hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Not "Born a Hibee" but how I "Became a Hibee"

We have all encountered turning points. Moments that will affect the course of our lives. Whether we recognise those moments, or not, is another matter. I'm not sure I fully recognised the day I became a Hibs fan. It was mid 1970s, I must have been around 7 or 8 years old and living in Corstorphine. I remember one Saturday being in the village with my Mum. For good behaviour she gave me five pounds and I was let loose in Thompsons Sports Shop while she got the messages. I asked the lady in the shop for a Football top - "what top would you like, who is your team"? she asked. Seeing that I was struggling for an answer she gave me a top that was green with white sleeves. I guess that must have been the moment I "became a Hibee".

In a life that's prone to much change your Football team can be the one constant. Throughout life's journey jobs come and go, partners come and go, you will lose touch with dear friends and family too will fade away. Your Football team will never leave you. Yes, your favourite player will move on or retire, a popular manager will move on and, god forbid, your stadium might be torn down and relocated. But the club will always be there. We all need someone to be there for us in life. Who says it can't be a Football club!

To love a Football Club you must first love the game itself. A few years ago whilst working in Kandahar, Afghanistan I was invited by a teacher to a local boys school so the boys could practise their English and generally just mix with a westerner. The morning was pleasant enough, however, they eyed me suspiciously throughout and I never really got the feeling that I had connected. The next again week I returned with a football (not that easy to find in south Afghanistan I can tell you) wearing my Hibs top. On a bit of waste ground and with pashminas for goalposts I kicked the ball high into the air. Cue bedlam and the most chaotic game of football I have ever experienced (sandals flying through the air can make playing Football with Afghans particularly dangerous). It is said that Football's greatest gift is its ability to bring together people from vastly different backgrounds and cultures. It's still the only sport that can reach all four corners of the globe, break down barriers and cut across the lines of racial and ethnic divides. The morning ended with high-fives and smiles. We had found common ground. That morning reminded me of why I loved the game. We had connected through Football and I still smile to this day thinking of the Hibs top I gave to one of the young boys. Is he still wearing it today as he plays with his friends in the suburbs of Kandahar?

Younger fans should know that as you get older you tend to get better at putting things into perspective, understanding what's really important in life. A bad result will no longer be the end of the world. You will grow to learn that following a football club is not just about match day. It's about a sense of belonging. Being a part of something special with people who feel the same way as you. Julie's story touched on the notion of "family" and that as Hibs fans we are all connected. It's true. You might not know the name of the person sitting beside you on match day, however, you know that they will feel the same joy when we win, or same disappointment when we lose. Ultimately, it's that sense of belonging that bring many of us back, year after year, to Easter Road. We all belong to something that is bigger than us. Something that will outlast all of us. And in a way it is strangely comforting to know that our Football Club will continue long after we have each moved on.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by canuckhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We have all encountered turning points. Moments that will affect the course of our lives. Whether we recognise those moments, or not, is another matter. I'm not sure I fully recognised the day I became a Hibs fan. It was mid 1970s, I must have been around 7 or 8 years old and living in Corstorphine. I remember one Saturday being in the village with my Mum. For good behaviour she gave me five pounds and I was let loose in Thompsons Sports Shop while she got the messages. I asked the lady in the shop for a Football top - "what top would you like, who is your team"? she asked. Seeing that I was struggling for an answer she gave me a top that was green with white sleeves. I guess that must have been the moment I "became a Hibee".

In a life that's prone to much change your Football team can be the one constant. Throughout life's journey jobs come and go, partners come and go, you will lose touch with dear friends and family too will fade away. Your Football team will never leave you. Yes, your favourite player will move on or retire, a popular manager will move on and, god forbid, your stadium might be torn down and relocated. But the club will always be there. We all need someone to be there for us in life. Who says it can't be a Football club!

To love a Football Club you must first love the game itself. A few years ago whilst working in Kandahar, Afghanistan I was invited by a teacher to a local boys school so the boys could practise their English and generally just mix with a westerner. The morning was pleasant enough, however, they eyed me suspiciously throughout and I never really got the feeling that I had connected. The next again week I returned with a football (not that easy to find in south Afghanistan I can tell you) wearing my Hibs top. On a bit of waste ground and with pashminas for goalposts I kicked the ball high into the air. Cue bedlam and the most chaotic game of football I have ever experienced (sandals flying through the air can make playing Football with Afghans particularly dangerous). It is said that Football's greatest gift is its ability to bring together people from vastly different backgrounds and cultures. It's still the only sport that can reach all four corners of the globe, break down barriers and cut across the lines of racial and ethnic divides. The morning ended with high-fives and smiles. We had found common ground. That morning reminded me of why I loved the game. We had connected through Football and I still smile to this day thinking of the Hibs top I gave to one of the young boys. Is he still wearing it today as he plays with his friends in the suburbs of Kandahar?

