hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2 in a row could happen, it really could

I mean can you imagine if they did the impossible, win tomorrow and it's only 2 games from reality, it could happen it really could

2. Log in to remove the advert

Testimonial Due
    Yeah I know mate and that would be brilliant but automatic promotion takes top priority over everything else as far as I'm concerned.

Left by mutual consent!
    All I care about is winning tomorrow just now.

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    Best case scenario tomorrow, big win to take us through to next round and lift confidence.

Worst case scenario is a draw. I'd rather lose than have another game to distract from the league. Get through this then it's two additional games, one after the league is over so no reason why we can't do both automatic promotion and the cup but a win tomorrow is a must.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by ian cruise View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Best case scenario tomorrow, big win to take us through to next round and lift confidence.

Worst case scenario is a draw. I'd rather lose than have another game to distract from the league. Get through this then it's two additional games, one after the league is over so no reason why we can't do both automatic promotion and the cup but a win tomorrow is a must.
    You'd rather lose than face a replay? No way dude.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    The way Celtc are playing this season, the remaining teams will need to achieve something extraordinary to stop them. It's a long shot for the rest of us, but not impossible. Promotion is much more important; we should be finishing ahead of the other Championship teams.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Quote Originally Posted by JackLadd View Post
    You'd rather lose than face a replay? No way dude.
    It's one of the few times I'd rather lose. I want us to win, I'm not saying I'd rather we were out of the cup so we can concentrate on the league but I really believe the extra games last season cost us in the end and we're racking up injuries so one more midweek game and reschedule is the late thing we need, we can't afford to let Dundee UTD or Morton back in to the title race and put unnecessary pressure on ourselves. Get through this round then next game is April, league should be done and dusted by then and no risk of replay.

For what it's worth I think we will win by 2 tomorrow, I was just saying what the best and worst case scenarios were in my opinion.

I'm probably in the minority here but give me the Scottish cup over promotion every day of the week. I'd rather have the memories of 2007 league cup and 21/05/16 over playing in the premiership.

What is so good about it really? Everyone competing to be runners up to celtic, going to dens park instead of Tannadice, playing in rubbish grounds as bad as the championship etc.

Quote Originally Posted by lugz View Post
    I'm probably in the minority here but give me the Scottish cup over promotion every day of the week. I'd rather have the memories of 2007 league cup and 21/05/16 over playing in the premiership.

What is so good about it really? Everyone competing to be runners up to celtic, going to dens park instead of Tannadice, playing in rubbish grounds as bad as the championship etc.
    If we stayed down I doubt we'd continue to be able to keep attracting the player we have (who some already believe aren't good enough) and we'd begin to slip down the standing in Scottish football so days like 21st May would be even more infrequent. Get up, establish ourselves as a force in the league, attract the absolute best player we can and reap the rewards for longer.

I don't think fans would react to another cup win with no promotion this time as they did last year. It was a special achievement that allowed the club unheard of goodwill. If we'd lost then this season would have been very different.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    If we stayed down I doubt we'd continue to be able to keep attracting the player we have (who some already believe aren't good enough) and we'd begin to slip down the standing in Scottish football so days like 21st May would be even more infrequent. Get up, establish ourselves as a force in the league, attract the absolute best player we can and reap the rewards for longer.

I don't think fans would react to another cup win with no promotion this time as they did last year. It was a special achievement that allowed the club unheard of goodwill. If we'd lost then this season would have been very different.
    Fully agree with this. As one of the biggest clubs in Scotland, long term second tier status is unthinkable.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member Hibernianinc's Avatar

I agree. 2 in a row would be epic. A feat that only the OF (rip) achieved.

@hibs.net private member Hibernianinc's Avatar
    so days like 21st May would be even more infrequent..
    Yip, those 114 years just rattled by......

It's not as simple as that. The financial impact on the club, if it were to stay in this awful league for a fourth season, would be very serious IMO.

The club has 11,300 season ticket holders largely on the good will generated by the Scottish Cup win. We don't want to throw that away. If Hibs get promoted I suspect that number could be exceeded. Stay down, and it will decrease, possibly substantially.

