hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar

Old Scottish fitba grounds

Just watching some You Tube highlights of various Scottish games from the 80s and 90s and noticing some of the unusual features of stadia back in the day.

Kilbowie - what was that bizarre office block type thing behind one of the goals all about?

Broomfield - the wee pavilion in the corner which looked liked something form a cricket ground.

Old Celtic Park - what a dump that was, with the terracing behind each goal about a mile from the pitch.

Some of that charm has been lost in the era of identikit stadia, but some of the old grounds were proper middens.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

2. Log in to remove the advert

Was Kilbowie not one of the first all seated grounds? Strange wee ground that one. Must be a supermarket now.

Coaching Staff
    Albion Rover's, Cliffton Hill is a cracker & St. Johnston's Muirton was huge.

Brockville ......wi the wee bridge .🥊🥊

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just watching some You Tube highlights of various Scottish games from the 80s and 90s and noticing some of the unusual features of stadia back in the day.

Kilbowie - what was that bizarre office block type thing behind one of the goals all about?

Broomfield - the wee pavilion in the corner which looked liked something form a cricket ground.

Old Celtic Park - what a dump that was, with the terracing behind each goal about a mile from the pitch.

Some of that charm has been lost in the era of identikit stadia, but some of the old grounds were proper middens.
    I'm sure the thing behind the goals at Kilbowie was actually a social club. They had to draw the curtains once the game kicked of due to the archaic licensing laws.

@hibs.net private member
    Tynecastle with its Dickensian Main stand, smelling of brewery p1sh and signs warning people to be aware of pickpockets.

It's a shame that monument to the past is long-gone eh?!

First Team Regular NthCarolinaHibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
    Was Kilbowie not one of the first all seated grounds? Strange wee ground that one. Must be a supermarket now.
    Talked to a boy from through that way and he said it was Lidl now...

Muirton park was my first ever away game as a boy. I remember there was a clock somewhere. I was about 7 at the time so could be making that up

This Youtube channel has some great footage from grounds as they were around late 70s/early 80s.

Here's the ER link -

https://youtu.be/IrskhxNm4HY

Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    Albion Rover's, Cliffton Hill is a cracker & St. Johnston's Muirton was huge.

Muirton was a nice stadium, but huge? Nah.

Celtc Park was the biggest midden around.

On the flip side cathkin park could get a new lease of life.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/opinio...h_for_the_sky/

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    The pitch at Muirton was reputed to be the biggest in the country i.e. the maximum size permitted under the rules.

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    The pitch at Muirton was reputed to be the biggest in the country i.e. the maximum size permitted under the rules.

I remember being crammed into the old terracing at Celtic Park for the 93 LC final. No way that was safe that day.

Not so fond memories of a midweek defeat standing on the old terracing at Starks Park and a Saturday humping at Brockville. Vaguely remember the pre development Rugby Park. Ochilview for a SC tie (I daresay that hasn't changed much). The old Bayview for a pre season friendly, Kilbowie in the SC (when Clydebank were sponsorsed by Wet Wet Wet), Boghead in the adventure season.

If it was possible find a way to find a happy medium between some of these old grounds and some of the bland lego stadium there is now it would be a winner.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    One I always found strange id the main stand at Motherwell, which stops about 20yds short of it's roof structure (apparently due to a land dispute when it was built in the 60s).

Are you still allowed to use square posts or do they have to be round?

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    One I always found strange id the main stand at Motherwell, which stops about 20yds short of it's roof structure (apparently due to a land dispute when it was built in the 60s).
    Aye, built with the money received for Ian St John to Liverpool, but housing at one end??
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzywuzzy View Post
    Are you still allowed to use square posts or do they have to be round?
    From the SFA rules:

Goals
    A goal must be placed on the centre of each goal line.

A goal consists of two vertical posts equidistant from the corner flagposts and joined at the top by a horizontal crossbar. The goalposts and crossbar must be made of approved material. They must be square, rectangular, round or elliptical in shape and must not be dangerous.