Younger fans should know that as you get older you tend to get better at putting things into perspective, understanding what's really important in life. A bad result will no longer be the end of the world. You will grow to learn that following a football club is not just about match day. It's about a sense of belonging. Being a part of something special with people who feel the same way as you. Julie's story touched on the notion of "family" and that as Hibs fans we are all connected. It's true. You might not know the name of the person sitting beside you on match day, however, you know that they will feel the same joy when we win, or same disappointment when we lose. Ultimately, it's that sense of belonging that bring many of us back, year after year, to Easter Road. We all belong to something that is bigger than us. Something that will outlast all of us. And in a way it is strangely comforting to know that our Football Club will continue long after we have each moved on.
    What a random, but very good post!!!

A very good 2nd post

@hibs.net private member AgentDaleCooper's Avatar
    i became a hibs fan by kicking a football about with my neighbour, who was (and still is!) a good hibby. nothing that unusual or glamorous or sentimental there.

the first moment i remember knowing i was a hibee though...

my uncle had taken me to hunpox, trying to turn my into a blue nose. it was a great game, saw gascoigne score an amazing free kick against aberdeen, and brian laudrup got the other one. he forked out a fortune on rangers paraphernalia, and i had a great day out, my first football match at the age of 8. he asked me on the way home 'so, are you a rangers fan?' - i considered this question, and in total honest innocence replied 'no, i think i support hibs'.

he just about crashed the car

Fantastic post
    This is how it feels

@hibs.net private member

Lovely post. Thanks for sharing.

that Sir, or Madam is one of the most refreshing posts I have read in years

First Team Breakthrough
    I was 9 when my Dad a Hibby passed away ,my brother and sister were jambo's as well as my mother. I thought Hibs are team for me and with a mate I started going to games standing in the cow shed and sometimes the terracing.
    My mate persuaded me to start going to away games and said he heard of a bus we might get on Leaving from the Artisan pub. Little did we know it picked up from some pub named the Torino as well. So at 11 year old me and my mate traveled on the Torino bus for at least three seasons getting an education second to none.
    Great days but I prefer the quieter life now 40 years later.

To the Canuck or Canadian, I have mentioned this before: ...... and been slaughtered by my 2 best mates at times for it, and that is......I was brought up in a mining village (newcraighall) next to Edin. It was Willie Bauld country, but mainly Celtic or Rangers, as most pit villages were or still are. My Da was a Hibbie but was working in mining abroad so never had the chance to take me to see the Hibees. I went with the flow and thought I was a Rangers fan, until the age of 13. all my school mates were Hibbies at Porty school as they were from Magdalene and Bingham and a few from Niddrie I went to one game with them versus Rangers and Hibs won 3-1. next week we were on a train to see HFC against Dundee. been watchin' Hibernian for 50 years, this year.

Totally remember Thomson sports.

Quote Originally Posted by swordin3 View Post
    I was 9 when my Dad a Hibby passed away ,my brother and sister were jambo's as well as my mother. I thought Hibs are team for me and with a mate I started going to games standing in the cow shed and sometimes the terracing.
    My mate persuaded me to start going to away games and said he heard of a bus we might get on Leaving from the Artisan pub. Little did we know it picked up from some pub named the Torino as well. So at 11 year old me and my mate traveled on the Torino bus for at least three seasons getting an education second to none.
    Great days but I prefer the quieter life now 40 years later.
    TO-REEN-OH ! aye, that wiz a bus and a half

That's a far better post than we're used to on here. A different perspective. Well done

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Great post, cracking story that makes you think a bit.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Quote Originally Posted by Mainstandman View Post
    Certainly do too. Used to get all my Hibs stuff from the shop in Mussie. In fact my Auld man told me a story about a neighbour who was Hibs daft, asked his Ma to get a new scarf at Thomsons in Musselburgh. she came hame with a hearts scarf and said : I just got you that, cos they had nae Hibs yins left. he told her to take it back but she said they don't take things back. his response was ..tell them its far too tight. the whole family were a bit challenged, aparently

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Great FP!

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Remember thomsons sports shop well, got a scarf from there when I was about 10 and still have it to this day.

Pretty sure my first Hibs game was a big win over airdrie at home just before we played Porto and I wasn't allowed to go to that game as it was a night game.

Was taken to the Airdrie game by a Friends dad who was a hearts fans and who had a Hibby and hearts fan as sons.

Our scheme was full of Hibbies and as we beat hearts on the day I was born I was only ever going one way.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

I don't usually quote long posts because of the space it takes up ... but this deserves it, fantastic post mate, sums up what a lot of us feel being a football fan.

