hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Left by mutual consent!

'Gallant losers are losers'...Was Lennon right to blast the players?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39680019

Some hard-hitting stuff in his interview.

2. Log in to remove the advert

"The first 30 minutes was pathetic and totally unacceptable"

Hard to disagree, and it's the kind of attitude you need to be a winner.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    No. We showed great spirit to fight back and were unlucky to concede the third. The start was unacceptable but the performance after that overshadowed that.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    His suggestion that it wasn't down to tactics is a total cop out. Yes, the goals were individual mistakes and he can't do anything about that, but the overall flow of the first half hour was down to him playing Cummings up top on his own.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Dalglish once said "Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser"
    I know what he's getting at, but he's wrong. Jack Nicklaus was a good loser but he NEVER was a 'loser'

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    His suggestion that it wasn't down to tactics is a total cop out. Yes, the goals were individual mistakes and he can't do anything about that, but the overall flow of the first half hour was down to him playing Cummings up top on his own.
    In a nutshell.

Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post

100%. He wants winners, not losers.

@hibs.net private member
    Yes the players crap for 30 minutes but so was the way the team was set up. We win as a team and lose as a team.

@hibs.net private member
    Correct, he needs to learn some lessons from today. We had nothing to fear from Aberdeen and he set us up far too narrow and defensively.

Surely the flow of the game was determined by having control of the ball twice at the kick off and still losing a goal.From then on our much praised midfield took half an hour to cope with being pressed and having no time on the ball.Something they'll have to get used to next season.

100% he has the attitude we have needed for far too long

Coaching Staff The Green Goblin's Avatar
    My thoughts too. Mistakes cost us, but this didn´t help.

If he wants winners then why has he offered every player a new contract? He's right the first 30 were terrible

Lennon was right. Tactics had nothing to do with the 2 poor goals we lost. Tactics had nothing to do with us looking jittery and not showing for the pass. He is annoyed cause he knows we could and maybe should have won this game.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Never agree about gallant losers but you are allowed to take positives. After the second I thought that were in for a real skelping but we didn't fold.

Quote Originally Posted by JDT View Post
    If he wants winners then why has he offered every player a new contract? He's right the first 30 were terrible
    Maybe some of them are not great terms, but after some performances he may be unwilling to improve some offers

Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    I know what he's getting at, but he's wrong. Jack Nicklaus was a good loser but he NEVER was a 'loser'
    Big difference from team and individual sports.

Quote Originally Posted by JDT View Post
    Players can learn good habits.

semi final

Quote Originally Posted by houstonhibbee View Post
    Maybe some of them are not great terms, but after some performances he may be unwilling to improve some offers
    It was a huge disappointment I still wonder why Jason is so hot and cold, he just did not turn up ,Aberdeen were there to be taken but we gifted them the goals and there is no excuse for that.It was obvious the free kick was going to be an in swinger so why on earth did we not cope with that basic situation.....The first goal was a joke..but not a funny one .
    Hard to fault the effort but yes changes needed in squad for sure, a killer touch and more Dylan style players driving forward.I hope Dylan is not out yet again from this injury.
    We have achieved our main aim so well done.

Of course he's right but he is also culpable for picking a team that clearly wasn't set up correctly.

The first 30 minutes was the poorest I've seen from us for quite some time and that's ultimately what's cost us today. The last hour of that match, showed that we can more than match the likes of Aberdeen but you can't expect to get away with conceding two goals like that.

We deserved extra time there's no doubt about that but the start of the game was unacceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post

Kenny Dalglish / Vince Lombardi - Potato / Tomato.

It's a yes from me. But he too takes share of the blame.
    Last edited by OsloHibs; 22-04-2017 at 06:22 PM.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco G View Post
    Lennon was right. Tactics had nothing to do with the 2 poor goals we lost. Tactics had nothing to do with us looking jittery and not showing for the pass. He is annoyed cause he knows we could and maybe should have won this game.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
    His tactics were the reason for us looking jittery. With the way we were set up the first half hour the players knew that Cummings wasn't going to hold the ball up against their defence, so that option was pretty much off. After that we're looking to knock the ball about in midfield, which if you lose it there, is a dangerous game, as the first goal showed. The best we could have hoped for the first half hour with the way we were sit up was to keep the ball off them, never in a million years were we going to score with Cummings up top on his own.

@hibs.net private member
    Agree with this. Yes the players made errors but he has to shoulder some of the blame or support those that made the errors.

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    No. We showed great spirit to fight back and were unlucky to concede the third. The start was unacceptable but the performance after that overshadowed that.
    If it had overshadowed it we would have won.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    I would rather be a gallant loser than a cowardly loser. When Lennon made his comments he was already a loser, he had the choice of what type of loser to be. Of course I appreciate, that to most Hibs fans, Lennon is a winner even when his team draws or loses and more so when they win.

I have no problem with Lennon stating cold hard facts but he should be man enough to acknowledge his own responsibility for team set up and the part that played in the first half hour.

Fine to call out mistakes if that includes your own.

@hibs.net private member givescotlandfreedom's Avatar
    He's absolutely right in his attitude but didn't help things by setting us up all wrong in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    I would rather be a gallant loser than a cowardly loser. When Lennon made his comments he was already a loser, he had the choice of what type of loser to be. Of course I appreciate, that to most Hibs fans, Lennon is a winner even when his team draws or loses and more so when they win.
    I'd say its more a case of trying to instill a winning mentality into the mindset that has been a soft touch in the past and obviously still shows up from time to time.
    He wants his players to concentrate and fight for the full game not just part of it - and in every game not just the big games.
    That's the mentality at celtic and nothing wrong with that at all.

First Team Breakthrough Cheshire Hibby's Avatar
    quite right imo.