hibs.net Messageboard

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Fyvie...

@hibs.net private member Craig_HFC's Avatar
    I thought our midfield vs QotS was the best that our midfield specifically had performed all season. No coincidence that Fyvie had an excellent game that day, either.

I'd love him to stay as I reckon he makes us tick but don't think he will, unfortunately.

On a separate note, I think that Bartley will be a big player for us next season in the games vs Celtic, Rangers & Aberdeen (especially away from home).
    PERSEVERE
    Verb: pə:ːsɪ'ˈvɪə/
    To not give up.
    To go the distance.
    To stop at nothing.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by GreenOnions View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm getting pretty tired of reading Hibs supporters talk about our own players like this. This statement is such obvious rubbish I don't even know where to start. It's not a constructive criticism - it's just a sarcastic jibe.

Thankfully - neither Alan Stubbs nor Neil Lennon agree with you as FF has been a first pick for pretty much the entire period he's been here apart from since coming back from his injury a while back. Perhaps you know more about football and the Hibs squad than they do?

Try facing the pitch when you watch a game of football mate and support our players rather than slagging them off.
    It's just plain ignorance. As you say, let's be thankful some of these characters are nowhere near having to pick our team. Fraser Fyvie is a top player.

Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    It's just plain ignorance. As you say, let's be thankful some of these characters are nowhere near having to pick our team. Fraser Fyvie is a top player.
    It's not ignorance. It's just a differing opinion.

Over the last couple of months Lennon has hardly picked him. Maybe he's just one of this ignorant characters.

@hibs.net private member
    It's very rarely that Fyvie plays and is not one of our most influential players. Even when he's not at his best , he never hides and is always looking to get on the ball. I'd be making it a priority to re-sign him.

There is no doubt that we are at our most fluent when Fyvie plays alongside McGeouch and McGinn. Although I understand that some people get frustrated at the odd iffy pass, which he is certainly prone to, I really like Fyvie as a player - I would love to see us keep him but I'm not convinced he will stay. He doesn't just play easy passes sideways, as someone suggested. He plays with intelligence, and I'm not talking about match-winning through balls (a la Allan), but passes that move the opposition around and allow guys like McGinn, McGeouch and Shinnie the freedom to find little pockets of space. Allied to this, he is also excellent at constantly moving into space himself to give teammates an option to pass to. IMO it is no coincidence that the team looked so much more fluid and comfortable when he was brought in against QOS.

If we have to compare the two, Bartley serves a purpose in particular games, and I love seeing him swat people off the ball, but he is nowhere near as good at moving the team from defence into attack as Fyvie. I also think that he is aware of his limitations and therefore hides a bit when we are in possession, which contributes to us playing the kind of football the fans have bemoaned for much of this season.

However, on Saturday Lennon had a decision to make. We'd started terribly and, rightly or wrongly, the starting line-up had clearly been put together on the basis of keeping it tight and playing on the counter. The idealist in me wished it had been Bartley that was sacrificed, as I believe Fyvie is a much better 'footballer', but when you consider the yellow card and the type of game we were going to implement once Holt was on, you have to say Lennon made the right choice.

Quote Originally Posted by patlowe View Post
    There is no doubt that we are at our most fluent when Fyvie plays alongside McGeouch and McGinn. Although I understand that some people get frustrated at the odd iffy pass, which he is certainly prone to, I really like Fyvie as a player - I would love to see us keep him but I'm not convinced he will stay. He doesn't just play easy passes sideways, as someone suggested. He plays with intelligence, and I'm not talking about match-winning through balls (a la Allan), but passes that move the opposition around and allow guys like McGinn, McGeouch and Shinnie the freedom to find little pockets of space. Allied to this, he is also excellent at constantly moving into space himself to give teammates an option to pass to. IMO it is no coincidence that the team looked so much more fluid and comfortable when he was brought in against QOS.

If we have to compare the two, Bartley serves a purpose in particular games, and I love seeing him swat people off the ball, but he is nowhere near as good at moving the team from defence into attack as Fyvie. I also think that he is aware of his limitations and therefore hides a bit when we are in possession, which contributes to us playing the kind of football the fans have bemoaned for much of this season.