I have been through the death of more than one person dear to me, family strife, work troubles, the whole nine yards .... but through it all there has been the Hibees .... always there, always something to be part of, always something to take your mind off life's bull**** no matter how much strife they can put you through .............. non fitba folk don't get it.

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar

Thanks for sharing, that brought a wee tear to my eye.... and welcome!

Not about me but my daughter

My youngest daughter was watching the euros with me, Inverness had just been promoted to the spl for the first time.

Daughter: Dad Hibs & Caley will be in the same league next season won't they?

Me: Yeees? (not knowing where this was going some of her friends were caley fans)

Daughter: I can only support 1 team right?

Me: yes ☹️(head down now dreading where this was going)

Daughter: It should be my home team shouldn't it?

Me:☹️ ☹️ yes (we lived in Inverness now)

Daughter: After all I was born in Edinburgh

Me:😀💚💚💚😀🇳🇬🇳🇬🇳🇬 I will never love you more than I do right at this very moment 😀
    Last edited by Northern Hibby; 07-03-2017 at 10:19 PM.

Daughters at Hibs celtic final
    Attached Images Attached Images

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Fantastic original post Canuckhibee
    My daughter is my constant companion at games. I'd be lost without her now. Home and away.
    Last edited by greenlex; 08-03-2017 at 02:27 AM.

@hibs.net private member GreenLake's Avatar

Best post in a long time! I changed due to my grandfather and I liked the color green.

I kicked a ball around with some young kids in Panama City on last Christmas day and had a lot of fun. The grassy area in between the roads was sodden and I got mud all over my shoes and myself. I went to visit the Panama Canal museum and viewing area restaurant after looking a right state but it was worth it. I was wearing a Hibs top too and get enjoyment taking the Fontaine, McGinn, Crabbies and Marathon bet names to some far off and spectacular places. Holt is traveling a bit with me too these days.

I was born in Dunfermline and despite my Dad not liking football I was originally a young pars fan. My Dad then took us to Prestonpans for work and my new neighbour's dad ran the Celtic bus and got to go to the games for free so then became a Celtic fan.

I was able to play a wee bit and was so very fortunate to be an "S" form signing for Hibs and from the first day I stepped through the door I felt at home and have been a tryue Hibby ever since.

Some people are Hibs fans because their fathers were Hibs fans. I became a Hibs fan because I fell in love with the club

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by guidref View Post
    I was born in Dunfermline and despite my Dad not liking football I was originally a young pars fan. My Dad then took us to Prestonpans for work and my new neighbour's dad ran the Celtic bus and got to go to the games for free so then became a Celtic fan.

I was able to play a wee bit and was so very fortunate to be an "S" form signing for Hibs and from the first day I stepped through the door I felt at home and have been a tryue Hibby ever since.

Some people are Hibs fans because their fathers were Hibs fans. I became a Hibs fan because I fell in love with the club
    Not bad for post 5 !

@hibs.net private member
    Before my story, I have to say that is an amazing first post.

I grew up in a family where my dad couldn't care less about football, and my mum's side were all Hearts fan despite a Hibby grandad. I started supporting Hibs as a lad because Pat Stanton's parents lived nearby and he was a local hero.

I suppose it would have been easier to follow family, but I suspect I would be a Hibby now in any case as I hate cheating and all the other stuff that went on across town, and supporting Hibs would have been my "up yours" to them.

Saw a video on BBC Sport Twitter the other day about a Welsh father & son who moved up here several years ago and 'fell in love with the club' was a great wee interview and shows how brilliant a club we are.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainstandman View Post
    Still have happy flashbacks of Thompson Sports in Gorgie. The Monday after the weekend they were going to win the league I was walking to school & in the window was a t-shirt. Scottish Champions with a maroon saltire. I think it was the only morning I wanted to be at school early.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by HibernianJK View Post
    Saw a video on BBC Sport Twitter the other day about a Welsh father & son who moved up here several years ago and 'fell in love with the club' was a great wee interview and shows how brilliant a club we are.
    Could you post a link to this please? Would be good to see.
    Last edited by KdyHby; 08-03-2017 at 08:32 AM.

Left by mutual consent! WS Hibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EdinCapitals View Post
    Could you post a link to this please? Would be good to see.
    https://twitter.com/BBCSportScot/sta...82811894595586

Left by mutual consent!
    An enjoyable, heartfelt post.

The only part I'd disagree with these days is that 'to love a football club you must love the game itself'. I honestly don't think that's the case for me because much as I will always love Hibs I no longer 'love' football. Hibs are about more than football, they're in the blood. The only football I actually watch these days is Hibs matches. The rest leaves me cold. I find the hype of the overrated Premier League tiresome, while international football is simply boring. In fact, what strikes me most about football matches is how little actually happens during games, the vast majority of which are in fact dull. With Hibs, though, it's about a spiritual investment in a team, a club and a community of fans - and that never leaves you.