hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Views on Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Borderhibbie76 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    U don't like him much do u mate?? Stubbs was arguably a cup final win away from getting his jotters last season...he clearly never wanted to hang around for a 3rd crack at getting us up. Personally I love the big man but he wasn't without his flaws and I don't think it's certain he would have got us up this year - he clearly didn't either. IMO he should have stayed till he got us up but he bottled it and ran to Rotherham.

Lennon has got us up with a weaker squad...yes no huns this year but the championship has been more competitive this year than the last 2 - that's why Falkirk have less points etc. Anyway I don't care how many points we end up with we r up - something stubbs failed at twice

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    You say Stubbs was 1 game away from getting the sack but he was also a game away from winning a cup double which would be one of the biggest achievements in our history. Stubbs had a winning mentality which people seem to want to ignore.

I thought this thread was about being allowed to post our opinions and rate our manager. Everytime someone posts something even remotely negatively about Lennon people jump at the chance to slate them.
    i like Lennon as a person and was delighted when he was apppoonted thinking we would win a lot more games than Stubbs and bring in more quality signings. He has only won us this the league nothing else. And this league is undeniably worse, been to every home game and most away, apart from a handful of games not once did I think the teams where that great.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Exactly. He's won us the league, not because we're better than last season, but because the other teams are worse. Yes, the gap between us and the likes of Falkirk has widened but that's because Falkirk are likely to pick up about 10 points less than they did last season, not because we've improved. We picked up more points in a much better league last season and the idea that you can claim we've got a winners mentality by winning 50% of our games in the 2nd tier with the 4th/5th biggest budget in the country just doesn't really make sense to me. Alan Stubbs won us the biggest prize we can ever realistically hope to win ever again, that's installing a winning mentality. Not winning the 2nd tier with a 50% win ratio due to other teams being significantly worse than previous seasons.
    The other teams aren't worse than last season. Consider the fact that Ayr currently have 35 points already which would have kept them up and out of the playoffs last year.

First Team Breakthrough Nitten Hibee's Avatar
    Wasn't sure about Lennon, love the guy now

Pass mark from me, but not exceeded expectations.
    C+

We were favourites for the league this season (for the first time) and met expectations which is fine.
    However compared to previous two seasons points total has not really improved and goals scored if anything worse.

Quote Originally Posted by guthrie01 View Post
    You say Stubbs was 1 game away from getting the sack but he was also a game away from winning a cup double which would be one of the biggest achievements in our history. Stubbs had a winning mentality which people seem to want to ignore.

I thought this thread was about being allowed to post our opinions and rate our manager. Everytime someone posts something even remotely negatively about Lennon people jump at the chance to slate them.
    i like Lennon as a person and was delighted when he was apppoonted thinking we would win a lot more games than Stubbs and bring in more quality signings. He has only won us this the league nothing else. And this league is undeniably worse, been to every home game and most away, apart from a handful of games not once did I think the teams where that great.
    Not once did I say I didn't like Stubbsy but some on here view his time with rose tinted specs...we were just as woeful in many a championship games under Stubbsy...alloa defeats away twice, Dumbarton defeats away twice, because of the cup win a lot of posters on here conveniently forget that. We weren't playing like Brazil every week under Stubbsy that's for sure...and like you I've been to 90% of our matches the last 3 seasons. As I've said both good managers we are/were lucky to have, but neither without a flaw or 2

Undecided.

Lennon got us promoted, but given the standard of opposition this year and the boost to our budget following the Scottish Cup win, surely that was the bare minimum to be expected of a half-decent manager. There have been far too many draws and not enough good performances which makes Lennon a "don't lose" rather than a "winner".

Some of his public comments have been fair enough, but at other times he's been trying to distract us by blaming officials when we've played badly or criticising players when it has been his tactics that were wrong. Great when it works (eg the Hearts replay), mind you.

I want to see a better standard of signing for next season. Marciano and Laidlaw have been good but Shinnie was inconsistent whilst Holt disappointed, Graham was anonymous and Humphrey faded after one good game before getting injured. Lennon did use his connections to bring in Ambrose however.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Top 4 and a semi final or 2 will do for me next season.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Love the guy. Has the potential to be a great Hibs manager, and totally gets the club.

It concerns me how many people say they are unconvinced by him.

