hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left by mutual consent!

(NHC) Lukaku greed?

£140k a week five year deal snubbed at toffees. Sums up why I'm not that interested in EPL anymore. Too many foreign mercs like this guy.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39273691

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    To many British ones 2. Rooney & co

Quote Originally Posted by JackLadd View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    £140k a week five year deal snubbed at toffees. Sums up why I'm not that interested in EPL anymore. Too many foreign mercs like this guy.

He's rejected it because he isn't happy that Everton want a 90m buy out clause. Not because the wages aren't high enough.

Quote Originally Posted by gorgiegreens View Post
    To many British ones 2. Rooney & co
    Nah mate. It's just the foreigns.

No good proper British player would do that.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post

Are you serious?

Quote Originally Posted by Superfuddyhibby View Post
    Are you serious?
    No. Quite the opposite.

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    Nothing against the Toffees but he wants to go somewhere he'll win medals as well as earning a packet. As for English players being less money grabbing than 'foreigners', rubbish.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Why do you say greed?

I would say he knows he's going to win bolt all with Everton and wants to go somewhere where he will. He's already given them 4 years and is 24 in a month or so. Nows the time to move.

Knowing his agent, he's likely got Europes top clubs already lined up.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: calhill19
    It's the release clause, not greed.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee-87
    He has the potential to play for a top top club and win trophies. If I was to pick an English team to support it would Everton but I'm not suprised he rejected it. Will leave for a tidy sum in the summer

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    No matter where in the world follow the money and you'll see some pretty distasteful behaviour just seems to attract the wrong sorts here and there.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Raheem Sterling.

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Nick T Muir
    I am also in the camp that thinks this is simply ambition. He could get in to any PL team not to mention a few top European clubs. He's not going to stay at Everton especially when they are putting clauses in that would put suitors off.

Unlikely to happen but would love him at Liverpool.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    I'll play for £30k p.a and I'm not bothered about winning trophies or sell on clauses.
    Come and get me Everton.

When you talk about greed at Everton I think about all the money they take in year after year, hundreds of millions of pounds, and yet still house their fans in an old wooden stand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 18Hibee75 View Post
    Raheem Sterling.
    Who left Liverpool to win trophies for much the same reason as Lukaku wants to leave Everton.

Why did John McGinn leave St Mirren? Why did Luis Suarez leave Liverpool? Why did Cristiano Renaldo leave Manchester United? Why did Scott Brown leave Hibs?

Players want to better themselves and play to their full potential. I know that some (delusional) Liverpool fans believe they are the biggest club on the planet and that no-one would ever want to leave them other than 'greed' but it isn't bourne out by the facts or their record over the past ten years.

Liverpool have one of the best coaches in the world but they will not win anything major as long as the transfer committee and the 'moneyball' transfer policy operates.

American owners are bad news for football clubs. Manchester United, Liverpool, and Arsenal provide proof of this.

Left by mutual consent!
    Sterling is a bandit surely, much like cAshley Cole was?

Lukaku is probably going to replace Costa at Chelsea, another man who wants trophies but can't wait to cash out in China. It's all about CL and trophies see.

3 months of those wages is what we were offered for JC 🙄

Left by mutual consent!
    On British players all being as bad. You look at Harry Kane, who in my view is possibly better than Lukaku but on a fraction of the 140k a week Lukaku just snubbed, but happy to stay at Tottenham and signed a new deal last season. Maybe Tottenham are a better side that Everton you can argue. London glamour and all that.

Harry Kane is not better than lukaku. He's also on c. 100,000 a week which isn't exactly "a fraction" of what lukaku turned down fgs.

Left by mutual consent!
    Harry Kane is not better than lukaku. He's also on c. 100,000 a week which isn't exactly "a fraction" of what lukaku turned down fgs.

Kane's 100 mins a goal compared to Lukaku's 125 mins, both epl 19 goals.

I see Kane signed an improved deal in December to 100k. The most Tottenham will pay any player.
    Last edited by JackLadd; 14-03-2017 at 08:09 PM.

Left by mutual consent!
    It sums up a talented individual in a time-limited occupation wanting the best deal for themselves and their family . One would presume if a new flash employer offered even a £1k increase per month on our wages we would all refuse, because, principles... Cancel Sky read Marx

Lukaku is a beast of a player. He doesn't do much a lot of the time but if he gets to run at a defence they can't handle him. I can see him succeeding Costa at Chelsea but not fitting in at Barca or Real.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    It appears there is a ceiling here on wages that players should accept, that overrides ambition?

I think thats bollox, if i was offered £180k a week to play at Everton, or £180k a week to play for Man U or Arsenal or Spurs or any of the big clubs in Spain, i'd not sign on again for Everton without a get out clause.

The game has changed way more than we could ever imagine, and money while obviously a big issue, is not now the main factor in whether players sign new contracts in England.

Who apart from local lads would sign another contract for the likes of Everton or Liverpool if they could get the same money but play for a team that could win trophies?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    I'll play for £30k p.a and I'm not bothered about winning trophies or sell on clauses.
    Come and get me Everton.
    Ambitionless cheapskate.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    It appears there is a ceiling here on wages that players should accept, that overrides ambition?

I think thats bollox, if i was offered £180k a week to play at Everton, or £180k a week to play for Man U or Arsenal or Spurs or any of the big clubs in Spain, i'd not sign on again for Everton without a get out clause.

The game has changed way more than we could ever imagine, and money while obviously a big issue, is not now the main factor in whether players sign new contracts in England.

Who apart from local lads would sign another contract for the likes of Everton or Liverpool if they could get the same money but play for a team that could win trophies?

True, but the irony is that Everton might now be able to compete for trophies for the first time in a long time.

But of course they need to hold onto their best players to do that.

Mind you, if Koeman gets offered the Barca job he will be off too.
    Last edited by jacomo; 15-03-2017 at 07:27 AM.

Hes a brilliant young international striker who wants to showcase what he has on the biggest stage, i.e, the Champions league. Hes stated this countless times.

Also, hes rejected it because Everton want to put a ridiculous buy out clause in his contract.

Why do people look at something and always interpret it as a negative? Footballers dont have long careers, he wants to be at the top, he has ambitions and he wants to make good money whilst he does it. Hows it greed? How much money would he make say Man Utd if he goes there and helps win them the title next year? He would be PRICELESS.

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    When you talk about greed at Everton I think about all the money they take in year after year, hundreds of millions of pounds, and yet still house their fans in an old wooden stand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You do realise Everton are working hard to get a new stadium agreed and built?

@hibs.net private member Dan Sarf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    Come and get me Everton.

I'll play for £25k pa with a sell-on clause of ten shillings. And I'll wash the shirts. Take it or leave it.

Left by mutual consent!

Too many British mercs who will soon be foreign up here.