hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member BigKev's Avatar

BT Sport superdeal for Scottish football

According to the Daily Mail BT Sport are going to offer a decent deal for exclusive rights to Scottish games. More than the £31 million offered by Setanta.

Personally prefer their coverage to the bland offering from Sky.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4318522/BT-Sport-ready-smash-record-secure-SPFL-TV-rights.html

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by BigKev View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    According to the Daily Mail BT Sport are going to offer a decent deal for exclusive rights to Scottish games. More than the £31 million offered by Setanta.

Personally prefer their coverage to the bland offering from Sky.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4318522/BT-Sport-ready-smash-record-secure-SPFL-TV-rights.html
    Can you copy and paste the article here? Don't want to visit the daily mail website.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Hopefully this starts a bidding war between them and Sky.

@hibs.net private member BigKev's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_Franck View Post
    Can you copy and paste the article here? Don't want to visit the daily mail website.
    Here you go 👍

BT Sport are ready to offer the SPFL their biggest-ever broadcasting deal in return for exclusive rights to Scottish football.

BT and Sky Sports currently pay around £21million a year to share 60 live SPFL games, while BT also have exclusive rights to the Betfred League Cup.

However, the telecoms giant are keen to secure the rights to Rangers and Celtic games and 60 live Premiership fixtures a season, and have launched a charm offensive to persuade club chairmen they can go it alone.

And SPFL sources believe they will shatter the previous record deal worth £31m a season - which was signed with Setanta in 2008 - to get their way.

BT Sport last week signed a mammoth £1.2billion three-year deal to renew coverage of the UEFA Champions League and Europa League.

By comparison, the sums under discussion for Scottish football represent a drop in the ocean.

But a series of formal and informal discussions between the two sides began in mid-January when chairmen and chief executives joined the SPFL’s Ralph Topping and Neil Doncaster in London for talks with BT executives.

SPFL figures have also attended a presentation at Twickenham, home of English rugby, to gauge the impact the broadcaster’s coverage of the Aviva Premiership has had on match attendances and viewing figures. Figures show the former rose by 10 per cent and the latter by 13 per cent.

The sums shared between clubs for broadcasting rights took a huge dent when Setanta’s UK operation collapsed in 2009.

Forced to do a knockdown deal with Sky and ESPN worth half the value of the previous deal, the loss of the regular Rangers-Celtic fixture in 2012 further diminished the product’s value in the eyes of broadcasters.

With Old Firm games back on the menu, however, BT Sport have used a series of formal and informal early discussions to woo SPFL figures and edge ahead of rivals Sky in the negotiating process.

‘It will all come down to numbers,’ an SPFL source told Sportsmail. ‘There is a value in Scottish football and BT Sport appreciate that. The matter should move forward next year.’

As part of the new Champions League deal, BT Sport will release free clips and weekly highlights. A similar package is on offer to the SPFL.

Sky retain rights to the William Hill Scottish Cup until next year and will hold their own discussions with SPFL chairmen in the coming months.
    Last edited by BigKev; 16-03-2017 at 06:17 AM.

It's all about the ugly sisters of course, nothing else matters.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Sportsmania have offered £25 and a free firestick for every club.

Just for the ****s and giggles I hope this happens.........then the Rangers die again

I wonder with talk of Sevco being in distress again that this isn't a stitch up exercise between Donkeykong and the equally incompetent Toppers getting in early threats of Sevco must stay in the top league no matter what happens to them or what they do.

ARMAGEDDON.
    Space to let

First Team Regular Salt N Sauzee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HIBERNIAN-0762 View Post

Apart from the 60 other live games a season.....

Quote Originally Posted by HIBERNIAN-0762 View Post

Whether we like it or not it's the Old Firm fixtures that most attract the TV companies.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I wonder with talk of Sevco being in distress again that this isn't a stitch up exercise between Donkeykong and the equally incompetent Toppers getting in early threats of Sevco must stay in the top league no matter what happens to them or what they do.

ARMAGEDDON.
    Or, and here's a tip, Doncaster, don't make the deal dependent on both OF Clubs (whatever their guise) being in the Premier League of the SPFL.

J

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    Prepare for the complaints about the crazy kick off times.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristolhibby View Post
    Or, and here's a tip, Doncaster, don't make the deal dependent on both OF Clubs (whatever their guise) being in the Premier League of the SPFL.

J
    I can't see anyway they could legally agree to a deal that guarantees both the old firm in the top flight. They could make promises that they'll ensure Rangers (and Celtic) run their business operations tightly to avoid the same situation happening again but if a club went down through bad results or was liquidated and had to resubmit their application for a league place they'd have no way they could allow them to stay up because of a TV deal.

Most likely scenario is that the value of the deal drops without the old firm matches but to be honest I think this move is more about taking football away from sky rather than being desperate for old firm games so I'm not sure that's the biggest issue, it will be in the eyes of the papers though.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Lemme guess, 75% prize money for the teams finishing in the top two of the Premiership, with the other 10 scrambling around for the remaining 25%?