Coaching Staff
    Hibs fans are strange aren't they, and I suppose fans of other teams are as well, but back to Hibs, I watch Hibs & I have opinions as to how they play, good or bad, however I am no coach or tactician, 3 at the back, flat back 4, midfield diamond how would I set up the team, well I wouldn't know how I am only a fan and I suspect most of the key board managers on here fall into the same category. So all I would say is in no way would I blame Lennon for the first 20 to 30 mins of armature football I watched yesterday, profressional footballers trying to dribble through half the Dons team followed by miss placed pass after miss placed pass, as to the 2nd goal lets consign that to history, I'm sure it will be used in coaching videos for years to come in how not to set up & maintain a wall or defend the near post.
    My final thoughts, for weeks I have read on here that the big huddy Holt shouldn't be near a Hibs jersey, but wait, the cry today, why did Holt not start?
    Again I'm told Lennon has only been successful because he inherited Stubbs team, a great team it won the cup, having now been beaten its Lennon's team, he should have known it had weaknesses, after all it wasn't good enough to get Hibs promoted last season.
    I like Lennon, I am looking forward to him building his own team for next season, get ready to say good bye to some well kent faces & welcome new ones. At the end of the day I will continue to support Hibs as I have done for40+ years enjoying the good days & despairing of the bad, but I will never think I know better than the Hibs manager.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post
    Love the guy. Has the potential to be a great Hibs manager, and totally gets the club.

It concerns me how many people say they are unconvinced by him.
    It's not that hard to understand, we've drawn 13 games and scored nowhere near enough goals so have been very dull to watch for long spells.

Nobody is asking for him to be sacked but I understand the concerns about next season when we'll be up against better opposition.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    It's not that hard to understand, we've drawn 13 games and scored nowhere near enough goals so have been very dull to watch for long spells.

Nobody is asking for him to be sacked but I understand the concerns about next season when we'll be up against better opposition.
    Why should people be concerned about us facing better opposition next season when we destroyed Hearts and outplayed the second best team in the country yesterday?

I can't wait for next season. We'll bring in quality and be much more attacking.

Quote Originally Posted by guthrie01 View Post
    Laughing at all this "winners attitude" nonsense. We are scraping by with a 50% win rate in the Championship and only looked like winning it due to the other teams being utter dross and not pushing us enough. We could finish with less points than last season and people still think we have improved

I'm content for him to stay next season but if we could get Stubbs or Alex Neil I would absolutely take them over Lennon.
    Nonsense opening sentence
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
    Some of us are hibs. I'm not so sure about you.

Why? Because I don't go with your opinion? Do you think we've been great this season? I don't. We've got the job done but will need a big big improvement next year or we will toil. Sorry I'm not as blinkered as you. Clown.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderhibbie76 View Post
    Not once did I say I didn't like Stubbsy but some on here view his time with rose tinted specs...we were just as woeful in many a championship games under Stubbsy...alloa defeats away twice, Dumbarton defeats away twice, because of the cup win a lot of posters on here conveniently forget that. We weren't playing like Brazil every week under Stubbsy that's for sure...and like you I've been to 90% of our matches the last 3 seasons. As I've said both good managers we are/were lucky to have, but neither without a flaw or 2

Your point at the end is true enough, doubt we will ever get a perfect manger but Stubbs and Lennon have given us trophies which at the end of the day is all we ask for.
    I have my doubts about Lennon but will wait and see what happens, hopefully he can lead us to more success and better football than this season.

@hibs.net private member Jack Hackett's Avatar
    Regardless of whether or not you are convinced, he is here and now.

100% behind our manager until the day he isn't our manager. Hopefully some way off in the future.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Exactly. He's won us the league, not because we're better than last season, but because the other teams are worse. Yes, the gap between us and the likes of Falkirk has widened but that's because Falkirk are likely to pick up about 10 points less than they did last season, not because we've improved. We picked up more points in a much better league last season and the idea that you can claim we've got a winners mentality by winning 50% of our games in the 2nd tier with the 4th/5th biggest budget in the country just doesn't really make sense to me. Alan Stubbs won us the biggest prize we can ever realistically hope to win ever again, that's installing a winning mentality. Not winning the 2nd tier with a 50% win ratio due to other teams being significantly worse than previous seasons.
    You do realise the reason Falkirk have less points is our dominant record against them this season.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    Not convinced. The standard of football needs to be significantly better next season or we will be down the bottom trying to scrap away from the play offs
    What a load of *****.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    You do realise the reason Falkirk have less points is our dominant record against them this season.
    That is the reason for having two less points. They got one this year from us and 3 the previous season. If they win their last two games they will still have 8 points less than last year.

Most of teams in the middle of the league are on about the same points as their equivalent last season. The big difference is less points by a margin for the top four and more points for the bottom two compared to last year particularly the bottom team. I think there is an argument to say the league has teams more evenly matched with Hibs a wee bit out in front. From what I have watched Falkirk are not as good as the last two years and Morton and Dundee Utd are nowhere near as good as The Rangers and Hearts in the first year and The Rangers last year. I would say the league is worse in quality this year and so are we but you can only beat, or draw, what is put in front of you. I appreciate there is a case to be made the other way too and no real way of knowing.

