hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

John Hartson: Board must match Lennon's ambitions for Hibs, and move the club forward

I've copied some interesting commentary from John Hartson below about how Dempster and Petrie must back Lennon in this coming transfer window. Your thoughts?

Interesting side note: had no idea Hartson was an Edinburgh man now.

NEIL LENNON is on the verge of giving Hibs what they want.

When he does, it’s up to the Easter Road club to reciprocate and do right by him.

Lenny is due a new contract for a start. His staff and players also need to be properly rewarded when they win promotion back to the Premier League.
    NEWS GROUP NEWSPAPERS
    Then there has to be nailed-on guarantees from the board they are going to back him financially to improve his squad.
    Without all of that, Hibs run the risk of seeing their manager walk right out the door.
    I reckon there could be a bit of cat and mouse this summer between Lennon and Hibs as they negotiate the finances — but the wee man’s no mug.
    He’s been in football management long enough now to know exactly how it all works.
    If Hibs win the Championship, Lennon won’t look to take any huge credit for it personally.

But he’ll want to be convinced that Hibernian is as ambitious and forward-thinking as he is.
    The contract he’s on will need to be renegotiated first of all. Lenny knows his value, and the money he earns next season should be increased significantly from what he’s on now.
    But his main priority will be getting promises he will have the money needed to bring in three or four quality players.
    Hopefully, the Hibs board are prepared for that. It would be disappointing if they weren’t on the same page as their manager.
    Quite simply, Lennon won’t be satisfied with going up next season and surviving.

He won’t accept any possibility of being embarrassed when he takes his team to places like Celtic Park, Ibrox and Tynecastle.
    He will want to kick on immediately and really compete with Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen and Hearts.

I live in Edinburgh now, and I can virtually smell the rivalry in the air when I walk around the city.

NEWS GROUP NEWSPAPERS LT
    After many years in Glasgow, I find it refreshing. Hibs and Hearts fans are desperate to beat each other and that’s healthy for both clubs.
    It will be great when they are both back in the same league.
    But Lenny won’t be prepared to let Hearts dominate even though they have been in the top flight longer.
    He’s got good contacts in England and he’ll want to use them.
    He will have players in mind he believes can make his squad better. Winning one game next season, then drawing one and losing two won’t be anywhere near good enough.
    That might have been good enough form for Hibs in years gone by, but Lennon has higher standards than that. This is a guy who has managed Celtic, and that prepares him for any level in football.
    He picked the wrong club when he went to Bolton, and his experience there was one he won’t want to repeat because his hands were tied financially.
    Bolton was an impossible job and he will have learned from that.
    But it’s up to Hibs now to back him 100 per cent.
    If they are prepared to do that then there is no limit where Lennon can take them.
    Obviously, competing with the likes of Celtic for the title would be tough.
    NEWS GROUP NEWSPAPERS LT
    But this season Hibs are in the Scottish Cup semi- finals as a Championship team, so that’s got to be encouraging for everyone at Easter Road.
    There was a feelgood factor when he took over given Alan Stubbs had just won them the Cup.
    But that momentum had to be carried on, which wasn’t easy.
    Crowds are up, though, with supporters flocking back to Easter Road game after game.
    Hibs have got their heart and soul back, and it’s all down to one man.
    I just hope the board realise that, and have put together a plan to keep the club and the team moving forward.
    Because Lenny won’t stand still if Hibs do.
    Last edited by BegbieHSC; 15-04-2017 at 09:53 AM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Funny how two of Lennon's mates are saying virtually the same thing about higher budgets.

Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Funny how two of Lennon's mates are saying virtually the same thing about higher budgets.
    My thoughts too - wonder if it's indicative of ongoing negotiations between Lennon and the board about what the budget should be next season.

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Horrendous article from Hartson. Lennon in no way deserves more money than he's currently on.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    It is, but don't you agree with them, obviously has to be what we can afford though

@hibs.net private member JohnMcM's Avatar
    Fair enough comment in my view.

Beat me to it.

Liked how Hartson sneaked in that his mate deserves a pay rise. Let's see how we do under Lennon in the top flight before speaking to him about a new deal.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    My thoughts exactly

Still - i think they are both right. The fans have absultely dibe whatbwas asked, and (this years) transfer activity was averagevat best

We have alot of players out of contract too, so investment will be needed

Personally I hope that happens and Lennon stays on

I like gis honest approach. "Not good enough" was his assessment this year -

The Board will give any Hibs manager the absolute maximum that they can, it's not about Neil Lennon it's about what's available.