Not going up would have a domino effect. The club would have less money to retain its better players, some of whom would want to leave anyway, and they would be under greater financial pressure to sell. In turn, it becomes harder to attract a higher standard of player to the club.

Personally, I would rather watch Hibs playing at ER against Celtic, Aberdeen, Hearts and The Rangers (even more gate receipts etc for the club playing against these clubs) than say Ayr United, Dumbarton, Raith Rovers and Falkirk parking the bus, time wasting etc and booting us off the park.

@hibs.net private member
    There's every chance because the players only seem interested in playing in the cup and not the league.

Quote Originally Posted by emerald green View Post
    It's not as simple as that. The financial impact on the club, if it were to stay in this awful league for a fourth season, would be very serious IMO.

The club has 11,300 season ticket holders largely on the good will generated by the Scottish Cup win. We don't want to throw that away. If Hibs get promoted I suspect that number could be exceeded. Stay down, and it will decrease, possibly substantially.

Not going up would have a domino effect. The club would have less money to retain its better players, some of whom would want to leave anyway, and they would be under greater financial pressure to sell. In turn, it becomes harder to attract a higher standard of player to the club.

Personally, I would rather watch Hibs playing at ER against Celtic, Aberdeen, Hearts and The Rangers (even more gate receipts etc for the club playing against these clubs) than say Ayr United, Dumbarton, Raith Rovers and Falkirk parking the bus, time wasting etc and booting us off the park.
    That's optimistic mate, they might not make it past this month

I get the financial benefits of going up but I'm 30 this year and have only witnessed 2 trophy wins (I can't remember 1991) so any chance we have to win I'd take that over promotion to a league we'll never win.

We'll always have a big enough fan base to compete at the top end of the championship so promotion would happen at some point, we can't say the same for Scottish cup wins.

If we get past Ayr it will be very tough. Be happy with another lucrative semi though. I'd imagine it would be us, Celtic, Dons and Hamilton in semi.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelTheCelt View Post
    That's optimistic mate, they might not make it past this month
    I would pish myself laughing were that to happen, but I don't think it will somehow.

Here we go

Left by mutual consent!
    After a bit of thought i would take us winning the Scottish Cup one more time instead of going up this year. Being the only club in Edinburgh to win back to back Scottish Cups would be worth another year in the championship.

Plus if we were to win it then we would go down as the club who beat an unbeatable Celtic team and lifted the Scottish Cup again, it would be some story.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernianinc View Post
    Aberdeen in the 80,s won five if I remember or maybe I need less illcohol!
    1981/82/83 and later in the 80,s another twice I think.
    Last edited by HibbyDave; 03-03-2017 at 06:38 PM.

Can see where your coming from but we absolutely need to be in the premiership. Last year we were saved financially because of the cup win. Playing in the SPL pulls in bigger crowds, attracts a higher calibre of player and gives us the status we deserve. I will never accept hibs playing in a lower league, its absolutely not where we should be.

Winning 2 in a row would be beyond incredible but we really need to get ourselves up this season, we cannot spend another season here im afraid.

We need to win the Championship and get back to where we belong.

Anything else is just a nice dream, and a bit of distraction.

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    I want a win tomorrow, but I'd rather lose than draw. It's quite an odd position I know, but we need the players to get a full weeks recovery to sort out some of the minor knocks we're clearly carrying.

I want both.

@hibs.net private member GreenLake's Avatar
    We could also do the 3peat next season as well as a Leicester on the SPFL title.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JackLadd View Post
    All I care about is winning tomorrow just now.
    Likewise. I keep reading people who bring up the league when talking about tomorrow. The league is an irrelevance until 5pm tomorrow. Let's go out and book our place at Hampden.

Totally agree. The only reason for getting promoted is financial, nowt to do with the football.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve20 View Post
    There's every chance because the players only seem interested in playing in the cup and not the league.
    It's strange, we seem to have become more of a cup team in recent years. Even when we were REALLY ***** (under Fenlon) we still made back to back Scottish Cup finals.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernianinc View Post
    Along with Queens park, vale of Leven, and Aberdeen.

Would still be an incredible achievement though.

I'll just take promotion and the cup win. Keeps everyone happy that way. 😊