told me that would end up being the case at FT of the hamilton second leg I would have laughed in your face. In between crying.

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    I could never bring myself to say I'm glad we got relegated. Has it worked out for the best? Hard to say. If Leeann hadn't came to Hibs then we'd still be a mess. She may well have managed to fix us without us being relegated, who knows.

It's not so much the relegation that has gave us the kick up the arse we needed, Leeann and Stubbsy arriving were the catalyst for it.
    I'm not sure we'd have got Stubbs if we hadn't been relegated. I suspect Butcher would've been given more time and we'd have ended up going down the following year. I couldn't have handled another season in the championship, but were all the better for our time down there imo.

United we stand here....

Most of the rebuilding that's happened has been thanks to Leeann Dempster. She was only just in the door when we got relegated so there's every chance that she would have implemented the change that we've seen over the last 3 years, without the need of being relegated to shock the club into change.

In my opinion Butcher was out the door regardless of whether we went down or not that season. I think Dempster saw enough to be concerned about regarding Butcher and his management style in her first few months in the post and relegation won't have changed her mind on that.

Going down to the Championship was an absolute embarrassment for Hibs, spending three years there has been a nightmare. There's nothing that could convince me to believe that being relegated was a good thing for the club.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronniekirk View Post
    If we had stayed up we wouldn't of been in the Championship and without knowing the players Butcher and his team had lined up to come on board its difficult to know how we would have done
    If going down was the only catalyst for brining in L D and our Scottish Cup Win then it has now been worth it

It's worth remembering that Leeann was coming whether we went down or not. I just don't think Butcher would've been sacked if we stayed up. I also very much doubt we'd have had our best day supporting hibs on the 21st of may last year.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by Ronniekirk View Post

Leeann Dempster had already been appointed before we were relegated.

Relegation can never be a positive but bigger picture will bring us back stronger as a club, with a better manager (than Butcher), better squad, altogether ethos about the club and fan base. Silver linings for me...on the up and loving it 💚

Most of the rebuilding that's happened has been thanks to Leeann Dempster. She was only just in the door when we got relegated so there's every chance that she would have implemented the change that we've seen over the last 3 years, without the need of being relegated to shock the club into change.

In my opinion Butcher was out the door regardless of whether we went down or not that season. I think Dempster saw enough to be concerned about regarding Butcher and his management style in her first few months in the post and relegation won't have changed her mind on that.

Going down to the Championship was an absolute embarrassment for Hibs, spending three years there has been a nightmare. There's nothing that could convince me to believe that being relegated was a good thing for the club.
    I agree with most of that except the part about Butcher going and that's the crucial point in the argument.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member Mantis Toboggan's Avatar

We got rid of butcher.
    We have won the cup.
    We are dominating hearts.
    We have a good manager and chief exec.
    We have good players.
    The crowds have come back.
    All pretty strong arguments I would have thought?

I agree with most of that except the part about Butcher going and that's the crucial point in the argument.
    We'll clearly never know but here's the interview that she gave at the time following Butcher's dismissal.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/footb...-Terry-Butcher

There's no mention of relegation being the reason for him being sacked, in fact she mentions that the main reason was that it was decided we needed a fresh approach.

That tells me that she just didn't fancy Butcher's style of management and that relegation made no additional impact on her decision.

We'll clearly never know but here's the interview that she gave at the time following Butcher's dismissal.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/footb...-Terry-Butcher

There's no mention of relegation being the reason for him being sacked, in fact she mentions that the main reason was that it was decided we needed a fresh approach.

That tells me that she just didn't fancy Butcher's style of management and that relegation made no additional impact on her decision.
    You're right we'll never know, but the fresh approach might not have been deemed immediately necessary if we hadn't been relegated. What's not up for debate is we were a club on a downward spiral and now we're riding on the crest of a wave.

United we stand here....

You're right we'll never know, but the fresh approach might not have been deemed immediately necessary if we hadn't been relegated. What's not up for debate is we were a club on a downward spiral and now we're riding on the crest of a wave.
    I agree with that. I hadn't been engaged with Hibs for a good 3-4 years prior to relegation, it was a horrible time to support the club and it was inevitable that we would go down at some point, it was just a matter of "when".

There's clearly a lot more of a relationship between the club and the supporters these days but again I feel a lot of that is down to Leeann Dempster, rather than anything to do with us being strengthened through being relegated.