It's actually up to us, the fans, to decide if we back the club rather than the Board.

Albeit, a nice couple of early signings will definitely boost ST sales...

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    Beat me to it.

Liked how Hartson sneaked in that his mate deserves a pay rise. Let's see how we do under Lennon in the top flight before speaking to him about a new deal.
    Missed the other one but it looks like that cat and mouse thing has already started. I hope club do back him because he can certainly get the best out of quality players and that can only be a good thing down ER way and for Scottish football in general.

Intetesting read but the fact that we (Hibs) have our heart and soul back is not down to NL, all credit for that surely lies with Leeann

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by banchoryhibs View Post
    Intetesting read but the fact that we (Hibs) have our heart and soul back is not down to NL, all credit for that surely lies with Leeann
    No question. Her contract needs to come first in the list of priorities

Looks like we're all thinking the same thing here.

Lennon is using his mates in the media to turn the heat up on the Hibs board to back him the way he wants to be backed.

I'm not sure I can see this turning out particularly well.

Just a couple of things:

I would imagine Lennon is probably already the highest paid manager in Hibs history, I wonder what Hartson's idea of a substantial wage increase looks like?

Yes we should obviously be looking to attract better players, or at least ones with the potential to be as good as any we lose, but Hibs will have a limit and ambitious or not any Hibs manager will have to also appreciate that we are not going to be able to compete with either of the ugly sisters or clubs from half way up league one in England and upwards.

To credit Lennon with being the guy who has 'put the heart and soul back into Hibs' is to do a huge disservice to the work of Alan Stubbs and Leeann Dempster ..... failure to get promotion or not, these two had without doubt reignited feeling and enthusiasm for Hibs amongst the supporters long before NL was appointed, Neil has without a doubt tried to build on that, but he is far from solely responsible for it.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    I have to disagree with his comment about us having our heart and soul back being down to Lennon.
    I hope we do give him a decent budget as I don't really think we've backed him that strongly in the transfer market so far.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Surely Lennon was under no illusions about finances available to him at Hibs? The board and fans have backed the team admirably. Our wages etc will be higher than anyone else outside Sevco, Celtic, Hearts and Aberdeen.

I wonder if Hartson feels Lennon has got the best out of what he has available to him now!

No, John. He has contributed but it is mostly down to the work of Dempster, Craig etc. Stubbs also played a part and Lennon will carry us forward in due time.

@hibs.net private member Radium's Avatar
    Is it just me or does supporting the manager 100% simply mean giving him the funds and support structures that the club can afford.

Not sure that Lennon would receive less than 100% support from current board so article seems to be a filler whilst Hartson gets ready to pen something on the Sunday semi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's been my concern since January. If he's not backed financially then he'll be off. I hope the board can reach an agreement with him because I'd love him to have a couple of seasons in the Premiership.

Testimonial Due
    Lennon brought a lot of ordinary players in particularly upfront. They are no scoring and not creating space for the midfield. Thank god fir Jason and the cameo performances from Commons. His Celtic mates helped him and us out big time. Bi Ambrose of course.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    But this season Hibs are in the Scottish Cup semi- finals as a Championship team, so that’s got to be encouraging for everyone at Easter Road.

Did Rip Van Winkle write this?

Left by mutual consent!
    I'm not his mate and I'm saying exactly the same. The punters are ponying up. Expectation are duly raised.

Hartson clearly doesn't have a clue about Hibs and should stick to commenting on Celtic rather than trying to get his mate and his assistants an undeserved pay rise.

"The contract he’s on will need to be renegotiated first of all. Lenny knows his value, and the money he earns next season should be increased significantly from what he’s on now."
    I disagree. Lennon has shown very little this season to suggest he deserves a pay rise, let alone a significant one. If he doesn't like what he's on he can leave and we will bring in another manager.

