Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
We need to get this "top six ambition" pish out of our heads for next season.

That isn't a target that anyone at Hibs should be looking at or particularly proud of. Finishing sixth will mean that a club such as St Johnstone or Partick Thistle has finished above us and that, for me, isn't acceptable and isn't the definition of a winner's mentality.

The top six has only been described as a credible target by the media due to the design of the league by the fact that it splits in half after 33 games into a top/bottom six. That is all.

For as long as Aberdeen remain the second best team in the country, we need to be targetting second place. We proved yesterday that we have a bigger support than them, we also proved for 60 minutes that we are a match for them on the pitch as well. We have the financial power to match them, we have the infrastructure in place to match them and we have the fanbase to match them.

If Sevco get their act together then of course they have far bigger resources than us and will be the second best team in the country, just like their predecessors. If that happens then I would expect us to be third.

If we are serious about having a real winning mentality at the club then we need to be targetting second or third place in the Premiership on a regular basis, building our reputation as a club that qualifies for Europe most seasons and consistently get ourselves through to Hampden in the cups. We absolutely need to get this idea of just being a "top six side" as something to be proud of out of our heads as it's not something to celebrate as far as I'm concerned.

I think your spot on with the points you make , especially this top 6 pish .. There is a gap between ourselves and the likes of Aberdeen and possibly the Huns at the moment but nothing that cannot be changed with good summer signings and a real belief that we can challenge up there next season.