Sorry, that's unrealistic - 75% for the top two highest placed teams from Glasgow. Whose names aren't Partick Thistle.

First Team Regular Salt N Sauzee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop Hibee View Post
    Prepare for the complaints about the crazy kick off times.
    Even more Friday night games sound good to me.

@hibs.net private member GlesgaeHibby's Avatar
    Great news if true. BT Sports coverage of Scottish football is infinitely better than SKY's. If this means the TV pot is also going to increase from £21m to over £31m then that is great news for Scottish football. Still very much small fry compared to England and Champions league money but that is a significant increase in investment.

Multiplying the current deal by 1.5 would give the team that finished 12th in the Premiership an additional 500k and the winners an extra £1.4m.

Current deal runs until end of 2019/20 season though, so could be a while before we see any extra cash.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    If this can trigger a bidding war the big companies might offer beads AND mirrors this time.

Doncaster and his cronies will accept and claim it's a victory.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Quote Originally Posted by ian cruise View Post
    I can't see anyway they could legally agree to a deal that guarantees both the old firm in the top flight. They could make promises that they'll ensure Rangers (and Celtic) run their business operations tightly to avoid the same situation happening again but if a club went down through bad results or was liquidated and had to resubmit their application for a league place they'd have no way they could allow them to stay up because of a TV deal.

Most likely scenario is that the value of the deal drops without the old firm matches but to be honest I think this move is more about taking football away from sky rather than being desperate for old firm games so I'm not sure that's the biggest issue, it will be in the eyes of the papers though.
    Over thinking this. They give BT options to end agreement if criteria are met, or BT can terminate for breach. Many ways to do this legally.

Hope its true ..the problem folk seem to have about it being all about the big glesgae two is not a surprise and not new so why the ..big issue , the important thing is that the financial distribution isn't too imbalanced in their favour if that is worked through fairly then its all good for Scottish football !!
    No matter what price, that fixture will always be screened ...maybe just maybe they are also looking at us potential for us going up and our derby back on the agenda !! Just a thought .

Won't matter as we'll never see any of it. Would be great for the game if the money was distributed the same way as it is in England (i.e. fairly).

@hibs.net private member
    I may be wrong but did the clubs not get together before Satanta got involved and threaten a breakaway league without Rangers and Celtic and refused to sign deal with Sky? If I'm correct this was to stop the top two getting the majority of the money and the rest scrapping for the rest.

The ugly sisters threatened everything towards the other clubs but they never backed down, Satanta offered a new deal was signed by all clubs and was fairly distributed or am I just imagining this?

GGTTH

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RagingReality View Post
    Lemme guess, 75% prize money for the teams finishing in the top two of the Premiership, with the other 10 scrambling around for the remaining 25%?

Sorry, that's unrealistic - 75% for the top two highest placed teams from Glasgow. Whose names aren't Partick Thistle.
    Scottish Premiership revenue distribution for 2015/16

Position/Totalpayment

1 £2,827,400
    2 £2,025,600
    3 £1,740,750
    4 £1,529,750
    5 £1,424,250
    6 £1,318,750
    7 £1,213,250
    8 £1,160,500
    9 £1,107,750
    10 £1,055,000
    11 £1,002,250
    12 £949,500
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Won't matter as we'll never see any of it. Would be great for the game if the money was distributed the same way as it is in England (i.e. fairly).
    See my post above.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Even if the cake is still divided up unevenly, a bigger cake for everyone looks like a good thing to me. Also, I've got bt sport for free through my phone contract so I'm all for it

Will never happen but I'd love to see the SPFL start their own subscription based service.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    sounds good, I was looking to drop BT in the summer but if this comes to fruition it will be Sky getting the boot instead.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    I don't subscribe to any televised sport, but as far as live fixtures go, BT's Friday night berth is my preferred option over Saturday and Sunday noon kick offs, so would be happy to see BT win the rights, and obviously an improved financial deal would be welcomed as well.

i've been very critical of thos running our game for years, but if they can get us a better financial package then great. BT, imo offer better slots - i love friday night games as opposed to a Sunday at midday.

Seems too good to be true though and there will no doubt be some clause or package that weighs heavily towards the bigot brothers but if we have more money in the country then that can only be a good thing for all clubs.

Now we just need to evenly distribute the gate receipts and that will stop clubs like Aberdeen losing their better players (Pawlett) to teams struggling in league one down south (MK Dons)

Future is looking brighter than it has for a long time

Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    Whether we like it or not it's the Old Firm fixtures that most attract the TV companies.
    Correct. Anytime the TV put on Dundee v Hamilton etc there are loads of posts on here saying who wants to watch that s***e.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    See my post above.
    So, 1st gets 3x what 12th gets. In England the difference is around 50% roughly.