However, on Saturday Lennon had a decision to make. We'd started terribly and, rightly or wrongly, the starting line-up had clearly been put together on the basis of keeping it tight and playing on the counter. The idealist in me wished it had been Bartley that was sacrificed, as I believe Fyvie is a much better 'footballer', but when you consider the yellow card and the type of game we were going to implement once Holt was on, you have to say Lennon made the right choice.
    Agree, however this a MB and this sort of post is far too reasoned, rationale and sensible - it should be banned from here

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by makaveli1875 View Post
    if fyvie leaves us he will end up at killie or partick . Not a hope in hell aberdeen or rangers will be interested
    He would walk into Rangers central midfield.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    He would walk into Rangers central midfield.
    So will the yams!

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by patlowe View Post

Good post I think Lennon made the correct decision on Saturday as no way would Fraser have been able to counter some of the Aberdeen midfield runs Bartley was able to do.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenOnions View Post
    I'm getting pretty tired of reading Hibs supporters talk about our own players like this. This statement is such obvious rubbish I don't even know where to start. It's not a constructive criticism - it's just a sarcastic jibe.

Thankfully - neither Alan Stubbs nor Neil Lennon agree with you as FF has been a first pick for pretty much the entire period he's been here apart from since coming back from his injury a while back. Perhaps you know more about football and the Hibs squad than they do?

Try facing the pitch when you watch a game of football mate and support our players rather than slagging them off.

Talk about our own players like what? I'm not the one who brought up his cup final performance when it's completely irrelevant. What he did almost a year ago shouldn't influence his future after his performances this season. I don't rate him, I don't see what others see in him. Doesn't mean I go to Easter road and boo him. I'm entitled to voice my opinion like anyone else on here. if you don't like it then ignore it, I really won't care any less.

Left by mutual consent! Lex7zero's Avatar

Totally agree

Quote Originally Posted by Cairney11 View Post
    Sorry to say it but can't see him here next season
    Been a great season and as usual a lot of different opinions, but it's fairly clear to me that Fyvie did not deliver anything in the championship and he is clearly the first player we can do without.

Left by mutual consent! Lex7zero's Avatar

Spot on

Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    Talk about our own players like what? I'm not the one who brought up his cup final performance when it's completely irrelevant. What he did almost a year ago shouldn't influence his future after his performances this season. I don't rate him, I don't see what others see in him. Doesn't mean I go to Easter road and boo him. I'm entitled to voice my opinion like anyone else on here. if you don't like it then ignore it, I really won't care any less.
    Totally agree mate. I support anyone in a Hibs strip but to me and most of my mates we are in the same boat. Fyvie is not close to good enough. Disappointing that Lennon didn't see that too, but really hope that Fraser gets a good move and proves me wrong. Glory Glory.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    so he should be kept on the basis of one performance almost a year ago?
    No we should forget all about that and get rid of yon catchy tune - what's it called?
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex7zero View Post
    Totally agree mate. I support anyone in a Hibs strip but to me and most of my mates we are in the same boat. Fyvie is not close to good enough. Disappointing that Lennon didn't see that too, but really hope that Fraser gets a good move and proves me wrong. Glory Glory.
    No only do you not think he is good enough but you don't think he is close to good enough? That is madness.

Lennon didn't see it because it isn't close to being true.

@hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar
    Lennon on Fyvie in today's Scotsman:

Lennon explained that he has had a chat with Fraser Fyvie, who was visibly annoyed at being substituted after 33 minutes on Saturday. “I saw him on Sunday [at the player of the year dinner] and I just asked him if he was okay,” said the manager. “He said he was fine. Look, he has every right to react the way he did, or feel the way he did. I would have been exactly the same. Gordon [Strachan] took me off in a cup final, and I wasn’t exactly delighted about it. But you understand. As a manager, I had to make a decision. It turned out to be the right decision. It wasn’t down to Fraser. The fact he was on a booking pre-empted that as well. I had to make a change.”

Read more at: http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.co...aith-1-4429279
    ​#PERSEVERED

Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    Think we'd regret it if Fyvie went to Aberdeen, Rangers or worse, Hearts, nest season. He's exactly the type of player we need for the campaign next season.
    There is zero chance he would get a game at the huns or Aberdeen...hertz maybe but let's no stretch the truth here mate. He struggles to get a game for us in championship

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by allezsauzee View Post
    It's very rarely that Fyvie plays and is not one of our most influential players. Even when he's not at his best , he never hides and is always looking to get on the ball. I'd be making it a priority to re-sign him.
    I'm sorry but there ain't half some nonsense on this thread...Fyvie has barely played since Feb - and before that he had 6 or 7 extremely poor matches by his standards. He is a semi decent midfielder that's IT - he is not the ginger Messi some on here make out he is. And it appears if you don't believe he is the best thing since sliced bread...your not a hibs fan???