What I will say, which I hope everyone will agree with, is that relegation must never be allowed to happen again. There's no chance that a club of Hibs' stature should be allowed to get into that state again and the custodians of the club must never allow themselves to become complacent to the point that the Premiership status of the club is under threat. We need to be ambitious and that involves challenging for the top few spots in the Premiership every season, qualifying for Europe regularly and consistently getting to Hampden in both cups. I never want to see us play in the Championship again.

@hibs.net private member ano hibby's Avatar
    I would not change one single thing about the last 3/4 seasons.
    Great to be alive & be a Hibby.
    "We've also been unsure about what has happened to the receipts of the players who have been sold."
    George Foulkes BBC website 20/3/08

Absolutely not. We needed to win about 1 game in the last 8 to save us the ignominy of 3 ******g seasons in this *****heap of a league.

Dempster was already appointed so, IMO, Butcher was a busted flush either way.

There should never be a rosy side to Hibernian FC getting relegated, let alone for 3 seasons.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    I agree with that. I hadn't been engaged with Hibs for a good 3-4 years prior to relegation, it was a horrible time to support the club and it was inevitable that we would go down at some point, it was just a matter of "when".

There's clearly a lot more of a relationship between the club and the supporters these days but again I feel a lot of that is down to Leeann Dempster, rather than anything to do with us being strengthened through being relegated.

What I will say, which I hope everyone will agree with, is that relegation must never be allowed to happen again. There's no chance that a club of Hibs' stature should be allowed to get into that state again and the custodians of the club must never allow themselves to become complacent to the point that the Premiership status of the club is under threat. We need to be ambitious and that involves challenging for the top few spots in the Premiership every season, qualifying for Europe regularly and consistently getting to Hampden in both cups. I never want to see us play in the Championship again.
    Amen to that.

Anybody that wanted our team to get relegated needs to get a grip.stupid thread.

Testimonial Due
    The crucial point in the argument is really the transference of power from Petrie to someone who knew what they were doing: i.e. Leanne.

I am sure she would have sacked Butcher and his loathsome sidekick even if we had stayed up; there is no way she could have worked with them.

i think we probably would have have done well under Stubbsy in the top tier if we had stayed up but we'll never know how it would have panned out and, although I would never say I am glad we went down, given the cup win, I would not change the last three years.

I feel that everything is in place for us now to become the major force in Scottish football that we once were. I wish it hadn't taken us to be relegated to make it happen, but we now have a definite advantage over our rivals in that we don't have to spend any money on infrastructure. It's all about the team on the park now.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
    Anybody that wanted our team to get relegated needs to get a grip.stupid thread.
    Nobody said they wanted hibs to get relegated. I dont think we'd have won the cup if we'd stayed up so for that reason im glad it happened

Quote Originally Posted by ehf View Post
    The crucial point in the argument is really the transference of power from Petrie to someone who knew what they were doing: i.e. Leanne.

I am sure she would have sacked Butcher and his loathsome sidekick even if we had stayed up; there is no way she could have worked with them.

i think we probably would have have done well under Stubbsy in the top tier if we had stayed up but we'll never know how it would have panned out and, although I would never say I am glad we went down, given the cup win, I would not change the last three years.
    Your last sentence there is probably how I should've worded the question. Would anyone change the last 3 years for survival under Butcher.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member ano hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    Absolutely not. We needed to win about 1 game in the last 8 to save us the ignominy of 3 ******g seasons in this *****heap of a league.

Dempster was already appointed so, IMO, Butcher was a busted flush either way.

There should never be a rosy side to Hibernian FC getting relegated, let alone for 3 seasons.
    The circumstances leading up to our glorious SC win were why we won the thing. We wouldn't have won it if it wasn't for the tragi comedy of relegation. That weekend in May was simply irreplaceable & I for one believe if we hadn't got relegated we wouldn't have won the cup. Refer to the Sir Pat quote above. He was right. I didn't realise it at the time but I'm delighted JC missed that pen.
    "We've also been unsure about what has happened to the receipts of the players who have been sold."
    George Foulkes BBC website 20/3/08

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Nobody said they wanted the team to get relegated.

I can see the OP's point. The club needed a massive overhaul, relegation allowed the off-field staff to start that rebuilding while the first team were (mostly) getting on with winning games.

We might have done that if we'd stayed up, who knows?

We definitely return to the top flight in a much healthier and stronger state than we left it.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

I didn't say that. No one wanted us to be relegated to suggest otherwise is ridiculous.

United we stand here....

Nobody said they wanted Hibs to get relegated, please read the thread title again

If you think it is a stupid thread why did you reply to it 🤔