"Quite simply, Lennon won’t be satisfied with going up next season and surviving. He won’t accept any possibility of being embarrassed when he takes his team to places like Celtic Park, Ibrox and Tynecastle."
    Neither will Hibs fans, John. We've never accepted such a scenario and that won't change next season. As for the chances of us being embarrassed at Tynecastle next season

"Winning one game next season, then drawing one and losing two won’t be anywhere near good enough. That might have been good enough form for Hibs in years gone by, but Lennon has higher standards than that. "
    Hartson again showing he knows nothing about Hibs here. Winning one, drawing one and losing two out of 4 games has never been good enough at Hibs. It'd result in 38 points over a season - relegation form.

"Hibs have got their heart and soul back, and it’s all down to one man."
    Very true, but that man certainly isn't Neil Lennon.

Quote Originally Posted by Superfuddyhibby View Post
    Surely Lennon was under no illusions about finances available to him at Hibs? The board and fans have backed the team admirably. Our wages etc will be higher than anyone else outside Sevco, Celtic, Hearts and Aberdeen.

I wonder if Hartson feels Lennon has got the best out of what he has available to him now!
    Our playing budget will be comparable to Hearts and Aberdeen.

Quote Originally Posted by HibsNutter View Post
    No, John. He has contributed but it is mostly down to the work of Dempster, Craig etc. Stubbs also played a part and Lennon will carry us forward in due time.
    That stuck in my craw.
    Petrie got the stadium and training centre built.
    Dempster got Stubbs in, the fans back onside, brought in Lennon.
    Stubbs won the Scottish Cup.
    = Heart and Soul back.
    Lennon got us promoted unconvincingly in a Championship minus Rangers and Hearts.
    The jury is still out on Lennon.
    Accordingly his contract does not need to be improved at this time and we don't want to buy players we can't afford. Wind your neck in Hartson.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    I suppose that it is a decent enough piece and Harston is well enough regarded and has enough going on professionaly to evidence this as his opinion and not hot air from an ex old firm parasite with a gas bill due. I would like to see an article about Lennon as a manager of Hibs with no mention about what he did at Celtc. And even if SAF was our Manager if he wanted to leave then I would not stand in his way. So fine to say that the club has to commit to Lennon but Lennon has to commit to the club. If we are lucky to have them then IMO I don't see why he is not lucky to have us.

I agree with Hartson and Sutton. I don't think this seasons spending reflected the money the fans were putting into the club.
    Although we were in the championship there was a 60% increase in season ticket sales and money being generated of the back of the cup run. The business we did last summer was dreadful. I don't think the club backed the manager as much as it could have.
    Next season looks like there will again be record amounts of season ticket sales and it's time the club showed an appropriate level of ambition.
    And I'm not asking that we spend money we don't have.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    I agree with Hartson and Sutton. I don't think this seasons spending reflected the money the fans were putting into the club.
    Although we were in the championship there was a 60% increase in season ticket sales and money being generated of the back of the cup run. The business we did last summer was dreadful. I don't think the club backed the manager as much as it could have.
    Next season looks like there will again be record amounts of season ticket sales and it's time the club showed an appropriate level of ambition.
    And I'm not asking that we spend money we don't have.

We spent enough in the Summer and January to get the job done. Any more would have been a waste. A gamble fir sure but it's paid off. Hopefully a bit more than there might have been to consolidate next season.

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    Just a couple of things:

To credit Lennon with being the guy who has 'put the heart and soul back into Hibs' is to do a huge disservice to the work of Alan Stubbs and Leeann Dempster ..... failure to get promotion or not, these two had without doubt reignited feeling and enthusiasm for Hibs amongst the supporters long before NL was appointed, Neil has without a doubt tried to build on that, but he is far from solely responsible for it.
    Couldn't agree more, I want us to keep Lennon, but it's actually Leeann who has put the soul back into the club and it was Stubbs that put the heart back by winning the cup.

@hibs.net private member Jack Hackett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NORTHERNHIBBY View Post
    I suppose that it is a decent enough piece and Harston is well enough regarded and has enough going on professionaly to evidence this as his opinion and not hot air from an ex old firm parasite with a gas bill due. I would like to see an article about Lennon as a manager of Hibs with no mention about what he did at Celtc. And even if SAF was our Manager if he wanted to leave then I would not stand in his way. So fine to say that the club has to commit to Lennon but Lennon has to commit to the club. If we are lucky to have them then IMO I don't see why he is not lucky to have us.

Right club, right time, to get his own career back on track... not that I'm complaining