The only thing we needed to be this season was the best team in the Championship - not better than Hearts, Rangers, Falkirk or any other team were in previous seasons. We have done that comfortably. Nothing else matters.

I couldn't give a toot how much we end up winning by, but FWIW, if we win our game in hand on Wednesday, our lead will be 11 points - the same margin by which Rangers 'skooshed' the league last year.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    The only thing we needed to be this season was the best team in the Championship - not better than Hearts, Rangers, Falkirk or any other team were in previous seasons. We have done that comfortably. Nothing else matters.

I couldn't give a toot how much we end up winning by, but FWIW, if we win our game in hand on Wednesday, our lead will be 11 points - the same margin by which Rangers 'skooshed' the league last year.
    You're right, this season we did just have to be the best in this league, and we've achieved that. However next season we won't be the best team in the league, we probably if we are honest with ourselves won't be in the best 3 teams in the league. Therefore it's not a case of just being the best team in the league next season, it's a case of being as good as we possibly can be to finish as high as we can, and IMO we've regressed this season from the team we had last year. I've seen a few folk suggest the league is more even this year, maybe because the other teams at the bottom have improved, but I don't think anyone can seriously suggest that Falkirk are as good as they were last season, or that any of the teams, including ourselves this season, are as good as the huns were last year. That's where my reservations about Lennon come from, yes, we've won the league, but IMO we're not as good as a side as we were last season.

Also, I seen someone say I don't like Lennon. I realise my posts may actually seem like that, but generally I do actually quite like him and I'm happy enough going into next season with him as manager. I will say though that I'd have been more confident of going into the SPL had we gained promotion at the end of last season with the squad and manager we had and finishing in the top four than I am of going up this season and finishing in the top four with this squad and Neil Lennon. His summer signings may change that.

His only target was to win the league and we've done that. Not easy on the eye sometimes and everyone will have their own opinion about that. However, with our budget and resources, if we had not won the league I would have been the first one calling for his head. On top of this we've had a good defence of our cup run, including beating Hearts comfortably. In the 'big games', excluding the first 30 minutes yesterday, we've done well and that gives me confidence for next season. Let Lennon get the players he wants and I'll judge him this time next season. For me, with consideration to everything (facilities, budget, crowds), a top 4 finish and a decent cup run is a success.

Coaching Staff
    He's really only used one window (and two emergency loans) so he's not even got to the stage of building his own side.

Remember he came in on the back of an unprecedented high at the club and to dismantle or radically overhaul the side would have been madness. But he did what he set out to do - get promotion.

I don't think we will see major restructuring of the squad, but I think he'll be in a far better and more comfortable position in the transfer market to add four or five real quality players. Would be no surprise to see Commons come in as a player coach for experience too.

It's been a real boom time for Hibs since relegation - a cup, a title, another final and semi finals, brilliant derby record, record crowds and season ticket holders, better marketing, better structure, strong off field leadership and two very good managers, fans and club reunited.

Lennon is exactly the right type of character (and has the SPL experience) to drive this progress forward next season.

When you contrast and compare to the eras of Calderwood, Fenlon and Butcher we have made quite incredible strides in the right direction. Fans, players and staff deserve enormous credit. Lennon is an important part in that progress for me.

Quote Originally Posted by superhibi1 View Post
    sorry but your posts are getting worse
    Why, because you don't agree with them? Seems reasonable.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    He's done what he needed to do.

The two objectives for this season were promotion and making a decent defence of our Cup. We have done both.

Looking forward to next season. For me, we should be aiming for top 4 plus another cup run.

You're right, this season we did just have to be the best in this league, and we've achieved that. However next season we won't be the best team in the league, we probably if we are honest with ourselves won't be in the best 3 teams in the league. Therefore it's not a case of just being the best team in the league next season, it's a case of being as good as we possibly can be to finish as high as we can, and IMO we've regressed this season from the team we had last year. I've seen a few folk suggest the league is more even this year, maybe because the other teams at the bottom have improved, but I don't think anyone can seriously suggest that Falkirk are as good as they were last season, or that any of the teams, including ourselves this season, are as good as the huns were last year. That's where my reservations about Lennon come from, yes, we've won the league, but IMO we're not as good as a side as we were last season.

