hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    @hibs.net private member Leith Green's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We need to get this "top six ambition" pish out of our heads for next season.

That isn't a target that anyone at Hibs should be looking at or particularly proud of. Finishing sixth will mean that a club such as St Johnstone or Partick Thistle has finished above us and that, for me, isn't acceptable and isn't the definition of a winner's mentality.

The top six has only been described as a credible target by the media due to the design of the league by the fact that it splits in half after 33 games into a top/bottom six. That is all.

For as long as Aberdeen remain the second best team in the country, we need to be targetting second place. We proved yesterday that we have a bigger support than them, we also proved for 60 minutes that we are a match for them on the pitch as well. We have the financial power to match them, we have the infrastructure in place to match them and we have the fanbase to match them.

If Sevco get their act together then of course they have far bigger resources than us and will be the second best team in the country, just like their predecessors. If that happens then I would expect us to be third.

If we are serious about having a real winning mentality at the club then we need to be targetting second or third place in the Premiership on a regular basis, building our reputation as a club that qualifies for Europe most seasons and consistently get ourselves through to Hampden in the cups. We absolutely need to get this idea of just being a "top six side" as something to be proud of out of our heads as it's not something to celebrate as far as I'm concerned.

I think your spot on with the points you make , especially this top 6 pish .. There is a gap between ourselves and the likes of Aberdeen and possibly the Huns at the moment but nothing that cannot be changed with good summer signings and a real belief that we can challenge up there next season.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Testimonial Due
    Last season's "SKOOSH" comes to mind!

Ambition is and always will be inevitable for all teams at the start of a new campaign, but were new to a better league than where we were.

The other teams have what it takes to survive in it, but maybe no ambition to realistically win it.

We have to first test ourselves on a weekly basis against those teams, as we found out in the last 2 seasons a good win against top opposition then bad results in the games after were not uncommon?

If we set the bar to high and we get a string of bad results, we could have the fans on the players backs as last season proved, so better to secure a stay in the league next season and not get to carried away with 2nd and 3rd talk.

Unless of course that we are signing the Man City reserve team and Messi, that could maybe put Celtic in a sticky position!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by where'stheslope View Post
    Last season's "SKOOSH" comes to mind!

Ambition is and always will be inevitable for all teams at the start of a new campaign, but were new to a better league than where we were.

The other teams have what it takes to survive in it, but maybe no ambition to realistically win it.

We have to first test ourselves on a weekly basis against those teams, as we found out in the last 2 seasons a good win against top opposition then bad results in the games after were not uncommon?

If we set the bar to high and we get a string of bad results, we could have the fans on the players backs as last season proved, so better to secure a stay in the league next season and not get to carried away with 2nd and 3rd talk.

Unless of course that we are signing the Man City reserve team and Messi, that could maybe put Celtic in a sticky position!!!!
    Hearts got promoted two years ago and then finished 3rd last season. Did they set the bar too high in their ambitions?

We support one of the top five clubs in the country and it's time we started acting like it.

For Lennon to be a Winner we would have to finish 2nd or 3rd?
    Realistically we should finish 4th given St Johnstone have a fraction of our budget and Hearts have destroyed their team and will lose most of the remaining good players in the summer.
    New Signings and lost players this summer could change my predictions radically for Hibs, Rangers, Aberdeen Hearts. Time will tell.
    I had a look at kickback yesterday to see what players the forum users thought their club should sign.
    I am happy to report that many of their suggestions are as unrealistic as those made on this forum .

First Team Breakthrough
    I think if we had been in the Premiership and Lennon took over then what OP said about second being 'winning' would be a fair point.

But considering we're just going up after three years in the SC I think he should be given a bit more leeway than that. I know the club is in a good place at the moment and we should set our sights high, but in the last twenty years we've finished in the top 4 four times (two 3rd places and two 4th places).

In that context, top 4 would be a success. I think we're good enough to finish 3rd, but if we don't it certainly wouldn't be failure.

Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    For Lennon to be a Winner we would have to finish 2nd or 3rd?
    Realistically we should finish 4th given St Johnstone have a fraction of our budget and Hearts have destroyed their team and will lose most of the remaining good players in the summer.
    New Signings and lost players this summer could change my predictions radically for Hibs, Rangers, Aberdeen Hearts. Time will tell.
    I had a look at kickback yesterday to see what players the forum users thought their club should sign.
    I am happy to report that many of their suggestions are as unrealistic as those made on this forum .
    How does that work?

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    We've been asked to be patient for far too long, there was always some reason or other why we needed to wait, its time the club delivered, that time is now.

I love arguing with you but I can't argue with this.

Obviously Celtc are in a class of one at the moment but Hibs really should be in contention for a top 4 place and keeping our strong cup performances going.

Quote Originally Posted by Geo_1875 View Post
    How does that work?
    IMO 4th is where we should finish next season so 2nd or 3rd would exceed that expectation so in my eyes would make Lennon a winner.