hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Super John McGinn

Surely young John is 'the' outstanding young scottish player in the game. He is scary good and thought he was brilliant tonight save for a couple of slack passes but otherwise just superb, what a talent.

glory glory

2. Log in to remove the advert

Honestly didn't think SJM played that great tonight. Absolutely no complaints about his contribution but thought he was pretty quiet.

What a talent the lad is though. Seems to have his head screwed on and I reckon he will acknowledge he needs another season at hibs (in the tip flight) before moving on to bigger and better things. Achieved a helluva lot for such a young man

First Team Breakthrough
    He gets in front of his man so well and his change of pace is frightening! Am sure i was standing next to his wee brother tonight!

First Team Breakthrough cabbage_88's Avatar
    Would give every hibs players tonight at least 8 or 9/10 but would give SJM a 10+! Absolutely outstanding performance, ran the show! Cannot believe we got a guy of this quality on a 4 year deal! Different class

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    SJM really is better than zidane he had no right to win back a couple of loose balls, but he did, not one failure in that team tonight every man done his job, take a bow the lot of them inc manager/coaches/ballboys/catering staff

@hibs.net private member
    He worked his socks off but it was not his best game. He lost control or gave it away to cheaply at times but he never hid but never MOTM

@hibs.net private member Alex Trager's Avatar
    I thought he was a world apart tonight. He was superb.

Really.
    I never seen sauzee latapy etc, just too young but I honestly think he is th best player I have seen in a hibs shirt.

Remember the guys age as well! He's very early in his career which I have no doubt will be bigger much bigger than hibs.

He's still learning but he is phenomenal.
    He can be slack at times but that's why the rest of the team are. To help.

Testimonial Due NadeAteMyLunch!'s Avatar
    Phenomenal tonight. Ran them ragged. How he won the ball back in their box at one point in the second half I'll never know.

He was poor tonight and would be the first to admit it...worked hard, but his passing was poor and held on to the ball too long.

I love the man. Makes me smile when I think of him

Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He was poor tonight and would be the first to admit it...worked hard, but his passing was poor and held on to the ball too long.
    I would agree with this in so much as he let the ball get away from him a bit too much and ran into blind alleys a few times when he should have passed .... but his attitude was brilliant and he chased down everything SJM brings it even when he isn't playing so well.

My MOM was Fontaine FWIW

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Yup. Sometimes the simple thing is best particuksrly in these games. Won his tackles and worked his socks off. Thattll do for starters.

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Interesting

I have thought he has played well below the standards he set last season virtually all this year and I have also been a bit concerned he hasn't shown the same energy levels as before

I thought today was a lot more like the SJM we know, I wouldn't disagree that he held on to it too long on occasion, but I thought his passing was better tonight than it has been, not brilliant but much improved.

Funny how people see things differently

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    I agree with this.

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Inevitable sadly. Long term replacement for Brown you would have to say. One things for sure let the bidding commence at £3.5million

Left by mutual consent!
    John Mcginn could easily have used not going up last season as a fair excuse to get away. He didn't and neither did any of the others.

I want most of these guys to stay but if they move on fair enough but if they get us up then it was a pleasure to have them here to finish the job.

I'd rather sell him for less to a club down south, we'll never get anywhere selling our best players to domestic rivals.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    I'd rather sell him for less to a club down south, we'll never get anywhere selling our best players to domestic rivals.
    Agree. Don't sell him to league rivals, which they will be next season. We've started to act like a big club and we need to maintain that. That means not bowing down to Celtic if they come calling.

Quote Originally Posted by BSEJVT View Post
    Interesting

I have thought he has played well below the standards he set last season virtually all this year and I have also been a bit concerned he hasn't shown the same energy levels as before

I thought today was a lot more like the SJM we know, I wouldn't disagree that he held on to it too long on occasion, but I thought his passing was better tonight than it has been, not brilliant but much improved.

Funny how people see things differently
    That was some pass he made to Humphrey that led to the injury. Could have easily scored from his cross.

@hibs.net private member
    Can't believe anyone thought he was poor the other night. He was absolutely superb. People must actually want a better than Zidane performance if that's what you're going to call poor.

Testimonial Due Booked4Being-Ugly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve20 View Post
    Can't believe anyone thought he was poor the other night. He was absolutely superb. People must actually want a better than Zidane performance if that's what you're going to call poor.
    Totally agree, yes he gave the ball away a couple of times but the reason we skelped those jambo phuds was partly due to the fact that SJM and MB owned the midfield.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    In what alternative universe are Celtic our rivals in a league context?

With or without McGinn they've got next season won already - they're so far ahead of the rest of us.

Rivals next season, assuming we're up there, will be Aberdeen, Hearts and Der Hun.

If he's to leave, I'd much rather it was down south though obviously.

I reckon we'll 1 top flight season out of him then he'll be off.

If Celtic come in for him and they profess to now being a Champions League club then I'd expect them to pay a Champions League transfer fee which starts at £4.5m+

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve20 View Post
    I agree with you.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    If we sell in the summer, then it has to go to the highest bidder, and if that is celtic then so be it.

They are so far ahead it makes no difference we are making them stronger, if they don't buy SJM they will just get someone else in who's equally good.

Selling Scott Allan to the huns was completely different, they WERE our competitors.

Once again we find ourselves with a very saleable asset, and again its about replacing him with maybe 2 or 3 players who will make the whole team stronger.

Lets hope we can do that as well if not better than we did with the Scott Allan transfer money.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    If we sell in the summer, then it has to go to the highest bidder, and if that is celtic then so be it.

They are so far ahead it makes no difference we are making them stronger, if they don't buy SJM they will just get someone else in who's equally good.

Selling Scott Allan to the huns was completely different, they WERE our competitors.

Once again we find ourselves with a very saleable asset, and again its about replacing him with maybe 2 or 3 players who will make the whole team stronger.

Lets hope we can do that as well if not better than we did with the Scott Allan transfer money.
    £12m and Griffiths is a decent opening bid. :o)

He was raging with himself before the game even started. Watching him in the warmup he couldn't connect with anything and you could see the frustration in his face. Wasn't happy with himself at all.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3pm View Post
    £12m and Griffiths is a decent opening bid. :o)
    Aye i think i'd take that.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzywuzzy View Post
    He was raging with himself before the game even started. Watching him in the warmup he couldn't connect with anything and you could see the frustration in his face. Wasn't happy with himself at all.
    This post is masterclass in creative extrapolation.

I though he worked really hard, took the wrong option a few times, but showed his class and fighting spirit often. A great effort which helped us control midfield.