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderhibbie76 View Post
    There is zero chance he would get a game at the huns or Aberdeen...hertz maybe but let's no stretch the truth here mate. He struggles to get a game for us in championship

Did you see the midfield 3 that started for Rangers on Sunday? It contained Jason Holt, a player deemed surplus to requirements at Tynecastle.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderhibbie76 View Post

I reckon that post will come back to haunt you.

When you play through fyvie he makes us tick. He is like Claros, he won't jump into the game cold but play things through him and he he is the centre of the team.
    Could easy play at top sides but hopefully we will keep him here.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex7zero View Post
    Been a great season and as usual a lot of different opinions, but it's fairly clear to me that Fyvie did not deliver anything in the championship and he is clearly the first player we can do without.

Utter nonsense.

The fact is Fyvie hasn't kicked on after the cup win and TBH quite a few players haven't kicked on as we expected them to. Fraser has only made 19 appearances this season in the league, which is a pretty poor return for a player with his experience, he's another who's had a stop start season due to niggly injuries. Can we do without Fyvie, yes we can which has been proved this season, can we get better, probably yes we can. Fraser is a tidy decent midfielder but I think his game has plateaued out and he's not improved much since he came to Hibs.

You've completely missed the point and ignored the facts I'm afraid. Criticising players is fine - we all do that. It's even fine when it's not warranted.

My point was that your criticism was hyperbolic. To argue that Fraser hasn't played well since the cup final is simply ridiculous and loses you any credibility straight away. The facts that get in the way of your opinion are that Neil Lennon picked him as a starter pretty much every week until his last injury. Alan Stubbs did the same. Many supporters that I've spoken to even had Fraser as MoM against QoS recently.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but mine is that Hibs supporters should at least make an attempt to be fair to their own players.

I may well ignore future posts of yours but only where they are the same wild exaggerations as your one on this thread. Anything that's sensible I will read - I'm sure you'll be glad to know.

Quote Originally Posted by keep the faith View Post
    I reckon that post will come back to haunt you.

When you play through fyvie he makes us tick. He is like Claros, he won't jump into the game cold but play things through him and he he is the centre of the team.
    Could easy play at top sides but hopefully we will keep him here.
    Happy to be proved wrong mate...I am pretty "meh" about Fraser staying tbh...if he does great I will support him as I do every Hibs player but my own personal.opinion is he is decent....nothing more. As another poster has stated, since the Cup final he has flattered to deceive somewhat and I don't think he has kicked on for us. That's just my opinion.

Fyvie's a bit hit or miss for me. We can do better.

Quote Originally Posted by LancsHibs View Post
    Like Fyvie but think Bartley will be a massive player for us next season. Would like to keep both but if had to pick one would defo be Bartley. Also 100% right decision for FF to come off today.
    Bartley will need to pass the ball 80% better than he does, move the ball quicker than he does, stop dwelling on the ball as much , jump nor than 2 inches of the ground, adapt to a game quicker than he does, get himself at least 10-15,yards in front of our centre halves, all to be worked on from now til the start of the season ..if he can improve well in half of these then he will serve us really well if not he will serve a purpose well in certain games ...suppose what I am saying is that he has his strengths but plenty that needs a fair bit of development ...happy to have him in the squad though !

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by eastcoasthibby View Post
    Bartley will need to pass the ball 80% better than he does, move the ball quicker than he does, stop dwelling on the ball as much , jump nor than 2 inches of the ground, adapt to a game quicker than he does, get himself at least 10-15,yards in front of our centre halves, all to be worked on from now til the start of the season ..if he can improve well in half of these then he will serve us really well if not he will serve a purpose well in certain games ...suppose what I am saying is that he has his strengths but plenty that needs a fair bit of development ...happy to have him in the squad though !
    Where did u get ur figures from??? Have u looked back at 100% of his passing at Hibs to get the 80% number? Have u checked the inches he has jumped everytime to get the figure u came up with? MB will start the majority of our games next year if he signs on as the games will be played more like the big games we've played over the past few years, games which Marv has been a stand out in and rarely let us down. No idea where ur post about MB came from.

Quote Originally Posted by eastcoasthibby View Post
    A player who needs to pass the ball 80% better than he does, move the ball quicker than he does, stop dwelling on the ball, jump more than 2 inches off the ground, adapt to games quicker and get himself AT LEAST 10-15 yards in front of our centre halves and you are not certain he can improve those metrics, coupled with another post that claims he is a player who knows his limitations and HIDES when we are in possession of the ball.....and you are happy to have him?

Some hilarious stuff.