Also, I seen someone say I don't like Lennon. I realise my posts may actually seem like that, but generally I do actually quite like him and I'm happy enough going into next season with him as manager. I will say though that I'd have been more confident of going into the SPL had we gained promotion at the end of last season with the squad and manager we had and finishing in the top four than I am of going up this season and finishing in the top four with this squad and Neil Lennon. His summer signings may change that.
    Again, what does it matter if we are not better than Rangers were last year? I can see where you're coming from in much of your analysis, but speculating about the past and future is one thing, judging Hibs and Lennon on what we actually have done, is another thing entirely.

With Lennon's knowledge of the SPL and eye for a player - not to mention our performances against Brondby, Hearts (both types across the two games) and Aberdeen - I couldn't feel more confident about next season.
    Last edited by Stevie Reid; 23-04-2017 at 04:16 PM.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Why, because you don't agree with them? Seems reasonable.
    no because you wrong

Again, what does it matter if we are not better than Rangers were last year? I can see where you're coming from in much of your analysis, but speculating about the past and future is one thing, judging Hibs and Lennon on what we actually have done, is another thing entirely.

With Lennon's knowledge of the SPL and eye for a player - not to mention our performances against Hearts (both types across the two games) and Aberdeen - I couldn't feel more confident about next season.
    I'm more pointing out that the league IMO is not the standard it was last year and yet we've got less points, which would suggest we're not of the standard that we were last year either - to me anyway. That's my only issue with the way this season has went. I'm glad we've won the league and gained promotion, but I do worry that it's possibly papering over some cracks and that we're not as equipped to go up as we would have been this time last year based on our actual points total over the season, rather than our league placing. A team that wins the league with with 100 points is a great side (relative to the league they're playing in of course) if a team manages to win it with 55 they're probably not that great a side, just lucky that the rest of the league took enough points off each other to make that total enough. I realise they two totals are extremes, but our points total is nowhere near where it should be with the players and budget at our disposal and is the reason I'm not 100% convinced by him.
    Last edited by calumhibee1; 23-04-2017 at 04:34 PM.

I honestly think Neil Lennon will help us reach our full potential. Can't see any other manager being able to do that. He's got drive and passion that we need and is highly respected within the game. Otherwise we end up back in mediocrity fighting to stay in top 6 - which I really don't want to return to.

Hopefully he'll have a decent budget and build a strengthened squad. We may not be able to match Celtic's resources but on our day with a passionate support we can take them!

I'm more pointing out that the league IMO is not the standard it was last year and yet we've got less points, which would suggest we're not of the standard that we were last year either - to me anyway. That's my only issue with the way this season has went. I'm glad we've won the league and gained promotion, but I do worry that it's possibly papering over some cracks and that we're not as equipped to go up as we would have been this time last year based on our actual points total over the season, rather than our league placing. A team that wins the league is with 100 points is a great side (relative to the league they're playing in of course) if a team manages to win it with 55 they're probably not that great a side, just lucky that the rest of the league took enough points off each other to make that total enough. I realise they two totals are extremes, but our points total is nowhere near where it should be with the players and budget at our disposal and is the reason I'm not 100% convinced by him.
    What "should" our points total be? I know we've drawn a lot of games this year, but I haven't been worried at this season, even when Dundee United went two points above us on Boxing Day - I always felt we were going to get the job done, and how we did it, or how many points we won the league by, were by far secondary to actually winning it. I'm not going to complain about our points total or winning margin when winning a title, much like I wouldn't be bothered by the score line in a cup final, as long as we won it.

I see where you're coming from in that we've taken less points in what is on paper a weaker league, but it's how we move forward from here that matters, not how we compare to previous champions (though FWIW, St. Johnstone won the league with around 64 points when they went up in exactly the sort of circumstances you describe, team in second lost 12 games, IIRC and they haven't looked back since).

If we recruit the right players to augment the solid spine that we have to the team and add more creativity and goals, we could really excel. The mentality of the players and the fact that we hardly ever lose a game is a big plus also.

I am delighted we have Lennon, if someone had told me when he left Celtic at the end of the season in 2014 when we were relegated, that two seasons later he'd be our manager with us still in the Championship, I'd never have believed it (now I think of it, it probably seemed as unlikely as Brendan Rodgers becoming Celtic manager, given at that time he'd just missed out on winning the EPL by a whisker).

He has achieved a lot in football management and taken charge of Celtic in some huge games. His experience and mentality, not to mention the passion he has for the club, could really take us places IMO.
    Last edited by Stevie Reid; 23-04-2017 at 05:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post

We have done very well against spl teams in the cup and the players have stepped up to the mark then. I cant see why folk arent questioning the players for the draws weve had? Yeah lets be negative towards a manager whose done whats required and he will do better next season. We will be up there next season no doubt about it. I Think folk need reminding of past managers like calderwood, butcher, duffy to see how lucky we are having Lennon.