The distance between the inside of the posts is 7.32m (8yds) and the distance from the lower edge of the crossbar to the ground is 2.44m (8ft).

The position of the goalposts in relation to the goal line must be in accordance with the graphics.

The goalposts and the crossbar must be white and have the same width and depth, which must not exceed 12cm (5ins).

If the crossbar becomes displaced or broken, play is stopped until it has been repaired or replaced in position. If it can not be repaired the match must be abandoned. A rope or any flexible or dangerous material may not replace the crossbar. Play is restarted with a dropped ball.

Nets may be attached to the goals and the ground behind the goal; they must be properly supported and must not interfere with the goalkeeper.

Testimonial Due
    Old Hampden was a real dump, with shale terracing held back with planks of wood.
    I was there for the 0-0 Scotland England game with 137,000 in the ground back around 1968-70.
    We were crammed in like sardines and it was totally unsafe, any goal mouth action caused a sway, and if not for the barriers hundreds could have been injured at the least!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alfiembra View Post
    Correct.I first saw John Brownlie there.He came on as an early sub for Chris Shevlane and laid on two goals.Couldn't believe my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by greenlad View Post
    Tynecastle with its Dickensian Main stand, smelling of brewery p1sh and signs warning people to be aware of pickpockets.

It's a shame that monument to the past is long-gone eh?!
    😂😂

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfiembra View Post
    Correct, glad someone else remembers, it was a huge pitch.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by where'stheslope View Post
    Old Hampden was a real dump, with shale terracing held back with planks of wood.
    I was there for the 0-0 Scotland England game with 137,000 in the ground back around 1968-70.
    We were crammed in like sardines and it was totally unsafe, any goal mouth action caused a sway, and if not for the barriers hundreds could have been injured at the least!!!
    Rember that, couldn't move my arms.

@hibs.net private member MartinfaePorty's Avatar
    I used to like the old Celtic Park. Terracing under cover meant no matter how small the away support was, the sound was bounced back down and it appeared that you were always out singing the home support.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    This Youtube channel has some great footage from grounds as they were around late 70s/early 80s.

Here's the ER link -

https://youtu.be/IrskhxNm4HY
    Loved that, thanks for putting it up. 1980 was the year I first started going with my best mate Chink. Looks bleak but some happy memories especially as a 14 year looking up at Shaws Heights thinking how great it must have been in its heyday. Remember beating hearts in a Tom Hart shield match 1980 or 81 and was a low crowd all gathered towards the Dunbar Road end and when we scored the winner late on everyone exploded with joy and danced all along the east. Happy memories but changing times meant we had to change with it hence the wonderful new stadium we now have which as we have seen recently can produce the atmosphere of days gone by.

First Team Breakthrough glenn6270's Avatar
    Old love street in the away shed was quality

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzywuzzy View Post
    On the flip side cathkin park could get a new lease of life.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/opinio...h_for_the_sky/

Found myself in Glasgow about this time last year and passed the sign so stopped the car and had a wee look around and took some pics for my dad who told me he used to travel through.

Quite a strange feeling standing on the old terrace that was overgrown with trees and bushes.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 0762; 03-03-2017 at 08:44 PM.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Scotland and England locked horns for the first time at the West of Scotland cricket ground, is there still a cricket ground or sports ground there now?

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal G View Post
    Loved that, thanks for putting it up. 1980 was the year I first started going with my best mate Chink. Looks bleak but some happy memories especially as a 14 year looking up at Shaws Heights thinking how great it must have been in its heyday. Remember beating hearts in a Tom Hart shield match 1980 or 81 and was a low crowd all gathered towards the Dunbar Road end and when we scored the winner late on everyone exploded with joy and danced all along the east. Happy memories but changing times meant we had to change with it hence the wonderful new stadium we now have which as we have seen recently can produce the atmosphere of days gone by.
    79/80 was my first season home and away. We used to stand right in front of the old TV scaffold gantry in the east. Used to take an age getting to our position from when we came through the turnstiles. Up hundreds of stairs then half-way down the giant terrace on the other side. Glad I was around to see the full transition of the ground from how it was then to what we have now.