hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left by mutual consent!

Danny Lennon on Tommy Craig

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.co...nnon-1-4387509

Hard-hitting stuff from Lennon and it must be safe to assume these guys no longer speak to each other. I remember Craig in his second spell with Hibs alongside John Collins and that weird press conference where he was feeding JC his lines while pretending to eat a pear!

Craig was a fine midfielder in his playing days but he sounds like a Maurice Malpas-style old-school coach who can't relate to the players of today.

I did think at the time that Lennon had been a bit harshly treated at St Mirren.

2. Log in to remove the advert

I heard it last night. Great interview and some controversial insights. Craig seemed to have the trust of the board and went behind Danny's back to undermine the new methods he was introducing. Also good to hear Steven Thompson's view of things. Hopefully Danny will be back in the game soon.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Absolutely everyone said as soon as Craig was given the managers job that they'd be relegated. Sacking Lennon and giving the job to Craig has to go down as one of the worst decisions in recent history.

United we stand here....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Hard-hitting stuff from Lennon and it must be safe to assume these guys no longer speak to each other. I remember Craig in his second spell with Hibs alongside John Collins and that weird press conference where he was feeding JC his lines while pretending to eat a pear!

Craig was a fine midfielder in his playing days but he sounds like a Maurice Malpas-style old-school coach who can't relate to the players of today.

I did think at the time that Lennon had been a bit harshly treated at St Mirren.
    I know that the signings of Brian ( unseen work ) Kerr & Alan ( Arthur Duncan on a motorbike ) O'Brien were 100% down to Tommy Craig. As a result, given the sterling service Hibs received from these 2 fine servants, I'm sure Danny L's criticism of TC is purely down to jealousy & bitterness!

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    I know Collins got the brunt of the players moans at Hibs, wonder what part Craig played in this

Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    I heard it last night. Great interview and some controversial insights. Craig seemed to have the trust of the board and went behind Danny's back to undermine the new methods he was introducing. Also good to hear Steven Thompson's view of things. Hopefully Danny will be back in the game soon.
    What did he say?

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Absolutely everyone said as soon as Craig was given the managers job that they'd be relegated. Sacking Lennon and giving the job to Craig has to go down as one of the worst decisions in recent history.
    The day the announcement was made I think just about every fan in Scotland was left scratching their heads .... its not that often that so many people get the chance to say 'we told you so' .... it was bad enough binning Lennon months after he had won them a trophy, replacing him with Craig was laughable.

Look at St Mirren now .... nobody knows better than us that bad decisions in the board room can lead to disaster at a club, in our case it was a slow steady decline, St Mirren managed it with one hasty and extremely stupid decision.

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    The day the announcement was made I think just about every fan in Scotland was left scratching their heads .... its not that often that so many people get the chance to say 'we told you so' .... it was bad enough binning Lennon months after he had won them a trophy, replacing him with Craig was laughable.

Look at St Mirren now .... nobody knows better than us that bad decisions in the board room can lead to disaster at a club, in our case it was a slow steady decline, St Mirren managed it with one hasty and extremely stupid decision.
    There's no doubt it was a very poor decision.

It seems to me that Craig is a manipulative and devious individual though and I suspect the board there have been hoodwinked by him.

He's exactly the kind of dinosaur we need to purge from the Scottish game.

Funny how he was the guy that Collins got on board to help him. Collins clearly has something about him but has always had flaws. A better choice of assistant might have seen Collins have the kind of management career that he really should have as he has excellent ideas. Collins' progressive thinking and ambition seem at odds with the appointment of Tommy Craig.

One of the luckiest coaches around jobs for the boys Tommy Craig hope Danny Lennon can get back in game

I'd be happy to see Danny Lennon as the Hibs manager one day.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post

When you look at their decline since Lennon left you have to wonder how good a manager Lennon was to achieve what he did. It's surprising he's not had a decent job since then.

United we stand here....

Is their any more desperate sound in Scottish football, then a club chairman shouting to his secretary "get me Tommy Craig on the line."

Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    Is their any more desperate sound in Scottish football, then a club chairman shouting to his secretary "get me Tommy Craig on the line."
    How about "I hear Butcher and Malpas are available. Let's get them in for an interview and hear what they have to say".

Or

"Has anyone here worked with this Stuart Baxter chap before?"

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Just listened to this. Lennon comes across very well

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by 3pm View Post
    What did he say?
    Said that Tommy Craig was sniping about behind Lennons back, undermined him and when Lennon was leading a training session Craig would go a wander round the training ground in a huff.

Quote Originally Posted by 3pm View Post
    What did he say?
    Sorry bud. Been away all day but Danderhall has summarised it nicely. Thompson also said that Craig used to come out with the same phrases and chat time after time and the players used to laugh about it and try to guess when he would come out with certain phrases. He also said his training drills were very repetitive.

Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post

I liked Danny Lennon and always thought Tommy Craig was extremely lucky to "make it". As for St Midden, they treated DL terribly and after they appointed Tommy Craig thought they deserve everything that came their way!!
    Last edited by Is It On....; 09-03-2017 at 07:53 PM.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    Sorry bud. Been away all day but Danderhall has summarised it nicely. Thompson also said that Craig used to come out with the same phrases and chat time after time and the players used to laugh about it and try to guess when he would come out with certain phrases. He also said his training drills were very repetitive.

Baffling that he was JC's assistant here.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quite surprised Lennon didn't get the Raith job.

I could have sworn that Austin MacPhee played for Hearts, until I saw his Wiki page. Did they have a player with a similar name?

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AND An E View Post
    I could have sworn that Austin MacPhee played for Hearts, until I saw his Wiki page. Did they have a player with a similar name?

i vaguely remember an austin McCann ?
    Last edited by cabbageandribs1875; 09-03-2017 at 11:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    That's the boy.

@hibs.net private member givescotlandfreedom's Avatar
    As mentioned I couldn't fathom how Danny Lennon lost his job. Kept them in the top league with an 11 point cushion and won them their first trophy in 26 years. What on earth more did they want from him?

@hibs.net private member givescotlandfreedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AND An E View Post
    That's the boy.
    Gash except for a sole wonder strike in a win for them against Celtc I believe.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    Gold Member - the Dutch fella? ;)
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by givescotlandfreedom View Post
    As mentioned I couldn't fathom how Danny Lennon lost his job. Kept them in the top league with an 11 point cushion and won them their first trophy in 26 years. What on earth more did they want from him?
    Also if they'd beaten Hearts on the last day of the season they would have achieved their record ever SPL finish.

Judging by the tone of his interview i got the impression Craig had a big influence on his downfall

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    I remember Chick Young on the radio at the time saying that he had no problem with the decision to sack Danny as the club could do better with someone else in charge. He was absolutely slaughtered by the rest of the pundits. Good old Chick.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    John Collins brought him in as his assistant, probably up there with with Alan O'Brien as his worst signing.

If this was the type of information Collins was getting from him, its no wonder the players he brought to the club were nowhere near as good as the ones who were leaving?

Was the period in question also the time when John McGinn was "speared"?

If so, this must have been one of the worst periods for self-inflicted damage in Scottish football history.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    John Collins brought him in as his assistant, probably up there with with Alan O'Brien as his worst signing.

If this was the type of information Collins was getting from him, its no wonder the players he brought to the club were nowhere near as good as the ones who were leaving?
    The complaints JC got about training being repetitive etc were made by Thompson on the radio as well. Sounds like JCs biggest mistake was asking Craig to be his assistant.