hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Coaching Staff

First ever video decision

Just occurred during Wellington Phoenix v Sydney FC in Australian A League.

Ref missed clear handball by Phoenix defender, and was subsequently advised by VAR that it was a penalty.

He got the message 56 seconds after the handball occurred, having allowed play to go on.

Before anyone asks had the Phoenix scored in that 56 seconds, the goal would have been disallowed.

No doubt you will see coverage on the telly, but the video ref did its job.
    1-1 draw by the way.

2. Log in to remove the advert

I'm all for improving the game but this has the potential to go so badly wrong. As you said if the other team scored it would be disallowed which could easily happen in just under a minute. Carnage waiting to happen if this reaches big games.

Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Ref missed clear handball by Phoenix defender, and was subsequently advised by VAR that it was a penalty.

He got the message 56 seconds after the handball occurred, having allowed play to go on.

Before anyone asks had the Phoenix scored in that 56 seconds, the goal would have been disallowed.

1-1 draw by the way.
    Just imagine the above scenario in a Rangers/Celtic game. If a goal IS scored and then disallowed to go back for a penalty. It would be utter carnage.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by lugz View Post
    I'm all for improving the game but this has the potential to go so badly wrong. As you said if the other team scored it would be disallowed which could easily happen in just under a minute. Carnage waiting to happen if this reaches big games.
    Dunno what exactly is a 'big' game...this game was an officially sanctioned FIFA game in a country's main competition.

Not a trial..trial period is over.

I would imagine that FIFA will seek to roll it out worldwide soon.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by mim View Post
    Just imagine the above scenario in a Rangers/Celtic game. If a goal IS scored and then disallowed to go back for a penalty. It would be utter carnage.
    Couldn't give a flying fig about old firm. More worried how it would affect us with referee decisions we get.

Coaching Staff
    Personally, I wouldcLOVE to see that

If a goal is disallowed because the game is called back to reverse an incorrect decision then surely that's a good thing?
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member
    I always think referees in rugby bottle a decision and refer to the video referees too often.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    If a goal is disallowed because the game is called back to reverse an incorrect decision then surely that's a good thing?
    Leigh Griffiths disallowed free kick against Hearts would have been given a few years ago....

Dunno what exactly is a 'big' game...this game was an officially sanctioned FIFA game in a country's main competition.

Not a trial..trial period is over.

I would imagine that FIFA will seek to roll it out worldwide soon.
    Apologies I wasn't meaning to sound demeaning to the game, I just meant like a derby match or a cup final etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    It's a good thing of course it's just how fans will react to it. There's no reasoning with some fans.

Why would it be carnage?

@hibs.net private member Galahibby's Avatar
    What would happen if someone was booked or sent off in the 56 seconds? Is that deemed to have not happened or would it still stand?

56 seconds is a long time to relay a message given you said it was a clear hand ball.

It depends what you consider to be carnage.

Domestic violence spikes and the media degenerate into a frothing mess every time there's an Old Firm anyway. If there's a contentious decision then these things increase.

I think the potential for carnage would be reduced if there was greater chance of arriving at the correct decisions, and if everyone knew in advance that theoretical situation described above was a possibility.

Knowing Scottish refs, they'd probably view video evidence in an Old Firm game and decide to send of Marvin Bartley for Hibs anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    Couldn't give a flying fig about old firm. More worried how it would affect us with referee decisions we get.
    Reckon it would expose them for the incompetents / cheats that they are!

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    I always think referees in rugby bottle a decision and refer to the video referees too often.
    To be fair, in rugby there are often loads of bodies over the ball etc. Video referral seems well established, although it should also be said that the game is less fluid and free flowing than football.

Video ref would gave saved us three sendings off this season.

I watched the game and it was farcical. I guarantee the majority of fans will not like it.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post
    I watched the game and it was farcical. I guarantee the majority of fans will not like it.
    Not that you are biased at all....

But it was a penalty and the ref missed it.

@hibs.net private member & Biggest, Funniest Slaver on hibs.net 2012 Pedantic_Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post

Domestic violence spikes and the media degenerate into a frothing mess every time there's an Old Firm anyway. If there's a contentious decision then these things increase.

I think the potential for carnage would be reduced if there was greater chance of arriving at the correct decisions, and if everyone knew in advance that theoretical situation described above was a possibility.

Knowing Scottish refs, they'd probably view video evidence in an Old Firm game and decide to send of Marvin Bartley for Hibs anyway.
    "Play for the name on the front of the jersey and the supporters will remember the name on the back"

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
    56 seconds is a long time to relay a message given you said it was a clear hand ball.
    I agree, and I think the time taken will no doubt improve as it goes along.

Basically it was a cross with a few players going for it and the Phoenix defender had his hand above his head and hand balled it.

I imagine the assistant video hug replayed it to confirm it WA/ what he thought he saw and that's what took the time....dunno though.

Not that you are biased at all....

But it was a penalty and the ref missed it.
    All part of the game IMO.

It does not fit in football.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post

Funnily enough the rules as they stand don't allow the VAR to review a red card situation, but do allow it to be used for a yellow card situation, including the second yellow, which would obviously lead to a red.

I think they need to look at this.

On the subject of the Old Firm, I remember when the no pass back to the keeper rule came in and a Hibs player headed the ball back to our keeper resulting in the Huns supporters having near apoplexy...the commentator pointed out that they obviously didn't understand the rule as you were allowed to head the ball back..

It will take them a while to come to terms with any rule change I reckon....

The France Spain friendly had a video ref. France had a goal correctly ruled off at what would have been 1-1 and Spain correctly had an "offside" goal overruled to make it 2-0 so it did it's job. It does kill the excitement of scoring so they need to make it better by having a scoreboard that says Goal or No Goal like in Rugby League

Coaching Staff

It does not fit in football.
    I'm not necessarily in disagreement with you, but think it is inevitable that it will be introduced world wide, subject to TV resources.

In a league where Hibs have played without a fourth official being able to be supplied, don't see how it could come down to the Championship in Scotland to be honest.

Surely when the handball happened their was a massive appeal for handball? And if so the referee should stop the games if he's not sure and go upstairs. I don't think a game should be pulled back 1 minute to something the ref missed.

Works well in rugby league and cricket. I like the idea of the video ref just watching the game and if he sees something stops it and awards the correct decision.

No one can complain if the correct outcome is reached?
    Cougars!!!

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    As are biased referees who deliberately cheat, diving players and those who feign being elbowed and head butted.

Not only will referees decisions be improved by video technology, much of the above will stop too.

It's a perfect fit for football.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    Surely when the handball happened their was a massive appeal for handball? And if so the referee should stop the games if he's not sure and go upstairs. I don't think a game should be pulled back 1 minute to something the ref missed.
    There was a massive appeal by the Sydney FC players, as you would expect whether there was a video ref or no video ref.

Rules mean that players cannot request it be referred to the video ref and if they do, they'll get a yellow card.

Didn't stop them though..although nobody got booked.

I guess the ref WAS sure...as I say he just missed it and waved play on.....until he got the advice over his earpiece .

First Team Regular ruthven_raiders's Avatar

1-1 draw by the way.
    What would have happened if Sydney had scored?